Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wait, they not only removed the faction missions, but other missions have been removed as well? Which missions? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Have they talked about bringing back the faction quests?

And can you link any of the quests that got removed? I mean even the stuff like the phone on the ground of the laundry lady in Kingsmouth had some decent worldbuilding to it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Faction missions are back in? Sweet.

Asked a friend to do a runthrough of missing quests outside of those, and it sounds like it's mainly just those really boring repeatable gather quests I ignored anyways. She couldn't find the laundry quest though, was that also removed? Near the fire station in Kingsmouth, where there's a phone on the ground and it ends with Geary telling you not to stick your nose in Illuminati business? Maybe I just described it poorly to her, or maybe she just wasn't high enough level to see it yet.

That quest was pretty banal, so if it's still there, I imagine most of the smaller story quests are as well.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

I haven't gotten to test much other than the starters due to the frequent wipes and the time it takes to unlock and level others. Blade, Hammer, and Shotgun are all really fun weapons and any combination of them would be good. You can actually get away with a blade only build that works really well (because of the special effect of blade). Blood was interesting for people who like casters. I liked AR when it was the first weapon I played but after playing any other weapon I can't recommend it any more. Chaos is interesting but I didn't do a lot of testing there. Pistols seems strong with all the debuffs so Pistol/Hammer, Pistol/Blade, or Pistol/Chaos will probably be strong dps builds.

And yes the outfits are still in.

Would Pistols/Shotgun be worthwhile or no?

Also who all plans to jump in on release vs Steam release? Seems like it'd be a safer bet to jump in at Steam release, so that's when I'm coming back.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

Oh gently caress I just realized that unless lairs are instanced, no more zerging bosses and super fun 50x summon chain runs. The 10 player cap per instance will make things tough. Has anyone tested how it impacts group formation? If your instance is full, how does using the meet up command work? I wonder if parties can get their own private instance.

Filthy Bees.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'd be interested to see how it goes for nongoons.

12 dungeon keys a day is pretty hefty for people who don't plan on grinding dungeons. Even in base TSW I'd rarely do more then 1-2 per day.

Weapons depend on how egregious it is to get another 1-2 weapons for nongoons, as well as how many skills actually matter. Even in TSW base I gravitated to about 3ish core weapons and a 4th weapon I was mainly just loving around with. Also in TSW base I skipped 90% of the actives/'passives for each weapon type. If I can get roughly 60% of the actives for 3 weapons, and a solid enough chunk of the passives that do what I care about buildwise for those 3 weapons, I'm probably not going to be that bothered about the weapon unlocking system solely because I just won't use other weapons. Roughly how much would it cost to unlock 1 additional weapon for a nongoon using real money? Roughly how much MoF would it cost through doing dailies? How about 2 weapons.

It looks like the two biggest bulletpoints new players would get stuck up on are the forced two starter weapons rather then getting to choose ( especially with how expensive it is to get other weapons ), plus one character only.

I wonder how this plays out. I get the feeling reading this thread a lot of goons/old TSW players appreciated the do anything approach to the original TSW, so the idea of not unlocking every single weapon/skill seems a bit heretical. Mixed with having to restart and levels and it's probably going to be a tough sell getting the old TSW playerbase back in. But for new players, or people who just heard it's got a good atmosphere, they'll probably be more accepting of a 2-3 weapons ever system, and likely won't care of the levels.

The question is though, what is anybody buying in this game. If they weren't making enough off selling Issues/Cosmetics before, is this really going to fix it?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So basically what I'm hearing is start with the Shotguns/Hammers class.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

Blade/Hammer is good too.

I really like guns, and really hate ninjas.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Its Secret World still.

The monetization stuff is awful, but from doing the math you can have 2-3 weapons mostly unlocked by the end of 1-50, and almost fully unlocked by the end of Tokyo. They gave all old players 3 character slots/all the weapons unlocked to begin with, which means you can still play with most of the weapons. Considering I was never going to do anything outside of Shotgun/Hammer/Pistols this seems ok.

Most importantly even with the worst launch imaginable it's apparently taken off. People on Reddit are saying they've already put $500+ into the game every day since launch, and can't get enough of SWL. It's captured the elusive whale market. Aka we will finally see what comes after Tokyo, and potentially even Season 2 all off the backs of the whales. And we won't have to pay for it!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hammer/Shotgun was not tested at all.

The thing to think about for a good secondary in this seems to be if it can be used without any building. Hammers have a few buffs they give sure, but if you want to use the abilities you need Rage. And you can't get Rage while fighting/getting hit while using a Shotgun.

But if you switch to Hammers first with the Shotgun as a secondary, the Shotgun STARTS loaded, and has a ton of abilities that say "gets stronger based on shells used.".

Between the Hammer abilities buffing me up/healing me, mixed with the heals/damage of 6shot Shotgun abilities and I'm unkillable and do more damage then most DPS. I'm running around Shambala tanking entire groups and 1-2 shotting them. I soloed Polaris at the level you are supposed to group Polaris.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Can you eventually upgrade a MK1 weapon to MK2? Or do you have to switch to a MK2 once you find one you like and then start upgrading that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Probably a dumb question.

I remember when I played this ages ago, there was a quest I got as Illuminati around Blue Mountain to go check out a Parking Garage. I got a lantern or something out of it. It wasn't a very exciting mission being honest.

Someone said there was a Templar version with a haunted house. A Dragon mission that was ???. And I'd keep getting missions every few zones.

I thought those were the faction missions. And that they had been removed.

But this is just the return of 3 missions, and they all seem pretty banal/late level.

Did I just mix up what factions missions were? Are those other missions still in the game?