Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I just got authed in the Discord and there's like... no activity.

I played the absolute poo poo out of it when it launched, then got bored waiting for Tokyo, then kind of forgot about it, and I'm trying it again. These changes are... interesting, but I can't say they're bad or good until I try them more. I sprung for the VIP subscription since I know I at least will play through the story missions and wants the VIP bonuses and I also make bad choices

I'm playing the Blades/Elemental class currently. Is Blades viable? I remember back in The Day melee DPS was for masochists when it came to Nightmare dungeons.

Anyone still play this? I'd love to group up with some goons and murder horrible nightmare monsters and run the Ankh until I go insane because Ankh is probably my favorite dungeon in any MMORPG ever and I have dearly missed good old Dr. Klein.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ossipago posted:

For playing the story anything is fine. For endgame blade isn't the best if you're min/maxing (I think hammer is still the meta primary for both melee DPS and tanking) but it's still passable.

Thanks. I'll probably at least want to give Nightmare Dungeons a shot, but by then I imagine I'll have other weapons to chose from.

Character's name is MarbleHornets, btw, so people can add me to their friends list if they want.

EDIT: So far I'm not really minding the changes at all, EXCEPT my legacy Bodyguard costume is all fucky and the character model clips through it, and I'm kind of angry about it cuz Illumanti Gas Mask + Bodyguard suit = :discourse:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 18, 2019

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Uh does this game have a lot of bots?

Cuz I just did Polaris and I'm really lucky they made the dungeons easier. The "tank" stood in literally every AoE that targeted him and basically I wound up soloing every single boss to death except the Primordial Dweller, which the tank continued to shoot at while it was untargetable, and also after it died. Took a while on the Ur-Draug, but I did it! No one said a single word.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In general TSW's dungeons remain, to this day, some of my favorite MMO content ever. The Ankh and the Facility get special shout outs, but all of the dungeons were just loving great

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I specifically love Dr. Klein and Halina Ilyushin. Mechanically Dr. Klein was a lot of fun and I just loved the themes and voice lines in both fights so loving much

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

The first area you start in is amazing.

The first part of egypt, not so. Never got any further :/

It's rough. My favorite dungeon is in the first Egypt zone, though

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The only reason FFXIV is my favorite MMO instead of Secret World is because FFXIV keeps getting constant content updates.

I will never love a dungeon the way I loved Ankh, though. It is the best MMORPG dungeon ever in the history of MMOs.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

I was playing a game with an impossibly long hallway and I randomly remembered how good that Transylvania quest line was where you got the flamethrower.

The sleepless lullaby still sticks in my head sometimes

https://youtu.be/S2aHcANs4GE

The highs in this game were so incredibly good

Goddamn I clicked the link and the first two notes gave me chills. That really was a fuckin' great bit of the game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

Also The Ankh is legitimately the best dungeon in the game

:agreed:

The Ankh might be my favorite dungeon in any MMO ever.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Egypt is extremely hit or miss, IIRC; it's been a while.

It does, however, have the Ankh, which, if I haven't mentioned it before, is the best dungeon in any MMO ever.

(I have definitely mentioned it before many, many times)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

what was the aux weapon that was incredibly useless but had a PBR can as part of the skin? because that was great

I think that was the Quantum Brace

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah that was the name! It never fit my playstyle so useless may be incorrect. I was also a fan of chainsaw for that sweet sweet threat

I miss my laser chainsaw

I don't remember the Quantum Brace that well. IIRC I used the Rocket Launcher since I was focused on huge fuckin' damage (where possible)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Couldn't find a link on the SWL site, but I googled it and found it

http://cdn.funcom.com/downloads/tsw/client/TheSecretWorldInstaller.exe

Looks like it can still be downloaded.

E: Checking if the server is actually still up now.

EE: It is downloading/patching. This might take a while but the Server Status says Online so it's still playable I'd assume!

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 18, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NGL while I don't regret not buying a lifetime sub, I would not have regretted buying one, either.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Wait, if you didn't buy Tokyo when TSW was current you can't play it on the old-school server? Booooooo

EDIT: apparently I am wrong, I just logged in to the old school server and got a mission from Kiersten which appears to be the prelude to Tokyo.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 19, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Bardeh posted:

I somehow managed to avoid ever playing this despite trying pretty much every other MMO out there over the past decade and a half, and it's actually pretty cool! The voice acting is really good, the game seems decently written, and (I just got to the first actual zone, the New England zombie town) the atmosphere is suitably creepy. There aren't many other players around though - I ran into a few at Agartha and a couple questing in this zone, but the overall impression is that the game isn't exactly bustling with life. Is there any mandatory group content at any point where this could cause a problem?

Like others have said, I think they keep the cap per instance low to keep things spooky.

The dungeons are really cool and I strongly recommend doing them, but yeah they're not strictly necessary.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

All right so I literally just did the intro to Tokyo and set foot in the zone proper on the classic server.

I am so loving mad that this game doesn't get more support. Literally just like the first ten minutes or so of Tokyo and I loving love it. TSW would easily be my favorite MMO beyond all others if it just got support. :negative:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 23, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like the Facility tbh, Halina Ilyushin has the best voice lines and I like that stupid loving laser computer

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I love that kind of poo poo and I remember Blood For The Blood Dog

There are also mobs called Cannibal Corpse and Ancient Mariner (which I still insist is a reference to the Iron Maiden song "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

You know that's also the title of a famous poem from the late 1700s, right?

