Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Waffleman_ posted:

I have a feeling that the rainbow on the Oshawott line is because these people still hate Oshawott for some reason and are making a tasteless joke about it being gay.

You think a game that lets you be gender neutral that features a long scene in a later episode where one high ranking character talks all about pronouns in a 100% serious manner is going to use "LOLGAY" as an insult?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, I mean, I didn't know about that scene because I've never seen this game before, I was just judging by the attitudes present in the first update.

Yes, and you assumed that was done in a mocking way, not a 100% legitimate way. I mentioned this in the Uranium thread, the Clovers of the world are racist, and garbage, but they're also clear parody hacks, to them, everything is a joke. Reborn is 100% serious it is not an attempt at parody or teasing. I'm not going to drop anymore spoilers, and I'm not sure whether the scene I'm thinking about is Reborn or Rejuvination, or some other fangame.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bydoless posted:

I don't know about you, but I think that's a spoiler. Either contest me or tag/hide it. I'm going to go easy this time since we're doing voting, but remember:

No contest, a huge mistake on my part.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

onmi very much needs us to know the hack with a cute pink female-only pokemon that turns into an ugly blob called Menopaws, three separate gay joke pokemon, and a literal ku klax klan pokemon, is actually really badass because they were totally doing it 'ironically', while this hack, which is insanely stupid but at least not actively hateful, is the worst thing ever

Actually I hate Clover and find it unfunny garbage.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Because Uranium doesn't allow you to be gender-neutral and then have a gay Gym Leader whose entire schtick is "LOL MAN WEARING A SKIRT".

I got nothing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ace of Aces posted:

IIRC it used to be "any pokemon" and more recently just became Pokemon you get in trades to stop you from doing that, since once upon a time I overlevelled my starter and it began disobeying me back in Blue, although RBY is infamously buggy.

It's always just been traded pokemon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Haifisch posted:

To be fair, the only Ghost move that used the normal damage formula was Lick. Even if the type chart worked right, it wouldn't be hard to find a move with more effective power than a SE Lick.

And Ghost was a Physical type, even though the only ghost line was all Special attackers.

Gen I was really more put together by what sounded cool than by what made for good game balance.

Never stops being funny thought

>Ghost was made 2× against Psychic instead of 0×

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

One thing I noticed is that, out of the 37 wild Pokemon available this early on, they're almost all extremely weak Pokemon lines rather than stuff you actually want to use (Noibat at least evolves into the fastest dragon type in the game, and Blitzle is usable). And deliberately going out of the way to make it impossible for you to have a ground type unless you traded one in from online or picked Mudkip and evolved it until after you've beaten the first (electric-type) gym is nothing but absurdity.

Also, slamming right into a full team of 6 on the first gym leader is beyond rude, even ignoring the terrain bullshit at work. Pokemon games never have more than 5 Pokemon on a gym leader (until post-game rematches); even the Elite Four tops out at 5 until post-game rematches. Having a major trainer with 6 Pokemon is usually reserved only for the Champion in modern Pokemon games.

If this was based off of Gen 7 you just know that Wingull wouldn't be here (since Pelipper gets Drizzle as a possible ability in SM).

EDIT:
Ok, I actually laughed at seeing shiny Arbok having a nuclear symbol on the chest (since Uranium has a literal Nuclear Arbok and couldn't even get that part right).

EDIT 2:
...why are there 16 gym badges rather than 8? Wouldn't that just make the game drag on for an eternity (especially since judging from the level restrictions for each badge that the final fights are going to end up hitting the level cap)?

Oh I can't wait for the future, but yeah, one part of Rebirth's "Difficulty" is making GBS threads on what Pokemon you can have to make sure they're all pathetically weak. Because that's 'difficult'. There's so much that can be talked about but we have to let the thread reach that point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Note: One can still carry over a Magikarp from an old save file, so many have, because seriously, gently caress this bullshit

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Jesus that misty terrain write-up, it just kept going, and going, and going, and going, and going...

