Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

The Lone Badger posted:

So did they shut down TSW to make what looks like an inferior/less-finished copy? Or is original-recipe still available?

Eh, over the course of the beta it has gotten much better. I'd say SWL is easier to get into and new players probably will enjoy it much more than TSW. It's still half-baked as far as a full overhaul goes though.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

prefect posted:

:toot: I made it into the beta! :woop:

Here's hoping it doesn't actually take three hours for all this stuff to download.

The minimal download is pretty quick.

macnbc posted:

Here's the question I have: As someone who played TSW just for the story, lore, etc. and never really gave a poo poo about the gameplay and combat mechanics how hard is it going to be for me to get back through it all and in position for the mythical season 2?

Probably won't be too bad. Leveling is quick and you can get good gear completely through solo play. I'm skeptical we'll see a season 2 this year.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

prefect posted:

I have to go out and run errands in a little bit, so keeping myself from playing right away is a plus. :)

Also, now I get to spend some quality time freaking out over which weapons I'm going to use. I was mostly AR/Elemental before, but I'm wondering about other ideas I had, like "could I go Elemental/Blood and just be a magician?" (Yes, I know you can technically use any two weapons, but some of them just don't work well for how you might be playing, et cetera, et cetera.)

Is there an equivalent of the "decks" they used to have, where you had some examples of what to do (and also I think you got an outfit for getting all the appropriate skills)?

That's basically classes now. I haven't played much of the casters so I can't give any recommendations there but I can give some Blade or Shotgun/Hammer ones.

Spirit Blade build

This is a 1 weapon build that focuses on Spirit Blade. You only use the second weapon for an AoE power ability. The idea is to maximize Spirit Blade damage and uptime. Rotate using Swallow Cut and Flowing Strike and using other cooldowns when relevant. When out of energy, spam Flowing Strike while you regen to build chi. While Spirit Blade is active, Flowing Strike does more damage than any secondary weapon ability would so there's no point in using a second weapon for single target.

Active:
Flowing Strike (Can swap with Crescent Fang)
Swallow Cut
Spirit Blade
Soothing Spirit
Supreme Harmony (Can swap for Hurricane or Tempest)
(Something from another weapon for AoE damage)

Passive:
Masterpiece
Hardened Blade
Draw Sword, Draw Blood
Pick Two from the following: (Focused Breathing, Measure Twice, Cut Once, Warrior's Spirit, Resonance, Meditate, Master's Focus)

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I hit 50 this phase about 5 quests into Transylvania and looked forward to testing some of the endgame they surely added since phase 3.

Nope. Elites still aren't available and it's 11 days until launch. Considering lairs require very high purple there's even less content avail than at TSW's original launch.

Also, I played the market pretty heavily this phase and managed to make about 30-40k cash shop currency which I spent openijg 100+ loot bags and buying AP/SP. Despite all that, I only have 4 weapons unlocked, 3 purples and 1 yellow, and only the skills and passives for the dps spec of 2 weapons. It's a super mega grind now.

This is going to go well.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 12, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

A. Beaverhausen posted:

My hope died with phase 2. Just enjoy the trainwreck.

Yeah, it really has surpassed my wildest dreams of just how terrible it is. Here's the awful poo poo from the latest phase:
  • Inventory and bank slots cost marks of fate or aurum. 7500 MoF for 5 slots, 15000 for the next 5, and the 360 aurum for 5. Only goes up from there.
  • Trading and using the cabal bank now requires Patron. Patrons can only trade with other patrons.
  • Scenarios are just as janky garbage as they were before and the rewards aren't really better than dungeons. Also time-limited by the scenario keys just like dungeons. I've done quite a few scenarios and dungeons and have yet to see anything except lovely upgrade materials drop.
  • Speaking of upgrading, once you get items to epic you aren't really going to be upgrading without the cash shop distillates from the lootbags. It costs so many anima shards for a single item (600) and gives you like 2% of a bar. Feeding blue or epic gear barely gives much more exp (4% or 6%).
  • Lair mobs have 250k hp and deal 7k+ damage with every attack. A tank in mostly epics would barely have enough hp to survive a single hit. It's going to take weeks or months of upgrading purples to even begin to do lairs.
  • Elites aren't in yet so who the gently caress knows if they make any of this better. Probably not. They will just have Distillates that give more but still poo poo xp. Here, have 1K xp out of 50k needed to upgrade an item 1 level.
  • No Nightmares or Tokyo until after launch. So people are going to run out of things to do except grind the gently caress out of what little content there is for maybe a few weapon levels.
  • Weapon swaps aren't going to happen. The amount of AP/SP you need to be viable is huge. And then you are so far behind on weapon expertise and on leveling up weapons that it's just not possible. If you want something other than the starting combos, spend your first 5 days of MoFs on it and swap immediately without leveling the weapons or investing at all.
  • Carpathian Fangs is painfully slow even in my stupidly OP gear. People will probably quit here if they haven't already.
Barring some unlikely changes in the next week, I may actually save myself the pain and not play it.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Tallgeese posted:

