Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Played a bit of beta and was overwhelmed with how much things had been changed, not always necessarily for the better.

For those who've played a bunch, is there any real element of customization at higher levels like there used to be? Experimenting with builds was one of my favorite things about the game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

My vote is also for Funcompetence, but if it's filtered... Let's Bee Friends.

Gonna take another whack at the beta. Do Dragon still have the BJ intro? Edit: Of course they do.

Amante fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 10, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

So, if I'm understanding things correctly... current closed beta is just beta and will be wiped; actual game goes live on the 23rd?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

I'm so excited for this game to disappoint me all over again
Same. That'd make a good thread title btw

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

They think doubling down on the skinner box will save the game; it will not.

All that work to ultimately maintain the same small group of no-lifers that already played it before, and would in any form. Sad.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

"Assault Rifles until the grind bores me" it is!

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

This is all so depressing... and so, so, SO Funcom.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Surprisingly, Funcom has gotten several rounds of funding from venture capitalists recently... not that it shows in SWL.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

That's good the Museum made it over. Did they reorganize the wings at all? A few exhibits had weird placement before.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Beta ended yesterday, so that would probably be why.

e;fb

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

SWL will launch with a golem event that rewards a currency you can turn in for level 1 green weapons.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Is there any way to upgrade item quality pips? For that matter, are the dungeon drop talismans with special effects worth using if they're 1 or 2 pips?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

That's not what he's asking. He's asking if you can turn a faded into a luminous and a luminous into a radiant. You can but it costs Aurum. It's in the fusion tab.
Ah, that settles that then...

How big of a difference is there between faded, luminous, and radiant in terms of stats anyway? Should I be aiming to get radiant items before upgrading heavily?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Character name is Lefin, invite please :)

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

On now as Lefin, could I get a cabal invite?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

It's the ultimate game for people who hated the original but for some reason still wanted to play it. If you actually enjoyed it... go elsewhere, SWL isn't for you.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Drinkfist posted:

I like how everything that I actually enjoyed about the bad original TSW has been removed to make this a better overall poo poo game.
Streamlined poo poo (TM)

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Shotgun and Pistol were tempting. Chose AR.

Len posted:

Man they've needed that since 2012
Pretty much. People have been asking--quite reasonably--why Funcom can't just take the AH/exchange servers down while people play the rest of the game... I doubt they have the ability to, tbh.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

F by default. Make sure your reticle is over her as well.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

More info on dungeon dropped weapons/talismans would be great, as there's virtually none out there. I can't even find word on if the drops vary by dungeon!

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

crawlkill posted:

seem to be a few snafulings in the system, but such is launch
The patcher going over has literally been a bug since the original release. Same for the multiple weapons on back bug.

Such is launch, indeed...

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

You'll be waiting for years-old content like Tokyo for quite a while (let alone new content), so if they don't get the monetization bullshit in check no one will be around to actually play the new content when it arrives.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

shirunei posted:

As someone who never played the original if I wanted to run through the story cheaply and without much bother would the thread recommend TSW or Legends?
Find the original for a few bucks somewhere if you can. The relaunch is plagued with microtransactions that'll have you running out of inventory space and other nonsense.

Edit:
Oh boy, the exchange is down AGAIN...

Amante fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 28, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

SWL is such an awkward mix of interesting ideas and terrible implementation. There are parts of the new gear system I'm actually okay with, but the pips and difficulty of finding the item you want to START upgrading makes it infinitely dumber than it needs to be.

What it really comes down to is Aurum: you need it to upgrade items past purple, you need it to upgrade item pips... if these costs were in Marks and not Aurum, it'd smooth out a lot of problems. Unfortunately, short-term profit above all seems to be their goal.

Richard M Nixon posted:

You're right - inventory is one of the bigger issues that's going to come up with f2p players. I haven't bought any space so I don't know what the cost is beyond the initial 7500 MoF. If it stays a flat rate then I could maybe see that as being reasonable, but if it scales to tens of thousands or even aurum, it's definitely way too much.
Going from 25 to 30 and then 30 to 35 slots costs Marks. All future inventory upgrades cost Aurum, as do all bank space upgrades from the start. For F2P players, this is a huge problem.

