Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Here's the question I have: As someone who played TSW just for the story, lore, etc. and never really gave a poo poo about the gameplay and combat mechanics how hard is it going to be for me to get back through it all and in position for the mythical season 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lawlicaust posted:

Some people on the beta forums did the math for time required to max weapons in SWL. 160 AP not counting capstones. 30k per AP. At a rate of 8 Carpathian Fangs missions that reward around 8k each, it will take 7 months per weapon to max each new weapons actives. Passives take a little longer.

Buying that 160 AP from the cash shop would be around 5500 Aurum which would cost 300 MoF each at the maximum exchange rate. So about 1.5m marks. Which is roughly 100 days. So it currency takes less time to grind out cash shop currently to buy AP than to get it from quests.

If this were any other studio my gut reaction would be "They're going to see that too and it'll certainly be fixed in the launch patch."

But this is Funcom so who knows.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

GEMorris posted:

I currently make several multiples of what I made at that terrible job

Oh please spill some dirt on that experience.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Capntastic posted:

Has Funcom talked about their roadmap for this yet?

Right on cue... https://secretworldlegends.com/update-roadmap/

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Update is live adding to SWL more of the Transylvania story.

Paypal is also now accepted for transactions.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Shockeh posted:

So is 'regular' TSW still alive too?

Yes, but it's now in maintenance mode. No future updates for TSW.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I'm an old TSW player who did the whole story they released but I've been holding off on SWL until they have something truly new.

How much is left of the TSW content to put into SWL now and what's the timetable they're saying for new content?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Also is it just me or is the lip sync a lot worse in the trailer than it has been?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I guess it says a lot about current interest level in the game that the first new content in years is coming (and in under a month!) and it's barely gotten a half dozen comments here.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

TracerM17 posted:

... and just like that MMHO>Secret World II: The Legend of Amiel's Monetization becomes a bug report forum.

This is a Funcom game. It's been that since launch.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

theflyingorc posted:

The cache code is weirdly specialized (I wrote it, quickly, with the understanding that it was single-purpose at the time), but otherwise yeah

I'm pushing for something like the above, but there's several options in the air right now and we'll see where we land.

It's not that it's a problem, it's that making the new content killed the design and art teams for a few months (much like how it's murdering QA right now) and we're finally getting breathing room to just work on problems instead of a mad dash to get stuff out the door

Since you don't hear it often around here, thanks for what you're doing. It's appreciated.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Secret World's getting a new game director again

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ossipago posted:

Quarterly financial report just released (http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2019/Funcom_2Q19_Report_M2w9cS.pdfhttp://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2019/Funcom_2Q19_Report_M2w9cS.pdf). Wasn't the NC team the ones working on SWL? Sounds like they're off the game entirely. Knew the game was in maintenance mode, but maybe it really is just an intern project at this point.

I mean it doesn’t say NC is working EXCLUSIVELY on any one title, but the fact that SWL doesn’t even get mentioned anywhere should be telling enough.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Apparently there might be a new ARG for Secret World? That’s been a hot minute.

https://twitter.com/Cyranostory

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pilchenstein posted:

I doubt the new owners give much of a gently caress either way? You buy a company because you're interested in the money it makes, not the games

Owners definitely can and do choose what games to focus on based on money-making potential though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

theflyingorc posted:

You have a lot of fundamental misunderstandings of what Funcom's problems are.

Most of their MMOs haven't made enough money to support further development properly, that's it, that's the problem.

Bingo. I remember in Funcom’s first investor report after Secret World launched they said they had projected for 2 million users and ended up with only about 500k. It doesn’t take an economics expert to see why the budget suddenly got slashed.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

I like Solomon Island and it's a great tip of the iceberg. There's parts I love about the other zones but if it was just a zombie apocalypse I wouldn't keep going back to this game

I really wish they would just write some books or something because I want to know how the story ends but I get the feeling they don't know how the story ends

My understanding is that before Ragnar Tornquist left he wrote a story bible for Secret World that gave its future direction, so I think they know. Whether it’s ever implemented is another matter.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Archonex posted:

TSW was popular at one point, but constant cutbacks leading to setbacks lead to the interest going down.

There is some wildly revisionist history here. TSW was never popular enough to turn a profit.

I remember reading the Funcom investor reports after it came out. They had forecast 1 - 1.5 million players when budgeting for the game. They peaked post launch at around 300k. The game was not profitable under their existing plans below 500k. Massive cutbacks were inevitable.

Were they being wildly over-optimistic on their projections? Probably. But Funcom isn’t a large enough company with enough other titles to sustain them to just indefinitely throw money at TSW and hope it can catch fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

I just want a MMO with a modern setting to come out and not immediately die. Everything about the setting of TSW/SWL is very much my jam

Fantasy settings are probably the most boring settings imaginable and that's what the majority of MMOs use

I was psyched when BioWare Austin announced that Shadow Realms game that looked a lot like TSW. Then it got quietly canned in development.