...what.

No, there must be a mistake. There is no way they could possibly be stupid enough to limit the economy to Patrons.

You can still use the exchange and AH but no cabal bank or direct trading. You have to go to Agartha to use the AH as a free player though.

Also, mail is gone outside of the receiving auction monies so no mailing anything to alts.

And no more global chat. No idea how people are going to find other players for groups with no global and 10 player zone limits. The awful social interface I guess?

Shambala is supposedly good but the queue has been broken for every day except the first day.

I really don't see who they are going to appeal to with the relaunch. Old players will hate the changes and lack of new content. New players will hit the grind wall in Trans (if they make it that far) and the f2p systems that wouldn't be out of place in a gpotato game. The good combat/ui/story changes are offset by literally every other change being absolute poo poo.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
So I thought 50 seemed really grindy and that it was taking me forever to gain AP/SP. Like a mission wouldn't even reward one AP. I thought that maybe it was just the lack of a xp bar that was throwing me off.

Nope, after some testing I confirmed that was the case. XP needed to gain AP/SP scaled per level. At 50, it takes around 30k xp for each point of AP/SP. Quests give about 10k. So that's 3 quests a point. For reference, it's around 2.5K per AP/SP at level 1. According to the forums, it scales up to 12k per point by 49 and then jumps to 30k at 50.

So yeah, good luck leveling more than 1 weapon. gently caress the grind I'm out of this poo poo.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Yeah, there has been little to no real testing of progression or game play outside of does it work on a technical level. User experience has not been adequately tested because this is the first phase with a semblance of a full game. Even the it's not feature complete because Elites arent in and PvP queues haven't worked enough for any feedback to be given.

It's a dumpster fire. It looks fine for the first 30 levels but falls apart so fast after that.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

angerbeet posted:

I know it was previously an MMO so it shouldn't be an issue but like... a stress test? Might be a good idea?

You only need a stress test if you expect a significant playerbase. They clearly don't.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Some people on the beta forums did the math for time required to max weapons in SWL. 160 AP per weapon not counting capstones. 30k Xp per 1 AP. At a rate of 8 Carpathian Fangs missions that reward around 8k each, it will take 7 months to complete a single each weapon's actives. Passives take a little longer (a few months). So around 3-4 years for all weapons.

Buying that 160 AP from the cash shop would be around 5500 Aurum which would cost 300 MoF each at the maximum exchange rate. So about 1.5m marks. Which is roughly 100 days. So it currency takes less time to grind out cash shop currently to buy AP than to get it from quests.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 15, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DancingShade posted:

You know what? I'm thinking I might give it a couple weeks after launch before I jump in.

Just to see if they tune things a bit.

The only pro I currently see to jumping in a launch is to be able to manipulate the Marks -> Aurum Exchange to make a bunch of Aurum/Marks before it gets too expensive and while people are dumb. That depends on a lot of things though including people actually shelling out money for this garbage which is a big if right now.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Tallgeese posted:

I mean, to be fair all I had left to do were NM Raids, but this is just not adding much content I don't think.

No new content outside of a new tutorial and a few small changes to the main story. No raids, nightmares, or tokyo at launch. No more battlegrounds or fusang; only Shambala (which is new but who knows how good it is because it's been broken as gently caress since introduced).

The only content addition that might happen is a raid in Kingsmouth but so far the only thing is the entrance portal. That's also likely going to be months after launch. I'll genuinely be surprised if Tokyo comes out this year.

