Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lawlicaust posted:

Some people on the beta forums did the math for time required to max weapons in SWL. 160 AP not counting capstones. 30k per AP. At a rate of 8 Carpathian Fangs missions that reward around 8k each, it will take 7 months per weapon to max each new weapons actives. Passives take a little longer.

Buying that 160 AP from the cash shop would be around 5500 Aurum which would cost 300 MoF each at the maximum exchange rate. So about 1.5m marks. Which is roughly 100 days. So it currency takes less time to grind out cash shop currently to buy AP than to get it from quests.

You know what? I'm thinking I might give it a couple weeks after launch before I jump in.

Just to see if they tune things a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DancingShade posted:

You know what? I'm thinking I might give it a couple weeks after launch before I jump in.

The only pro I currently see to jumping in a launch is to be able to manipulate the Marks -> Aurum Exchange to make a bunch of Aurum/Marks before it gets too expensive and while people are dumb. That depends on a lot of things though including people actually shelling out money for this garbage which is a big if right now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lawlicaust posted:

The only pro I currently see to jumping in a launch is to be able to manipulate the Marks -> Aurum Exchange to make a bunch of Aurum/Marks before it gets too expensive and while people are dumb. That depends on a lot of things though including people actually shelling out money for this garbage which is a big if right now.

I was ready to jump in at launch but if the core game play loop is that hosed, forget it.

It's not like I'm playing actively now. I'm happy to wait and see.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DancingShade posted:

joke's on you sucker, by the time you start playing I'll already be 10% of the way to mastering my first weapon!!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aye Doc posted:

joke's on you sucker, by the time you start playing I'll already be 10% of the way to mastering my first weapon!!

Maybe i'll wait an extra month so you can get to 15% to make it interesting for me when I try to catch up.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Maybe i'll wait an extra month so you can get to 15% to make it interesting for me when I try to catch up.

the secret world is a race where there really are no winners

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This is especially painful because they're asking us to trade in our old, fully-featured, not-very-grindy-in-the-long-run game for one where we're treated almost just as bad as the F2P scum and have to dump hundreds of hours into stuff we've already done multiple times to get a fraction of stuff we've already had for years.

This is an insulting loving slap in the face so far.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I mean, to be fair all I had left to do were NM Raids, but this is just not adding much content I don't think.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lawlicaust posted:

Some people on the beta forums did the math for time required to max weapons in SWL. 160 AP not counting capstones. 30k per AP. At a rate of 8 Carpathian Fangs missions that reward around 8k each, it will take 7 months per weapon to max each new weapons actives. Passives take a little longer.

Buying that 160 AP from the cash shop would be around 5500 Aurum which would cost 300 MoF each at the maximum exchange rate. So about 1.5m marks. Which is roughly 100 days. So it currency takes less time to grind out cash shop currently to buy AP than to get it from quests.

If this were any other studio my gut reaction would be "They're going to see that too and it'll certainly be fixed in the launch patch."

But this is Funcom so who knows.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Tallgeese posted:

I mean, to be fair all I had left to do were NM Raids, but this is just not adding much content I don't think.

No new content outside of a new tutorial and a few small changes to the main story. No raids, nightmares, or tokyo at launch. No more battlegrounds or fusang; only Shambala (which is new but who knows how good it is because it's been broken as gently caress since introduced).

The only content addition that might happen is a raid in Kingsmouth but so far the only thing is the entrance portal. That's also likely going to be months after launch. I'll genuinely be surprised if Tokyo comes out this year.

So yeah no new content until 2018 at the earliest.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Isn't TSWL also actively removing some quest content?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Schubalts posted:

Isn't TSWL also actively removing some quest content?

Only the faction vs. Faction quests like parking garage and some side quests in the first few zones.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Lawlicaust posted:

Well, I was going to post a lovely grinder meme, but apparently grinders mean something different nowadays.

Holy poo poo though.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

"Assault Rifles until the grind bores me" it is!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Breidr posted:

Well, I was going to post a lovely grinder meme, but apparently grinders mean something different nowadays.

