Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I've been playing the beta for a couple of weeks now and I've really enjoyed it as much as I did when I played in the original beta all those years ago.

The changes to the game aren't really mind blowing but they aren't the worst. I can't imagine people sticking around after they finish the main story quest just for more game play though (combat is still bad) but the things that made the Secret World good, the story, the atmosphere, the NPCs haven't changed.

The new hub in Agartha feels a bit weird since I thought the lore talks about how non bees/special people can't enter because they get stun to death by literal bees but I guess it's better than just people standing around on a slope.

Aside from the combat, the main problems I have is that this game isn't too newbie friendly. I wish you could dick around with the weapons before settling on a class or have the game force you to talk through an NPC's conversation tree since I don't think many new players are going to know they can click on a topic more then once for more info from the NPC but everything seems to be set in stone and the game just floods you with info that you're easily going to forget or click over. There's a thread about this on the beta forums but I can't say I've seen anything that suggests the Devs aren't just going to rush ahead and launch the game anyway.

On that note I think they hosed up setting a June release. There is still a number of bugs and a general lack of polish that will throw people off whereas people are more accepting of this in an open beta even if these issues never do get fixed.

Overall I think it's worth coming back in on a casual basis. The story and the characters are still head and shoulders above most games and its not a bad way to kill a couple of hours.

Lawlicaust posted:

There's now a 3 person story-mode for dungeons that doesn't really require a trinity. It's basically face roll to see the story.

This has been my favourite part so far. You can basically bring any combination in and as long as your not actively trying to kill yourself, you can get to the end without a problem although the loot sucks.

I haven't done the harder dungeons but I think the lack of a target lock is going to make some of the Nightmares next to impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
In again as Caecilius

edit: wow that was quick

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Meallan posted:

Investigations missions are really uneven sometimes. I fully believe that the reason funcom didn't touch them is because some people would get REAL angry and accusations of dumbing down would be everywhere, even if I guarantee that 90% + of TSW players had to Google the answers.

There's some really good ones. In still early on my replay but the kingsmouth ones with the priest are the kind that's well done. They require knowledge of the map and some thinking outside of the box. Those are also the kind where you are supposed to Google, just not the outright answer. Doing those with a group of friends are some of my fondest memories with the game because we would cover each other's weaknesses.

But then there's the Ellis one where you're supposed to download the Morse code to be able to slow it down so you can translate it and it's just. Who is even going to do that?

I think the best part was when the investigation missions were broken and you had to figure out if you made a mistake or if it was just 'Funcom'.

That one with the loving lights on the ground in Egypt where you'd stumble over other players making an attempt was the worst by far.