Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's a crime that no commercially released beatemup in the last 7 years has managed to surpass that Streets of Rage fan remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

SirKibbles posted:

So apparently there's a Life is Strange prequel by a different developer. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-01-looks-like-theres-a-life-is-strange-prequel-for-some-reason

I for one can't wait for Square to run one of their new IPs straight into the ground. Going to be talking about Life/Strange final remix the Hellaing in like 5 years.

edit: Like does square even have that many IPs in like the last decade.

I don't trust that they're going to do a good job, most of all because the setting and characters of Life is Strange ver. 1 don't need to be revisited. I'm going to use the fact that it's being developed by a different studio as my excuse for saying it doesn't really count when I inevitably buy the game and play it anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah, this doesn't really feel like a story that needs to be told as I felt Life is Strange already told us as much as we needed to know regarding Chloe and Rachel's relationship (plus even if they do add some supernatural elements in we already pretty much know how the game's going to end). It might turn out decent and I'm willing to reserve judgement until I actually get a chance to try it but it just seems unnecessary to me.

If Ashly Burch and whoever voiced Frank are back on board then I will be, too. If they get replacement VAs then no freaking way (until I buy it).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting games are good because if you lose the only person you have to blame is yourself instead of 4-5 other people. It's also helpful to be reminded that you are bad at video games lest you become too egotistical.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I have thousands of hours of video footage of people blaming others for losing at fighting games.

Imbalance is the final refuge of the scrub.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yes and every one of those people is just lashing out because deep down they know they have failed and can't accept that.

Y'know, in general I think I'm a happier more accepting of flawed games person for the ironic reason that I assume that I suck when I'm sucking rather than assuming it's the game or other person's fault.

Sometimes I can lose a bunch of games in a row and that's frustrating but then when I actually think about it I'm like "wow, my amazing strategy of doing the same attacks over and over in the same exact way somehow didn't work, who would have guessed."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

chumbler posted:

I wish Tekken 7 had a better character tutorial, or at least something that cycles through the move list as you do them. Unless I just missed that option somewhere. The game might be more popular if it actually bothered to teach players anything.

All fighting games are incredibly bad at showing players what's actually important in the tutorials.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

Guilty Gear's is good.

Injustice 2 has a really nice and detailed practice mode with all sorts of configurations and stuff like frame info but if you just memorized the movelist you would never understand how the game is all about stringing combos together or knowing what initiators are safe vs. unsafe or any other number of things. You still have to go to TYM or some other external source to see what each character's BnB strings are unless you're just so naturally talented at FGs that you could figure it all out yourself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think I could watch any E3 presser without commentary, it would be too boring/awkward otherwise

tbqh the actual E3 floor presentations are too embarrassing for me to watch, I just tune in for the trailers and ~20-min gameplay previews.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All food in America is awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't even remember the last thing I ate that I didn't enjoy and I eat like 3,500 calories a day. I think I would have to sit down and concentrate real hard to not enjoy food.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mocking perfectly normal food combinations that would taste good to anyone like the humble tuna casserole while holding up some other culture's working class food as artisanal masterpieces is why it costs $18 for a taco in Brooklyn and is hella elitist + ignorant.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Like I'm not going to make anyone feel bad if they eat well or don't like mcdonald's or whatever but people who try to make someone feel bad for eating minute rice or w/e are just pieces of crap to me. Like ffs do you not get that maybe that person literally cannot afford the good stuff.

That's why I only eat from authentic ethnic restaurants where I'm certain the cooks wouldn't just cut corners or load up everything with butter and oil. Not like us fat Americans!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have basically no sentimental connection to the DC universe but Injustice 2 is pretty all right. The main campaign is patently ridiculous and mostly just a bunch of contrived scenarios to get superheroes to beat each other up, which is about what you'd expect for an NRS game. But apparently fans of the comics like the story, so it's probably just par for the course as far as comic book plots go. Who knows. The multiverse is a natural evolution of all the MKX towers and definitely the strongest aspect to the game here. You can spend hours doing all the scenarios and playing pretty pretty princess with your favorite superheroes without ever getting your ego bruised online. They manage to make some characters memorable and funny even if you had no idea they even existed, like what they did with Black Canary + Green Arrow, and all their little pre-match and clash callouts are cool. It's a fun game that also sometimes succeeds at being a good technical fighter. Now is definitely the time to jump in early, while everyone is still horrible and half the people you play against have no answer for dirty teleport spam.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Almost all the youtube reviewers I've seen of Injustice 2 said they liked the story mode. It's all pretty ridiculous to me and I just kind of tuned out since I don't even recognize half the cast, but it's whatever. A bunch of superheroes are gonna beat each other up, how complex can it really ever get.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All comic book plots are inherently absurd, but the only ones that really annoy me are those that demand to be taken with the utmost sincerity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What was the name of that beatemup game for PS2 where you would do all kinds of fancy moves just by using the analog stick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I was remembering the Jet Li game, cool. Wonder if it's any good now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's the Polygon dudes who are known for being bad at video games, not RPS.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Battleborn Free Trial is a whole new way to experience Battleborn without having to pay a dime. The Free Trial encompasses UNLIMITED Competitive Multiplayer play, including access to all four competitive multiplayer modes, a rotating roster of free playable heroes, and the same character and account growth and progression you would find in the full game.

