Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i'm curious about a Bethesda conference without Todd Howard or Arkane games, will be the first time we don't really get anything shown from either of those places. I'm guessing Wolfenstein and god help us, Evil Within will get the nod for previews along with whatever shitfart Elder Scrolls Online news and Quake Champions footage we get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel like every River City Ransom project released in the last 2 years has let me down immensely and I expect these to be no different. Maybe Sega will make a new Streets of Rage instead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

did NMS ever patch the game so traversing and moving around doesn't feel like you're a loving garbage can with stumpy lovely legs and a jetpack that barely gets you anywhere unless you gimp the dashing jet jump

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I always thought that Ubi made Far Cry Primal, a game where you play a prehistoric shamanistic warrior who bonds with animals and rides a bear, in order to undercut Wild, a game where you play a prehistoric shamanistic warrior who bonds with animals and rides a bear

Wild def looks way better and more fun than Primal so Ubisoft hosed up because an unreleased game still looks better than their poo poo. No idea if Wild is still in development so I hope we see it at E3 on the Sony stage.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Following a tour of Studio Mir, a fan published unauthorized photographs of confidential storyboards, character designs and sketches online."

a "fan" holding poo poo hostage from a show he's a "fan" of, jesus.

If I was producing the show I'd not only tell him to eat poo poo but I'd kill off whoever he's talking about

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

Also what are actual highlights of E3 apart for Nintendo? That jail break game, the pixel-art cyberpunk game from the gamergater dev, Ori 2, anything else?

aside from Nintendo stuff:

-Wolfenstein 2
-Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
-Shadow Of War
-Spider-Man
-Dragonball Fighter Z

I wish Devolver had more to say about Ruiner and/or Vanillaware had a trailer for 13 Sentinels but overall there's a lot more great stuff coming out.

Phantasium posted:

If people were somehow mistakenly thinking that Konami was going to turn itself around, here's an article for you.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/The-Konami-exodus

Man I disliked Konami before but this is just plain loving disgusting.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 14, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

given how every company ever gets their poo poo leaked constantly I don't see how Ubisoft wanting one loving surprise to remain under wraps is A MONSTROUS LIE. jesus, you'd think someone noted for leaking so much would understand that maybe a company just felt like saying gently caress Off, Let Us Have This One Thing.

I'm actually shocked Nintendo managed to keep the Metroids under close secrecy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

recently picked up Thumper for Switch to see what all the fuss is about. goddamn wish I picked this up sooner, what a batshit game. I actually was getting antsy thinking the Final Boss was the end of the game. Then I realized this was just world 1 of 9 and there are still new mechanics being introduced.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm replaying Harmony of Dissonance right now and it's hella good, the closest of them all to SOTN

I love all 3 of the Castlevania games. GBA really had a fantastic library when it came to both Metroid/Castlevanias, and strategy RPGS (FFTA, Knight of Lodis)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I guess I got lucky I waited for the superior GBA

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Blackfyre posted:

Wow I didn't expect them to retain the rights to Hitman

Edit: what are the chances Bethesda pick them up like Arkane after the last hitman game and for those rights

Hopefully high because Bethesda has shown while they suck at marketing, they'll just let you make whatever the gently caress you want.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Squeenix letting the Hitman IP stay with IOI is actually the most decent thing they've done in a long time. They could have easily shrugged about it and shelved the franchise, not giving a poo poo as it rots away. That they had the goodwill to let it go even after losing cash on it is a nice thing of them to do.

I think Hitman's sales being low had less to do with episodic format (which worked beautifully) and more to do with the "stats and unlocks tied to online servers" which people did not like at all. Hopefully going forward they will change that one aspect, because I have no idea why that needed to be a thing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yakuza 0 should be on some kind of Required Play list, it's my GOTY and the best narrative since MGS2: Sons of the Liberty Bell. Doesnt hurt that the fighting is fun and I love smashing people with bicycles and sofas like some jacked up hulk.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sega wait can we get all the Yakuzas and Personas on Switch, too

Really want to play with my cabaret RPG on the go

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wish I could enjoy Lisa but some of the battles are beyond bullshit

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nina posted:

I can't tell if Xenoblade is actually good or not or if everyone just plays it for the lovely british voice acting

the only things XCX has over the first Xenoblade are
--no fall damage
--a more complex if not convoluted combat and class system
--mechs, if you don't shoot yourself by the time you get them
--4-person party over 3-person

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Playing a bad game isn't like watching a bad movie where you can laugh at it for 90 minutes and be done, most of the time they're also horrible mechanically or just plain boring for hours upon hours. I can't think of a single bad game that ever encouraged me to keep playing. Well, besides Deadly Premonition.

