Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Nf3 posted:

Has anyone whose played FFXIV like to weigh in if I should move from FFXIV to this if Im into cooperative gameplay? I've gotten to lvl 30ish in FFXIV with a friend but Im wondering if we should go to SWL instead.

I've played both games for the story with a partner and both are amazing. SWL has less terrible voice acting (gently caress you, Yda) and some very unique quests. FF14 takes longer and has a more compelling endgame, but if you want to enjoy the journey, both are awesome. I couldn't argue for one over the other unless one of you has a huge interest in either modern horror or animu. SWL is free, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

prefect posted:

Were people complaining that dungeons were giving them too many distillates? What kind of crazy people are they?

People are stupid shits who in the first few days said "bloo bloo I don't have full three dot dungeon gear, make gear drop more often" so the monkey's paw closed and now we're swimming in unstackable garbage that no-life players have devalued to 200 mof.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Amante posted:

Interesting theory on how "no-life players" devalued these lovely items, not AH caps being removed and soloable story dungeons dropping them in bulk. Show me on the doll where the bad hardcores touched you.

One enables the other.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Personal pride, perhaps?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Kill the group raid boss to open the box.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

prefect posted:

There's an event today? How long is it going to last? Please say it's not just a one-day thing.

Until the 15th I think.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Is there a breakdown of the droprates from caches? I just had some drop (either they're coded to start dropping when you go into the sewers in Kingsmouth or I had really bad luck for 12 levels before getting three in 5 minutes) and I'm curious if they're in any way a good gamble for AH-able stuff vs the aurum for a key. I'm guessing not but I enjoy doing maths anyway.

Supposedly drop rate goes up as you open more caches. I've saved keys for a few days and in an hour of playing tonight I got 3. You really don't need to worry about them unless you're whaling for keys or just logging in to grab your daily key for a few months.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Caches were bugged until recently. There was supposed to be bad luck protection whenever you didn't get cosmetics and (presumably) weapons. It's fixed now. I actually look forward to the distillates since they're free to apply and actually make a dent in purple items.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Yeah I'm pissed that I'm never getting the bee scooter.

The 3rd age wings are hosed up. You can't jump in any direction except forward, turning with the mouse while standing still is painful, and they disappear when touching water or jumping.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

With the amount of people I see standing at the flappy entrance, I'd be okay with not giving people the buff if they don't contribute like 50% of the average damage or something. Whatever is appropriate for the scaling buff that will exclude people getting in a token hit.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

It's bad enough that people are whaling their way to yellow items - if it was five bucks to upgrade poo poo it might be even worse. Although I guess you'd assume people whaling would just spend the money upfront on three dot items so perhaps making the upgrade item attainable to lower players may be nice.

Regarding paying for purples, remember that while you can buy catalysts that count as one leveled purple, you still have to get one item up to 30 purple so there's a lot of lockbox opening going on.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

They're saying there is some kind of mini-event on Tuesday to signify Flappy leaving Agartha and the portal to Tokyo opening.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Hmm yeah the Discord link should never expire. xS7vJXW is still showing as active. Sorry if typing !authme sends you into a fit of rage, but we have to add the bot to be on the goon discord network.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I tried the cost of magic for the first time.i assumed that everyone complained about I because it was hard to beat, but now I get it. There was a lot of rage to be had. Still, I wish high level sabotage missions still had some kind of mechanic that made it so you couldn't just turn it into an action missions if you didn't want the achievement.

Regarding chat tools, I was in the grumpy old man camp of just keeping vent or mumble, but the discord market share is growing so much that it's unavoidable.i thought it was a gimmick at first but it's actually kind of nice to have a persistent text chat for when you don't want to hear sperg voices or you're away from the computer, and it removes the need to buy or host a server.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Hey Drinkfist, if you're still lurking, I may have figured out why that discord link wasn't working for you.

When you posted

Drinkfist posted:

That isn't me.
I banned the fake Drinkfist, assuming it was someone coming to besmirch your good name, stir up drama, or a j4g wanting in to our elite raiding guild. Banned discord users just get a "link broken" message because the devs are non-confrontational AF.

If that really was you, LMK and I'll unban that account.

Don't know why it wasn't working for Len though, unless Discord is reading his posts and wants to protect everyone else from having to...

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

Having to actually pick up the pouch within those 30 seconds is some serious BS.

What is this? Cost of Magic?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

Yes. Cost of Magic, part 4.

Yes. It was a really tense 30 seconds. Still, as far as Unseen missions go, this is really forgiving for retrying so I can't complain too much.

Man, that was the only part I didn't rage completely at, thanks to GW2's bullshit jumping puzzle in the crab cove area. The first parts can get hosed.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

crawlkill posted:

idk if it's been said but we've discovered if you list basically any garbage item on the AH for 150-200 it will sell almost instantly. people presumably buying up matches to level their gear.

if you can stand to drag your junk over one by one (put that 200 in your clipboard) this is potentially a wayyy better source of Marks than dailies

only downside is that the game's real levelup economy is the anima shards so you're giving up vendoring those lovely greens, which does start hurting once everything is purple or higher. but still, if you want some fancy wepon or whatever, there's your Mark income. weapon appearance customization's going into the wardrobe today, gonna need to buy up all them anima-touched weaps for sweet transmogs

This is how poo poo got so devalued - a race to the bottom now that we can sell unlimited poo poo. RIP SWL economy, 2017-2017.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

You can't argue for affixes while saying pip level doesn't matter. When it comes to weapons, I'll agree that pips are less important because they just enhance your affix but talismans are direct stat boosts and non red versions are so cheap.

