Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm still in the 'not sure' phase on the revamp. I'll likely still play around with SWL, but if I'm still able to play around TSW with my old characters while transferring some version of them over to SWL, I might just end up playing around with both casually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong since this is kinda new to me, but trying to log into the beta after the last wipe and it's not letting me back in and saying my login credentials are incorrect. Did things get wiped to where I have to make a new beta account or am I screwing up somewhere?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Ah, okay. It just threw me off that it did a patch update and everything as if it was still loginable.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

Sounds like he's saying that if steam manages the install, it's nuking the old version and installing some other client. If you're on steam, can you grab the client from the tsw account page?

Checking my Steam, it does show a recent TSW update going through, but double checking the game by logging in, it's still the old TSW so who knows what the update was.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm not a steam expert, but the appID entry for TSW was updated to SWL, so I'm thinking that maybe Steam will see it as a single game. I'm not sure what happens to existing content, but if you check the history here it looks like the game was just renamed and given new tags, but Steam will still see it as the original entry. :iiam:

There might be something to that since when I go to the Steam page it tells me I already have SWL in my library and when I look at my library, it's still TSW.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Len posted:

I hope SWL launches with a golem event.

Considering I hadn't a clue what the golem event was in TSW and only ran over when people were calling for more to help out, I ended up having quite a bit of fun with it. But then nothing in my world events in a game experience had me shooting away next to a naked guy wearing a horse mask and someone running around in a bikini with rabbit ears packing an AK.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I don't know if anything's been said yet or it'll be in the dev stream, but does anyone know how they're handling any transferring over of characters? In TSW, I have one of each faction, but if we're only allowed 1 character in SWL, I'm debating just making a fresh character just for SWL and keeping my others all on TSW. Would this even be possible under a single account or not?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

No transfers.

I would've thought there would be since they're offering a paid service to reserve character names.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

afkmacro posted:

I haven't played in years, I quit a few months into the original launch. Reading these posts about only 2 weapons makes me wonder what to build my char around. I forget what my build was before I quit and the browser based character viewer is dead. :|

I'm contemplating something with Hammer or Blade and something ranged. Not sure about doing something with a magic focus in SWL.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

In as Shorty. Not a clue on what the hell I'm doing, but that's normal.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

Remember to post your char names to join the cabal.

I'm back on in as Shorty.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Have any Kingmouth quests turned up bugged so far? I can't really go by anything said in genchat because, well, it's genchat.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've been ignoring chat mostly but my personal experience has been bug-free as far as quests go.

From what I've seen in chat so far, apparently it doesn't matter how much one played TSW, changing over to SWL makes you completely forget how to do questlines that haven't changed.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm playing for the story too - I'm here because I'm going to want more story and SWL is the only place to get it. There isn't new content yet, but it's being planned/written so we may as well get comfortable in the new game.

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. I'll still keep playing my TSW characters, but I'll be considering my SWL character the 'trailblazer' so I have a better idea of how to do things in TSW.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sjonkel posted:

Since you can only have a single character to start with: How does the initial class you choose matter? As far as I've understood, you get to choose any weapons you want later on? And ditto with faction, is it just for story elements now?

I'm not sure if it's a glitch I'm having or not since I haven't bought anything in SWL, but when I logged in a bit ago, my character select screen said I had two more slots to use.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Pryce posted:

They apparently gave 2 slots to all existing/former players:
https://secretworldlegends.com/news/producers-blog-head-start/

The only reason I've got the three characters in TSW was for the separate faction stuff. Since from what I've seen, stuff like the faction quests are gone so why bother with multiple characters especially if you've found a weapon set that you like and works well for you.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Soup du Journey posted:

looks like that santas got a shirt made of skin :kiddo:

Well, that really wouldn't be surprising to see in this game.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

in their discord channel (lol), they basically said "no more major extensions..... we hope" so very encouraging things, huh

From what I've read around on what people are saying about the aurum fiasco, it sounds like they're going to have to do a rollback but it's boiling down to how far of a rollback.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

At least 24 hours from now. poo poo was starting to get a little weird yesterday evening.

