Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Well they did add the third tier raid boss didn't they? I never did those because gently caress that poo poo.

Grind mobs for pieces. Use pieces to fight bosses who drop new pieces. Fight those bosses to get pieces for the next step up to get loot that probably wasn't worth the time.

I remember being a very under geared player with trash equipment being carried in many lair boss kills by kind goons.

There was gently caress all useful loot that dropped. Rather a turn off so yes, they definitely needed to do something with lair content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ah. They probably have some replacement content but it's still conceptual and won't be ready for launch because Funcom is super tight on resources & development time.

Just a guess.

I'd be happy with a bunch more Dreamfall/Longest Journey references.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 30, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Breidr posted:

Game "sounds" amazing. Never played the first one, but if this one is F2P I may as well. Not a lot of MMOs in a modern setting.

It has a better plot and voice acting than single player adventure games too, which is pretty special for an MMO.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the new faces are good enough that I can make a TSW version of Zoe or Kian from Dreamfall Chapters.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lawlicaust posted:

They've been steadily adding more each phase do the are a decent number of faces now. Females have some good ones. Males not as much especially with how bad beards currently look.

There are. Though most of them still have some sort of story. Kingsmouth is probably the place with the most traditional quests like get some supplies, find survivors, and kill a bunch of zombies.

Well guess I'm making a Zoe then. Probably wouldn't get Kian's face tattoos right anyway.

Kingsmouth and the rest of the island were my favorite zones in the original game with perhaps the exception of the Orochi Tower itself. Loved that place.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just patiently waiting for the re-launch now.

Will buy a sub so I can get that 3rd age power armor costume to wear in the story missions.

(assuming that's still in the sub rewards anyway)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo. I just realized I don't even remember where I got my mining helmet in TSW.

The mines on Soloman Island or some place in the Egypt city maybe?

Well I suppose that apart from a couple missions it's not going to be a big deal. Definitely a big deal in those Roman ruins beneath London though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Cool, I will still have my retro 80s clothing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Richard M Nixon posted:

Hmm, I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I'm pleased...

https://twitter.com/SecretWorldLgds/status/872868401122881538

(how the gently caress do you embed tweets...)

3 day early head start for anyone who signed up for the beta, even if you didn't get in. One response says it also includes tsw players but it's unclear if that's automatic or not.

Well I've received nothing from Funcom in my inbox despite being a longtime (non-lifetime) TSW player who signed up for the beta and didn't get in anyway, so who the gently caress knows.

Not that fussed, I'll get in whenever.

^ Also yes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone who has played TSW in the last 30 days gets into the beta today, so I assume that also adds them to the headstart pool.

That would explain it. I deleted my install of TSW when Legends was announced because I didn't see a reason to keep it. Oh well!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How about Funcompetent?

Everyone will know what you actually mean but you'll never get pinged for it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The crazy is thick enough you could spread it on toast :allears:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Classes :eyepop:

RIP old TSW (even though it's still around). This should be way easier to introduce friends to, sounds like

For all the good things about old TSW we must all agree it had the accessibility of a greased cliff to the casual newcomer.

I see these changes as a Good Thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Christ most f2p games at least have an account wide bank so you can shift things to alts. I think I might nope out and not even bother. I got my GM fun out of the game in the past

They got around this problem by only giving you one character slot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely sounds like the relaunch is happening too soon. Even if things work on a technical level you can't have a good game without tuning the game play & progression.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

novaSphere posted:

That's what the initial launch is a month before it comes out on Steam :q:

That makes a lot of sense now.

I just wish they would call launch what it is - open beta with no wipes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lawlicaust posted:

Some people on the beta forums did the math for time required to max weapons in SWL. 160 AP not counting capstones. 30k per AP. At a rate of 8 Carpathian Fangs missions that reward around 8k each, it will take 7 months per weapon to max each new weapons actives. Passives take a little longer.

Buying that 160 AP from the cash shop would be around 5500 Aurum which would cost 300 MoF each at the maximum exchange rate. So about 1.5m marks. Which is roughly 100 days. So it currency takes less time to grind out cash shop currently to buy AP than to get it from quests.

You know what? I'm thinking I might give it a couple weeks after launch before I jump in.

Just to see if they tune things a bit.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lawlicaust posted:

The only pro I currently see to jumping in a launch is to be able to manipulate the Marks -> Aurum Exchange to make a bunch of Aurum/Marks before it gets too expensive and while people are dumb. That depends on a lot of things though including people actually shelling out money for this garbage which is a big if right now.

I was ready to jump in at launch but if the core game play loop is that hosed, forget it.

It's not like I'm playing actively now. I'm happy to wait and see.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aye Doc posted:

joke's on you sucker, by the time you start playing I'll already be 10% of the way to mastering my first weapon!!

Maybe i'll wait an extra month so you can get to 15% to make it interesting for me when I try to catch up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

What reason is there to play SWL when TSW has more content and less grind?

Not sure yet but people have put forth compelling reasons not to play.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Amante posted:

Surprisingly, Funcom has gotten several rounds of funding from venture capitalists recently... not that it shows in SWL.

They're smart enough to only invest in things that make money.

Hopefully it's being spent on worthwhile things like more Conan and/or Dreamfall.

Sad about TSW being in this state - abandoned limbo or a half stillborn reboot. I guess that's just how things go though.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 16, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This has nothing to do with TSW I just think it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaeFgSR_DMU

However it could easily be TSW if that was the Orochi 950 kitchen appliance.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morglon posted:

I would agree but at no point did it tear the fabric of spacetime, unleash an ancient evil or devour countless people.