Last Of Us comes to mind because the gameplay portions, whether it was shooting or doing endless Push A Thing "puzzles," were not what I would call fun, but the narrative is what drives things forward. I enjoyed it overall but would never ever want to play it again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looper posted:

it would've made a fantastic hbo miniseries tho

Last of Us definitely would have made a better miniseries than a game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

haveblue posted:

Ehh, depends on what you consider "interesting". It's true that you probably aren't going to find anything amazingly useful that transforms the gameplay or a "deep" hunk of content in a Serious Gaming sense, but you could find a cool looking mountain or a village tucked behind a hill or whatever. This won't impress everyone but I found taking long walks/boat rides pretty chill.

I've watched enough of the Walking Dead to know that this is absolutely not true.

I should have said specifically said HBO series, and my condolences to anyone who still watches The Walking Dead

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ironically God of War is moving completely off the QTE train just as the Spiderman trailer used them in their first gameplay trailer. I think they addressed that later on and said "the game won't be full of those" but I'm guessing whatever qtes they had, they'll probably be trying to get rid of now lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh right I mixed the two up.

I guess LOK is never getting properly revived then.

it's stuck in "IP we own but have stuffed in a locker somewhere" hell just like Bloody Roar with Konami

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SA2 is shockingly loving bad especially since it asks you to basically play the game twice over, with one third being passable sonic levels, one third being awful scavenger hunts, and the last third being braindead mech segments. looking back on that game without nostalgia glasses, it's mindblowing how popular it was when it came out

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only method to dealing with the madness in SA2 is to throw the disc out the window. SA Generations is probably the best 3D sonic I can think of.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

How's Wildlands for a "gently caress around with friends" game? $40 is still probably steeper than what I want to pay but decent coop games are few and far between.

I'd pick Helldivers over Wildlands simply because Wildlands is like a stiffer, boring version of MGSV without the good control but adding all the worst aspects of Ubisoft games

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oddium posted:

the knuckles/rogue levels own because there's only a handful of set locations so it's a speedrun and speedruns own

it's def a speedrun mainly so you can finish those levels and get them loving over with

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Beauty and the Beast Corps are the worst bosses, and possibly the worst characters, in all of the Metal Gear Solid universe

"storytime" drebin says as he wastes 20 minutes of my life with a boring and lovely exposition dump about why I should bother caring about these loving characters. In MGS1 and even 2 you had natural backstories about every boss. in 4 they just dumped them on you as clever hybrids of other bosses also sexy women.

People complain about the lack of story in MGSV but everyone should understand: after MGS4 it was the biggest breath of fresh air to just do fun poo poo and not have to get interrupted by everything that made MGS4 bad.

also my tier ranking is 3 > 2 > V > 1 > PW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4
(I have not included Revengeance because it is unfair to compare a Platinum game to these games)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there's only like 20 guards I think in the entire game of MGS1 which is pretty crazy. You weren't really getting into combat very often unless there was a boss so it's a good balance of narrative and fighting. Really wish Twin Snakes hadn't been developed by a madman or we could have had ports of that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I beat the story mode of Birthdays in 6 1/2 hours. There are some individual challenges, as well as the free play goal of filling your creature dex. Manipulating the terrain gets worse as the world expands each 'episode', because while your editing cursor expands as you level, the speed at which you actually raise and lower terrain never does. There's an animation every time you raise and lower blocks so you cannot smoothly carve out rivers or anything like that.

What the gently caress was with the ending though. You finally evolve humans and recreate civilization. You return to your house but you don't recognize the person in there at all. You shake your fist and yell to your robot guide "this isn't what we agreed on!!!" Roll credits.

