Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

So apparently there's a Life is Strange prequel by a different developer. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-01-looks-like-theres-a-life-is-strange-prequel-for-some-reason

I for one can't wait for Square to run one of their new IPs straight into the ground. Going to be talking about Life/Strange final remix the Hellaing in like 5 years.

edit: Like does square even have that many IPs in like the last decade.

How would a prequel even work exactly? You'd still pretty much need a brand new cast for things to make sense (only other thing I could think of would be to make it about Rachel Amber, revealing that she had time powers too. Though looking at the preview images that would appear to be the case). Seems like a weird thing to do but I suppose it could be interesting if handled right.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't trust that they're going to do a good job, most of all because the setting and characters of Life is Strange ver. 1 don't need to be revisited. I'm going to use the fact that it's being developed by a different studio as my excuse for saying it doesn't really count when I inevitably buy the game and play it anyway.

Yeah, this doesn't really feel like a story that needs to be told as I felt Life is Strange already told us as much as we needed to know regarding Chloe and Rachel's relationship (plus even if they do add some supernatural elements in we already pretty much know how the game's going to end). It might turn out decent and I'm willing to reserve judgement until I actually get a chance to try it but it just seems unnecessary to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

If Ashly Burch and whoever voiced Frank are back on board then I will be, too. If they get replacement VAs then no freaking way (until I buy it).

Frank was voiced by a guy named Daniel Bonjour. I'm guessing most of the voice cast would be pretty easy to get back if they needed them (Though Burch was one of the few voice actors in the game that actually had some acting experience prior to Life is Strange). Also by all accounts most of them seem to have enjoyed the experience (in fact, I think a few of them even did a playthrough of the game that's up on Youtube somewhere).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 2, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Death is Strange, main character is Chloe as a ghost.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Life is Strange Then You Die
On Stranger Lives
Max & Chloe's Excellent Adventure
Death is Certain
The Butterfly Effect (oh wait...)
Life is Hella Weird

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 2, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

haveblue posted:

Turns out it's Life is Strange: Before the Storm so we can all stop now

Though aren't the planned sequel and the prequel title being handled by a different company two seperate games (the former of which we still know nothing about other than it's being worked on last I checked)?

Speaking of which, here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q68LGOjpRHI

Looks like Chloe's the star this time (possibly once again voiced by Ashly Burch based on the one line of dialogue in the trailer). It's also apparently going to be episodic again but only 3 parts this time. The first episode is due out this August.

Also while Max's spirit guide in the original was a butterfly, Chloe's seems to be a raven (which I guess fits considering the circumstances), wonder what the gimmick is going to be this time?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There was a flashback with Chloe in the car with her dad so maybe some time travel gimmick will still exist. Who knows!

I really doubt that some no-name studio could do LiS justice but I want to believe.

It looks ok so far at least, though they'd have to be careful if they introduce a time travel mechanic so as not to step on the toes of the original (that is, if Chloe had powers of her own all along why did she never use them?). This could be decent or it could be absolutely abysmal but what we've seen looks interesting enough to be worth giving it a shot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm guessing here but I will say that special powers will not be involved since it would break just about everything in the OG Life is Strange.

True, there still could be a similar gimmick but maybe something the player character doesn't have direct control of (hell, give Rachel the powers instead. There's already hints in the first game that she was guiding Max along as a spirit and might have been the source of her Rewind powers to begin with). I can almost guarantee there's going to be some kind of mechanic or else there won't be much of a game (this is still kind of pointless to begin with seeing as we already know how this is going to end, but maybe they'll find some way to make it interesting).

Actually, it might have made more sense to make Rachel the protagonist this time and expand on her story a bit more (though they're probably going to do that anyway( rather than Chloe but we'll see how this goes.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Well in the first game we saw a butterfly come to symbolize Max's branching realities through rewinding time, aka the butterfly effect. This game appears to prominently feature a raven, which are commonly associated with prophecy in many cultures. So maybe the gimmick of this game will be seeing glimpses into the future and trying to figure out how your decisions in the present will affect them. Who knows!

That might actually be kind of cool if handled right. At the moment I'm interested in this and look forward to learning more details (and seeing what DontNod has in mind for the actual sequel but I doubt we'll be seeing anything on that until next year at the earliest).

Hopefully Ashly Burch is back onboard for this as well (it kind of sounded like her in the trailer but she only said one word so I can't really tell at this point) along with Daniel Bonjour(Frank) and I guess Nik Shriner(Nathan) and Derek Phillips(Jefferson) too since they were involved in the events covered by this game as well (maybe Hannah Telle too if they want to do a flashback with Max at some point).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

The prophecy angle could be kind of meta, seeing how most people who will play Life is 2trange would be familiar with the original and therefor playing the game with the knowledge of these characters' future. Will players make decisions that seem to go against the interests of Chloe because they know how it will benefit her in a different game? Even something like the other girl, Rachel, having powers but not telling Chloe, setting up some classic tragic irony.

Hell, maybe they could play with the concept a bit and put in an alternate ending or two depending on your decisions during the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Well in the first game we saw a butterfly come to symbolize Max's branching realities through rewinding time, aka the butterfly effect. This game appears to prominently feature a raven, which are commonly associated with prophecy in many cultures. So maybe the gimmick of this game will be seeing glimpses into the future and trying to figure out how your decisions in the present will affect them. Who knows!

Coming back to this again but the more I think about it it kind of makes sense. Max at the start of Life is Strange is insecure and socially awkward so giving her the ability to literally take back her mistakes fits with her character. Chloe, meanwhile, is impulsive and bitter about the past so her having some kind of means to predict the future would be pretty fitting as well.