We can just pretend that roast bird was actually crafted from the "special meat source" in Orochi Tower.

It's a real shame that location is so endgame because there are a lot of great things going on inside it that I think a lot of players never saw.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ah but the 22nd of which month in which year? Checkmate :smuggo:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Still can't play because I didn't log on for too long, thus I have to wait for general release.

But I didn't log on because I was waiting for a new expansion and then the relaunch :argh:

^ That sucks. I reckon they did something Funcom-like and made it such that the reserved names won't kick in until the 26th or so.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

maybe not the same gender, that is a bummer

The unlocks should be account wide so a new character would fix that, if you cared enough.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Made the right call picking trickster to start with. Pretty sure I have no intention of changing weapons ever.

Wasn't convinced initially but the more I play the more I enjoy the combat changes & adjustments to the gameplay loop. Haven't gone hard at it though so I haven't seen the later grind yet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently 10 million or something in funny money was created out of thin air because people in chat were talking about exploits, bans and economy patches right before a hotfix.

Since there are no official forums who knows? :toot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You need to auth people to only admit goons otherwise a normal person might accidentally slip in and water down the toxic infighting.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Scoss posted:

Against... all better judgment and evidence presented in this thread, I am still morbidly curious to try this game.

I haven't been able to get the client downloader to work all day, is that because the servers are offline?

Yes they are offline so the client does not a lot.

^ Chose pistols but that's good to know.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also I could be wrong but I think I could only claim all my Old TSW cosmetics and stuff around the same time I met Boone at the Kingsmouth entrance.

Can't go back and check how I did it, just remember going "what do these buttons I can't access do?" for a while at first.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hell if I know. I don't even know how to rotate the cylinders in my magic pistols.

The game did explain them to me at some point but can I find that explanation again? Nope.

Press button, avoid AOE and hope for best is all I've been doing.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 26, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sjonkel posted:

If I want to be able to heal dungeons, which weapons should I choose? I started a trickster and liking it so far, but there doesn't seem to be any healing skills for pistols. Should I just buy/pick up a different weapon that would work better?

There is a healing skill in the middle active tree. It's more a team support heal though.

(unless I'm mixing up the trees from memory and its some passive, but there is definitely a heal in there somewhere)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just thinking.

So I didn't buy lifetime in TSW back in the day nor did I buy a sub in Legends. I did play a lot on the first couple days when I had time and basically did everything possible in Kingsmouth & most of Sword Coast. That got me level 20 gear in every slot, blue pistols and a blue belt. Everything was fine.

Problem is then I was faced with needing extra level 20 gear to blue the rest of my stuff so without pushing forward into higher level content with slog fights I needed to repeat missions for the rewards in order to upgrade compatible trash to level 20. Ok that's fine, I get it. Missions instead of using (apparently non existent) trash loot.

Except the mission cool downs are still things like 72 hours or so. I haven't bothered to log in the past couple days because I was waiting for everything to come off timers. Obviously if you have an active sub you can repeat whatever you like after 8 hours so you can basically consume content as much as you like.

I'm not sure I feel positive about the new player experience past the first couple days unless they are super casual and don't hit that "well now what?" point when the time gate kicks in.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If anything but "half baked" comes to mind when you're playing you're giving funcom far too much credit.

Speaking of, after the beta I can't bring myself to play this abortion. The years of disappointment have just culminated. To the other 2012'ers, how are you still sticking around?

What do you mean sticking around?

I enjoyed my first couple days of SWL a lot. Lots of fun. But now I have experienced the new game play loop I don't really have much motivation to push on because I played all the later zone missions so many times already.

Once some new content comes out in a year or three I'll care more.

(insert what new content lol post here)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morglon posted:

Honestly I've played the original and I've never had any of the problems I'm having now. Also I'm really loving tempted to just get my own cabal for the extra bank space because the size of your inventory is just insultingly small.

It's particularly obnoxious when you lose a dozen inventory slots to quest items.

Later on when you're trying to level up duplicates of every single item equipped I can see those 25 base inventory slots being comically inadequate.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Mandatory viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEKJ0_K9nY

I have 529 hours in Old TSW and I really want Legends to reinvigorate new player interest otherwise it's just going to be a game in stasis again.

But I have to agree with everything being said in that video.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Amante posted:

We're Funcom... and we're not done.

No they're done. They blew it.

Maybe they can un-gently caress it but... yeah.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ossipago posted:

Didn't they say a long time ago that the second season (or whatever the next several issues would have been) and most of the third had already been written? I wonder how badly they could flub implementing those story lines.

Imagine a fan made version of Blade Runner made by some amateurs who had never seen the original movie, just a copy of the script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lawlicaust posted:

Live stream right now: https://www.twitch.tv/funcom

Upcoming Patron Changes
  • +20% MoF gains
  • Double AP/SP gains
  • Teleports free now as well as anima leap

Downtime Compensation
  • 25 AP / 25 SP
  • 10K MoF
  • 4000 Anima shards
  • 1 Blue Talisman Fusion Booster

Elite Dungeons next week. Dungeons now scale from difficulty 1-10.

3 month release plan will be detailed next week.

Faction Missions will return as post-50 content.

Ok now patron is appealing and I'll buy it, once those changes are in. Good to see a positive move.