Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess that the item that gives you info about different terrains is completely unusable when you're in a battle. Am I right in assuming that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

I actually like the idea that using Magnitude inside a cave collapses it on top of you
It's a good concept, but in practice it's annoying to essentially have a move barred off if you're in a specific area. And while finding Pokemon only in certain weather makes sense thematically, it hasn't been in a real Pokemon game for a reason.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I learn to appreciate Pokemon Quartz more with every cringeworthy development that I see in Uranium and Reborn. Yeah, the new Pokemon are dumb, look terrible, and have no effort put into the designs, but at least it was good for some laughs based on its stupidity. There's no mirth to be had in these two hacks, only edge so sharp that a slight graze will make you start to bleed. And even then, I'd take Nuclear over this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raisamike3 posted:

I only want to know one thing. Does the X in TMX stand for Extreme cause if it does then this game can :fuckoff: right now
I want to believe it's a shoutout to DMX.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I kinda like the gyms concept, but I do appreciate Game Freak going off the beaten path with Sun/Moon. Removing HMs is unabashedly good, they've always been an albatross on gameplay.

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of good hacks, this discussion has been made, but, theoretically, what would be a good hack for you?
My ideal hack would have:
  • A plot that doesn't make me cringe
  • Character dialog that doesn't make me cringe
  • New gameplay ideas that it doesn't lean too far into unless they're really interesting
  • Mostly existing Pokemon with a smattering of new ones and only as many new Mega Evolutions as needed to have a good amount of them
  • No "expert ROM hack" crap
Apparently, I'm asking for too much, as the first two points and the last one are prevalent in all ROM hacks, not just Pokemon ones.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I still can't get over the so-mature swearing in the dialogue. It's so unlike anything pokemon ever does.
Taken by itself, I'm all for the occasional swear. I'm no prude. But in Uranium and Reborn, that comes as part of a package that also includes "people dying as a plot point at the beginning for no apparent reason," "obnoxious characters," and "all-too-gritty environments."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"This Mega Evolved PULSE Tangrowth isn't unbalanced at all! See, its Attack and Special Attack stats have been reduced (to a stat level that's still equal to or greater than every single one of the Pokemon that you have up to this point)!" -the creators of Pokemon Reborn, who wouldn't know what good game design was if it slapped all of them in the face

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

They probably thought they were being kind and merciful by giving it Mega Drain and Vine Whip instead of any of the nastier grass moves.
That and also the "debuffs" to Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. Their idea of balance is pretty warped.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Either we're not going to find out about why ZEL is three personalities in one, or it's going to be explained to us in very full and excruciating detail. No middle ground.

As bad as Uranium is, its plot, characters, dialog, and mechanics don't hold a candle to what I've seen in Reborn. And we're only one gym in. gently caress me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey, I was right about the "no middle ground" guess.

People still RP in chatrooms? I used to do that a lot, but that was around 1998-2000. No wonder why the writing and characterization's so terrible.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Not to mention that there are plenty of Pokemon that aren't so cute and cuddly. Red and Blue came out when I was 11 and my first favorite was Gyarados. Lots of boys at that age love their Godzilla-like city destroying monsters and I was no exception. There's also Banette (animated out of vengeance towards the child that abandoned it) and Drifloon (carries kids that hang onto it to the Pokemon equivalent of Hell). The difference is that the writing for those games illustrates those Pokemon facts in a way that's not in-your-face about it. I forgot the name of the Pokemon in Uranium that died in its Pokeball and is chained to it, but its lack of subtlety caused TieTuesday to call it "Banksy" in his LP of it.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Hell, even Blue/Gary has something of a character arc, though his is over 3 games instead of just in one. In RBY, he's a child prodigy who becomes Champion in a blink of an eye, only to get wrecked by Red before his grandfather even comes to congratulate him. In GSC, he's the new Viridian Gym Leader, but seems pretty disinterested in it and just seems bummed out in general. Then, at some point, he and Red essentially become BFFs and travel the world. He finally seems to realize that winning isn't everything and also that he was being a massive jerk to everyone.
Aw, that warms my heart a little. :3: In GSC, he strikes me as the Pokemon Trainer equivalent of a middle-aged man constantly pining for the days when he was a high school football star, but has slid into the average life.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Onmi posted:

Then again, Blue also never 'hated' you. He was clearly your rival and competing with you, but his cruel interactions with you were limited to "Telling his sister not to give you a useless map that she'll give you anyway." and "Saying Smell ya later"
Yeah, Blue's just a jerk, but he's not a bad person. He mellowed with age.

ungulateman posted:

Bug also beats Dark because of Kamen Rider.
Is that actually the rationale behind Bug > Dark? I know that there's a reason for every type strength and weakness, and some are less obvious than others. That's awesome if that's the case.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The developers of Reborn sure are proud of their pain-in-the-rear end "chase the Pokemon" events. Is that Litleo available if you come back with properly-leveled Pokemon, or is it only available at this point in the game?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I know Pokemon LP threads have been notorious for derails, but I found the FFXII/Wildstar train of conversation fascinating. I didn't know that there were developers that hate players that much.

What's the absolute worst starter final evolution? It's gotta be hard to top Meganium. Tank stats for HP and Spec. Def. and Grass types don't mix.

Zuzie posted:

I feel like the starters of each generation is slowly getting away from "kaiju"-like to more like taking design cues from Dungeons and Dragons character classes. This is especially noticeable with the Gen VI and VII starters: Chesnaught and Incineroar are bulky fighters (one is a Knight, the other a Wrestler), Delphox and Primarina are waif-like mages (Delphox is a witch and Primarina is a songstress) and Greninja and Decidueye are thieves (a ninja and archer respectively).
That's cool as hell. I've been out of the loop since Gen IV but I know that Gen VI was the first one in a while that didn't have a Fire starter that ended up having a Fighting subtype.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 6, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

senrath posted:

There are plenty of them, but they typically show up on smaller projects and fan works rather than AAA games.
I should have specified "big developers" instead of just leaving it open-ended. Contempt for the player tends to not come to the surface when you're working with a big group of people, at least not in the "this boss has only one way to beat it and gently caress you if you don't adhere to my vision" sense.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The detective's romance needs to come from whoo-res.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Reborn is already quite a bit worse than Uranium in every way, so by the time this is finished and I can appreciate the full gravity of how awful this is, I'll probably be hungry for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least Uranium waits a little bit to give the player the finger and doesn't have dialog anywhere near as cringeworthy. Reborn pulls no punches in the "gently caress you, player" department, both for gameplay and NPC dialog.

Robindaybird posted:

I'm going to have to agree, it sounds like Tie's just really bad, because while I remember some fights being rough as I never had the cards, but yeah - the only way the game would seem completely unfair is if he never read the manual or go through the tutorial, because I admit if you just go in the game blind and expect it to play like a normal YGO game, it will be rough.

Like compare to some of the other YGO games, it's really not that unfair.
This is true, especially the comparison to bullshit factories like Forbidden Memories. Still, a game shouldn't require advance knowledge of where to go when you first pick it up to play it. Saying "Kaiba's path is easier" and "go this direction after beating Weevil" covers up bad game design.

Tie's stray path showed off that Bandit Keith wears a Union Jack bandanna in Duelists of the Roses instead of an American flag one, though. I can't begrudge him for that decision.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 12, 2017

• Locked thread