Also, invisible Revives with no tells? gently caress you game. You either give people the itemfinder or its equivalent early in the game so they can find random hidden stuff or you make hidden item locations intuitive or you do both and have both. Putting a completely unmotivated Revive in the middle of nowhere speaks to a misunderstanding on the part of Reborn about a fundamental aspect of gameplay design. Put simply, on a certain level you actually want your players to have things and be successful and win. Yeah, sure, if you're making a game you can put in a hidden item that your players can't ever find, but that's easy and stupid. The trick is to put in a hidden item that your players CAN find, that's good design.

Remember how FF6 had Elixers in almost every clock? Imagine that but they're just randomly around the place with no tell at all. That's this design. In fact if all the Revives were in say... book shelves, then that might be helpful.

The Golux posted:

...I approve of the scraggy gang.

I mean you can approve of a Scraggy gang and still disapprove of the game as a whole.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

I have so many questions.

Why the hell do we need to already up the ante like this? A regular Tangrowth at this point would still be a pretty tough fight if you hadn't picked a fire starter (because of how lovely your team selection is right now), why make it even stronger?

Why is it called PULSE rather than something like "Mechanized", given the massive machine the Tangrowth is plugged into in the overworld map? What does PULSE even mean, assuming that isn't a story spoiler?

Why is it so completely lazy in design and spriting? Uranium's mega evolutions may have missed the mark and pretty much all looked terrible, but they at least had actual effort and thought put into the designs. This doesn't even have that going for it.

PULSE is a story spoiler, we will encounter more PULSE pokemon and inevitably they will contain no themeing and do nothing to actually make that Pokemon better.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think for my money, Pokemon Gaia is probably the best created Fangame I've played. In fact, you can tell it's one of the best because one bit of feedback I heard from it was

"This just looks like a Pokemon game you're not doing anything special!"

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326118

It isn't finished but it plays fine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Serperoth posted:

That seems like pretty high praise honestly. FRLG, with Physical/Special split, more cool dudes to find? Sounds cool to me.

Speaking of good hacks, this discussion has been made, but, theoretically, what would be a good hack for you?
Mine would be pretty close to an actual game, with QoL improvements (like the EV training freebies in Uranium), maybe a few well-done "custom" Pokemon (ideally just a few forme changes and/or maybe one or two new ones), and if a new mechanic/type is in, to have it reined in and moderate rather than it being a MAJOR part of the game.
Instead of Uranium's Nuclear-type, maybe having one two-part evo line for example, representing nuclear fallout/waste (a la Koffing/Weezing, Grimer/Muk, Trubbish/Garbodor), and have its ability as a gimmick

It was high praise to me despite the person meaning it as an insult. Let me use an example of the game I played before Gaia, which was Glazed.

Glazed has, again, ideas which sound fine on paper and are just bloody awful on actual playthrough. Your primary rival throughout the games first region (It has 3 regions, only the first one holds up at all) And it's a Pikachu in a scarf who claims you've run it out of its home (This is a bit weird, but having a Pokemon serve as your rival is an interesting concept.) the villains are primarily an evil Silph co. with an understandable motive (We make TMs, we want Mew, because Mew can learn every attack, and that means we could make an infinite amount of TMs and thus make all of the money) The rivals are... actually all quite awful because they're road blocks, not characters. And for the first few gyms the Gym Leaders are characters, not speedbumps and none of them are really cringe. It even has an EV (and an Eevee) Gym in the final town for raising your pokemon at the 8th Gym.

So then what goes wrong? loving everything. The game goes off the rails once its initial region ends, not that it didn't have problems, they were just minor for the time. By the time we get to Johto we have a new villain organization that's based on the Church of Arceus (This is stupid because they treat Arceus as an Abrahamic God, and of course Giratina is the Devil.) We have the evil team become Neo Evil Team lead by the former bosses wife and does poo poo like burning down the Ilex Forest, then she gets a crush on the Aleph religion leader (It's really weird). Oh and apparently capturing legendary pokemons fucks up nature and everyone has master balls.

