Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Octatonic posted:

Enoby but with a Protean Froakie, because you deserve to not have to work too hard

This one because gently caress this game with a rake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Bydoless posted:

In the official games, at least up to Gen VI, there's a similar level cap, but it's limited to only traded Pokemon, to discourage your from trading in Level 100 whatevers to steamroll the game but allow you to powerlevel Pokemon you got yourself without issue.

IIRC it used to be "any pokemon" and more recently just became Pokemon you get in trades to stop you from doing that, since once upon a time I overlevelled my starter and it began disobeying me back in Blue, although RBY is infamously buggy.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

hopeandjoy posted:

Honestly, there were so many 80s and 90s RPGs with things like stats that didn't do anything and busted actions that I'm not shocked some checks like this for Gen I dwell through the cracks. A lot of early JRPGs are pretty glitchy.

A lot of later ones are too. FF7 has the same problem as FF6 with an entire stat that doesn't work (MDef does nothing; magic damage defense is based on the Spirit stat only - although this one was fixed), and in possibly my favorite example of 'FF7 is loving weird', Guard Scorpion's base stats are never actually used.

When the fight with Guard Scorpion begins, it runs a startup script that changes all of its stats from A to B. When it goes into counterattack stance, its stats are changed from B to C. But when it exits counterattack stance, its stats change from C to B, meaning that stat values A - the stats that are baked into the enemy - are never used.

There are other examples that range from oversights to 'what is even going on here', along with tons of enemies that have dummied-out moves. The Death Penalty and Berserk 'glitches' are a pretty good example of how sanity checks can cause unintended behavior and how unintended behavior can form a sanity check, respectively. Vincent's Death Penalty is his ultimate weapon, and its gimmick is that it gets a power boost based on the number of enemies he's killed. At sane numbers, it works exactly as intended, but if you go miles out of your way farm (it caps at 65535), it begins to interact strangely with the way the game handles damage, which is that first it works out the power, then applies it to the enemy's defense, then if the result is >9999 it becomes 9999 and that's what's displayed. If the initial damage check is too high, it will become a negative value, which makes the game go 'oh poo poo what are you doing' and it runs a failsafe script designed to avoid a panic where it just halts all its running functions and instantly kills the target, which is mostly famous for being able to one-hit Emerald Weapon (who you could beat hundreds of times in the time it took you to farm that many kills on Death Penalty).
The 'Berserk' glitch is actually a glitch, but it glitches in a way that prevents the game from crashing. Unlike in earlier FF games where most enemies had a generic 'attack' just like the party, due to the 3D animations in FF7, they had to specify generic and special attacks for each enemy individually, and needed to specify one of those attacks to be an attack that would be used if the enemy was berserked. Unfortunately, due to oversights, they just didn't do that for some enemies that are nonetheless vulnerable to berserk. This results in the game freaking out and 'randomly' accessing data to find an attack to use. Fortunately, due to the way the RNG works, the data it always comes up with results in it reading an attack with too much MP to be cast, so the game just prints '[Enemy name] skill power is all used up.' and the enemy skips its turn. If you hack a mob to have enough MP to cast it (more than 1000, which isn't legal in the first place), the game crashes. So the fact that the game is broken prevents it from actually crashing.

Sadly these days most games are either too complex, or have too-secure sanitychecking, which typically results in fairly harmless graphical glitches and not much else - anything more severe tends to make the game panic and leads to a crash, especially with console games. It's certainly one of the things I miss most about games from 15-20 years ago.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Zereth posted:

Or you just fall out of the level.

I had that happen to me in FF15 after I spent 30 minutes cheesing the Adamantoise, and before I saved. I was less than impressed.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Arcade Rabbit posted:

And thus, speedrunning was born.

While the modern western tradition largely came about by doing that in Metroid Prime, organized speedrunning dates back to at least the days of replay-sharing of Doom via BBS and classic message boards. My favorite bullshit Doom technique is that if you blow yourself up right, because you're shorter when you're dead, you can slide under obstacles that should block your way in order to trigger the end-of-level switch (while dead). Seeing it in practice is amusing, imagining what it looks like in-universe is hilarious.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
According to my sources, to evolve Inkay you hit the B equivalent to cancel the evolution in progress.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

AmewTheFox posted:

Oh, whoops, Forneus is wrecking my poo poo with Mabufudyne. Time to find any demons that null Ice. (there aren't any at that point)

Forneus' attacks are also really weak. He has a lot of HP, but that's pretty much it. It's honestly pretty weird; when I was first playing it and saw him break out the AoEs I was like "OH poo poo" and then I wasn't dead and was kind of disappointed.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

The Golux posted:

even leveling back up after being leveled down?

If you level them back up to a level where they would learn things, then they learn them. This is useful since some Pokemon have evolved forms that learn moves at a level lower than the level they evolve at (so you have to get them by tutor).

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Karatela posted:

That's... not entirely a poo poo reason then? Especially if the tutor isn't remotely near the start or midpoint of game, that's actually a possible usage that isn't inane bullshit (it's still inane cause why not just put a tutor in every town and solve it that way?)

More recent games have got around this by making the move tutor appear somewhere early, but requiring an item that you can't farm en masse until the endgame (when you have all the tools to begin building a competitive team). Relearners tend to come later in the game, but sometimes they're free or the item they need is more common.

Also, accessing the Move Tutor/Relearner in Reborn either requires Strength, or accessing the underground railnet early (if you wait, Strength Rocks pop up after an event).

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I realise this is six pages old but it seems to have slipped through to the keeper.

Are you loving kidding me guys? When I was 12 and had got my paws on Ruby (my first Pokemon game) I worked out that the reason the cut tree at the south side of Rustboro is placed where it's placed is so that you can't see it respawning when you walk out and back. This is not a difficult concept, and every official game has very carefully ensured that breakable objects are never visible onscreen when you transition into the area they appear in so that you never actually see them spawning.