Why tell new players to go in for Sprint v or whatever? If you're playing the game, play it and don't just dodge every mob between a and b. I'm up to shadowy forest and I've only bought the first Sprint upgrade because taking time to enjoy the game is fun. I'm sure it's different on playthrough 12 where you just want to get to endgame.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I still say if they're getting 10k marks a day, they can easily buy a full non dungeon set of gear. It's virtually free.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

They've added a timer that stops a retreat vote from being started in Dungeons until 5 minutes have passed.

They have not fixed the bug where sometimes it creates a dungeon group of 5 DPS.

Does everyone have the dps icon?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Burnt Poffin posted:

Hooray, we can finally transfer Funcom Points from TSW to SWL: https://secretworldlegends.com/news/funcom-point-to-aurum-exchange-now-available/

Oh, but only a max of 12,000 FP... and only if you bought it from July 1st 2016 to June 26th 2017...

Who has more than 12k paid points?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

With a sub, you could probably grind out enough points for a decent build in a week of 1-2hr mission running. I'm playing through the whole game as a sub (lv 30 before the double ap thing) and right now I'm halfway through shadowy forest with 4 ap trees maxed, 2 max sp trees, and 3 decently full trees. If you scatter points everywhere it'll take a bit longer but I wouldn't say it's bad.

The hardest grind is gear. Don't expect to be running far endgame (elite 3+) with multiple specs for a while, because it's expecting mid level purples and a yellow or two. Higher than that and you're looking at pumping your items up with everything you get. If you do want to swap weapons a lot, swap within a spec. This means pretty much only DPS will see a lot of variability.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 20, 2017

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I think the argument was that it's super difficult to manage, which it's definitely not. I do the priority system too and it's easy. Sometimes you hit the wrong one or you get all anima shells, but just trying to swap between fire send dmg is doable and does give a dps bump, though I don't know how much.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

You'll also be back soon when you're 50 and doing elites.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Wtf? We were at like a 50:1 tank:heal ratio.

My tank is up to 240 ip so I guess I can do poo poo other than elite 2. Haven't tried lairs yet but I want to.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Len posted:

Everyone quit.

Rip dead gay game, 2017-2017.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

For the two of you still running elites or if we ever turn into a non-poo poo cabal that does endgame content, someone had the good idea of using roles in Discord.

I've created Healer, Tank, and DPS groups for everyone to join. In GBS, type !rank <Healer/Tank/DPS> and you'll be assigned to the role that you want.

You can join multiple roles, but the member list on the right will only show you in the highest ranked role (Healer > Tank > DPS).

You can @mention any of the roles to ping goons to do poo poo. I suggest using @role instead of using the member list, due to the aforementioned inability of discord to display multiple roles.

E: Coming up next, a goonfleet-style site where you must enable two factor authentication to join any groups and confirm your identity with a credit card statement showing :10bux: paid to Lowtax.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 26, 2017

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm almost through with the shadowy forest and I can imagine things getting a bit tedious as a solo player with meh gear. Gf and I are both 3 pip dungeon geared with full epics and one yellow weapon each and still some mobs take 10-15 seconds each.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

There was a dev stream today. A few highlights:

• New cache next week
  • New cache will give "outfit fragments" as consolation prize (but not every time)
  • No more bad luck protection on outfits - now BLP is on wepaons!
  • No plans to bring back old lockboxes - Yawk will be rich after all
  • FutureTech & Cyberpunk is the theme of the Cache and inspired the rewards
  • Lurker raid next week
  • Raid has a story mode + elites (trash in story, no trash in elites)
  • Raid loot == cosmetics, distillates, new gear (do we use keys?)
  • Lair mega boss next week
  • Megaboss summon piece comes from regional bosses (lairs boss -> regional boss -> megaboss)
  • When summoning megaboss, everyone in the summoner's cabal gets an insta-invite anywhere in the world
  • Anyone on the boss platform gets 2nd dibs on invite
  • Group that summoned gets a bonus lair chest - boss drops a lair chest too (needs a key)
  • Cash shop for emotes

E: NYR does not use any keys and is currently strictly gated by lockout timers.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 2, 2017

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

You've got a lot going on. Your char level won't change, as it's just a cosmetic copy. Once you reach the portal to kingsmouth in agartha you'll be prompted to claim your tsw vanity items. If your tsw account was a steam version, you should be playing via steam now. I wouldn't unlink it unless you really want to pay via the funcom site. It's a one time irrevocable decision to unlink. So they say.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

You'll have to play through a lot of story to get to all the investigation missions but the story is really good so it's not a slog at all. Just doing the missions requires zero grinding.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Templars are the one true light.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I've been tanking them too and I'd be happy to come, along w/ my dps partner if we get two full groups going.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Non-interruptable casts are now purple and glow so it's a ton easier if you don't remember all the names or need a visual cue.

Trip report from tanking: pubbies are poo poo. Tanks have to keep their oh poo poo buttons, purges, and interrupts available all the time while worrying about threat on adds and moving out of poo poo. Nobody wants to help interrupt poo poo. I like the challenge but as soon as you miss a purge or something, the dps go apeshit.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Loving the change where taunt abilities actually give permanent threat gain. About time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Well the release window for deep agartha is several months wide so it's a big target.