Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lawlicaust posted:

Q: Are Factions still a thing?

A: Kind of? You join one but they currently have no missions, there's one PvP area (not currently in beta), and cabals are cross faction.

Does this mean Kirsten Geary is gone? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lawlicaust posted:

No, all the faction leaders are still in and they still give you flavor text for missions. However, the faction versus faction missions like Parking Garage are gone. The missions you would get whenever you got a faction rank. Devs have been radio silent on why.

Maybe they don't want anything limited to just some players? Especially if it's going to continue to be alt-unfriendly. (I had to Google this "parking garage" thing, because that's a mission for lameos and squares. :D)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

Then you're missing out because the dungeons are fun and have story.

Polaris: Ties into the story of Solomon Islands and what happened after the Vikings rolled up to beat up the Mayans...bad things

Hell Raised: Part one of the three part liberation of Hell

Darkness War: A dream quest about the time the Mayans invaded in an effort to release The Dreamers

Ankh: An ancient ruin full of mummies, filth, and Orochi

Hell Fallen: Part two of the liberation of Hell also the weakest dungeon IMO

The Facility: An old Cold War bunker where the Soviets tried and succeeded to create a Star Child

Hell Eternal: The last part of the liberation of Hell

Slaughterhouse: A Soviet research facility where they tried to make super soldiers with vampire DNA

The raids only one has any story at all and it's not very good.

I was a "no grouping for me" person, but I did eventually manage to attach myself to some goonish parties and wound up getting to do all of the dungeons; they are quite enjoyable, story-wise. I recommend giving them a shot.

Edit: It's an enormous help if you get a group with enough patience to explain tactics to you, because there's some stuff that's confusing and that will kill you PDQ.

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 30, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Exmond posted:

What was the tokyo one..

Aegis Dungeon (Orochi tower?): Rampage through an orochi tower and stop John (Filth) from getting at teddy bear chick. Teddy bear chick reveals she can "heal" tokyo somehow using a music box.

I fell out of actively playing between Tokyo expansions, so I never got to do that one. :(

I understand you also get angel wings at some point? :sigh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Exmond posted:

Angel wings are great. The wings you get are based off the decisions you made in the story. If you sided with the filth, remained neutral, or listened to Gaia

Getting them is even cooler. Pretty much you are after Lillith who is camped up in the impenetrable orochi tower. So what do you do? You Team up with everyone in tokyo, including JOHN avatar of the filth. You do some things outside the tower and then John brings the towers power out, lighting up the windows to spell out "COME ON IN CHUCK". Then you , demons, samurai and yakuza storm the tower and face lilith. Then you fight lilith and John distracts her by talking and then David Camerons Deus Ex Machina comes down and imprisions her

Say what you will about the game, but the story certainly has some great moments.. Surrounded by the shity Aegis system.

Also if they don't keep the call back to the tutorial I will be angry.

drat, I wish there were more time before the relaunch.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kegslayer posted:

The new hub in Agartha feels a bit weird since I thought the lore talks about how non bees/special people can't enter because they get stun to death by literal bees but I guess it's better than just people standing around on a slope.

I thought that normal people would just explode by being overloaded with the Agartha Force if they entered. But it's been a long time, so I could be imagining anything. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

Well guess I'm making a Zoe then. Probably wouldn't get Kian's face tattoos right anyway.

Kingsmouth and the rest of the island were my favorite zones in the original game with perhaps the exception of the Orochi Tower itself. Loved that place.

Kingsmouth has some fantastic Illuminati historical stuff, and they did a great job of making it look like a coastal New England town. The fences are just right.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

Holy poo poo. I just realized I don't even remember where I got my mining helmet in TSW.

The mines on Soloman Island or some place in the Egypt city maybe?

Well I suppose that apart from a couple missions it's not going to be a big deal. Definitely a big deal in those Roman ruins beneath London though.

I think it's from the awesome train mission. I want to say it came between the "guy in New England vanishes" issue and the "James Bond in Transylvania" issue.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Empress Theonora posted:

Do faces look less awful than they used to?