Holy poo poo though.

So I realized reading my post that it was unclear and going back to edit it. As it reads now it sounds like 7 months for all actives. How it should read is 7 months per weapon. So years of dailies. And much longer for passives.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

So I realized reading my post that it was unclear and going back to edit it. As it reads now it sounds like 7 months for all actives. How it should read is 7 months per weapon. So years of dailies. And much longer for passives.

oh man, that means i get to play this wonderful game for years and years more to unlock all of this amazing content!

why am i still anticipating this

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Aye Doc posted:

oh man, that means i get to play this wonderful game for years and years more to unlock all of this amazing content!

why am i still anticipating this

Because it's the only MMO out there with a different setting that could be really good if it had the right team and resources behind it. It isn't more stock fantasy.

Unfortunately, Funcom seems to have no idea how to overhaul it or no resources to overhaul the game so they fake it:

It needs to be more action oriented like ESO, Neverwinter, etc. Ok, lets make reticle targeting. But that's to hard to do right so let's just fake it with a UI that does a target lock on the last enemy targeted.

New players found the skill wheel and weapon interactions confusing. Ok, no more weapon interactions st all. Each weapon is self-contained and we cherry picked the best abilities. To make them seem like new and revamped abilities, we renamed them and gave them new animations. Oh and each weapon has a gimmick that's really just some form of stacking buff or ring that's basically an Elite Passive. And let's do a second starting tutorial just to make the new player experience that much worse.

We need to monetized the game. Ok, limit absolutely every part of the game and have daily currency or RMT to get around limits. Make it such a grind that the few players that don't give up have to pay a sub and $100s of dollars to progress.

PvP sucked, Fusang was half-assed, our servers couldn't support it. Remove all PvP, introduce a new Battleground that we had 90% done 5 years ago and call it new content.

Etc.

Funcom has addressed everything by picking pretty much the worst possible solution from the list. If they had just revamped skills and loot, added all the QoL upgrades and monetized convenience in some areas (weapons, inventory, buyable AP/SP) without making it a ridiculous grind without spending money, the relaunch would be in a good place. But 90% of what is wrong is that they decided to monetize and limit literally everything you do in game. They might as well give you loving energy like it's a mobile game (which they effectively are with the dailies, severe AP/SP gain nerfs, and keys).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What reason is there to play SWL when TSW has more content and less grind?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It'll all depend on the update schedule. If Legends gets actual content it'll be no contest. If it lives that long.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
And to believe I was actually excited about the relaunch. Shoulda known Funcom would find a way to somehow make it worse.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Lawlicaust posted:

Would you like to supersize that?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Leave it to Funcom to make a game which I will start playing already pre-dissapointed

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

What reason is there to play SWL when TSW has more content and less grind?

Not sure yet but people have put forth compelling reasons not to play.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

This is all so depressing... and so, so, SO Funcom.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

As stupid as everything is, I still find SWL in its current state more fun to play than TSW, but I'm also a broken man who likes grinds and spending time on incremental upgrades. Plus if you already owned TSW you're supposed to get all the weapon pages unlocked for free, which should save a fuckload of time and tokens.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
From what I understand, you get the WEAPONS for free, but the abilities are still a grind.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

From what I understand, you get the WEAPONS for free, but the abilities are still a grind.

Correct. You unlock all the weapons but can't realistically use more than 2 because of the massive grind.

1-50 let's you max the actives of 2 weapons and get about half the passives for each (of all passives for 1). Every set of actives after that is about 5 million xp at 8-10k a quest. So about 500 quest completes to unlock the actives for a weapon and about 1000 for the passives.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 15, 2017

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Well yeah, it's still a grind but you'll save some time since each page unlock becomes increasingly more expensive. A free bonus is a free bonus :shrug:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

novaSphere posted:

Well yeah, it's still a grind but you'll save some time since each page unlock becomes increasingly more expensive. A free bonus is a free bonus :shrug:

We get a couple more crumbs for our head start on making a loaf of bread.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Is this like that other Funcom game The Secret World where I'm going to cherry pick specific abilities/passives I want and then spend the vast majority of the game buying random crap abilities for no reason other than I have the points to spend, or am I going to feel compelled to do a 500/1000 quest grind via some new mechanic?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Conskill posted:

Is this like that other Funcom game The Secret World where I'm going to cherry pick specific abilities/passives I want and then spend the vast majority of the game buying random crap abilities for no reason other than I have the points to spend, or am I going to feel compelled to do a 500/1000 quest grind via some new mechanic?

