Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah people trash talked each other back then but no one was really mad about it. Now you have people screaming in apoplectic rage over the mic and team games are about managing everyone's fragile egos so they don't spontaneously decide to ruin the game. And now you have people playing from Russia/China/etc thrown into the mix with their >999 ping and it feels like playing multiplayer is a crapshoot for whether you're going to have fun or not.
Also game tastes have changed and a lot of games are designed around team comp/working closely together now and it gives people an opportunity to blame other people. If someone talked poo poo to you in Quake it was either because they were really good and were destroying you or they were really bad and had to try to own you in chat instead and either way it was funny. In Overwatch/dota/w/e they're talking trash cause they're losing and genuinely mad and wanna take out their aggression on a teammate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's a design problem. Designers need to be more mindful of what kind of lens their mechanics will encourage other players to be viewed through, IMO. At least if they're trying to make a social game. It's probably okay in Hardcore Electronic Sports Games for that lens to continue to be "I'm not bad at this game, it's just that I got put on a team with human garbage" as it tends to be now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah the socially responsible FPS would pop up a message after you die that's like "hey you kinda suck at this but that's okay try aiming better" with a little smiley face. Don't build up people's gaming egos imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they're legos, build shelves

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

The to the what what now?
"Cubes Rule Everything Around Me" -minecraft man

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Combat 2... its time

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

small rear end chef

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

astroneer
I was just trying to remember the name of this game, thank you. searching google for pc space planet game wasn't helping

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

I bought Earth Defense Force 4.1 in the sale and have it downloading right now. Anything I should know?
press the button that makes you sing the EDF anthem

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think either can work although I've yet to play an FPS that really mastered melee combat.
Dead Island (but only on controller)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wizards are horny AS gently caress, historically speaking

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

all I'm hearing is that you're too lazy to learn how to walk on stilts

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also those are some horny loving centaurs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wonder what the centaurs are worried about? its loving

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

What's the best home version of Bust A Move/Puzzle Bobble?
If you're gonna play it on real hardware, probably the Dreamcast version of 4, looks the best + has a real good soundtrack also. Not really a series that changed dramatically from game to game though, I usually just load up the Neo Geo version of 1 or 2 tbh

oddium posted:

kirby's avalanche
That's Puyo Puyo :whitewater:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I possibly should have just asked if the DS version is any good because that's about the only one I can play without busting out old hardware.
No pun intended.
They're fine I guess IDK, Space Bust a Move on original DS is probably the best recent game unless I'm forgetting one. The last one that came out on 3DS was Bad though, in all the ways a Bust a Move game can be bad. Terrible graphics, bad soundtrack, tiny number of levels

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Snak posted:

I first heard the term srpg like, yesterday. What the gently caress is an srpg?
a game that looks like Final Fantasy Tactics, or Fire Emblem

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dropping acid all by yourself in your mansion's candy room sounds like a waste of lsd, imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dewgy posted:

I got bored and looked into something from gaming history. Fun fact!

It says "ば-っ!", which is "Ba-fu!" in hiragana. So yes, yes they do say BARF in the original version of RCR.
the mistranslation troll strikes again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dewgy posted:

It's close enough for me to be able to say the translation's accurate, and that's all I care about! :haw:

In my defense, the NES is not kind to hiragana.
You also mixed up your hiragana and your katakana, つ and フ, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give you an F

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Mostly I wanna know how the start of Crash 2 plays out if you're playing as Coco, like if Coco is just there telling Coco to go fetch her stuff or what :P Or if you get holographic messages from Coco telling Coco not to trust Cortex.
Too lazy to make a Memento photoshop but pretend I posted one here with a polaroid of N Cortex

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FF8 is coming back in a big way, hope everyone is ready for 2018, the year of Final Fantasy 8 being considered cool and good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The only reason MGS1 needed to be on two discs was because of those minute long clips lol
I'm glad of it, the parts of mgs1 where old men lecture you about politics over top of stock footage and inforgraphics were incredibly powerful at loving up my 10 year old brain permanently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

People being incredibly horny, is better than people being incredibly murdery, IMO

• Locked thread