Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If you're looking for any real horror there is nothing scary in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I noticed one or two pieces of lore in the tutorial subway (were those always there?) and that got me thinking, does this game have missable lore?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I got the one from the CoM jumping puzzle before knowing about the quest.

So how is it in the relaunch?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

What are you, Canadian?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Len posted:

Why would they warn you? Do other games give warning when they do things like that?

There's legitimate things to complain about but changing the mystery boxes up is not one of them.

Warframe does. :colbert:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Reading the FAQ it sounds like it'll work seemlessly. We'll see next week I guess.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Then you're an idiot because if it fucks up I'll never have to play again. :angel:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

prefect posted:

And Avast decided that SecretWorldLegends.exe was a virus! :toot:

Something to watch out for:

I don't which lazy joke to make. Filth or saving you from yourself.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Len posted:

Because megabosses aren't fun. Have never been fun. And will never be fun. It's just 40 people spamming whatever particle effects they can before they get killed by lag/poorly defined mechanics.

Not in this game, no. Somehow Guild Wars 2 had some fun ones. Not sure how but I won't question it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I think it was stupid to introduce the Steam launch with a time limited endgame narrative event.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
gently caress!!!

Not South Africa.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You had a hand in making a thing we enjoy! gently caress you!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is it a permanent cosmetic Borat mankini?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The only differences I care about. And swapping the Illuminati and Templar intermissions.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Okay but microtransaction idea:

$1.99 to be a double agent for 48 hours. Play everything the same but get the selected faction's exclusive missions/briefing text!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Congrats to our own theflyingorc!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Exactly. You're getting a promotion. Time to unban Evil Bill Murray!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-DpPicOZOig&t=12s

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Len posted:

I've been unbanned for awhile I just wandered away out of boredom this time

Okay well play that scene in reverse then.

But way same. On the reboot my friends and I restarted and dropped real hard. I hear it's better X months after the relaunch but it was tough to throw our progress out like that. We never even made it to Tokyo...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Bombogenesis posted:

Jumped back into this game last night with a couple friends. Does it always seem so depressingly empty?

It's a well-kept secret.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How do I open these beehives?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
One hive only? I have to do it multiple times to open this stack of hives?

Where is this portal or is it one of those "can't miss it" affairs?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Did they unban you with the reboot?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Please, PLEASE let the premium currency be spice so we can have a "Best Value!" spice pack.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You have to manually walk without rhythm unless you buy the VIP account for a one time upgrade of $4.99.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I would have literally kept playing the game if it wasn't for the atrocious reboot. Best MMO I ever played until then.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

If I recall, there was also an expectation that the Lovecraftian horror genre would tap into and retain customers who wouldn't normally play MMOs. Since their two previous MMOs that weren't standard Tolkienesque fantasy had both successfully dethroned WoW, this wasn't considered farfetched at all.

I was literally this customer except after it went B2P.

I miss this game but having to restart from almost literally nothing with a way shittier game masquerading as this one killed any interest I had after the relaunch.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I will likely never play this again, I feel the rework of the mechanics ruined the game for me.

Is there a cool place I can read the story? It was good but I never made it to Tokyo and it's been so long that I don't remember what happened at all in the game at this point.

They found a thing and brought it back and some guy stabbed the planet and then she's flexible?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
God drat this game had the potential to be something amazing.

Despite all its failures and mismanagement, the original incarnation is still my favorite MMO...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Didn't you also have to platform up the pyramid for a quest and it was extremely finnicky?

Also, did the relaunch do anything to CoM or is it still exactly what it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
All the dungeons are now only three people, right? So if I decided to see just how bad the re-release is I would only need two suckers, not four?