Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I know folks are so-so about the relaunch, but here's a video of the new Combat system, and I'm actually a bit excited to play (as someone who never got out of Blue Mountain, to be fair):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgMWQ1tAJ_g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

AP/SP Purchase:

So, someone has never built an F2P game before, I guess. The whole point of the bigger packages is to offer a bit of a discount so that you're incentivized to buy the biggest one with the best value. This is...not that.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Capntastic posted:

Yeah don't suggest names for the free2play group unless you have credentials you can flex

Serious Beesiness

Beecret World

:tipshat:

Pryce
May 21, 2011
So here's a dumb question, as someone who only played a little bit of the original (and is kind of excited for the relaunch):

The "weapon grind" past the first two starting weapons makes it sound like they'd rather you just roll a new character to experience a new class? If the game had launched from scratch using the new systems, wouldn't it just be a standard class-based MMO, with a (very difficult) opportunity to cross-class via a grind? Is there any reason not to just roll a new character in order to play a new class rather than force yourself through that grind?

I get (and agree) that this is a completely lovely change compared to what it once was, but as someone who barely played the old version, I'm not sure I understand how this is any different from a standard MMO where you can't cross-class spec.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

2 reason: 1) Each weapon has passives and a capstone in the active tree you unlock that have Stat boosts. A character with multiple weapons maxed will be significantly stronger. 2) You get 1 character slot. Every additional slot costs money.

Well. gently caress.

(Thanks!)

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

Did someone make a cabal? If not, I can but I'm going to be passing it to the first person that will take it from me!

Richard M Nixon posted:

All the good/funny names were blacklisted. Even the word goon is blacklisted. Thanks, Funcom.

I snagged the name Lowtax's Bees if anyone thinks that's a cool cabal name.

E: Apparently we can change the faction name later. Post your character names for an invite. I think you have to be online for it to work, :iiam:.

E2: Three runs through polaris, 15x distillates and 0 'real' loot. Woop.

Sounds like it.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I thought existing accounts got all weapons unlocked? All my pages say they need to be purchased, and I did the account transfer yesterday :(

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

Are you in Kingsmouth yet?

Ah, I had a feeling it was something like that. Thanks!

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Invite DoctorDake when someone has a sec? Thanks!

Pryce
May 21, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm not sure if it's a glitch I'm having or not since I haven't bought anything in SWL, but when I logged in a bit ago, my character select screen said I had two more slots to use.
They apparently gave 2 slots to all existing/former players:
https://secretworldlegends.com/news/producers-blog-head-start/

quote:

As an additional bonus for the TSW Legacy Transfer system we will be giving out 2 free character slots for everyone that links their SWL account to a valid TSW account. This bonus will only be available during the Legacy Transfer window (ends in August). Please be aware that you cannot have more than 8 character slots on an account!

Pryce
May 21, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

The only reason I've got the three characters in TSW was for the separate faction stuff. Since from what I've seen, stuff like the faction quests are gone so why bother with multiple characters especially if you've found a weapon set that you like and works well for you.

No idea. I'd say it's for those who want to 'skip the grind', but these slots are literally only given to people who also get every class unlocked.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
https://secretworldlegends.com/news/hotfix-june-25-2017-downtime/

quote:

As you may have noticed the servers have been down for most of today. I apologize for the extended downtime. Early today we discovered an error that caused the Exchange to break which made quite an impact on the game. When you log in you will find that your character’s Aurum has been reverted to the amount it was at before this occurred. Any valid purchase of Aurum made after this point will also be applied. Marks of Favour / Cache Keys will be also be reset for some players that used the Exchange after it was broken. We have also banned a large number of players that took advantage of the broken Exchange.

The Auction House and the Exchange are temporarily disabled to give us more time to test the fixes to them. We hope to have both features back and working very soon!

We are very sorry for the amount of time the server was down and the impact the event has had on any of you. Once the situation is resolved we will be rewarding players with compensation for the downtime!
Thanks again for your patience!

-Scott

Sure am glad I didn't find out about the exploit until it was over.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Inverted Sphere posted:

Fair enough! So how bad does the grind end up getting, since I noticed the OP mentioning that you pretty much need to pick two weapons and stick with them and if you wanna play with other weapons, you basically have to start paying real cash or taking an alt through the story? That feels like that adds a lot of pressure to not just pick starting weapons willy-nilly.

The character creation screen is literally 'pick a class' now. So pick one that sounds cool, and if you don't like it, delete and pick another. No different than any other MMO in that regard (other than having a single character slot... so decide early.)

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Double AP/SP gains for Patron is actually really really good. I would consider subbing just for that if it's a blanket "double XP" bonus.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Drinkfist posted:

It's called pandering. You see this every four years in the USA. Season 2 is The Wall.

Not sure why being pandered to is a bad thing. I get free poo poo.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Capntastic posted:

When it comes to watchmen hoodies and assorted other goodies for the Funcompetent game The Secret World

There's probably a cutoff and the access codes are shutoff though you can surely try if you are bleak and bored

Empty quote me: Nevermore

holy poo poo

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Kessel posted:

I put in a little money to have Patron and the free teleports and quicker cool downs on quests are huge quality of life improvements.

Yeah I finally gave in and subscribed this weekend. Definitely worth it. Hit level 20 and made it to Savage Coast finally.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

NLJP posted:

So I can log in to my old many years dormant secret world account but can't see a way to link it to a secret world legends one. I was told I should just be able to log in with my old info on the legends site but no deal.

Do I just make a new legends account and then is there an option to link?

Is it even worth it? I hardly got any cosmetics on my old account that I remember, I think I just about finished Egypt back then.

https://secretworldlegends.com/news/legacy-transfers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Phrases I never used before Secret World: "I thought the Latin was spelled wrong on purpose as part of the puzzle, it took me three tries of the "right" answer before I tried the one they actually gave me."

When the helper NPC yells "No!" or something like that a big shade appears on the second platform (reached by jumping off the first one) and needs to be killed. This is because it covers that platform with miasma, and when the NPC yells "we need to get to a new platform" flappy bird covers the main one in deathzone so everyone needs to go to the top, where they'll die if the shade is still up. Nevermind that the bottom platform is so big that by the time you jump off you're either dead, or the attack has ended as soon as you land on the top so youi can drop back down.

Jumping off the bottom puts you on top? How the gently caress were you supposed to know that from the VO? I kept looking up expecting some magical rope to appear or something.