How loving hard is it to wrap your head around this? This honestly offends me the most out of everything so far; it's such an utterly simple concept and yet it's absolutely necessary to 'preserve the magic' of playing the game and exploring a world.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Onmi posted:

And that's why you get all the "LOL YOU'RE THE RIVAL" bullshit.

XY and ORAS both run with this, though; while you team up with your rival periodically, you destroy Wally so hard he becomes a smogonite, and if you picked the female protagonist, Brendan straight up quits being a Trainer when you ruin him in the post-Champion battle after the credits. In XY, it primarily shows through your interactions with Caleb/Serena; you can just see them becoming increasingly frustrated and seething that they're doing their best and you can still just walk all over them without even trying - despite the fact that they're the more experienced Trainer, and they've been taught theory by their parents since they were little, you, the new kid, just turn up and demolish them over and over again.

Not that that's a bad thing, but it's interesting when you compare it to Blue, Silver, and uh... that guy from BW whose name I forget (the male friend in your trio with Bianca), all of whom have relatively antagonistic interactions with the protagonist and are ultimately forced to reconsider their behavior (Blue has even chilled the gently caress out by the time you fight him as Champion, versus him just straight up being a jerk to you at the start of the game). While that's a positive thing in those games, the XY and ORAS rivals reconsider what they're doing in a way that makes it seem like you've had a negative impact on them, rather than a positive one.

SuMo goes in the other direction again by you essentially not having a rival. Hau and Gladion could both fill those roles (Hau probably moreso, as he fulfills the traditional 'also has a starter from your set'), but they play with the formula a lot: Gladion has already had most of his character development, but due to his tough front you don't really realize it until you proceed with the game and start reading text in Aether and talking to people; Hau is interested in getting strong enough to dethrone his grandfather, but he's more interested in having fun - until things get really serious and he shows off how strong he actually is. The character who undergoes the most rival-like arc - changing their opinions, expanding their worldview, and growing as a person through their interactions with you - is Lillie, even though you never actually fight her.

I'm interested to see what will happen in SuMo2 with stuff like this.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I did play XY and Caleb/Serena do seem to be pretty bummed about how easily you own them, but I don't recall them giving up particularly.

They don't quit but they're increasingly unhappy. When you talk to them in the ace trainer village they sound straight-up depressed, moreso after you whomp them yet again (you can do it once a day if you want!).

get that OUT of my face posted:

Is that actually the rationale behind Bug > Dark? I know that there's a reason for every type strength and weakness, and some are less obvious than others. That's awesome if that's the case.

Yeah that's literally the reason, Bug is Kamen Rider: The Type. I remember it a different way that I picked up before discovering tokusatsu though... mosquitos kick the poo poo out of Ethiopia.

Onmi posted:

the other interpretations are your fighting with Wally inspired him to better himself as a trainer and pushed him to go out and see the world, not just living in a safe bubble.

While that's a valid interpretation it's kind of injured by two things: his personality shift towards the end of his mini-arc on the ace trainer island, and he breaks the unwritten rules of the setting by competitively breeding for good mons - the human player is encouraged to do so, but in-universe people who treat their Pokemon like that tend to be seriously looked down on, and it's a pretty huge thing in a game that is all about loving Pokemon (Aqua/Magma's entire plan is centered on being misguided about this, discarded constructions were repurposed as Pokemon habitats, and so on).

Onmi posted:

Also Cheren is one of your childhood friends, he's absolutely NOT antagonistic towards the protagonist.

He's pretty antagonistic, albeit in a different way than Blue is - Blue is loudly arrogant, Cheren is quiet but tends to look down his nose a bit (or a lot, where Bianca is concerned). Similarly to Silver, it takes a high-ranking trainer throwing poo poo back in his face to make him realise that maybe the reason he's been getting wrecked is because his attitude is the problem, rather than his skill. Cheren is more like that friend everybody had who absolutely had to be the best at whatever it was, and when he takes an objective loss he clearly doesn't like it. As you say, though, that's less important to him than backing up his friends, so he works with you on and off throughout the game - his personality is antagonistic (as in, he antagonizes the protagonist repeatedly... and about 80% of what he says to Bianca is passive-aggressive at best), but once he pulls his head out of his rear end he's a great guy. In broad strokes, he's actually pretty similar to Silver, and you see similar characters crop up periodically in the anime as well.
Mind you I never got around to playing BW2 so I don't know what he's like as a Gym Leader but I imagine he's Norman Mark II.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I don't know where the gently caress I read it but it's so wrong on so many levels that it stuck in my head.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

GeneX posted:

I want to know why Ethiopia specifically and not just Africa

I don't know, I just read it and it stuck because it's so insane.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Considering this has the standard hipster dialogue attached to it I'm fairly sure this is intended to be self-effacing.

Not that the rest of the update isn't why, especially the tree glitches, but I'm pretty sure that one is actually a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I realise that Absolute Virtue was a while ago (I've been in the country with no internet) but something that needs to be mentioned is uh, AV shares a lot of similarities with a 'raid boss' in the backstory of .Hack - you know how Balmung of the Azure Sky and Orca of the Azure Sea have those fancy titles? They got them by teaming up to take down this boss (like AV, it had a gimmick where you had to counter it cyclically, and it was best fought with two players instead of the maximum 3 in order to minimize lag time and potential mixups when executing the counter), and I'm pretty sure this thing came first.

So AV which is the punchline to basically any and all unkillable superbosses, is apparently based on a boss (there are more similarities than just the gimmick, I am massively skimming here) who is only notable because it died to two guys who are a big deal.

• Locked thread