Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
It had some good scenes surrounded by a lot of weirdly paced padding, and due to budget or design constraints it never quite gets as weird or as horrifying as you might hope. So I guess in a way it was at least faithful to The Secret World in those regards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Have they even finished putting in the remaining content from before the relaunch? Aux weapons, post-release missions, etc? I played the game at release but stopped before most of the content packs, and when I got back in for Legends I was disappointed to see a bunch of stuff was apparently missing but assumed it was coming eventually.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I barely remember that mission yet still have this visceral memory of it being awful and broken to the point where you had to do it in a very specific way or the whole thing broke; something to do with crafting an item I think? It's been a while since I've played, but the overall impression I have of the game's missions are just how uneven they are. Especially in the content added after release, for every Tyler Freeborn there's...well, that time travel thing. You get The Ankh and Polaris, but you also get that one Hell dungeon just to drag you back down again. Even the investigation missions can be like that, I remember most being diabolical but still possible to puzzle out but there were a few that felt like the designers came up with the solution first and then worked backwards so you had to make some extremely wild leaps of logic to even know how you're supposed to approach the puzzle, let alone solve it.

Still looking forward to replaying it soon, if it isn't finally shut down by the time I get around to it. I love the atmosphere, setting and (the majority of) the storytelling.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
been playing this again and still love the drat game. its only been a few years since i did a full story playthrough, and still i ended up starting from the beginning to do it again. told myself "well, i at least don't need to sit and watch every cutscene and listen to every line of npc flavor dialogue, right?" and drat if that isn't exactly what i'm doing anyway.

sure wish it were even remotely possible to do the dungeons while levelling though. managed to get groups for polaris and the first hell dungeon after something like a three hour wait in the queue, and nothing since then. "story mode" should really just be a solo affair at this point in the dead game's cycle.