So yeah no new content until 2018 at the earliest.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Schubalts posted:

Isn't TSWL also actively removing some quest content?

Only the faction vs. Faction quests like parking garage and some side quests in the first few zones.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Breidr posted:

Well, I was going to post a lovely grinder meme, but apparently grinders mean something different nowadays.

Holy poo poo though.

So I realized reading my post that it was unclear and going back to edit it. As it reads now it sounds like 7 months for all actives. How it should read is 7 months per weapon. So years of dailies. And much longer for passives.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Aye Doc posted:

oh man, that means i get to play this wonderful game for years and years more to unlock all of this amazing content!

why am i still anticipating this

Because it's the only MMO out there with a different setting that could be really good if it had the right team and resources behind it. It isn't more stock fantasy.

Unfortunately, Funcom seems to have no idea how to overhaul it or no resources to overhaul the game so they fake it:

It needs to be more action oriented like ESO, Neverwinter, etc. Ok, lets make reticle targeting. But that's to hard to do right so let's just fake it with a UI that does a target lock on the last enemy targeted.

New players found the skill wheel and weapon interactions confusing. Ok, no more weapon interactions st all. Each weapon is self-contained and we cherry picked the best abilities. To make them seem like new and revamped abilities, we renamed them and gave them new animations. Oh and each weapon has a gimmick that's really just some form of stacking buff or ring that's basically an Elite Passive. And let's do a second starting tutorial just to make the new player experience that much worse.

We need to monetized the game. Ok, limit absolutely every part of the game and have daily currency or RMT to get around limits. Make it such a grind that the few players that don't give up have to pay a sub and $100s of dollars to progress.

PvP sucked, Fusang was half-assed, our servers couldn't support it. Remove all PvP, introduce a new Battleground that we had 90% done 5 years ago and call it new content.

Etc.

Funcom has addressed everything by picking pretty much the worst possible solution from the list. If they had just revamped skills and loot, added all the QoL upgrades and monetized convenience in some areas (weapons, inventory, buyable AP/SP) without making it a ridiculous grind without spending money, the relaunch would be in a good place. But 90% of what is wrong is that they decided to monetize and limit literally everything you do in game. They might as well give you loving energy like it's a mobile game (which they effectively are with the dailies, severe AP/SP gain nerfs, and keys).

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

From what I understand, you get the WEAPONS for free, but the abilities are still a grind.

Correct. You unlock all the weapons but can't realistically use more than 2 because of the massive grind.

1-50 let's you max the actives of 2 weapons and get about half the passives for each (of all passives for 1). Every set of actives after that is about 5 million xp at 8-10k a quest. So about 500 quest completes to unlock the actives for a weapon and about 1000 for the passives.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 15, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Conskill posted:

Is this like that other Funcom game The Secret World where I'm going to cherry pick specific abilities/passives I want and then spend the vast majority of the game buying random crap abilities for no reason other than I have the points to spend, or am I going to feel compelled to do a 500/1000 quest grind via some new mechanic?

There are only 15 abilities per weapon now. Most of them are impactful. You can only fill out two weapons unless you want to grind your face off.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm one of those lunatics who enjoyed the Museum of the Occult. Has that transferred over to Legends?

Yes. They removed most of the AP costs too and the exhibits give permentant buffs. The buffs are really weak and buggy now though. And the text prompts for most of it haven't been changed.

Also there is a new ARG:

http://www.kissoftherevenant.com

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
https://wiki.crygaia.org/view/Kiss_Of_The_Revenant

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

quote:

The SWL Beta will be coming to a close on Sunday, June 18th @ 0900 EDT / 1300 UTC.

We would like to thank everyone who has participated over these past couple months. Your feedback has played an invaluable role in our efforts to shape and polish the Secret World Legends experience.

We look forward to seeing you at launch!
-Erelon
The beta is coming to a close tomorrow. This means that it is probably a good time to write a state of the game update for the end of beta. The short version is:

If you've never played TSW before, then play this until you finish the story. Spend no money on the game, don't get sucked into the endgame or any of the grind. Just play the story and be done.

If you want this to be the TSW revitalization with new content so you can get back to doing TSW endgame and make it your main MMO.... never going to happen. The relaunch is a horrible Frankenstein gutted of most of the charm with a huge grind strapped on to it that makes most Korean games look sane. If there is a season 2, it will be next year and will probably suck because it was made by the three interns and one UI guy left.

