Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

No worries, this has prepared you for boss fights in South Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

It's the zone's lair. It's not meant to be done solo.

e: When you enter a lair's boundary, you should hear a scream-roar, see the screen shake, and see black veins of the filth start to cloud the edges of the screen. The lair mission icons are also filth-edged. Lair mission text has "Nightmare" in red letters right at the top. How many warning signs do you need?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 20, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmmkay, thanks for the heads-up... I assume there's nothing I can do to make the combat less annoying unless I want to go back and grind missions for gear so I can upgrade all of my stuff to purple? Because everything is technically doable, but I'm finding that most of the oni and filth zombies take freaking forever to whittle down.

Yeah, gear upgrades are mainly how you advance your character post-50; the cumulative stat bonuses from the passive skill trees and capstones are smaller than what you'll get from gear (though not insignificant). Don't do South Africa without at least purple gear, because every loving boss is a giant sack of hp.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Very little, unless you're planning to do higher-difficulty dungeons. Don't do that. Also, the only talismans that need to be 3-dot are the ones you're actually going to equip. You can sacrifice gear with any number of dots as fodder for empowerment and infusion.

Dots don't even matter all that much for weapons, the only thing it does is determine the magnitude of the suffix. However, some of the rare weapons can change the mechanics of how the weapon works, so some builds are based around a particular rare weapon.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Captainsalami posted:

This game still suffering under a lovely remake?

Sorry about your Stockholm syndrome.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

In the old version of the game, you only had to clear three out of the twenty-four company floors before you could reach the Orochi floors. You picked the company for the alpha floor and the beta and omega floors were random. The new way is great for achievement hunting, but sucks if you just want to play through the story. On the other hand, the AEGIS system only applies in a few places in Tokyo, instead of everywhere.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You can convert the auction house currency into cash shop currency and vice-versa. If you're inclined to drop money on the game, the best QoL improvement you can buy is the final tier(s) of the sprint upgrades.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Plastic Pal posted:

Oh snap, Jeffrey Combs voices characters in this game. :swoon:

So far enjoying the game -- the combat isn't fabulous but the quest writing and puzzles (and amazing voice talent) make up for it so far.

I just wish the world was more populated. Why does Funcom destroy everything it touches? :smith:

The low map populations are intentional; having a ton of other players around would detract from the survival horror atmosphere they want. On the plus side, it means there's not much competition for rare spawns if you're doing those achievements.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There were three faction-specific missions in TSW that were offered when you hit certain ranks that have only recently been added into SWL. There are also faction-specific missions that serve as transitions between the storyline regions; those were included in SWL when it was released.

The parking garage is one of the former, the "haunted house" is one of the latter.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Does the 4-pip glyph imbuer work on any pip-number of glyph? If so, looking forward to the crash of the 3-pip glyph market.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Buy this month's premium Easter Bunny Sandworm Mount, only $20.00 USD worth of FunSpice.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

macnbc posted:

Apparently there might be a new ARG for Secret World? That’s been a hot minute.

https://twitter.com/Cyranostory

Neat, but short. Looks like there's at least five more "chapters" pending for it.

Anyone get anything from the "try your luck" button? I didn't.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I guess they really thought DOOM needed another reboot.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, The Park was basically just an endgame neck slot item that we can't even use anymore.

e: vvv - Yup. Got your choice of a dps/tank/heal BiS item. Didn't carry over from TSW to SWL.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 29, 2019

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The agent system becomes a MOBA.

e: Secret World III: MOBA in the Congo

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 23, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Pretty sure the only thing Age of Conan had going for it was kicking people off ledges with a horse, which got removed/nerfed.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The usual observation about this game is that it should have made as a single-player game. I just found out about a game that came out last year, called Control, that seems pretty close. I'm not too far into it yet, but the plot thus far seems to be:

The protagonist swallowed a bee as a child and somehow languished unnoticed until her powers led her into an Illuminati facility hidden in plain sight, whereupon she immediately becomes a Pistol/Chaos user and is tasked with purging the facility of a Filth outbreak. Just with all the serial numbers filed off so the company that made the game doesn't get sued; for example, instead of the Filth, it's the Hiss, and orange is the new black.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Given that the game itself sets a low maximum limit on players in the zone, yes, almost everyone plays SWL as a single-player game. If you're talking about the story, the story is fine.

If you're talking about the controls or the advancement system, those are absolute poo poo compared to what could have been done if the game wasn't a MMO.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If I recall, there was also an expectation that the Lovecraftian horror genre would tap into and retain customers who wouldn't normally play MMOs. Since their two previous MMOs that weren't standard Tolkienesque fantasy had both successfully dethroned WoW, this wasn't considered farfetched at all.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I feel like that's a trap option that would just convince them the agent system is well-received and profitable and should be expanded in lieu of actual content.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

What's the difference between that and the agent system?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Monet. That bastard.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I have no idea what the ratio of players using the steam client to the standalone client is, but it's never been exclusive to steam in either of the game's incarnations.

