Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I read all of the Injustice comic over the last week or so, about 150 issues. The art is generally pretty good but I was getting really tired of it near the end because it's really just one big excuse to have every DC character ever punch each other in the face. Not surprising for a comic based on a fighting game I guess.

At one point the Greek gods come and decide they want to wipe out all religion and Batman goes and asks alien Moses(?) to stop them so Moses and Zeus have a conversation and it's all good. Also Harley Quinn and Shazam go to the underworld and teleport back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Please make Rusty the official Nintendo store-keeper.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

When you try and buy Metroid for the seventh time:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

"Nintendo Bankrupt after Digital Hound goes Dollars for Donuts"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I am trying to decide whether to play Prey or finally get around to my 100% non lethal (aka the batman) run of Dishonored 2. Arkane makes some good games I tell you hwhat

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Paper Jam was real fun. Not a perfect game but a worthy entry into the franchise.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The tie-in comic for the Injustice games is unbelievably good. It was supposed to be 6 issues long but got turned into an ongoing due to unexpected financial and critical success. But neither game's actual story is very good at all outside of a few moments and I'm shocked that anyone is praising them. I mean I guess by fighting game standards it's good, because loving look at any given bad Capcom fighter's awful story, but man. That's a low bar to clear.

I read through the entirety of the injustice comic and while it is entertaining it suffers from the same issue the games do. Which is to say, it's just a bunch of contrived situations to get superheroes to punch one another, and is about as deep and subtle as a fart joke. Still, the punching is good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

precision posted:

i'm on ps4 :(

that really sucks. probably gonna be injustice 2 i guess. i think i'll actually walk to target and get a physical copy so i don't have to wait 6 hours for it to download.

Injustice 2 is a great game for being blazed if you have any passing interest in comics at all. That said, the opening of Prey was loving mindblowing in a way that Injustice never was.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Battleborn put out a 10gb patch yesterday to add........................................ hats

lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

Yeah, aside from loving Operation Flashpoint many years ago I've not been an arma lover. I enjoyed some of the stories etc from DayZ but it was laborious to play (similar to my thoughts on EVE).

Had a quick look online and many people say it's fun to play and a way better game than DayZ etc but then there was an article on RPS basically saying 'nope it's still bad like DayZ is for this writer, and the players suck'. Wondered if people cared here since there was no thread I could see and it might be cool in teams of 2/3.

Battlegrounds owns. Also you should check again because there is a thread and it's almost always on page 1 because people on this forum love that game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In Training posted:

I wanna play Death By Degrees

Death by Degrees has taken on an almost mythic place in my gaming history. I remember it coming out and reading about it in gaming mags and thinking it looked so badass. Unfortunately, I didn't have a PS2 so I never got to play it. Although maybe that's a good thing, since it was apparently kind of crap.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I want to be able to watch the new season of Twin Peaks so I'm finally taking the plunge and trying to get through season 2. 22 episodes of varying quality is an intimidating concept though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mordja posted:

The first part of season 2, up to the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer is as good as anything in season 1, and the denouement is absolutely harrowing. Then David Lynch pretty much exited the show, leaving us with plotlines like "James Hurley does America." Well, a very small part of America, at least.

To be honest, it's not all bad, just aimless and big on the quirk. I didn't hate Windom Earle as much as some people did, and Ben Horne, Confederate general was dumb enough to be funny. Lynch did come back at the end, though, and the finale is absolutely must-see TV.

Am I going to miss anything super important if I look up "worst episodes of season 2" and just skip those? I understand that there are a lot of callbacks in the new stuff but I don't generally see the value in spending hours on end watching something I don't enjoy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In Training posted:

Just watch the whole show it's not even that long

I mean, it's 21 45 minute episodes + an hour and a half premiere. That's not a small amount of my life. I'll probably end up just watching it all though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bring back mech games

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

This seems like a long shot but is there a Killing Floor 2 thread or a good place to talk about it? It's one of the PS+ games for this month and I think it's a pretty fun way to spend time shooting zombies. I like playing these types of games with goons who have mics, but it doesn't have the following that some games have so I don't know if there's a SA community around it. I played the first KF on PC but I think this one has made a lot of nice improvements and it's one of the better PS+ games in a while.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714478

Pro-tip if you're ever looking for a thread for a particular game just go to google and do "game name + somethingawful"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

When characters in a tv show are talking about a guy named "Richard" and keep calling him "Dick" but you know they mean "dick" and not "Dick".

It's good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Literally the exact moment I was thinking of lol. Kyle Maclachlan is an American treasure.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-dMLLUUsjw

I can't decide whether this is Volition realizing too late that they should have just made another Saints Row game or hoping that they can distract people from the lukewarm gameplay of Agents of Mayhem by dangling Gat in front of everyone like so many jangling car keys in front of an infant. Either way this just makes me sad and embarassed for their sake.