The Good
  • All weapons given weapon unique mechanics that make them all feel different. The mechanic come with unique resource bars and animations
  • Skill wheel completely overhauled to offer three paths per weapon with 5 skills each: A damage path, an alternate role path (tank/heals), and a path that modifies the unique mechanic of the weapon
  • New/improved animations and sound for almost every ability
  • UI completely overhauled to have a modern feel and be less janky
  • Issues content interwoven into the main story and/or appropriate level ranges
  • Easier for new players to understand, better tutorials/introductions
  • Cross-faction cabals
  • SP being spent on Talisman leveling is gone. SP is now for passives, AP is for actives.

The Bad
  • Some of the new weapon mechanics are very RNG and not particularly fun. In some cases, you have to give up a skill slot to use them and/or a passive slot.
  • Reduction in number of skill and passive slots
  • All cross-weapon synergies are gone. There are no longer damage types like burst/strike and complementary passives.
  • The game now has a level system. This has been pitched as a way to be more understandable and approachable to new players. In reality, it just gates content and forces everyone on to a heavy on-rails experience. Other consequences of level system include massive xp nerfs to slow down progression, poor itemization, and requiring you to do all missions whether you want to or not.
  • XP required to gain AP/SP is related to level and not flat as it was in TSW. By level 50 (max level), it takes 10x the xp to gain AP/SP. This means you have to do 3-4 Transylvania quests to gain 1 AP and 2 SP. Each weapon has 165 AP worth of abilities and 750+ SP worth of passives. Leveling to 50 gives you about 330 AP and 600 SP. This means that any weapon you try and get abilities for beyond the first 2 takes a massive amount of XP/Time. Assuming you play 2ish hours every day, it's about 7 months per weapon
  • All talismans/weapons have levels. You upgrade the levels by feeding other talismans/weapons into them. While this could be a decent system, anything beyond blue takes a massive amount of xp/money to level. Upgrading Green to Blue and Blue to Epic requires you to feed another max level Green or Blue into the weapon. This is a huge grind/timesink and one of the main ways of monetizing the game. There's also this whole quality level thing too that triples the grind or makes you spend money to get around it.
  • Dungeon bosses no longer drop loot. Instead, there is a chest after each boss you can open with Dungeon Keys. You get 12 free keys a day (16 if you subscribe). More of keys in Monetization.
  • Nightmares and Tokyo come after launch (likely after steam launch). No word on raids (though there is a new raid portal in Kingsmouth that can't be used yet). They were not available to test in beta.
  • Aux weapons removed
  • Elites were not available to test in beta.
  • Lairs were revamped to come after Elites/Nightmares but were unable to be tested because Elites and Nightmares were not available to gear up for them. Expect them to be a hot mess.
  • When you start you pick a class which unlocks two weapons for you. There's a set list, you can not create your own class to get custom weapon mixes. Everyone who played TSW before and links their account unlocks all weapons (though because of the grind you really can only pick two).

The Monetization
  • Marks of Favor (MoF) and Aurum are the two primary cash shop currencies.
  • Aurum is purchased outright with money.
  • MoF can be earned through dailies (10K a day) and earned through selling items on the AH.
  • You can exchange MoF for Aurum and Aurum for MoF through a exchange. The prices are not fixed but rather set by players with a maximum of 300 MoF per Aurum.
  • Additional inventory and bank slots cost MoF or Aurum. The first few additional slots (now purchasable in increments of 5 instead of 10) cost MoF. The ones after that cost Aurum.
  • AP/SP can be bought for Aurum. Considering how slow the post-50 AP/SP gains are, most people who want to unlock more than two weapons will have to buy AP/SP or grind for months per weapon.
  • All clothes that you can buy are either MoF or Aurum. Some clothes are achievement-based.
  • Loot boxes drop pretty frequently that you can unlock with keys that cost Aurum. They are like GW2 loot boxes. They contain a mix of upgrade items, cosmetics, and weapons. They also contain currency called Third Age Relics which can be used to purchase unique sprints, costumes, and epics.
  • Bosses in Dungeons, Scenarios, and Lairs no longer drop loot. Instead, the loot comes in a big chest after you kill them. The box has random contents and unlocking it takes keys. You get 12 dungeon keys, 3 scenario keys, some amount lair keys per day. More dungeon and scenario keys cost 500 MoF per key. Unsure how raids fit into this. The loot is also primarily upgrade mats with the very rare green level 1 item with a special effect that you will then have to dump tons more items into to level.
  • Sprint levels cost MoF at the start but Aurum shortly afterwards
  • 1 character slot: mo money, mo slots. Considering how bad AP/SP gains are, alts are desirable to level other weapons. Leveling a character to 50 takes a fraction of the time that unlocking new abilities do.
  • All consumables cost MoF
  • You can buy weapon upgrade materials with Aurum