I imagined my guy as a near-homeless old, bald dude, so I was never bothered by that kind of thing. :smuggo:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
:toot: I made it into the beta! :woop:

Here's hoping it doesn't actually take three hours for all this stuff to download.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lawlicaust posted:

The minimal download is pretty quick.

I have to go out and run errands in a little bit, so keeping myself from playing right away is a plus. :)

Also, now I get to spend some quality time freaking out over which weapons I'm going to use. I was mostly AR/Elemental before, but I'm wondering about other ideas I had, like "could I go Elemental/Blood and just be a magician?" (Yes, I know you can technically use any two weapons, but some of them just don't work well for how you might be playing, et cetera, et cetera.)

Is there an equivalent of the "decks" they used to have, where you had some examples of what to do (and also I think you got an outfit for getting all the appropriate skills)?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lawlicaust posted:

Some people on the beta forums did the math for time required to max weapons in SWL. 160 AP not counting capstones. 30k per AP. At a rate of 8 Carpathian Fangs missions that reward around 8k each, it will take 7 months per weapon to max each new weapons actives. Passives take a little longer.

Buying that 160 AP from the cash shop would be around 5500 Aurum which would cost 300 MoF each at the maximum exchange rate. So about 1.5m marks. Which is roughly 100 days. So it currency takes less time to grind out cash shop currently to buy AP than to get it from quests.

I'm hoping they realize this and just change a few numbers that make everything less miserable. :pray:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm just really bummed out about being locked in to a weapon right off the bat. Now I'm paralyzed with indecision.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lawlicaust posted:

Do you have an old tsw account? If so you get all of them (but not the AP/SP to freely swap).

Not only do I have an old TSW account, I was one of the geniuses who bought a lifetime subscription. :downs:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I have finally retrieved enough parts from the moving boxes that my gaming computer is back from the dead. Now somebody tell me which class to choose. :qq:

Edit: okay, Magus it is.

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 29, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Variable Haircut posted:

I went Ninja, because swords = spin to win.

I think I had to switch to swords for a while at the start of Tokyo back in the first game, because I was just getting my rear end handed to me with my AR/elemental hackwork. It really did feel like "easy mode".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sjonkel posted:

I'm having some problems deciding what weapons to go for. I only have 1 character slot, so it's a little tedious to remake a character to try them all.

The last class I tried was Trickster, and I soft of like chaos, except that so far I only have short range abilities, but I want to play a ranged character. I also want to be able to heal, but pistol seems pretty limited here. Right now I'm thinking of trying Elemental with some healing offhand, but I don't know if elemental is ranged or not. Would this be viable?

Elemental is ranged -- you throw fireballs and lightning bolts, mostly.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kokoro Wish posted:

Just re-ate a bee.

Well, this seems like a vast improvement to me. Runs well on my lovely system where-as the old game chugged like hell. An actual tutorial now and the systems are far more intuitive. Combat is even fun.

I could use more explanation, like what are these hexagonal symbols that sometimes appear over my head? Seems like it might be a level-up thing, but what does it mean? It's not AP/SP -- those have different icons.

And the reticle system is frustrating, but I just might be used to it yet. Hell, I'm only level 4 so far.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tallgeese posted:

The hexagon...

If gold, you levelled up.

If red and containing a weapon symbol, you levelled up the expertise for that weapon and got a bonus.

:tipshat:

You know what I really miss? Manuals. Printed documentation. :corsair:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Deputy Andy: you can stop telling me about the kittens. Please.

Also, how do I get invited into the guild? I'm "Prefect".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Thanks for the guild invite. :tipshat:

Is there any recommended strategy for the third part of "scrapyard defence"? It's kicking my rear end, and it really doesn't seem like the barricades should be as badly damaged as they always are. :saddowns:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Have you progression-minded folks done all the quests in all the zones, or did you just zoom to the top of the level charts? (I'm just starting Blue Mountain, and I'm level 30; can't tell if that's high or not.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Whoa, the voice of Sarge (military guy you meet at the start of Blue Mountain) is M1-4X from SWTOR. :neckbeard:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

Hahahahaha "big deal" meaning the color of your cool wings.

Mine are black like the night.