....You're right. My brain immediately went to Cannibal Corpse -> Other Metal Band :negative:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

I once saw an argument break out online over whether the phrase "Hallowed be thy Name" was a reference to the Lord's Prayer or the Iron Maiden song :v:

lmao

I mean, at least I figured out pretty quickly where I hosed up, but that's.... something

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sweet

Len posted:

It's going to be based off dnd 5e isn't it
Oh, nevermind

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Bumping this dead thread to say I finally went through Tokyo and South Africa and they were great and this game still loving owns after all these years and it is very depressing that there will almost certainly be no more story content ever, and it also sucks rear end that they won't ever port the Tokyo Dungeons and the missing raids over to SWL. :smith:

I hope the TTRPG will inspire Funcom to add some new content or at least finish converting all the old content, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I bought Moons of Madness but, along with like 90 other Steam games, haven't gotten around to playing it. I ought to.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So I joined a random pubbie Cabal cuz I want to do dungeons and stuff and I am now seeing what a staggering grind the end game is lmao, holy loving poo poo :eyepop:

Started inspecting random people and while item level 1700(!) is sufficient to enter the hardest stuff in the game, I saw someone who had item level 5000(!!!!!) weapons.

I am currently item level 153.

Oh well, not like I have to rush so I'm ready for the next content update :smith:

I did have someone run me through baby elite mode Ankh which is my favorite dungeon, though, so that was cool.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh, you're right. That's... significantly less terrifying. Still seems like a bit of a grind but, well, MMORPG.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Xenaul posted:

If see someone advertising for "regionals" always joins up, it will help a lot quickly, just try to have an empty bag. Also always join lairs. Do not worry about doing damage.

Just did a lair, actually! Embarrassed myself by dying like four times lol. What are "regionals" in this context?

I assume that teaser is for a Spring Event.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

As I expected, it's the Equinox event. I had hoped for new content but obviously I don't expect it.

Secret World Legends: Man I hope it's new content, but I know it won't be. :smith:

Still love this game though

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'd buy that book. I really just want more story. Ironically I remember back at launch it turned out my Cabal leader was a dev and he eventually mentioned how the Congo was a location they were working on for the future and to see it finally referenced in the Dawn of the Morninglight arc was cool. Ah, what could have been...

EDIT: I also want more dungeons. I loving love the dungeons in this game to the point where I'm seriously debating buying some Funcom Funbux to buy the issues I don't have in classic and trying to find enough people to run Penthouse and the Manufactory Dungeons since I never saw them and Manufactory doesn't exist in SWL

Basically this game makes me both extremely happy and extremely sad at the same time

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 17, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

On the upside for me since I never did SWL endgame until now I'm finding grinding missions and scenarios to slowly raise my gear score to be actually very chill and fun. The fact that pretty much everyone is so powerful that they trivialize dungeons until, like, E8, maybe higher, is a bummer since I'm just about to break into E3 range. I liked the challenging dungeons.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yes :negative:

It really does seem evident that Funcom has abandoned all their MMOs and is focused on developing/publishing non-MMO online games like Conan Exiles and Chop-Chop and whatever they're doing with this Dune game, and owning various pulp IPs

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah as much as I love TSW I recall rumblings that it needed to break a million subs to meet goals and I knew that was never gonna loving happen.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I tried MxO and I thought it was fun but my computer couldn't run it well and I kind of forgot about it when I finally upgraded. I remember the combat was interesting and the live story was really cool.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

And Funcom blamed GW2 and D3 for detracting from their launch in official press releases/statements.

While I don't think TSW would've performed notably better if GW2 hadn't launched at the same time, this does remind me of seeing people in the TSW beta and early days insisting that TSW didn't have the holy trinity. Naturally that didn't persist past Kingsmouth. I think it's because TSW didn't have hard classes, combined with them thinking of GW2's marketing.

Not GW2's fault, and like I said, I don't think it made any sort of difference re: TSW's failure. I do remember being both amused and frustrated though

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah if you were over "leveled" for dungeons you could do some nasty stuff. I did run nightmares and I remember always needing a tank and healer. I also remember certain Nightmares needing very specific skills. IIRC you did need a rush/blink skill for NM Facility, but it didn't have to be Rocket Jump. I think I did it with the blink from Elementalism.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

some friends talked me into playing wow classic with them and i have yet to do a dungeon that was as fun as any of these

As someone who's played an unreasonable number of MMOs, no game has dungeons as good as Secret World.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

i keep asking things like "does this fight have mechanics?" and the answer has always been "no"

even polaris, babys first dungeon, had mechanics in the fights

also there's a story behind the dungeon other than "hey so there's some bad guys in here and they look pretty much like very other thing in the dungeon go kill them i guess"

FFXIV dungeons probably come closest to Secret World dungeons in that most of them tie into the main story and bosses have mechanics but they're still not nearly as cool. The Ankh will forever be my favorite dungeon, period, and all the Hell Dungeons and the Facility hold a special place in my heart.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, I should've excluded Hell Fallen. I like it but I just read through it and realized none of the Hell bosses I remember are from Hell Fallen. It's still good IMO, but not as goon as Raised, Eternal, the Ankh, or the Facility.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

coming up on two years :(

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

John Romero posted:

they let me migrate my old acct over. is there any goon presence in this game

I was playing for a while but then decided to play a shitload of unplayed single player games in my Steam Library. Might play again in a few months.

So no, there isn't.