Adding to OP. I will probably play it a little on launch day to see if they actually changed any of the above. If not, it's definitely an uninstall and never touch again.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 18, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Pilchenstein posted:

Shambala's been in the original TSW for ages now. It's by far the best PVP map - 10v10 deathmatch with environmental hazards, where you only get 1 life and the arena keeps shrinking. They kept it because it was the only cross-faction battleground and all the others were generally dominated by a single faction, depending on server populations/time of day.

Good to know. So no new PvP content!

Rookersh posted:

I'd be interested to see how it goes for nongoons.

12 dungeon keys a day is pretty hefty for people who don't plan on grinding dungeons. Even in base TSW I'd rarely do more then 1-2 per day.

Every boss you loot takes a key. So you use them all in 2 dungeons.

Rookersh posted:

Weapons depend on how egregious it is to get another 1-2 weapons for nongoons, as well as how many skills actually matter. Even in TSW base I gravitated to about 3ish core weapons and a 4th weapon I was mainly just loving around with. Also in TSW base I skipped 90% of the actives/'passives for each weapon type. If I can get roughly 60% of the actives for 3 weapons, and a solid enough chunk of the passives that do what I care about buildwise for those 3 weapons, I'm probably not going to be that bothered about the weapon unlocking system solely because I just won't use other weapons. Roughly how much would it cost to unlock 1 additional weapon for a nongoon using real money? Roughly how much MoF would it cost through doing dailies? How about 2 weapons.

Actives and passives are 20k each for the first new weapon so 40k or 4 days. 60k for the next set so 6 days. The MoF cost isn't bad at all and makes sense. The issue is how long it takes to get the AP/SP for the third weapon. Playing casually, you are looking at months. Unless you only get one or two lines of actives and passives on your first/second weapon. At that point you could have three weapons with only a few skills apiece. But you'd really have to know exactly which skills you want. And some of the skills that synergize the most are in different skill lines. It might work for healing/tank weapons where you could ignore the healing/tank skill line. Either way, it's pretty rough.

Rookersh posted:

It looks like the two biggest bulletpoints new players would get stuck up on are the forced two starter weapons rather then getting to choose ( especially with how expensive it is to get other weapons ), plus one character only.

I wonder how this plays out. I get the feeling reading this thread a lot of goons/old TSW players appreciated the do anything approach to the original TSW, so the idea of not unlocking every single weapon/skill seems a bit heretical. Mixed with having to restart and levels and it's probably going to be a tough sell getting the old TSW playerbase back in. But for new players, or people who just heard it's got a good atmosphere, they'll probably be more accepting of a 2-3 weapons ever system, and likely won't care of the levels.

The biggest issue with the system for new people is that it is going to penalize exploration or non-optimal skill builds because every wasted point is a significant amount of play time. If you decide you hate a weapon at 50, your options are rerolling your character, spend a bunch of cash on AP/SP, or grind for weeks/months. This is probably the deal breaker for me. I don't mind the marks of fate or dungeon keys or anything else. The huge AP/SP grind just kills it though.

Rookersh posted:

The question is though, what is anybody buying in this game. If they weren't making enough off selling Issues/Cosmetics before, is this really going to fix it?

They are basically taking the mobile game route by making progression a slog and having people buy their way around it. It will probably make them some money in the short term but as more people hit 50 and really how bad the grind is going to be without spending money, they are going to lose players. I actually think the steam launch being a month off is much worse now. They will have a month of bad press/complaints going into the Steam Launch and it will be dead in the water.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 18, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Avalerion posted:

Which class seems to be the best suited for just doing this?