Do note that at this point you can capture several legendaries, including Giratina, and in the third region (Which is based off the Second Pokemon Movie, why the gently caress is that movie so popular?!) everyones an rear end in a top hat, and there's an island of those Church dudes, and none of them will react to your Giratina.

It's not like the Pokemon Hack that features Master Chief as a character. But it goes straight into the toilet. Less, as it turns out, is more.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

My ideal Pokemon fan game is a Pokemon Game. That's not the sarcastic smug poo poo it sounds like. I mean when I'm playing it, I don't want it to stand out to me going "This is a fans project." I should never have to go "Well this is just someones fan thing on the internet so X is excusable." It should feel like a Pokemon game, which means not giving the protagonist dialog, or making them feel like an unnecessary addition to the story (So many Fan Games might as well be having the plot happen while you stare at it. My favorite moment was beating the villain trying to capture a legendary, and them turning around, lobbing a master ball and capturing it anyway completely invalidating the fight.)

The Pokemon should be placed reasonably and If say... Pawniard or Mienfoo are placed early in the game, their evolution levels are adjusted to not spend the entire game just to evolve. I want the Gym Leaders to be more than the latest speed bump gate (The Trial Captains actually being people was so good in SuMo) I want the rival to have an arc and, again, not just being your latest speed bump. And if you wanna do interesting things, do it? Want to let you name the characters mother and have the Elite 4 being; The little fisher boy who helped you out on time on the sea's, The apparently homeless woman who gives sage advice at each city, one of the Admin's for the villain team that you never got a chance to fight, and the failed trainer who got their passion for battling reignited by seeing you go through, with your mother as the champion? Sure!

Want to have Victory Road be this gigantic castle with 8 floors for each of the Gym Badges? So long as you have appropriate rest points, go for it. Want to change how the league plays out entirely and replace it with a Tournament like that one Battle Frontier Facility? Sure. Just rig it for the first time through to face rivals and friends, and then let it randomize every subsequent playthrough.

So long as it feels like a loving Pokemon game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I'd just have more trainers (but especially gym leaders and rivals) have full teams of six, and maybe raise levels slightly as it's generaly pretty easy to outlevel the curve without really trying in the main games.

The problem is that having 2 Pokemon weak to your grass attack and having 6 Pokemon weak to your grass attack... that's just feeding you more EXP at the Rock gym. Battles in Pokemon are rarely hard fought until like the post-game or competitive because what makes pokemon battles hard fought really don't function in an expansive RPG outside of basically just a turn based fighting game.

The worst part of Reborn starting with Electric is Electric is the WORST type to start with, it has no easy counters, it's only got one weakness, and it features some very powerful mons. It's idea of difficulty is "Keep the player intentionally low levelled and deny them the use of good pokemon, and stick a field effect in to gently caress with the player. Or like this Tangrowth, I'll talk about it after the update just to let Bydoless talk about how poo poo it is.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

dungeon cousin posted:

Fangames are a good opportunity to do things Gamefreak wouldn't do because of their philosophy or whatever. Why haven't more people tackled the old joining the villain team idea? I've only ever seen one fangame try, it was called Rocket Red I believe, and I think that one gave up after Pallet Town.

Dungeon there are about 20 fan games with that premise. And they're all poo poo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

DP managed to pull it off mostly because the bad guy team was really silly and most of the NPC realized that and gave them poo poo for it. It was a world-saving plot but it never felt quite that serious, a good decision IMO.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere on these forums that the guy who did the translation into English was a goon so maybe that was a factor as well; the Galaxy Grunts and Looker managed to lighten the atmosphere pretty consistently.

