Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Is Valkyria cheaper budget wise than Star Ocean 5?

Guy Mann posted:

Variations on that tech have been a thing for a long time: Fallout 3, OG Mass Effect, KotOR, Morrowind...I'm pretty sure even Deus Ex used it despite the mouth flaps being so primitive that it was just three or four key frames with no tweening.

Yeah I can't remember what person it was on Deus Ex (probably just Warren Spector) but I remember them being super proud of that tech even though it looks kinda silly now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/879780285318955008

hell yeah

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Try the Mario Maker one if you want to play the most infuriating thing ever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you gotta hold out for the shameless rear end game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Why is the new super-cutesy moe blob wonder boy remake harder than the SMS original lol.

You talking about The Dragon's Trap or the other one?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Nah I mean the original proper wonder boy, before the series got its rights split and became a series about medieval knights and the awful adventure island series. I had Wonder Boy on my SMS when I was a little kid, and it was like the only good game I had for years. I mastered the h*ck out of that game, and was able to clear it again just 2 years ago. This new one where your cave-girlfriend is Hatsune Miku is actually tougher than the original game. It's not like crazy hard or anything, but the level design is a lot less forgiving, and the controls are just floaty enough that it's easy to mess up. They also added a lot more instant-reaction bullshit, specifically in the boss fights.

Yeah fish like to fly at you without a chance to react.

It was basically perfect for me though, considering my experience was with Adventure Island and that game is a far bigger shitbag about it's difficulty.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Give me the breath of fire character in your fighting game capcom.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

It would have to be Bleu because she's the same one in all of them.

I imagine it would be one of the Ninas because it needs to be somebody that you can have a passing knowledge of knowing nothing about the series and also they're not putting in another character named Ryu in their fighting game with a Ryu.

Or the more accurate answer of nobody.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Remember when Soul Calibur 5 had star wars characters and Ezio?

no 'cuz the star wars characters were in 4.

Ezio was one of the better guest characters they had, especially with Venice Rooftops for his stage theme.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Oh I'm confusing him with the hooded star wars unleashed OC

that fucker completely ruined arcade mode in 4 since you always had to fight him and he was poo poo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Can also be said about the FFVII remake itself.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's weird because they've done nothing with it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looper posted:

they're just going to release two episodes and then cancel the third due to disappointing sales

It'll be just like that time my little cousin broke disc number 2!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

all turn based RPGs should be as fast or faster than the first two Suikodens and their attack animations all going off at once.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

i think chrono cross's battles were even worse, maybe 2 frames per second. actually maybe it's a fraction of a frame

It's pretty variable and changes depending on what's going on.

One thing I noticed replaying it is that it does the camera pan around the area for each battle while it's loading with a ton of effects going off, and then turns all the extra effects off once your party loads in so it can actually run it. There are actually a couple battle fields where you can get it going near 60 but it all tanks the second you cast a spell or do much of anything and that's rare as hell.

What makes it frustrating is that the game's menu run at a higher framerate, higher resolution, and has better models for the characters on the status screen that includes slightly better shadows. It really just came out at a poo poo time and should have been on PS2.

Lurdiak posted:

but people who like Chrono Cross just puzzle me.

It's great because you can skip the trash battles and the boss fights are mostly fun puzzles and the whole thing has a beautiful aesthetic.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I hate the aesthetic of the game, it's like a theater troupe had to create the illusion of a full fledged world overnight using only circus tents and garment.

well that's just mean to skelly

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I wanna say shadow hearts had some that mattered because everybody had the potential to be overpowered in that game and if you didn't do your buffs right, you could get absolutely wrecked, but if you did do your buffs right, you could stunlock even bosses.

Between the Rage Spell, the Fire Monster transformation's double damage buff, and Lucia's guaranteed critical and a Seventh Key, I think the first attack I did directly against the final boss in Shadow Hearts 2 did 80% of its health.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also in the recent Tales games they've made it so that if you're afflicted with an ailment, you can't heal any HP.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Though correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there that Infinite Key or whatever it was called and you could combine it with the one Judgement Ring type that only has 1 area you have to hit and it just autocompletes the rest for you and if you combined the two then you automatically would just hit the enemy until they died?

I can't remember if that was a thing you could actually do or just something people were hoping you could do.

There's something like that but I don't remember which game it exactly was in or what things you needed to do to get it. I know I never did it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Healbot posted:

I wish the people behind Golden Sun instead continued making Shining Force games.

time for a sequel to Beyond the Beyond, oh wait they made 3 more

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I think they remade lufia 2 for ds? as an action rpg? how did that turn out?

(considering I know nothing about it I assume: poorly)

you are correct, sir.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk I think I only played that choroQ tank game where you can eventually make your tank fly and shoot lasers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm more of a mech person.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

if you're some plebe, maybe

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Palpek posted:

The whole point of a tank is that it's a team effort. Mechs are usually all about an individual. So while superficially a mech may look like a walking tank - it's a different concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZv5Z2Iz_s

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I have forced myself awake several times because I was convinced I had dreamed a great novel/movie/short story idea. Then I wake up and rush to the notepad and it's basically "Beef..... stew".

Like flaming globes, Sigmund! Like flaming globes!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

sounds like he... bandicooted the market

wait, poo poo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Wasn't this last year"s title?

heck, I'm not entirely uncertain we didn't use the current June thread name last June and it just got changed at some point because I feel like it I heard that pun more than a year ago

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

huh, for some reason this machine smells like unwashed taint sweat

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hope they turn crash into a gta ripoff

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Square Enix's philosophy is Agni's Philosophy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean isn't a phoenix where Enix got their name from in the first place?

at least I think a few of their old games made a phoenix part of the ultimate weapon in their game, anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

I hope the guy who did the cool MGS character art gets more work.

He just did some artwork for Call of Duty.

• Locked thread