Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Evolution Worlds

Evolution Worlds is an abridged collection of two separate games: Evolution and Evolution 2. Go figure. The title is a bit misleading, because the games both take place in the same world, and fit reasonably well together as a single product. Some concessions were made, such as drastically reducing the length of the first game, but I think this was for the better.

Okay but what genre?

Evolution Worlds is a reasonably average JRPG. The battles are turn-based, the menus look familiar, the story is heavy in exposition, the characters are... something. That being said, it does have some interesting features. In place of standard skills and spells, the characters have CyFrames, which are machines that perform special attacks of various functions and spreads. There are also “Talents”, which are more technical moves that play off the respective character's personalities.

You may be looking at the word 'spreads' up there and thinking, “What the gently caress does that mean?” Well, the battles function on a grid. The enemies are spread out in a variety of formations across your encounters, and there will be many times you want to hit more than one of the suckers. This is accomplished through CyFrame attacks, which target different areas of the grid depending on your choice of CyFrame kit and individual skills. You can also adjust your own place on the grid to either increase the accuracy of your moves or decrease the enemy's accuracy.

Sounds reasonable.

It's a fun idea! The problem then.. lies in the execution. Instead of the adventure format followed by most of its brethren, Evolution Worlds takes place primarily inside dungeons. Long, grueling, excessively repetitive dungeons. There is a painful segregation between Story and Gameplay, to the point you forget the characters are supposed to have personalities, and instead start seeing them as soulless polygon pawns in the most terribly boring 15+ hour board game you can imagine. Navigating the dungeons is a chore, and any sense of challenge outside of boss battles is nearly absent.

So why play it?

Part of me wants to cry and break down screaming, “I don't know anymore”, but really it's more simple than that. There are good ideas here, and I want people to experience those without the god-awful grinding slog of the real deal. To that end, this Let's Play will be done in a heavily edited format, ensuring that all the important pieces of design are preserved independently of the tedium.

So let's get on with it. And no spoilers, please. Only discuss events that have already occurred in the game or commentary.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh this is a game I wanted to see LPed for some time along with Skies of Arcadia which Travis already did.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Oh this is a game I wanted to see LPed for some time along with Skies of Arcadia which Travis already did.

I'm glad I could help scratch that itch. The game is worth sharing for sure, in spite of the repetition

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I rented this game a lot when I was a kid and renting games from Blockbuster was still a thing. Can't wait to revisit those memories.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've never been able to see that thing on Mag's back as anything other than Boba Fett's helmet.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've never been able to see that thing on Mag's back as anything other than Boba Fett's helmet.

I am so glad I wasn't the only one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I want people to experience those without the god-awful grinding slog of the real deal.

Thank you for this much, in this and other LPs.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Thank you for this much, in this and other LPs.

Of course, I'm not a monster.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Gre should be everyone's role model, really.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I loved this game as a kid, but then I played it again in college and realized HOW MUCH grinding there was.
Your commentary on this video seemed a bit rushed. A few times, I noticed you starting a new sentence basically in the same breath, and it's a jarring effect.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Gre is the most badass butler since Alfred.

And something to note that each party member is named after a weapon:
  • Mag's name is used for the Mag Launcher in Titanfall.
  • Linear is likewise named for a fictional weapon, the Linear Cannon from Gundam.
  • Gre on the other hand is named for a real life weapon as his full name is Gre Nade as in grenade.
  • Chain is named for the chain gun.
  • And finally we have Pepper who's named after the pepper-box revolver.
Mag's dad Asroc also has this naming convention as he is named after the RUR-5_ASROC.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 4, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You're citing Titanfall? Mag launcher is another name for a railgun, plain and simple.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Bruceski posted:

You're citing Titanfall? Mag launcher is another name for a railgun, plain and simple.