Also because most Galactic Grunts don't know what the hell their leader wants to do. And Cyrus even outright admits they're all idiots who're basically in a cult and don't know what the gently caress is going on.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So yeah, welcome to one of the biggest stone walls in the early game. You're underlevelled, it's a fully evolved pokemon that becomes a complete tank and is built to pump itself up and sweep your team, literally the only way it could have been worse would be giving it Synthesis. Also, as you can see, it's Grass/Poison, so what's with all the machine parts? Doesn't matter. Themeing? There's no such thing as a 'Theme' when it comes to designing pokemon, you just slap poo poo on them and that's fine right? See the funny thing is that even Mega's have design in mind, even if it's just "A bigger version of the existing pokemon." God I hate Fakemons of existing Pokemon who don't have any theme or design philosophy behind them.

Raitzeno posted:

So one of the problems we keep seeing and discussing is a lack of compelling or even tolerable characters. I can't help but feel like a lot of these would be much deeper if, rather than just trying to write them like the lovely novelists most of these "devs" clearly want to be, maybe they should play as some of these characters in the PTU tabletop RPG system. Actually playing versions of several of my old characters certainly helped me flesh out their history, thought processes, and motivations.

But that might require them to have friends, so this solution may be beyond them. :/

Actually Rai, these are all their characters from their little Real life RP group.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You know, I almost thought it was a Grass/Steel type and went "Oh so it works because the dungeon before we caught nothing but fighting types. That makes sense it's getting you mons to fight the upcoming mon." But... no. The only pokemon, if we did not start with a fire type, is Numel?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

Either we're not going to find out about why ZEL is three personalities in one, or it's going to be explained to us in very full and excruciating detail. No middle ground.

As bad as Uranium is, its plot, characters, dialog, and mechanics don't hold a candle to what I've seen in Reborn. And we're only one gym in. gently caress me.

I will at least say, we will in fact learn what's up with ZEL.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

Theirs must be some lovely tabletop sessions, then. This kinda makes me feel more sorry for them rather than angry that they can't write for poo poo.

No no it wasn't an actual pen and paper game it was an RP group in the chatroom sense of "I'm going to play a character" and then they handle their fights in a battle simulator. That's also why there's more than 8 Gym Leaders here. Well that and... other reasons we'll get to.

Waffleman_ posted:

Love the villain with DID, that's original and not lovely at all.

Hahahahahahaha You'll wish that was what's going on

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh yes, someone mentioned Dragon Rage as a potential out to Tangrowth? Just guess what Gyarados would have potentially been able to have had they not removed Magikarp from the game in later versions?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

I was gonna say it was something like this, but wouldn't Gyarados have leveled up past the obedience threshold before learning that?

I don't think so, we got the first badge didn't we? Even if it doesn't, since it's only level 23 for Dragon Rage, you can easily do the swap-trick to get Dragon Rage and then level down to 20 again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FPzero posted:

Referring to your fangame as "Nintendo Hard" does not mean you have full license to be absolute bullshit with it.

Well this isn't a baby Pokemon game for babies like Gamefreak keeps making for babies. This is a real Pokemon game with tactical depth and forcing you to adapt to your situation and hard boss battles! I kept seeing one person, using the Pulse Tangrowth for their screenshot, constantly push that Rebirth was far better than the "Baby Sun and Moon that prove Gamefreak is lazy"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

RyuHimora posted:

...how far of a rabbit hole is it to ask how the Battle Tower is unfair?

It seems to spawn teams specifically to counter your own, has enemy pokemon with higher base stats than normal and with items that reduce accuracy. And it gets cannily lucky with OHKO's

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

So says people who don't get his probability works.

When your doing dozens if not over a hundred matches in a row in which a single loss will end the streak eventually random chance will make something go wrong.