HotBobaloo posted:

So, what affixes are best for a dps weapon, Destruction? Also, I know from this thread if I am going blade, I should focus on that exclusively. Should I stick with my elemental as a secondary for pulling mobs? Or swap to something like pistol? Or is that something that has a really good passive?
Energy seems to be the all around best, but from what I can tell Destruction isn't bad. The movespeed one is good to have on a dedicated secondary weapon.

Amante fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 29, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

just merge everything
I started doing this and it's good advice. That said, you'll still run out of space fast if you're keeping three items for each slot (DPS, heal, tank versions). I have 35 slots and they're filling up fast...

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Len posted:

Working as intended or bug? The world will never know.
It's Funtended (TM)

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Nitpicks and all, but some of that lore poo poo is really irritating for sure. Some of the new story quests in Solomon Island have newly created documents which literally have Phoenician letterhead that says their name. Nice "secret" society, jerkoffs!

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

crawlkill posted:

were there new story quests? I didn't notice anything new. I hadn't played Dawning of an Endless Night since original release, though.
There's a few new story quests to bridge gaps or improve flow, like the aforementioned Phoenician one in Savage Coast.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The new business model was designed by Kirsten Geary.
We're Funcom... and we're not done falling on our faces.

Amante fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 29, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I'm of the opinion that the core gameplay and mechanics of TSW were actually tremendous fun, assuming you were a fan of the genre and not someone new to it.

The bigger problems:
1> The game did a tremendously poor job of actually explaining its mechanics, so only patient and motivated players learned them over time.
2> They went on to add grindy mechanics like augments (meh) and AEGIS (UGH) that were... not so well designed.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Let's be honest... if the two CS students that make up their coding team were competent, Funcom would've already monetized respeccing. Hooray for Funcompetence?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

F2P in a nutshell:

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

crawlkill posted:

as far as I've seen items only ever drop at level 1 for their rarity. when you're feeding one item to another, if the two types match (same slot+stat for talisman, same weapon type for weapons), the feed is worth 250 xp instead of 100--that doesn't seem to vary with rarity or level, so if you decided to feed a level 25 blue shotgun to a level 22 blue shotgun, it would still only be worth 250. I think.
This is correct. Exp amounts when empowering are the same regardless of the sacrificed item's level or pips.

Sekenr posted:

1. Did anybody get revenant weapons? Are you suppoed to receive the code in the email?
No one has them. Might get them on the 1st.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Tsed posted:

Just to be sure: fusing a maxed 3 pip green (target) with a maxed 1 or 2 pip green = new 3 pip blue, right?
Yeah, that's how it works. When fusing talismans, you can even use a maxed talisman of a different type (AR/HR/HP) worn in the same slot.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

Faction Missions will return as post-50 content.
The only change that matters. Long live the Pyramidion!

...in all seriousness, the upcoming changes sound great and solve most of the current problems with the game (other than the very existence of Aurum, which isn't going anywhere unfortunately). Perhaps Funcom can manage this shitshow decently after all?

Amante fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 1, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

You can solo most story dungeons since they're so forgiving. Polaris in particular you can solo fairly easily not long after overleveling it (by queuing for a "private" group).

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Kessel posted:

I'm a fan of ranged weapons and so am leaning either shotgun/hammer or pistol/shotgun. Could someone briefly describe the highs and lows of each?
Pistol is great single target damage once you invest in the right passives and build. Shotgun is useful immediately and is great overall, with high AOE damage and good sustain. I wanted to go AR initially, but I started Pistol/Shotgun and have been very pleased.

Edit: Hammer is great too. Start Shotgun/Hammer if you want to prepare for eventual tanking, or Pistol/Shotgun if you want more damage options.

Amante fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 3, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Odds and Evens with Raging Shot+ is the fastest mob killing rotation I've seen so far. RS, Basic, RS, Basic will take out a lot of mobs. Shell use matters too... I would rank it Incendiary > Uranium+ > Armor Piercing > Uranium > Healing, although the latter can still save your rear end in certain situations.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

It was The Big Terrible Picture that was poo poo in beta because it was super buggy and would only work during the day.
About that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

They are woefully underprepared for even modest player numbers. Seeing things crash and burn at Steam release is going to be "fun".