LOL that is loving awesome

Sakurazuka posted:

Man Wolfenstein 2 comes out the same day as Mario Odyssey. Gonna be a good day.

looks like Bethesda's run of loving over their own games continues because releasing the same day as Odyssey and probably with no reviews in advance is a deathwish

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 26, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that list is almost exactly like my "dream list" for an SNES Classic which is impressive as gently caress. Only thing they forgot was DKC2. gently caress Dream Course we need DKC2.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The amount of morons being all "what a HORRIBLE value" at this is hilarious, the games list is fantastic, many of them regularly go for as much as this entire thing costs by themselves:

maybe, just maybe it's a bad value because 1) these will be in ridiculously short supply and 2) why not just them on the loving Switch, especially when most if not all of these are on WiiU or Wii already. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why people aren't fans of this

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

maybe wait until they release them before assuming they will make the same mistake as the NES classic?

lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I've heard that the absolute endgame gets kinda hinky but there's a long way to go before that, lots of fun to be had. I was thinking of picking it up myself!

I love Darkest Dungeon, it's a great pickup for 10bux right now. I think I had like 160 ingame weeks (some of it carried over from Early Access) just constantly doing missions and upgrading poo poo. I never beat the Darkest Dungeon because I took a long break then made a second file for the DLC stuff, but it's actually a very low-stress game for me to play since there's no real hard failstate (unless you do hardcore mode) and it's always fun for me to boot it up, do 1 or 2 missions, upgrade a thing, and then close it for a while. If my whole team wipes, whatever, you can hire similar leveled guys now when you upgrade the roster stagecoach so it's easier than it was at launch to make up for lost time.

I can see why it can and has driven people insane ("50 hours logged, Negative review on Steam gently caress this poo poo" is common for this game) but to me I never felt like anything was a grind. Whatever I got to do or accomplish, I did, and even if you don't conquer the entire game it's still a lot of fun to beat the various bosses and work your way up to them. Yes there's a shitload of RNG and yes you will get bad luck but there's a lot of upgrades and roster variants to mitigate a lot of the misfortune. It's absolutely worth the tenbux it's at right now. They even added a Radiant mode for people who want all the normal challenge but also would like to have a run be more like 30 hours instead of like 60 (it gives you more monies/artifacts so you can upgrade poo poo faster.)

wizard on a water slide posted:

Slippy: I can't wait to acquire a SNES Classic at the market-reasonable price of $80 and enjoy gaming.

Falco: *too busy composing angry letter to Nintendo to be reached for comment*

As if we needed any more reason to be convinced of Slippy's naivety

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm waiting to be disappointed by the N64 Classic which will be missing all the Rare games and will forget Ogre Battle 64. Jesus what would an N64 Mini even look like.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

now that I think about it, there's no way I'd pay for an n64 classic. lots of those games are bad or run like poo poo and have been remade way better on portables (the zeldas)
'
a GBA classic though, that I would pay for no questions asked

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

people often buy bad or middling games like mass effect, calladoots or tom clancy games for sixty bucks but somehow 20 bucks more for guaranteed 21 top-tier games is outlandish

all those games suck but at least I'll be able to buy them for many many years. can't say that about the snesbox 2017

tap my mountain posted:

Aidyn Chronicles :downs:

Nightmare N64 Classic would be poo poo like Aidyn Chronicles, Dual Heroes, Superman 64, Starcraft 64, Batman Beyond, War Gods, Chameleon Twist, Hybrid Heaven, Blues Brothers, Starshot

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if all the games were also packed with a DLC code thing for your Switch that'd be nice

but won't happen because VC will never happen

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

raditts posted:

So if I'm understanding this response to the SNES classic correctly:

- it's dumb because it's got a bunch of old games you've played before and could be easily pirated
- it's also dumb because at 21 games, it doesn't have enough of the old games you've played before and could easily pirate, or doesn't have all the games you specifically want
- and this is coming from a forum full of people that regularly and proudly buy a game multiple times, at full price, to have it on whatever console you're currently playing the most

kinda sounds like some serious "the food is terrible, and the portions are too small" type poo poo

I like how you conveniently left out the facts that it's a thing that will pretty much only be sold for like 3 months and will be extremely hard to acquire,

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Are you kidding? I'd trade Kirby's Dream Course for Tetris Attack in a heartbeat.

I can't say I'd do the same for Earthbound/ Castlevania 4 / Punch Out, especially when the replacements include a generic soccer game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't have a problem with that Best of E3 list though I always laugh thinking about how Evolve swept E3 "awards" and then cratered so loving hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

isn't DMC3 technically also a prequel?

all the Assassin's Creed games are technically prequels, I guess

• Locked thread