I honestly have no idea how the Battle Tower actually works of course.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Look, these are the same people who bitch that Gamefreak has made the rivals 'pussies' since Gary and Silver, because in their head, them missing the obvious Pokemon center right there when you enter town is an example of the game being assholish and ambushing you when you're super weak to beat up on you. Not, them being dumb children who didn't heal when obviously low on resources after a dungeon or missing the rest point you have to walk by in Silph Co. Or finishing up a battle in the Radio Tower and not stopping by the Pokemon Center.

And that's why you get all the "LOL YOU'RE THE RIVAL" bullshit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Then again, Blue also never 'hated' you. He was clearly your rival and competing with you, but his cruel interactions with you were limited to "Telling his sister not to give you a useless map that she'll give you anyway." and "Saying Smell ya later"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ace of Aces posted:

XY and ORAS both run with this, though; while you team up with your rival periodically, you destroy Wally so hard he becomes a smogonite, and if you picked the female protagonist, Brendan straight up quits being a Trainer when you ruin him in the post-Champion battle after the credits. In XY, it primarily shows through your interactions with Caleb/Serena; you can just see them becoming increasingly frustrated and seething that they're doing their best and you can still just walk all over them without even trying - despite the fact that they're the more experienced Trainer, and they've been taught theory by their parents since they were little, you, the new kid, just turn up and demolish them over and over again.

Not that that's a bad thing, but it's interesting when you compare it to Blue, Silver, and uh... that guy from BW whose name I forget (the male friend in your trio with Bianca), all of whom have relatively antagonistic interactions with the protagonist and are ultimately forced to reconsider their behavior (Blue has even chilled the gently caress out by the time you fight him as Champion, versus him just straight up being a jerk to you at the start of the game). While that's a positive thing in those games, the XY and ORAS rivals reconsider what they're doing in a way that makes it seem like you've had a negative impact on them, rather than a positive one.

SuMo goes in the other direction again by you essentially not having a rival. Hau and Gladion could both fill those roles (Hau probably moreso, as he fulfills the traditional 'also has a starter from your set'), but they play with the formula a lot: Gladion has already had most of his character development, but due to his tough front you don't really realize it until you proceed with the game and start reading text in Aether and talking to people; Hau is interested in getting strong enough to dethrone his grandfather, but he's more interested in having fun - until things get really serious and he shows off how strong he actually is. The character who undergoes the most rival-like arc - changing their opinions, expanding their worldview, and growing as a person through their interactions with you - is Lillie, even though you never actually fight her.

I'm interested to see what will happen in SuMo2 with stuff like this.

They don't run with it though, that's peoples interpretations, the other interpretations are your fighting with Wally inspired him to better himself as a trainer and pushed him to go out and see the world, not just living in a safe bubble. And with RSE/ORAS and Brendan/May it's just an example of them realizing that being a trainer isn't really their focus, at least not in the battle way. you didn't shatter their dreams by beating them. They were never competing with you.

Also Cheren is one of your childhood friends, he's absolutely NOT antagonistic towards the protagonist. I actually have never played XY so I cannot make a comment on Caleb/Serena and again, I would qualify that Blue isn't very antagonistic, he's certainly competitive, but it's very obvious he's your friend as well as your rival. It's far too much people's perceptions of the anime mixing with the limited text of the games that make people think that.

Silver is the only antagonistic rival in the series and even he lightens up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

In case people think edgy, tryhard poo poo like Reborn is an oddity in Pokemon Fangames

No, people still don't get it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dexie posted:

That could apply to nearly every one of the anime/manga in the 'players inside an MMO' genre.

Log Horizon can be seen in opposite to that. If only from the authors own massive admission to being a giant MMO nerd

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DemonTrigger posted:

I came upon this realization that maybe these people all heard of or read those manga that were Pokemon but like they had a bunch of Pokemon killing people and other Pokemon and whatnot? I have no idea myself cause all I ever hear about it are things that people mention on these forums, or little snippets that show up on Bulbapedia articles occasionally.

Pokemon Special sounds closest and... isn't anything like that? Like it's very much still Pokemon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

:v: Most of these people probably only know of scenes like this, or the one where an Arbok totally gets chopped in half, man! That pokemon got MURDERED!