There are only 15 abilities per weapon now. Most of them are impactful. You can only fill out two weapons unless you want to grind your face off.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

No new content outside of a new tutorial and a few small changes to the main story. No raids, nightmares, or tokyo at launch. No more battlegrounds or fusang; only Shambala (which is new but who knows how good it is because it's been broken as gently caress since introduced).

The only content addition that might happen is a raid in Kingsmouth but so far the only thing is the entrance portal. That's also likely going to be months after launch. I'll genuinely be surprised if Tokyo comes out this year.

So yeah no new content until 2018 at the earliest.

So basically they are not looking for returning players. They are looking for new ones. Given that the reports around when the game launched were that it only sold about 200,000 copies of the game. They are probably thinking there is a market somewhere for the remaining population of the planet. They are doing the whole mobile free to play aspects because honestly they look at all the other games doing it and they are more popular than TSW. They did the right thing years ago with the base game with all the freedom of movement in the skill wheel and making a totally different styled MMO. No one played it so they are going to drag this corpse out and skull gently caress everyone.

Gonna be fun to watch people wait for Tokyo again. Watch a bunch of new people jump in on the steam release only to realize they would rather play the original version and want to know why they just heard of the game now.

To be honest they would have been better off just letting this game either die or if they love the loving IP so much just make TSW2 (Single Player) in the Unreal Engine. Its obvious given the way the revamp is going that they fired nearly everyone on their staff that made/knows their in house engine. This is not FFXIV where they launched unplayable garbage and they roped someone with charisma to literally polish that turd elbows deep into something playable and relaunch it. This is APB Reloaded. Add nothing, charge for everything and pretend there is big updates because the company that made the game went under and you have no one on staff that knows how to make more game.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Hell now that I think about it they could just make "Secret World: Exiles" and just keep making that survival game money. They obviously know a lot about survival given that Funcom is still a company that apparently makes games.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Surprisingly, Funcom has gotten several rounds of funding from venture capitalists recently... not that it shows in SWL.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Amante posted:

Surprisingly, Funcom has gotten several rounds of funding from venture capitalists recently... not that it shows in SWL.

They're smart enough to only invest in things that make money.

Hopefully it's being spent on worthwhile things like more Conan and/or Dreamfall.

Sad about TSW being in this state - abandoned limbo or a half stillborn reboot. I guess that's just how things go though.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 16, 2017

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Drinkfist posted:

Hell now that I think about it they could just make "Secret World: Exiles" and just keep making that survival game money. They obviously know a lot about survival given that Funcom is still a company that apparently makes games.

A big "goof around/investigate crazy poo poo and maybe get eaten by a wendigo" "survival" game in The Secret World's setting might be more financially sound than this player-hating relaunch.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm one of those lunatics who enjoyed the Museum of the Occult. Has that transferred over to Legends?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm one of those lunatics who enjoyed the Museum of the Occult. Has that transferred over to Legends?

Yes. They removed most of the AP costs too and the exhibits give permentant buffs. The buffs are really weak and buggy now though. And the text prompts for most of it haven't been changed.

Also there is a new ARG:

http://www.kissoftherevenant.com

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

That's good the Museum made it over. Did they reorganize the wings at all? A few exhibits had weird placement before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lawlicaust posted:

Yes. They removed most of the AP costs too and the exhibits give permentant buffs. The buffs are really weak and buggy now though. And the text prompts for most of it haven't been changed.

Also there is a new ARG:

http://www.kissoftherevenant.com

There answers for this? Just want the stuff really.