Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
How do I interact with the first NPC (literally the first NPC in the game, the one you need to get a quest from when you wake up)?

I have pressed every button on the keyboard, but nothing interacts with her. I do not have a controller, do I need one?

Edit: No idea WTF was wrong. I deleted and remade the character and it worked fine.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

shirunei posted:

As someone who never played the original if I wanted to run through the story cheaply and without much bother would the thread recommend TSW or Legends?

Legends. It's free to play. And, in spite of a lot of the negativity in this thread, it's actually pretty great for the story.

Like ESO, though, you should not play it as an MMO. If you stampede to level 50, or plan to level via grinding dungeons, you're going to be upset. There's not much endgame right now, given how strange the dungeon loot seems to be.

If you play it as a neat indie-ish story game, it's very fun.

I'm amazed at the number of versatile assets they have in the game. It's been a long time since I've played a PC-only release, I guess, and it REALLY shows how much more immersive they can be. I'm only in the first area, Kingsmouth, but each different storefront has its own unique branding and lettering style - you know, just like a real town would actually have. When you look around at things, you notice all the handpainted detail that went into it. That's part of the game - seeing numbers on a wall and using them later, or noting a strange symbol carved into the wood of the fence. I think they made a very smart choice to not let me zoom my camera around; the graphics are definitely dated but the whole customized look to it definitely works for them. The art department did very well with a limited budget. It's consistent, it's clean, and it's actually well done.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

So I made an elemental + blade lady but I'm not loving it. Blade seems like it's boring / weak, and I need to spend a ton of hotbar slots on it. What would pair well with elemental, or should I restart? I spent most of my points in elemental. Only level 17.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Their monetization is BAD. Like, hella bad.

I'm not above dropping $50 for some convenience or cosmetics. But they want $2 / key to open those stupid purple lootboxes? And there's a less than 4% chance I'll get a weapon - maybe a 2% chance to get a purple? So, they want me to spend $50 to get a purple weapon... which might not even be for my class.

Not to mention I've run somewhere around 100 dungeons this past week (I likes em) and have NEVER seen anything but distillate. Ever. Not a single weapon in 100 runs. I skip all chests but the final boss weapon chest to make my daily keys last longer; hence the high amount of runs. 0 weapons.

And unlocking a new weapon isn't actually $5... you have to unlock both passives and actives as separate unlocks. Enjoy spending $12 on your first new weapon. It's hundreds to unlock all of them. Hundreds of dollars.

And $10 for a character slot?

Like geez, guys, I want to spend money but you have to meet me halfway on this poo poo

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

They're actually addressing several of your concerns tomorrow. Dungeons will now have a ~50% droprate for items instead of distillates (though I prefer distillates) and the first run of the day guarantees an extraordinary quality item. You'll also get xp for each dungeon run so you can earn AP/SP while farming. Weapons also unlock both the AP and SP pages at once for the cost of a single page.

Char slots - can't really help out on. I don't really get alts in this game except as mules. Convert the caches into anima shards, since that apparently becomes a big deal once you're in purples. They don't need everyone to buy keys, since enough people are gladly dumping $$$ into the game. I've already spent $20 just to open caches. Only 2 weapons (both blue and 2-pip) so my choices are a little regrettable.

It's cheaper to unlock a character slot (1,000 funbux) than it is to unlock four new weapon pages. Plus, I wanted to try a different faction. Now that I know it doesn't matter a whole ton, yeah, it was a wasted purchase.

Good tip on the caches, though, thank you. I'm nowhere near purples (I think I'm level 27?) but I'll just sell them.

Of course, I can't play without crashing now for some insane reason, so I'm just going to shelve it till patch.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm playing pretty casually right now. Looking at my level 20 guy, the idea of having twice the AP/SP to play with to get to this point is tempting enough that I'll probably do it.

Yeah, I'm going to re-roll. I wasn't loving my abilities anyway. And I freaking love Kingsmouth / Savage Coast. That amusement park is legit creepy.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

thanks!

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 12, 2017

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

I'm above 160 tank or dps now. Anyone else here interested in lairs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

So I've been doing a lot of randos because there's never anyone in the cabal on who wants to do elites. Most of the time, they go okay - we wipe here and there, but overall it's fine.

(I've met two honest-to-Frith Pay2Win tanks while PUGging, by the way... full mid-leveled orange gear with matching glyphs and sigils. Both were terrible players. I know it's a cliche but drat. They stood in the bad - which they could survive, kind of, given their twenty-thousand hit points.)

But one thing I've noticed is the holy mother of poo poo level of toxicity in some of the PUGs. Most often, it's the healer. Sometimes the DPS. Once or twice, the tank. But god drat, people are vile. Moreso than I remember in other MMOs. Is this just bad luck of the draw (over ~100 PUGs) or is there a reason for it?

One of the theories I came up with is that since a single mistake by anyone == group wipe, people are way more tetchy in general.

Anyone else notice this?

Also is there another cabal somewhere that has more players?

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 23, 2017