I've heard some talking about needing to roll it back to day one of headstart.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Patcher's bugged for me. Stuck on 'patch local files,' currently patching 235kb/160kb, at some small handful of bytes per second.

Oh, now 271kb/160kb. I don't think it's supposed to work that way.

My download time's jumping everywhere from over an hour to around a half hour, but it's still showing a steady download pace in MB so there's that at least.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Differo Cathedra posted:

Has anybody gotten the email with their code yet? Just wondering how long it takes before it shows up.

Haven't received mine yet. I figure considering everything else going on, I might not see it show up today.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sekenr posted:

You can claim your TSW stuff as soon as you get to Agartha

Mine didn't pop for me until I reached Kingsmouth, but for all I know it could've been from the lag going on during day one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Most importantly even with the worst launch imaginable it's apparently taken off. People on Reddit are saying they've already put $500+ into the game every day since launch, and can't get enough of SWL. It's captured the elusive whale market. Aka we will finally see what comes after Tokyo, and potentially even Season 2 all off the backs of the whales. And we won't have to pay for it!

I'll settle for knowing if taking the gift or refusing the gift means something at the end of the Kingsmouth stuff.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Does anyone know offhand if they tweaked some of the quests? When I did the Rolling Downhill quest in TSW, I caught up with the wendigo quick, blasted it dead, got the package. Doing the same quest in SWL, it had me chasing that drat thing around most of the coast before finally being able to kill it. More annoying as gently caress than anything.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I'm currently trying to knock out the Jack's Back quest and I've gone to the first pumpkin field with the shed and killed off all the ghostlights and the quest doesn't advance. I'm assuming that's the bug out point for the quest usually being bugged, right?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

There's a ghostlight that isn't visible, I think it's below the map. Run around in a circle and it'll eventually aggro on you.

I'll give it a go. Wouldn't be the first time in this game I've had to run around in circles. *grumblesstupidwhiteravensgrumbles*

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I don't remember it happening in TSW, but I've been having mobs drop lore bits. Is there any pattern to this that anyone knows of?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Amante posted:

No one has them. Might get them on the 1st.

Tomorrow's been the speculation I was hearing in genchat earlier. I can't remember if these were supposed to be beginner weapons, but it'd be annoying to've levelled past them before having a chance to use them first.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I'm definitely looking forward to the increased AP/SP, Marks and Faction missions, the rest...I don't know.

For me in TSW, the only reasons I had a character in each faction was for the Faction missions and different handler commentary. I also really liked that you could keep filling up the abilities wheel and eventually unlock all the deck costumes. For those reasons I am still puttering around TSW. For the most part I don't mind the leveling thing with SWL, but I keep going back to I miss not being able to skill out everything for the costumes. I am enjoying the hell out of my gunslinger. She's definitely one of my most sturdy characters with only dying when I had to for the white ravens thing and once to the boogeyman when I got stuck on some door geometry at the wrong time. If they had it so you could still earn the other deck costumes somehow, that would be the dealmaker for me and I'd stop with TSW.

I know it's lame, but I freely admit to being an addict in playing pretty princess dress up with my characters.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Not entirely sure what Tabula Rasa is but you can buy "rooms" and there was just one player in a fursuit wandering about :cry:

You do have to go there for the Hell and Bach quest for clues.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I know it was said earlier in the thread that most of the dungeons are pretty soloable. Which ones aren't soloable when overleveled?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Morglon posted:

You can't outlevel the last thee but I suspect you can solo them too when all your gear is mythic. So far increase in power has been insane from green to purple.

Considering I solo'd Polaris and ended up getting a case and a half of distillates for my trouble, mythic gear's going to be years in the coming.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

On a not entirely unrelated note, my gf is going to think I'm having a schizophrenic episode when she sees the notes all over my desk.

