Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Anniversary event is live. No new content (unless you count a shirt and a sprint cosmetic) but if you're playing the game for the first time the login rewards might be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I spent a good chunk of time acquiring and leveling mythic BiS gear for both DPS and sustain tank metas and have had it for so long now, and there's no new content to really motivate me to re-gear if that's what this ends up necessitating. Like there's just no way I'm doing even half that grind again just to replay stale content. Hopefully they also make the gearing process drastically faster or I can see this burning out a lot of people.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

theflyingorc posted:

Most of their MMOs haven't made enough money to support further development properly, that's it, that's the problem.

AoC had some ridiculously large amount of players at launch though. If that count being too small is the reason devs fizzled out, then just what kind of player base did it need to be properly supported?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I can't think of many other companies that have such great, beloved IPs and squanders them so thoroughly. Like they really seemed to "get" the world of Conan, and SWL is an amazing spin on Lovecraftian poo poo. How do they attract so much talent and then mismanage it so badly? AoC did finally get sort of fixed over a period of several years, so it seems someone figured out what needed to be done and did it, but just too late. There's a great Harvard case study of how not to manage a business, somewhere in there.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Somehow AoC is getting yet another (minor) content update, so Funcom hasn't fully gone maintenance mode on their MMOs. Maybe we'll get the Congo in the form of a horde mode scenario or two.