I disagree with the above advice. Blood isn't in a particularly good place especially later on. It can do a lot of damage but it's pretty easy to kill yourself while doing it. The mechanics don't work that great with soloing Champs or large groups either.

Neither is AR. AR is a bit weak on the damage (probably half your damage or more is tied to High Explosive Grenade every 20 seconds) and while it can self-heal you gimp a lot of damage to do it.

Most of the other weapons are pretty good. Blade and Shotgun are the two standouts in my mind. Blade has a fun mechanic after the revamp and can be played as a stand alone weapon. Shotgun also has one of the better mechanics and can do good AoE and single target damage. It's slightly weaker on the heals than Blade but still good with healing shells.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I bought this back in January during some Christmas sales and got up to... whatever the second area was with the Hell Hotel and amusement park. If I don't really care about end game stuff and just want to see the story, would I be better off playing TSW?

Maybe. SWL does have a simpler and better experience for new players. But there's much less optional content and your experience is very much on rails. It will take you more time to see all the story but might be a better experience.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 18, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Capntastic posted:

http://www.mmorpg.com/puzzle.cfm

Low-effort tie-in ARG but with in-game rewards, give it a shot I guess. It's ongoing apparently, I was only able to solve the first two.

Only two available currently. The others are added as players "collect souls." The link at the top of this page has the solutions.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Pryce posted:

So here's a dumb question, as someone who only played a little bit of the original (and is kind of excited for the relaunch):

The "weapon grind" past the first two starting weapons makes it sound like they'd rather you just roll a new character to experience a new class? If the game had launched from scratch using the new systems, wouldn't it just be a standard class-based MMO, with a (very difficult) opportunity to cross-class via a grind? Is there any reason not to just roll a new character in order to play a new class rather than force yourself through that grind?

I get (and agree) that this is a completely lovely change compared to what it once was, but as someone who barely played the old version, I'm not sure I understand how this is any different from a standard MMO where you can't cross-class spec.

2 reason: 1) Each weapon has passives and a capstone in the active tree you unlock that have Stat boosts. A character with multiple weapons maxed will be significantly stronger. 2) You get 1 character slot. Every additional slot costs money.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It's not just you. Blade, Fist, Hammer, and Shotgun feel significantly better than the other weapons because of their energy restoration and basic attack mechanics. The rest of the weapons just feel worse by comparison.

Basic attacks are still good as blade because they deal extra damage during Spirit Blade and build charges so you always want to weave them and never feel penalized. Blade is so good in this way that you can even use it without another weapon.

Shotgun can restore all of its energy with Shell Salvage and with Even and Odds you actually want to weave basic attacks for a significant bonus. Shotgun can almost be a solo weapon too but it's nice to have an energy dump or two on another weapon for your 5 seconds of downtime every 30 seconds.

Fist has the energy restore on Frenzy end and Frenzy just makes things more interesting.

Even Hammers basics feel better because they build rage and you can use them to build the rage up to drop a huge hit.

On the other end of the spectrum, AR and Blood basics are hot garbage that just feel like tike fillers. The leech one isn't terrible for self-sustain but it's definitely not great.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 20, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Rookersh posted:

So basically what I'm hearing is start with the Shotguns/Hammers class.

Blade/Hammer is good too.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 21, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Capntastic posted:

Is there a client preload somewhere or is that gonna be a shitrodeo too

Shitrodeo for sure. The minimal install wasn't too bad in beta though. 15g maybe.

poptart_fairy posted:

gently caress, I somehow missed that bit. My bad.

It's unclear right now whether Patron is cash only or if you can buy it with cash shop currency. Also unclear is what "Patron Levels" are and how they impact things. They sound like loyalty rewards for being Patron for x months but it's unclear what they actually give.

Basically, Funcom isn't saying poo poo about poo poo and it will be a clown fiesta come launch day.

But that's Funcom.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Many of the weapon specials no longer decay over time, like blade and hammer.

To clarify this, special resources, not special effects. This was changed before the last phase. It really only matters for Hammer because before rage instantly decayed after combat which was awful.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 21, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I posted all the Patron benefits a while ago. 10% xp, 8 hr mission cooldowns, daily loot box key (stacks but you must login and claim), more and cheaper consumables, extra dungeon, scenario, and lair keys, access to auction house anywhere, can trade with other patrons (free players cannot trade),free anima leap, 10% anima shards.

