Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Journalism in general is hell, especially right now.

Kotaku doesn't always follow this guideline but in general their policy is that they leak poo poo that's of interest to their audience, and it's okay if people aren't happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think the issue is less that PR lies and more that games journos report PR stuff as fact. All the articles saying BG&E2 wasn't going to be at E3 should have instead made it clear that this was just Michel Ancel talking and not a fact.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's honestly really interesting that Michel Ancel just randomly lied about that. There's a lot that's very weird about BG&E2 right now and I'm dying to know what the actual state of the game is.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

The dude just wanted to surprise people.

If he wanted to surprise people then why did he post about the game's existence on Instagram? This would have been a much bigger shock if we didn't already know that development was spinning up again.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nina posted:

What if it was actually a fairly last minute decision to show it now instead of at say GDC or such. I don't think it's impossible

Yea I thought that too. I wonder what changed?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yakuza and Persona are 'on that list' of games Sega wants to bring to PC. It's not confirmation but this is good news, I was thinking that there might be an agreement between Sega and Sony that kept those games off of PC but apparently not.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nina posted:

I'm really worried now. Esp hearing how they're pulling off an FFXV and completely resetting development

I'm not worried just because I wasn't really counting on a BG&E sequel anyway. Lots of other good games to play instead.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

I won't pretend to understand the nuances of situations like this but didn't SE wholly own IO? Is it normal for a studio to just go independent in a case like this?

It is weird and it very much sounds like SE could have very easily hosed everyone over if they wanted to. I'm very happy that they didn't.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheToiletDuck/status/862660057095450624

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

yea this

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

I went to the Shengen Museum which is built on the spot where the EU was formed and in their little kiosks they have one dedicated to contraband material confiscated at the Belgian border and the centerpiece is a stack of bootleg copies of GUN for PS2

Did you grab one?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

It doesn't, but I'd assume that list includes puyo puyo Tetris and the valkyria games.

they can't bring ppt to pc, ubi has exclusive licences :(

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I would be less angry if tetris ultimate wasn't garbage.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

oh poo poo there's a Tetris: The Grand Master block hell yea

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

oddium posted:

nier automata one handed...............

I thought he might be playing with the auto chips but of course not. legend

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Happy Fathers Day to all forum moderators

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm curious to see if there's gonna be any differences between the JP and NA versions of Xenoblade 2. After all the backlash they might be keeping everything the same this time.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

I get that youtube channel devoted to video game censorship on my recommendations once in awhile and it always looks like the most pathetic bullshit imaginable. Like we live in a world where some people are STILL seething with rage that labzero cut some panty shots from Skullgirls.

My favorite is people mad that they changed the name of Satan in Puyo Puyo to Dark Prince. There's a 12 minute video about this.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CJacobs posted:

They should not have changed this

Tru but I just change his name in my head and everything's fine.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

vermin posted:

Could somebody talk me down from buying Civilization Beyond Earth? I don't want the buyer's remorse

lol, whyyyy are you even having this thought.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

vermin posted:

You ever just like buying things and throwing them in a dumpster?

no

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It would be one thing if BE was a truly bad game but everything about it just seems competent but boring. The worst possible combination.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It seems all right so far. I discovered the jump attack, which is cool. The weapon break/inventory system still seems dumb though

Remember to throw your weapons when they're about the break, and don't get stuck on just your favorite weapon type! You get super durable weapons later on and can expand your weapon inventory very shortly.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

haveblue posted:

Zelda is the first game I've played in a long time that really made me feel like I was exploring and discovering instead of going down a checklist someone else assembled of preplaced stuff. I mean, I know that was what I was doing, but Zelda disguised it much better.

I played HZD after Zelda and I kept on heading for places off in the distance that looked cool, but had nothing to do once I got there :(

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Snak posted:

...did custom textures get removed from minecraft or something?

I made a sick tron texture pack once. Well, I didn't finish it.

There's basically two versions of minecraft, the old java one and the new one they've been porting to everything on earth. I think the new one has more limits on mods.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I dislike all these fragmented subscription models that end up being nearly as expensive as a cable plan just to watch like three shows. It's why I haven't watched American Gods either, I'll just wait until they are on Blu-Ray and I can rent the discs

I signed up for Showtime just for Twin Peaks and I'm glad I did because it's loving amazing. That said, wow everything else on there is incredibly bad. Did you know that Andrew Dice Clay has a semi-autobiographical series called Dice? Well now you know.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Man that Sony E3 conference was probably the worst Ive ever seen.

It was really bad but it was so much worse during the waggle years.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love how the big finale to the Sony conference was a Spiderman trailer that made everyone go "that's just like Arkham". And the big end to that, the reveal that was supposed to get you super hype, was to bring in a character from the comics that most people didn't even recognize lol.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a good game but that trailer wasn't super hype.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Holy gently caress nex machina is the best bullethell twinstick i've ever played

It's so good!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nina posted:

Sonic Adventure games are weird because they're jank as all hell but somehow I don't have a bad time playing them? Like there's method to their madness and some backwards appeal to the layers and layers of cheese

There is no method you're just insane

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait for Death Stranding to be horrible so I have definitive evidence of my "Hideo Kojima as George Lucas" theory.

It's gonna be really good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

It was always so weird to me that they put so much work into amiibo stuff just for animal crossing when only a few of the games could take advantage of it and one of said games was a feature that should have been included in an entirely new animal crossing and another compatible game is mario party but worse

they eventually added amiibo to new leaf tho and it's real good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah but it felt like a damage control update. Like when an MMO or any sort of online PC game experience goes free-to-play or "free-to-play".

I mean it satiated my hunger for more Animal Crossing at least, but a lot of other people didn't seem to realize getting that substantial update last fall basically meant we wouldn't be seeing an Animal Crossing for Switch for a good while, or at least not any time this year.

If the choice was a big cool update for the 3DS and getting the Animal Crossing for the switch a year earlier, I would definitely choose the 3DS update. In general I'd rather play an AC game on the 3DS than on the Switch, but I'm still curious about how they'll mix it up.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I've definitely heard of blurays loving up after being stored in binders. I keep mine in cases and I hope everyone follows Nintendo's lead and we get little cards from now on.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Well I'm glad I'm learning this years after blu-rays have been a thing and not as a giant loving warning on the case of every blu-ray considering wallets were sold for years and are still available.

lol I don't think it's that dire

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol I guess we really are at the "BotW is overrated" part of the cycle.

The game does take a while to click with some folks. A big part of it is that you have to accept that things aren't always gonna go your way and roll with it. Getting a critical hit when your weapon breaks helps with that a lot.

Oh and the towers do start out kinda slow but there's a bazzilion ways to make those less of a pain lol. They're way better than the ubi version because you get to mark your own points of interest from the top! Remember that there's almost always lots of different ways of solving problems, if what you're doing isn't fun try something else!

And take time to talk to people! All of the non-spoken text was really really good and did a lot in filling in the edges.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Also if you're playing with the mini-map on turn that poo poo off in the settings. If you're just running from waypoint to waypoint you're gonna miss a lot.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

mutata posted:

I see a lot of complaining about inventory systems. I swear I've seen someone complain about every game to ever have one! What are some games that have good inventory systems?

Resident Evil 4

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Every game that doesn't have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sproggiwood is great and I love that those devs went on to make the insane Caves of Qud

• Locked thread