Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I feel outclassed.

Dark hair girl named Enoby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I've looked at this game's shinies. Since they redid all of them there's naturally some that do great and some that blow.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

To add, the store right before Matador has a force-nulling magatama and at level 18, you can fuse Megami Uzume who nulls force and has Media to vastly increase your action economy. If you're having trouble fighting him you can grind your way into an easier win.

For the most part, Reborn doesn't give you adequate tools to handle Julia's tactics. It's like Uranium, where you have one Chesto Berry and two steel-types to cope with Yawn+Scratch, except if you didn't have anything that resisted Normal. And no access to Mankey either.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr Pepper posted:

It's not really the case in Final Fantasy games. Most bosses have some vulnerability to status effects that is very useful.

The biggest problem is that most of them are easy enough that you don't need to.

Also usually the hit rates are atrocious.

Take for example Garland in FF9. He's open to Silence which will prevent Flare and Stop. Dagger at level 40 with 40 magic has a ~35% chance of hitting him with Silence. With the same stats a 99-aquamarine Leviathan with a water boost will deal over 6,000 with the short animation and probably hit the damage cap with the long one.

Status vulnerability is almost seemingly random, too. Silver Dragon is open to sleep, but Garland and Kuja are not. Kuja is immune to silence entirely. Taharka is vulnerable to Heat when nearly no other boss is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Avalerion posted:

I see your point though I think there's enough pokemon now where you could get around that... for example rather than just 6 onyx the rock guy also has Archeops and Magcargo.

That's still 6 Pokemon weak to water, 5 weak to fighting and one that doesn't resist it, 5 Pokemon weak to steel and Magcargo, 5 Pokemon weak to ground and one that's manhandled by rock, and I hope you're getting the point that after a point you're adding more time consumed without really making it more difficult.

Whitney has two Pokemon.

Throwing in a Jigglypuff, Ratatta, Teddiursa, and a Furret wouldn't make it harder, because none of those can offer the same difficulty as Miltank. Throw in a Girafarig, and you've made it worse because no Dark Pokemon are available at that point, the only Steel-type is Forretress at level 31, and raising a bug isn't an assured answer when two of the five available bugs are half-poison and bug moves still suck.

Julia is the worst of both worlds. Without specifically picking Mudkip of the 18 available starters and leveling it so that it is higher than Julia's highest-level Pokemon, you have no ground-types. Though she has 6 things, four of them are about the same challenge and mostly consume more PP, one is Blitzle with its sudden fire move, and her Electrode. Why do we have to go through 5 things to get to the Electrode? Why am I allowed no hard answers to this Electrode?

This isn't even getting into all the dumb fiddly bits to the terrain, which is a different basket of eggs.

• Locked thread