Sub-time from TSW is supposed to carry over to Patron Levels and grandmasters get permentant Patron. The Patron system was barely active for like 2 weeks of beta though so who knows how janky it might be at launch or I'd they even have level rewards ready.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Beta Client Download

This will update to live so you can use this to preload.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
They are still mentioned under what happens when I'm no longer a Patron?

quote:

All benefits associated with the program are active while you are a Patron. When your time expires, you will lose access to those bonuses, but you will keep your current Patron Level. The next time you join the Patron Rewards Program, you will be back where you left off (or maybe a level higher!)

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
All that xfers is some cosmetics. Also, there hasn't really been a headstart email. There has been an end of beta email that said more details on 22nd. More details have yet to come.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

quote:

The TSW Legacy Transfer system is only available to those of you with an existing account in The Secret World. It allows you to:

Copy any remaining TSW Membership time into active Patron status time
Unlock all the weapon pages
Copy over Clothing & Vanity items!
ACCESSING YOUR ACCOUNT
THE ACCOUNT SYSTEM OPENS FRIDAY, JUNE 23rd FOR THE HEAD START! YOU CANNOT ACCESS THE SECRET WORLD LEGENDS ACCOUNT SYSTEM UNTIL THEN.
Your current TSW account has already been linked to Secret World Legends.

In order to login into Secret World Legends for the first time, simply use your TSW game login details and you’re all set!

Please note:

To be eligible for the TSW Legacy Transfer, you must log into Secret World Legends using your TSW credentials. Brand-new Secret World Legends accounts are NOT linkable to TSW accounts retro-actively.
Login details on existing TSW accounts remain unchanged, should you wish to log back onto TSW.
If you have forgotten your TSW account details, you can recover them directly from the Secret World Legends account page:
account.secretworldlegends.com

Account system does not open until tomorrow: https://secretworldlegends.com/news/legacy-transfers/

quote:

Almost every single article of clothing available in the dressing room of any character on your TSW account gets copied to your Secret World Legends account. The only clothing items that won’t copy over are Faction uniforms earned through Faction Ranks. Those can be re-earned through gameplay.

All clothing that copies over is available in the dressing room of every character on your Secret World Legends account.

There are some important things to keep in mind:

• Clothing items must be in a Dressing Room or physically equipped by a character in order to be copied. Unopened Clothing in your Inventory, unopened Item Store Claims, or unopened Delivered Items are not copied.
  • Clothing items are separate for female and male character models! To ensure that all clothing items can copy over from TSW, we recommend having at least one character of each gender model, with all potential items unlocked and collected in your Dressing Room.
  • This means that clothing items for male character models should be in the Dressing Room or equipped by a male character models. Clothing items for female character models should be in the Dressing Room or equipped by a female character model.Example: If you have only one female character on your TSW account, but own a clothing set with both male and female costume parts, only the female model outfit will be transferred to Secret World Legends. If you want the male counterpart, make sure to claim this outfit on a male character in TSW before initiating the Transfer.
  • Faction items are separate items! If you own faction-exclusive items, you must have them in the dressing room or equipped by characters of the corresponding factions to have them copied.
  • Characters with items you want copied must be active (i.e., not deleted) at the time you initiate the Legacy Transfer.
  • All pets you currently own in your Pet Window copy over, with the exception of pets awarded from the Museum of the Occult, as well as the Guardians of Gaia “Shem” pets.
  • All Sprint Styles and Mounts you currently own in your Sprint Window copy over, with the exception of the Franken-Chopper. Current owners of the Franken-Chopper instead receive the new “Speed Demon” bike in Secret World Legends. The Franken-Chopper is now a reward from a mission obtained from Moose at Level 50.
    Achievements you earned in TSW do not copy over, although any clothing rewards you earned for completing those achievements do copy over.
  • Titles are not a part of the Legacy Transfer system and do not copy over to Secret World Legends.

Pretty much everything transfers. So log onto TSW tonight and spend any cash you might still have lying around to buy everything from Pangea.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 23, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
With the impending launch (probably Saturday after a day of servers crashing) here are a few tips for getting started.

