Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I did the dungeons up through darkness war because they were underleveled and I had transylvania gear. Never did get around to Ankh+, doing the gatekeeper (which prevented me from finishing some Agartha lore I wanted), or finishing tokyo once I hit part 2 and had to grind aegis. I love the game but not enough to repeat content to farm up AP/SP/Aegis or to figure out a better build than the lovely hammer/chaos build I moved into during savage coast years ago.

What I like about the game: the static sound and music when you load it up. The quest intro cutscenes, even with some of the weird faces and characters. The music. The lore. The quest hubs feeling like part of the world enough to not feel like standard mmo quest hubs (the lady's porch, the lighthouse, romani camp, the hotel, etc). The little tinkle and icon when you get an achievement or lore update (triggers my skinner box instinct or whatever you want to call it, much like the old everquest DING and quest trumpets). The halloween quest with the radios around the graveyards. The world of darkness meets lovecraft feel of the game. The city of the sun god (I was one of the few who liked that area, it reminded me of the original tomb raider games and was a nice change of pace from the first egypt zone with all the cultists.) Figuring out how to do Last Dance of the Padurii with my hammer/chaos build and the crappy skills I had access to.

Didn't like: the awkward engine with rubber banding and bugs, having to look up many investigation quest answers because I'm dumb and lazy and don't have a smartphone to interpret morse code or to know the limits of the game engine. The sabotage missions where messing up an awkward jump with barely visible red laser lines causes you to explode and start over. The time it takes to get around Agartha to the portal you need. The extremely long load times on my old computer. Shoehorning weird stuff into the game like the snowmobile race. Platforming puzzles with the bad engine. Trying to lose aggro after sprinting around a zone to get to where I want to go while dragging behind me a horde of undead, akaab, vampires, and ghouls. The combat system being basically twister as you try to stand where you can dole out your best damage while not being in any of the geometric shapes being drawn for the various monster attacks.

I'll be giving the remake a chance to see if they kept the fun of the game while getting rid of some of the bullshit but it sounds like maybe they just replaced it with different bullshit. I haven't checked youtube but are there any decent Let's Plays out there? Two years ago I tried to find videos of the dungeons I hadn't seen yet but it was mostly 5 people sprinting through demolishing everything and skipping the plot. At this point I think I'd rather watch a full let's play from someone who appreciates the story, even if they wear a gimpsuit and horse head while doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I was always hoping for a really thorough let's play. I made it through the original storyline up to Tokyo, but didn't do the dungeons beyond the first two. Then I came back and did part of Tokyo and got up to the part where you had to grind a bit to get access to the next part and fell off again. Then they reset everything with Legends and that was that. I liked it enough I intended to come back but never did.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Good luck, I haven't come back for Legends yet so I'll be checking out the LP. Please reconsider doing the dungeons, raids and lairs. A lot of people (me) for whatever reason (bad at the game) don't get around to doing them. An LP could be a good venue to show them off. Judging by other MMO LPs you might even get volunteers to carry or help talk about them if needed.

During the original release, I did the three New England dungeons which were a lot of fun. I think I left off at the Ankh which I keep hearing good things about. For the main story, I finished everything up to the part in Tokyo where you had to grind, after the first large chunk of story. Then I quit for a bit and they flushed everything to restart as Legends.

Hopefully Funcom gets the crashing worked out.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Len posted:

Of course it also has fata padurii and cost of magic

Cost of magic was the jump puzzle, right?

Is the mission with the old timey radio shows still in the game or was that a limited holiday quest? I remember liking that one though I think it was in several zones and just had a yellow mission bunker in the vampire area.