You might want to cite your source for that cause I didn't find anything to suggest that beyond the fact that the Mag Launcher in Titanfall is itself technically a railgun.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ignoring the fact that Evolution came out a good 16-odd years before Titanfall, a 'magnetic launcher' is a valid name for a railgun. That's what they do, they use electromagnets to, well, launch things.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Senerio posted:

Your commentary on this video seemed a bit rushed. A few times, I noticed you starting a new sentence basically in the same breath, and it's a jarring effect.

I'll try to space it better, which should be easier with more footage to work with for the second (much longer) dungeon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Ignoring the fact that Evolution came out a good 16-odd years before Titanfall, a 'magnetic launcher' is a valid name for a railgun. That's what they do, they use electromagnets to, well, launch things.

I don't question the validity of mag launcher as a colloquial term for a railgun, Titanfall was just the first result I found when I looked up "Mag Launcher" and it made sense given what Mag's butler is named after.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Gre is the best manservant. Please never use Chain or Pepper.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Gre is the best manservant. Please never use Chain or Pepper.

We'll use Gre at least twice throughout the game, but I am obligated to show Chain and Pepper's abilities as well.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

We'll use Gre at least twice throughout the game, but I am obligated to show Chain and Pepper's abilities as well.

But think of how much money you're losing! You need that to rebuild the Launcher family legacy!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Shoeless posted:

But think of how much money you're losing! You need that to rebuild the Launcher family legacy!

And repay our debt, but did we really need to eat this week?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

And repay our debt, but did we really need to eat this week?

I mean probably? Also, out of pure curiosity how long did that first dungeon take you to do? I know you cut out most of it, but I'm wondering just how long you suffered in our name.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 3, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Shoeless posted:

how long did that first dungeon take you to do?

That one was around 36 minutes. The next one is a solid 90 minutes, so it's a bit of a jump.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's not a long legacy

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Holy moly is Eugene creepy. I am surprised they are so explicit about his ephebopedophilia in what is very much a kid's game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Holy moly is Eugene creepy. I am surprised they are so explicit about his ephebopedophilia in what is very much a kid's game.

I've wondered for years how they pushed that through or what the exact thought processes involved were. The game is rated E, after all. Getting in touch with Sting for an interview over this is probably not likely, though.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Yeah, that scene with Eugene made me really uncomfortable. The game went from cutesy to creepy in no time flat.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Time to open up a can of E-Rated whoop-rear end

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
How long is this game? Two dungeons, and it feels like we're half way done.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AltaBrown posted:

How long is this game? Two dungeons, and it feels like we're half way done.

The second act of the game contains five dungeons.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is where the first Dreamcast release ended

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

This is where the first Dreamcast release ended

Was is it supposed to be episodic like Shining Force 3?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Was is it supposed to be episodic like Shining Force 3?

Not that I can find. It seems that they released the first game and nearly immediately thought they could do better, so they made a sequel.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Surely someone else must also be interested in this

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mag isn't big on negotiation

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
In case anyone was wondering, Carcano is named after the Carcano series of rifles and carbines.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Downright lovely

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Maaaan I had this game as a kid, and I think this was actually the first RPG on the Gamecube. From what I recall it's an alright dungeon crawler with a weird amount of detail put into the dumbest things in the first half, and then the same polish is absent for the second half. I'm tempted to see if I can get a means to play the dreamcast originals but it's not the most amazing game out there, and I wanna say the translation on the dreamcast games is pretty garbage (at least, as far as I know they retranslated the game and added english voice acting for the gamecube port).

Anyway! At one point I considered doing this game myself but between losing the disc and my capture setups for gamecube being abysmal at best, it's good that someone else found the game. I'll try to chime in when I can here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Unknown Quantity posted:

Maaaan I had this game as a kid

I'm surprised how many people owned this.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's been nearly a month, but the LP isn't dead, just waiting for me to edit together the footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's a layered joke. The first layer is that it's a reference to the previous video, titled "World Building". The second layer is that one could interpret the title as the act of building despair, as though one's despair is heightening at a consistent rate. The third layer is that the in-video location is called Tower of Despair, and a tower is nothing more than a building, hence "Despair Building".

• Locked thread