Do
  • Pick two weapons and stick with them. If the two you want aren't in the starting classes the only put AP/SP into one weapon until you can unlock the other.
  • Use matching items only when upgrading (shotgun into shotgun, dps talisman into dps talisman). This doesn't seem that important early on but once you are trying to level blues you will blow through anima shards using non-matching items
  • Auction any talismans and weapons you don't need. Auction for MoF > Sell for Anima. You might even get 100 MoF out of a faded and that's better than 50 anima shards.
  • Sell any Radiant talismans or Rank III weapons you get early on. They are a very minor stat upgrade that you can cash in on for tons of MoF/Aurum.
  • Collect all lore you see when you see it. Because of the way AP/SP scale with XP, it isn't worth saving lore.
  • Be really smart about where you put SP points. It's temping to grab all those cheap stat boosts. However, you get so little AP/SP at 50 that you want to make every point count. Only build towards passives you actually want.
  • Use your dungeon keys every day. The distillates are a good way to level items.
  • Kill all the rares once for the extra loot.
  • All bonus objectives. They usually take a minute or two and give good loot.

Don't
  • Put points into a third weapon until you have everything you want from your first two.
  • Skip missions until you are in Scorched Desert. If you don't do just about every main and side mission, you will start running into level gating.
  • Open Cache's until you are 50. The rewards scale as you level. Even once you are 50, it may not be worth it buy keys. AP/SP is more limited than item xp so that's probably a better use of Aurum.
  • Run dungeons if you don't have keys. You get very little xp.
  • Worry too much about which quality of talismans to upgrade at first. By the time you are ready to merge greens into blues, you should have luminous or radiants to level.
  • Buy consumables while level. Huge waste of marks.
  • Buy abilities or passives that you don't absolutely need or that aren't in the way of something you absolutely need. AP/SP is extremely limited in SWL especially compared to TSW. Every point spent counts.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 23, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The account creation page isn't up yet but you might be able to create and play. They said they copied all TSW accounts to SWL as active.

It's like the clothing system. They said they were going to be selective on what transfers. When it actually came time to implement though, they said gently caress it, too much work, ctl+c, ctl+v.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 23, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Headstart at 2pm EDT.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Prygelknabe posted:

"Oh hey, I should see about that taco-eating achievement before Legends drops" I thought to myself.

7460 tacos it requires.
Each taco has a 5 second cooldown.

Unless I'm screwing up my math (which is very possible), that's over 10 hours of scarfing tacos.

:negative:

Correct. In legends, that achievement will end up costing around 100k MoF.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I'll post the account link when it's available. You'll need to xfers your account through that. You can't download it on Steam, unless you want to wait until July. You can follow the link I posted at the top of the page to download the client.

prefect posted:

I'm just really bummed out about being locked in to a weapon right off the bat. Now I'm paralyzed with indecision.

Do you have an old tsw account? If so you get all of them (but not the AP/SP to freely swap).

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 23, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
They probably can't get the account transfer working. There was no testing of it during beta and the new account page still isn't up.

No surprise that Funcom wasn't prepared for a headstart they only announced 2 weeks ago and didn't have anything ready and tested to support.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

prefect posted:

Not only do I have an old TSW account, I was one of the geniuses who bought a lifetime subscription. :downs:

Then you start with everything unlocked and permentant patron. It's just a matter of choosing which two to focus first. You can start building a third one after 50 but I'd really wait until then.

For everyone, DO NOT PUT POINTS INTO WEAPON CAPSTONES UNLESS YOU JUST REALLY WANT THE COSTUME. They give almost no stats for a ton of AP. Spend that on other weapons.

afkmacro posted:

I haven't played in years, I quit a few months into the original launch. Reading these posts about only 2 weapons makes me wonder what to build my char around. I forget what my build was before I quit and the browser based character viewer is dead. :|

Make sure to xfer your account to unlock everything. I suggest any combination of Hammer, Blade, Shotgun, Pistol, Fist. Chaos is very strong for tanking so do that if you really want to tank. Elementalism is nothing special. Blood is a bit fiddly but fine for most things. AR is just boring and very dependant on one ability for its damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Files to update the beta client to live are now available. Download is going pretty slow right now so you may want to start as soon as you can.