(That pokemon did not get murdered)

Yeah, like "Gasp! All the gym leaders have been defeated and strung up by Team Plasma!" And on the other hand.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

And even 40K sometimes realizes that it needs to turn things down if it wants people to treat the drama seriously.

(See: The Gaunt's Ghosts novels, following the adventures of a Commissar who doesn't like murdering his men, a guard regiment with only one total murderous psychopath, and an Imperial Guard that mostly doesn't murder civilians for the crime of happening to live on a planet when Chaos visits.)

And on the other end of the Spectrum Ciaphas Cain, the story of a cowardly commissar who straddles the line between self-serving manipulation and genuine heroism in his attempt to survive the 41st millennium. Ignoring that 40k was initially made as a parody, after people complained about the dark setting of WHFB

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I can appreciate wanting to make a gym an actual dungeon, not just a short puzzle with fights.

But that was SO rear end.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I feel like we shouldn't be shocked. They unironically have his character class as 'Swag Jockey' him being a massive tool was really a matter of 'when'

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Gary Oak also had history with the player character. He was your Bakugo, so the rivalry felt like there was something beyond the mere fact he was a prick. He also was established as potentially world class from very early on. Losing to Gary wasn't a mark against you, since this was the guy who was setting new land speed records against gyms.

This jackass only just met you, so it doesn't work the same way.

Also, even if Blue could be jerkish, he was never an rear end in a top hat to you.

Like here are his 'dick' moments

quote:

"Alright Gramps! Leave it all to me! <player> I hate to say it, but I don't need you! I know! I'll borrow a Town Map from my sis! I'll tell her not to lend you one, <player>! Hahaha!"
Here, he's saying he doesn't need you to finish the Pokedex, and he'll stop his sister from giving you a map. Which she does anyway, not even mentioning him telling her not to.

quote:

"Hey! <player>! You're going to Pokémon League? Forget it! You probably don't have any Badges! The guard won't let you through! By the way, did your Pokémon get any stronger?"

Which, if you're paying any attention, it's Blue telling you the guard wont let you through if you don't have any badges. He's not saying you're too weak, or it's pointless for you.

quote:

"I heard Pokémon League has many tough trainers! I have to figure out how to get past them! You should quit dawdling and get a move on!"

If anything, HERE he's actively encouraging you to get stronger, quicker.

quote:

"What? <player>! What a surprise to see you here! So you're going to Pokémon League? You collected all the Badges too? That's cool! Then I'll whip you <player> as a warm up for Pokémon League! Come on!"
Underestimating you, but clearly happy that you've ALSO acquired the badges.

quote:

"That loosened me up! I'm ready for Pokémon League! <player>, you need more practice! But hey, you know that! I'm out of here. Smell ya!"
Like... how can you see these things and think Blue is malicious? These are from the original RGBY!

The majority of Blue's battles with you are him checking to see if you've gotten stronger, and then afterwards recommending you to go do things that are actually beneficial to you!

That is the key point, Blue is your rival. His active interest is becoming the best and seeing you as a whetstone for his advancement. He is not your enemy or a force actively moving to thwart your progress. Fern, and by extension so many other fan rivals, are just dickheads to you. And so many fans misunderstand that because you're ahead of your friends, that makes YOU the rival. But we go back to Blue as the original example, he saw you as his whetstone and actively encouraged you to get better! At no point does he tell you to stop your quest, or give up, or that you're a disgrace. In fact, no rival in the history of Pokemon has ever been so negative. Even loving Silver!

quote:

"I hate the weak. Pokémon, trainers. It doesn't matter who or what. I'm going to be strong and wipe out the weak. That goes for Team Rocket too. They act big and tough in a group. But get them alone, and they're weak. I hate them all. You stay out of my way. A weakling like you is only a distraction."