They still keep Conan and Anarchy on life support, so I'm not seeing an inconsistency in keeping Secret World's braindead corpse around.

Also, I'm really enjoying the post/avatar combo there.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Only thing that will bring me back is new content.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Also, every South Africa boss has way more hp than it needs to, in lieu of being challenging in any way.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Maybe it really has become a vector for the Filth

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

A lot of folks just don't like the look of the deserts or the mazelike aspects of the zones. Personally, I quite like the ancient Egyptian motif, so I enjoy the Egypt areas (in spite of the mazes).

IIRC, the big change from TSW to TSL was to incorporate the Last Train to Cairo content into the main storyline mission and make it so the individual missions of LTtC could be replayed by themselves. So no more having to redo the entire mission chain to get the achievement for not getting knocked on your rear end during the train fights.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The Filth has made it into the game's servers. Obviously, you must infect your computer with a bunch of malware to get the game to work.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If I recall correctly, you should be able to preview all the available skins for the various weapons in the Dressing Room without unlocking them first.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

Does that work for AR? It looks like all the spender AR powers have a chance to load a grenade, which will hurt me if I don't spend a second slot on a grenade power to get rid of it.

AR makes a pretty good secondary because of the grenades. You just have to devote two active slots to it. There's a guide over on SWL's forums with recommendations for actives and passives for almost any primary-secondary weapon pairing: https://forums.funcom.com/t/how-to-build-all-weapons/881

If you're liking the ranged magical attacks, you might pick up Elementalism for your secondary and just wallop the enemy with Mjolnir whenever you've got the energy built up for it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

How high is your corruption from blood magic getting? Are you still ignoring your secondary weapon? Blood magic is sort of complicated to do sustained dps with and Beaumont is a dps check.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

I feel that the Dragon debriefs have fallen off pretty hard in quality as I've gotten into Egypt.

The Dragon is aware of your complaint and is taking steps to increase quality standards for the end user experience.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

So I took it to mean it's a story about the Sentinels and the PC losing.

Pretty sure the person you replied to was talking about the origin of the Sentinels being the sad story.

They're priest dad's actual children, who volunteered to be murdered and have their souls placed in statues in the middle of nowhere forever, in order to keep an ancient Filth incursion contained.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 9, 2021

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If you have a pre-reboot account, you start w/ all the weapons unlocked. Otherwise, you'll only have 2 unlocked based on the "class" you chose in character creation. If that's the case, pick any of the non-healer weapon combos (unless you really don't want to) and go to town. I've had the best luck w/ pistol primary and shotgun secondary.

Use this post - https://forums.funcom.com/t/how-to-build-all-weapons/881 - as a reference for what actives and passives to go for with the weapons you picked.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The crafting in the time travel missions uses the actual crafting system from the first version of the game. You used to create your weapon and armor talismans by arranging loot drops in specific patterns on the crafting grid. The biker and the fortuneteller in the first zone had books with the patterns. You could also make gadgets and health potions.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Unless you're going to use the Blood elite + Fist passive combo to waltz through the game (except for building up AEGIS levels in Tokyo and god help you if the auto-switch mod isn't available anymore), there's not really any reason to play the old version.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 18, 2021

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Tokyo doesn't have the AEGIS system in SWL, you're patting yourself on the back for avoiding a problem that doesn't exist. There's still a mission where the enemies have the shields, but it's sort of a tower defense mission and the towers negate the shields.

Why are you so keen on playing the version where you can't even finish the story arc because you don't have Tokyo?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 19, 2021

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bardeh posted:

There aren't many other players around though - I ran into a few at Agartha and a couple questing in this zone, but the overall impression is that the game isn't exactly bustling with life. Is there any mandatory group content at any point where this could cause a problem?

Besides Agartha, there's a fairly low cap on the number of players who can be in the same instance of a zone at one time. There's no required group content at all to get through the story and many of the main mission instances can only be done solo. The dungeons do flesh out the lore of the game, but aren't required; they can generally be done solo in story mode if you're sufficiently over-powered.

This game really should have been released as a single-player game instead of a MMO.

Bardeh posted:

the game seems decently written

Stop playing once you complete Tokyo, if you want to retain this impression. It's the end of the first story arc. After the game went into maintenance mode, they released the start of the second arc and it is... not good.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

"Less customizable" doesn't mean much, though. The majority of deck options in old TSW were just different flavors of hot garbage.

It just occurred to me that both versions have about the same number of actives and gameplay-changing passives (as opposed the ones that just give stat increases) for each weapon. Just TSW also had the trinity role trees and the aux weapons.

e: wait, now I'm thinking I'm misremembering. In TSW, each weapon had a basic line and two advanced lines and each line had 5 actives and 5 passives, right?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

FrostyPox posted:

"Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

You know that's also the title of a famous poem from the late 1700s, right?