Goddamn Volition. Gat was cool in SR1 and 2 because they didn't try so hard and used him rarely but effectively.Then they killed him off camera in SR3 in one of the stupider moves in any video game plot, brought him back in SR4 while constantly going "OH GAT IS BACK, ISN'T HE SO COOL?!" and now I'm supposed to care that they brought him back again for their other "totally not Saints Row" game?

I would be so happy if they took a step back and re-examined the tone of their games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've been watching a lot of twin peaks while playing a lot of dead cells. A combo I'd recommend!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bethesda conference was a waste of time. At least there's new dishonored content.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

a kitten posted:

I do, gay Bowser.

lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

"Garfield: GO"
Garfield: "No"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Gaming confession: The closest I got to playing a Classic Castlevania was the SotN opening. I guess I should try them some day?

SotN take a little while to really get going (2 hours or so) but once it does it's impossible to put down. Such an incredible game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

SotN is not a classic Castlevania.

Uh yeah I know he was talking about SotN in his post though

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I won't pretend to understand the nuances of situations like this but didn't SE wholly own IO? Is it normal for a studio to just go independent in a case like this?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

H e l l o everybody

How's everybody's day going today, anything exciting planned for today or for the weekend?

I just finished taking my seizure meds and I think I'm gonna go ahead and take a nap. Either that or play some bastard bonds. Or something. We got our car's oil changed today so hopefully it'll stop throwing the occasional oil-related hissy fit. Other than that, I've got nothin going on.

I swear I'm gonna stare at my steam games list for a few minutes and just end up going back to watching woodturning videos lmao

All my friends are busy with personal poo poo/out of town this weekend so I imagine I'll be playing a lot of Battlegrounds. Maybe some Dead Cells too. Games are hecka good these days.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

So I started playing Mad Max yesterday. At one point early on there was this long cutscene with a mysterious wanderer and I skipped it because I was like "this is just an excuse to have a skill tree for Max isn't it" and sure enough it was. The story seems kinda dumb for the most part and the combat is so Batman it hurts.

But MAN I really like muscle cars and this game has some sexy engine sounds. I'm having a blast just driving around and going off jumps. Kinda lame that they open up this garage and say "hey, lookit all this cool stuff you can do to your car!" but then 99.9% of it is locked behind story progression.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Things that I am impatient to have released:

Breath of the Wild DLC

Dragon Ball Fighter Z holy poo poo I want it so bad

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got off the plateau in Breath of the Wild.

It seems all right so far. I discovered the jump attack, which is cool. The weapon break/inventory system still seems dumb though

Whether you like or dislike the durability system (personally I think it was implemented pretty well) it becomes almost entirely forgettable within 4-5 hours of starting the game. They throw so much gear at you, you wont be wanting for weapons. The only time I found myself getting annoyed by it was for a particular set of quests that require you to chop a ton of wood. The axes break pretty easily so I ended up having to go axe-hunting every 15 minutes or so.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I played Horizon right after Zelda and it made me realize how little top of the line graphics do for me anymore. Zelda has a great art style but it also absolutely nails the feeling of discovery and curiosity. It reminded me of playing Morrowind for the first time.

In Horizon, I'd discover a gigantic new city but it felt totally empty because all it really was was a hub for some more quests and gear.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's not so much the durability as "Oh, your inventory is full" and then I have to go into the menu and drop stuff just to pick up a better thing, which will inevitably break in two fights down the road? Does your carrying capacity go up?

Oh yeah, it goes way up. Just be sure to collect as many korok seeds as you can wink wink

Andrast posted:

Use bombs

WHERE WERE YOU 2 MONTHS AGO :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's objectively less "bare bones" than it was at launch considering there have been a bunch of new characters and maps added as free updates.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

What's with legos? Squares and rectangles? Come on! It's the 21st century dummies!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

This season of Twin Peaks is somebody playing Coop with 10 in Luck and Charisma and with 1 in Intelligence and it's amazing.

Dougie must have a 10 in charisma if he managed to land Naomi Watts. I mean goddamn.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WNsmCpdhhY

man what the gently caress is happening

Atari saw the NES classic and realized how much money there is to be had in releasing an emulation machine with great margins?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Maybe something to do with the new Seaman game.

goferchan posted:

That's what you'd think but nope. They haven't released a lot of details but they've confirmed it's nothing like a retro emulation machine (which Atari has been doing for a while anyways before the NES classic was ever a thing) but closer in specs to a modern console. Idk what the gently caress they're thinking lol

...huh

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

goferchan posted:

the new WHAT?

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/25/15690876/new-seaman-yoot-saito-teaser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

goferchan posted:

^^ honestly as much as phone games are usually bad , Seaman would be a great fit . Integrate it with your Siri/"OK Google" poo poo and you could probably put something pretty impressive out

Yeah that was my first thought as well. Maybe they're planning on integrating it into the phone camera somehow? That would explain the emphasis on eye scanning stuff.

• Locked thread