LOL. I had my fiance confuse my Secret World notebook with my class notes for the Viking Mythology and Medieval Science-Faith-Magic classes I was taking when he was helping me get ready when I was running late. In his defense, all he saw was a page of Latin and Futhark looking symbols and assumed it was my lecture notes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

That's about par what I made as a call center phone monkey.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Gawain The Blind posted:

It's you. You're the lowest common denominator developers are talking about when they simplify for "accessibility." You are the reason everything ends up like yet another warcraft clone. You honestly couldn't understand the skill system? really? You're not just being hyperbolic? Are you just trolling? It was literally "mash a key until you build up a resource and then hit the ability that uses the resource." With the added complexity of "some weapons can use the status effects other weapons generate for additional bonuses."

I'm not a big fan of number crunchy theory-craft and optimal builds and poo poo, I tend towards "abilities that do cool things" rather than worry too much about whether or not my build is achieving maximum dps- but even I managed to figure out the loving skill wheel.

I'm also one of those who gets put off completely when the hard sperg numbercrunching comes out. I will admit that the skill wheel along with knowing there's no traditional leveling is overwhelming at first. But there were deck build guidelines right there and while some of those might not be great, they were still at least something to work off of to get an idea of how the wheel worked. If my usually clueless rear end could figure it out pretty quick, anyone can figure it out.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

That being said, i'm actually enjoying the story so dont mind. Event he dungeons are ok, though the limit of 10 keys per day sucks balls.

Are the dungeon loots worth it? I have a tailsman from both the 1st and 2nd, (and a weapon from the 1st i cant use) should i bother to lvl them up?

Been rocking pistols and shotgun, and pulling aggro from tanks in dungeons. I seriously think im still using only the starter skills too.

I'm mostly waiting for the Wednesday patch since while I certainly will use the approximate case worth of distillates I got, I really was hoping to get a talisman for one of my empty slots even with being overleveled for the dungeon.

I'm also rocking the pistols/shotty combination and it's been so potent a combo I feel as if my gunslinger should have a backup band following her playing some badass hero music for how well she cuts through mobs barring the named ones that need a group. Even if SWL was doing the awarding AP/SP like TSW to eventually fill all the abilities, I'd still be using pistols/shotty maxed out when spending points elsewhere to just unlock costumes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

This game is really fun. The tone and flavour reminds me of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. I'm around halfway through Blue Mountain, and this might be the first MMO I play without listening to other music or putting on a podcast, because the aesthetics and especially the sound design are so atmospheric. In particular, I love exploring spooky buildings, and so my favourite part so far was running around the actual town of Kingsmouth. I hope there are more dense "urban" areas like that later on, because I find the attention to detail really rewarding. The investigation missions are memorable, even if I have to look up the solutions more often than not (I'm not well-versed in Bible history).

So yeah, really digging this game. The combat's alright.

I genuinely love the setting which isn't a surprise for how much I love horror films. It's too bad it didn't really take off in TSW. I do wish I had been able to go lifetime sub when they had the last offer of it, but I didn't quite have the funds at the time. If they ever offer it again, hopefully I'll be able to go for it this time.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I asked in game and no answer, but did they change where the family photo is in the Ghosts and the Darkness quest? I've looked in each of the early on red circles and it's not there.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I've bumped into the space limit now, where I don't have enough anima to upgrade items, hence I don't have the space in my bags to collect rewards, so I can't get more anima from quests. Got to trek back to Agartha every time it gets filled up.

Let this be a cautionary tale: don't spend cash at the museum of the occult, because the cost for upgrading items skyrockets with each tier.

Going from what dabbling I've done with the Museum, it feels more like an endgame thing with TSW requiring the X amount of AP which fits after you've filled out the wheel and have it to spend, and with SWL where you're sitting on a small fortune in shards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

Some days you want to wallow in beautiful, ordered chaos. Others you want to hear Kirsten Geary say something sociopathic.

Pretty much this. My only reason for having one of each faction in TSW was for the different quest texts, faction missions and recruitment mails you get occasionally from the other factions. The mail from Sonnac to my Illuminati about visiting London to soak in tradition made me smile.