lol how is it that they manage to gently caress up every single part of the failed game manifesto

Sometimes when I need a pickmeup I go to Steam's concurrent user page and find Battleborn usually wedged somewhere in between Saint's Row 2 and anime VNs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BTA to put your name on a government watchlist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I like For Honor and the combat is quite awesome when it works but I'd say it suffers from a small concentration of big problems. I almost never complain about balance in games but there are just some crippling balance issues exacerbated by a lack of visual consistency, which for a fighting game is just unforgiveable. I think these problems have come more into relief in recent weeks with the release of the Centurion who is just zero fun to play against 1v1. Also Injustice 2 just came out and I feel like I'm on a way more even level with the scrubs in ranked play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zelda and Horizon are both big hits but like 12 people outside of this forum + Japan even know what Persona 5 is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

10 Ways the New Minecraft Update Promotes LGBTQ Acceptance - #3 SLAMS Notch...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It always seemed pretty obvious to me that Andromeda's production was in trouble from the very beginning. AAA developers do not wait to show actual gameplay footage one month prior to release unless they've got a real stinker on their hands and wanna fleece nerds for $200 collector editions (game not included). Confident projects are proud to show off and both Zelda/Horizon had a wealth of in-game footage and demos out on roughly the same production cycle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Game developers should hire someone to just be the guy that shoots people down as soon as they mention procedural generation

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Game review scores are so inflated that metacritic shifts its criteria to "mixed" when a game falls below 75 in the aggregate. A big-budget AAA release posting below an 80 is disastrous.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The art direction in Battleborn is terrible. There's no visual consistency among the characters and the UI looks like three HUDs vomited onto the screen at once.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hasn't it been rumored if not announced that the PS4 Pro is going to get a price drop + HZD bundle in the $350 range?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Once you see TressFX at a glorious 60fps like God Xirself intended there is no price too high for PC gaming.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Even her vagina gotta six-pack.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Someone's trying to ransom Cyberpunk 2077 assets, apparently

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/872840969795899394

Is it just me or is this loving crazy?! Has such a thing happened before?

These pre-E3 ARGs are just getting more and more convoluted.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting games are easiest to get into if you don't have a particularly high opinion of your gaming skills and are already well-accustomed to failure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They should make a fighting game that's just cats in poorly fitting armor and call it Soooul Cat-liburrrr

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bethesda: I don't know, whaddya morons want this year? Fallout 5? Elder Scrolls? Is that all you ever care about, you idiots?
Gaming Public: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbUpGoOjFWw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

im crawlin steamspy again. here apparently are the 10 most owned metroidvanias on steam (excising ones on the list that aren't)

#1 - arkham asylum (2.8m owners)
#2 - darksiders/warmastered (2.7m owners)
#3 - outland (1.2m owners because it went free for a day)
#4 - dust an elysian tail (1.1m owners)
#5 - ori & the blind forest (939K owners)
#6 - guacamelee (828K owners)
#7 - you have to win the game (641K owners, free game)
#8 - arkham origins blackgate (55K owners)
#9 - unEpic (461K owners)
#10 - Strider 2014 (420K owners)
just missing the cut: Aquaria (355K)

and now the sad part which is, metroidvanias I like and how unpopular they are

Song of the Deep (126K)
Odallus the Dark Call (113K)
Castle in the Darkness (48K)
Environmental Station Alpha (37K)
Super Panda Adventures (36K)
Rex Rocket (24K)
Mini-Ghost (10K)
Magicians & Looters (8K)
Alwa's Awakening (4K) :( :( :(

This list is missing the finest Metroidvania of all, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reavaaaaah

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

gently caress Ted Faro.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They should have just called it the XBox Xrd.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

Though aren't the planned sequel and the prequel title being handled by a different company two seperate games (the former of which we still know nothing about other than it's being worked on last I checked)?

Speaking of which, here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q68LGOjpRHI

Looks like Chloe's the star this time (possibly once again voiced by Ashly Burch based on the one line of dialogue in the trailer). It's also apparently going to be episodic again but only 3 parts this time. The first episode is due out this August.

Also while Max's spirit guide in the original was a butterfly, Chloe's seems to be a crow (which I guess fits considering the circumstances), wonder what the gimmick is going to be this time?

There was a flashback with Chloe in the car with her dad so maybe some time travel gimmick will still exist. Who knows!

I really doubt that some no-name studio could do LiS justice but I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

It looks ok so far at least, though they'd have to be careful if they introduce a time travel mechanic so as not to step on the toes of the original (that is, if Chloe had powers of her own all along why did she never use them?). This could be decent or it could be absolutely abysmal but what we've seen looks interesting enough to be worth giving it a shot.

I'm guessing here but I will say that special powers will not be involved since it would break just about everything in the OG Life is Strange.

• Locked thread