"…… …… …… …Oh, it's you. You wanted to get stronger, so you came for the legendary Pokémon that's supposed to be here. That's your story, right? Well, that's not going to happen. Because I'm going to get it! I'm going to be the world's greatest trainer, so a legendary Pokémon would be perfect for me. …Well, anyway. I'm getting tired of having a wimp like you always showing up.

"…Aw, whatever. You would never be able to catch a legendary Pokémon anyway."

"Hold it! I saw you, so I tailed you. I don't need you underfoot while I take care of Team Rocket. …Wait a second. You beat me before, didn't you? That was just a fluke. But I repay my debts!"

He calls you weak and tells you to stay out of his way, but he never tells you to stop your quest. He does call you a weakling, but he isn't like "GET THE gently caress OUT OF THIS GYM!" he mocks you, but then eats poo poo, and his entire character arc is learning that he's a tool.

Fern is like 80 silvers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

senrath posted:

People think Blue is malicious because they're confusing him with Gary Oak from the anime who was actively a dick to Ash.

Gary is also barely IN the anime as it was. To the point where he doesn't have a real fight with Ash until Johto, and while a Prick, he, again, never actively gets in Ash's way. He's just smug. And after the OI filler, he congratulates Ash on his victory there.

In short, Gary is in like... 10 episodes? In a 50+ episode season? And while he's a smug rear end, he's never a hindrance, and in fact often around for his own things. It seems more like everyone only remembers "Gary was here, Ash is a loser." From the sign in the early seasons and that's literally the entire character.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Golux posted:

Another factor in people remembering Blue as a jerk is them as kids not being prepared for when he challenges you near the end of a dungeon/in a town where a kid might not have gone to a pokemon center yet.

Except he never does that. The only time he challenges you at the end of a dungeon is St. Anne, where you have a bed you can heal on, and Silph Co. where you again, have beds you can heal on that you MUST pass through to get to him. In fact to get to Blue's town challenges, you must directly walk past a Pokemon Center to get to them. That's not being 'not prepared' that's 'My team has gone through hell and yet I'm going to continue exploring and not take 5 seconds to heal."

Glazius posted:

Oh lord, Captain Swag is probably going to disable a pokemon center when we go to use it or something, isn't he?

Pokemon Glazed actually does this on its third Gym Circuit. The gym leaders boyfriend is an utterly punchable twit who gasses you when you attempt to heal and locks you in a sewer dungeon. Oh an he has a Kyogre, and after you get out, he talks about fighting you "If you're good enough." You can be champion of 3 regions and he'll keep saying that. Note that in spite of him having a Kyogre, the plot of the final gym circuit is that of the 2nd Pokemon movie and a bunch of wooping idiots capturing legendary birds which fucks up nature? It's the last vestiges of whatever I had as good will to the romhack dying.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DemonTrigger posted:

I think the starters thing was just someone going "we should have ALL the starters so we can prove we're better" while someone else thought that Hidden Abilities should be less annoying to get, or somehow couldn't make them even worse to get than normal. From what I'm hearing in this thread though, it sounds like any remotely good pokemon that were near the beginning were patched out because they ruined ~their vision~ of challenge.

EDIT: This actually reminds me of a similar situation from a licensed game I saw streamed recently, which was Yu-Gi-Oh: Duelist of the Roses, the strange PS2 strategy game. You're given one of several crappy starter decks that sort of have a theme maybe, and have to go against actual themed decks who usually have just plain better cards than you, while also fighting on terrain that's advantageous to them and could possibly weaken you. And even if you use a field card to make beneficial terrain, the enemy has no compulsion to come fight you on that terrain.

DOTR is pretty fun though and usually the starting enemy decks are both super weak, and the main thing.

Nothing stops you from just skipping fighting cards you cannot beat and punching them in the Deck Master. And Reborn would be a helluva lot better if you could skip a fight by getting the gym leader in a headlock and giving them a noogie till they cry uncle.

• Locked thread