Not that it'd help much considering where she is in her life at the start of the main game but it's a neat idea. Besides, it's a game about choices so they don't necessarily have to be locked into following the continuity to the letter, maybe toss in a few alternate endings to mix things up a bit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

https://twitter.com/ashly_burch/status/874344938627977216

RIP After Life Is Strange 2 : The Legend of Max's Gold.

Well that sucks, her coming back was one of the main reasons I was interested in this game. It might still be ok regardless but this isn't exactly a good sign.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm sure this is affecting quite a few games and we won't know the severity until the games near completion

Yeah, in retrospect I was kind of worried this might happen. Most of Life is Strange's cast consisted of people who were getting into voice acting for the first time, Burch was one of the few exceptions (Daniel Bounjour(Frank) had a role in The Walking Dead and Hannah Telle (Max) is a singer but I'm not sure about the rest). Still sucks though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently there's going to be a deluxe addition of LiS: Before the Storm that includes a bonus episode staring Max (though after the recent news regarding Chloe I'm not holding my breath on Hannah Telle coming back), which could be interesting.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-13-life-is-strange-prequels-max-based-bonus-episode-is-a-deluxe-edition-exclusive

As for the new footage, while defintely not Ashly doing Chloe's voice (she is apparently part of the writing team though) the replacement isn't too terrible (I can't tell if Frank's voice is still the same guy though). This doesn't look too bad so far though so it might still be worth checking out.

More details here.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 14, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

loving why? I guess they legally have to but eh

And I'm willing to bet this is just a port and they didn't bother to use the delay to actually fix some of the problems from the PC/console release (frankly I'm kind of surprised they ended up doing the handheld versions at all).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While there are plenty of new games coming out I'm looking forward to (Sonic Mania, Mario Odyssey, the Kirby Switch game, etc.), as much as I enjoyed the original I'm still a bit hesitant regarding Before the Storm.

On the one hand, it's nice that Ashly Burch is still on the writing team even if she can't reprise her role for legal reasons, the character models actually emote properly this time and with the Rewind mechanic gone this basically becomes a Telltale game where your choices actually (seem to) matter in the end.

But on the other, while not terrible the quality of the voicework seems to have taken a step down judging by the preview footage and, as I've mentioned before, this really isn't a story that needed to be told and probably won't give us anything that wasn't already explained in Life is Strange. I'll probably wait until the reviews come in before I decide to give it a shot myself. And if it sucks then hopefully the proper sequel DontNod is currently working on will end up being a little better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

The only reason to make a prequel to something is if you had a really good character that died in the original and want to see more of them without just undoing their death.

Or if the backstory to your original work was a lot more compelling than the actual work (hello, Lufia!).

This Life is Strange game seems to have a lot of issues besides just being an unwarranted prequel.

Yeah, while Chloe kind of grew on me as a character (she's a more interesting protagonist than Max, I'll give them that), playing an entire game as the person she was at the start of Life is Strange could get a bit irritating. Seeing what Rachel was like as a person could be interesting though the first game already told us all we needed to know in my opinion.

On the bright side, they have said they're keeping the multiple ending aspect from the original so that at least gives them an out if they feel like breaking from canon at some point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

prequels are no more inherently worthless than sequels imo

i'm gonna give DONTNOD the benefit of the doubt until i actually play it

How much involvement does DONTNOD actually have in Before The Storm? Last I checked it was being developed by a separate studio

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Samuringa posted:

A hundred posts about status effects being useful and nobody mentioned Valkyrie Profile

Nobody ever does :(

(It also did a prequel right by playing it straight until TIME TRAVEL happens, which kinda makes it a reverse Life is Strange)

Speaking of which, we've joked about titles before but what are some things you'd actually like to see implemented in a Life is Strange sequel?

As for me:

-Punch up the dialogue a bit to make the characters sound less like 90's stereotypes (though it does get better later on at least) or double down and make it even more ridiculous, just don't try to half-rear end it.

-Play up the supernatural element a little more (basically I want more stuff like the nightmare sequence from episode 5, only in a way that actually matters to the general plot)

-If you bring back the Rewind mechanic or something similar put some kind of limitation on it so it's less of a get out of jail free card. In the original, with a handful of exceptions (Such as Kate and the ending), you could take back pretty much every decision you made in the game. Maybe even implement some kind of combat mechanic if there's a situation where things really get out of hand.

-Related to that, have your choices not only matter in the end but actually shape the direction of the plot as well. Not sure how well this would work but having at least one alternate pathway through the game would be a good way to shake things up and add some replayability to it seeing as how in the original you were pretty much railroaded into following the same basic plot no matter how much of an rear end in a top hat you played Max as.

-Keep the multiple ending aspect but have more than two possible choices (if you think about it there is no inherently "good" ending to Life is Strange no matter which choice you pick in the end considering either way Max has to indirectly kill someone and live with the consequences from it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 28, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

It sounds fun but keep in mind it's still a score attack focused thing rather than a pure mega man deal

It's more of a full game than the original Mighty Gunvolt was at the very least and carries a lot of improvements such as infinite lives and being able to customize skills for your character. It's got the same bosses from Mighty No. 9 but their patterns, attacks, and stage layouts are different and, you know, it's actually fun to play. I'd recommend giving it a shot to be honest (though I still would have perferred a Gunvolt 3, maybe someday though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Crash 3 is great for the like 5 levels that are Crash platforming. All the gimmick levels are just unfun.

Speaking of which, aside from a graphical upgrade and the ability to play as Coco did they make any improvements to the trilogy as far as gameplay is concerned or are they all about the same?

• Locked thread