I know I made at least one wrong choice by accident in TSW. Are these all documented anywhere? :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

Atenists are kindergarten art though.

I really love my "desert casual dress" shirt, but it's got a great big Atenist symbol on the front, which I don't care for. :saddowns:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Drinkfist posted:

Because I like not getting stung when walking around Agartha and not having the loving nanomachines inside me melt me for going rogue/being infected. Oh yeah and not having tentacles blast out of my orifices while muttering absolute madness and hanging around in black pools of poo poo.

:staredog:

I really should have hung around for the Orochi tower chapter.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

OWLS! posted:

Also playing leech AR healer in this was so drat fun.

Did a bit of this, and can agree. :thumbsup:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Dumb question time: what is "expertise rank" in the various weapons about? Does that mean that I can buy all the skills for a new weapon but I'll still be terrible at it because it wasn't what I used all the time before?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Amante posted:

Pretty sure he got decapitated by a magic sword.

That never sticks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I noticed one or two pieces of lore in the tutorial subway (were those always there?) and that got me thinking, does this game have missable lore?

You will visit that subway again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tallgeese posted:

There are no such lores.

There are some lores that I may never wind up getting (there's one in "In the Dusty Dark" that I would have to be very dedicated to try for), but I think they're all technically gettable, with none being in the non-repeatable story missions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dmboogie posted:

Unrelated, but is there any particular "best" way to get anima shares? I'm at the point where I'm actually running out. Should I only be fusing with poo poo that gives the 2.5x bonus?

I have no idea how cost-effective it is, but you can sell items to vendors for anima shards. Usually about 250 per thing you sell.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Richard M Nixon posted:

Every once in a while you'll find people selling stacks of agarthan caches super cheap. I picked up a few that were 100 or so MOF for a stack of 60+.

I think I have fifty or sixty of those in my bank. Now that I'm level 50, I should probably get around to opening them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kessel posted:

Once you're done with an area take the time to run around in anima form and see what's up. There are appropriate... things in most of the setpiece areas you'd expect things to be.

The covered bridge in Kingsmouth is spooky.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Meallan posted:

So, for people really confused about the story, or who want to know more about the lore, apparently the villains wiki has some of the most detailed summaries of the story of SWL.

See here: Secret world villains . The one about the dreamers, in particular, is good to read about the whole thing.

Looks pretty excellent so far. Thanks for the tip. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

I would read the poo poo out of a tsw wiki with all the lore, mission turn in text, and the extra stuff nobody asks npcs because I can read faster then they talk, also because you have to do it multiple times to exhaust everything they have to say.

CHESTON get on it brah

I have the attention-deficit disorder, so I want to read all the lore until I get into the game, when I feel compelled to do missions instead. I wish there were some way to read it all when I'm not playing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lawlicaust posted:

• Glyphs can also be leveled. Never combine glyphs with the glyph on an item to upgrade them, you get a huge xp penalty. Only combine glyphs not on an item. Later you can delete the glyph on the item and put the new one on.

If I understand this right, I should be upgrading/combining glyphs until they're max-level purple and only then attaching them to weapons/talismans. Is that accurate?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Allatum posted:

Just don't do this

Pictured: A whale found in the wilds of Agartha. Obscured behind he box are two more mythic talismans with epic/mythic signets and glyphs. Also the anima touched weapons. All possibly boosted to 3 pips by aurum.

Wait, you can use aurum to give an item more pips?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Allatum posted:

Just don't do this

Pictured: A whale found in the wilds of Agartha. Obscured behind he box are two more mythic talismans with epic/mythic signets and glyphs. Also the anima touched weapons. All possibly boosted to 3 pips by aurum.

I think I have that assault rifle. (I got it out of a cache, honest.)

You know what would be nice, actually? If we could find whales that represent the "ideal" gear settings so I can take a picture and have something to aim for. I would love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kokoro Wish posted:

450 a pop at level 50 I hear. Probably just going to have to boost my sprint and use Aurum to buy a scooter.

Anima leap is basically 50 shards plus 50 x the number of the zone you're in. So 100 in the first Kingsmouth zone, going up to 450 in Carpathian Fangs.