Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Why the gently caress would anybody spend so much money on a Criterion Blu-ray of Metropolis featuring restored footage that people thought had been lost forever? That movie's like a hundred years old and for that much money you could get three months of Netflix and watch tons more movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Mother 3 confirmed for release in America on the GBA Mini in 2022.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

There are games composed entirely of infographics, somebody needs to make a clip art game next.

corn in the bible posted:

why did team ico give trico a butthole, i dont want to see trico's butthole

Well where else is trico's poop supposed to come out of?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

wizard on a water slide posted:

pets show you their butt holes all the time, it's just another part of the game's simulationist quality

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Really Pants posted:

if you were 1/8th Nintendo64 you'd just be a Nintendo

Nintendoctoroon

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqX1wxaB7I4

I really love what Polygon has become.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

When I see a fine honey at the club

Updating Barret from Mr. T to Wesley Snipes is one of the changes I'm really looking forward to seeing play out in the remake, for better or worse.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

Stefan Stefansson has gone into the final stages of pancreatic cancer and doesn't have much time left before he dies :(

What a terrible way to be going

Lazy Town was my first real exposure to the fact that pedophiles are distressingly common online with the that way dudes would openly drool over the pink-haired girl and make "ironic" pedobear memes but it's hard to fault the wacky scandanavian gymnasts who just wanted to get kids to exercise for that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The original SA screenshot LP of Drakengard is up there with KotOR2 as a Let's Play That Matters, breaking down how batshit the story is and deciphering the awkward censorship of the US release without having to actually play the game was a valuable public service.

Endorph posted:

drakengard is a really hosed up game and ends with a bunch of giant babies killing everyone.

Giant babies with a mouth full of adult teeth, which is such an awesomely creepy, subtle detail.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you're gonna be as cheap as the new Valkyria is why not just go Skies of Arcadia style and forgo lip flaps entirely in favor of a bunch of expressive flat hand-drawn faces? That's literally the entire reason the anime style even exists in the first place, take advantage of it!

corn in the bible posted:

that already exists and it's how they made the mouth flaps for mass effect andromeda, so

Variations on that tech have been a thing for a long time: Fallout 3, OG Mass Effect, KotOR, Morrowind...I'm pretty sure even Deus Ex used it despite the mouth flaps being so primitive that it was just three or four key frames with no tweening.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Regardless of sexuality or explicitness I don't mind if something is pandering so long as it's done in a way that doesn't negatively impact the game. Something like Bastard Bonds is explicitly sexualized but even with the prison colony setting and big-dicked demon hunks it's not really exploitative or rapey and they even let you play as a lady despite the game obviously focusing on gay relationships and beefcake. Meanwhile something like Read Only Memories goes out of it's way to be representative and accommodating to different sexualities and identities but does it in a way that actively hurts the narrative by completely defanging the narrative and removes player choice in favor turning every character into a series of chirping text dumps with the exact same voice.

Or for a completely non-sexually example, how Tales from the Borderlands is happy to pander to fans of the series by letting Handsome Jack have tons of extra dialogue and flavor text through your cybernetic eye but lets everyone else tell him to gently caress off and enjoy the game without it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Toad was so cool before Mario Sunshine gave him that voice.

Gruff Brooklyn Toad is actually the best, same with Mario and Luigi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pq6X8UCgqc&t=338s

The Japanese version of Mario Kart 64 has different voice acting for several other characters, Japanese Wario is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-pyMhUB6I4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I too still vividly remember the details of and am bitter about an argument about sexism in video games that happened before Mitt Romney ran for president to the point where I am having shower arguments about it right now in this thread.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Remember that time Penny Arcade tried to make an episodic work of fiction based on a steampunk version of the 1920s full of robots? You know, the one that somehow managed to rope in a relatively experienced and beloved genre fixture yet still bombed and was effectively cancelled after two episodes?

Well, it's happening again. In TV form.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Remember that time when EA made a Marvel vs. fighting game but instead of licensing another universe for them to fight they just made up a bunch of new, terrible superheros of their own? That was weird.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
All this talk of JRPG battle systems just makes me appreciate how much Undertale's combat system owns bones. Any one of its gimmicks (enemies acting differently based on what other monsters are in the battle with them, the WarioWare defense minigames, the golf swing meter for attacks, the meta elements like enemies taking away certain options or even using the interface to damage you, getting to use little adventure game logic puzzles to win fights peacefully) would be great on its own, and it's also the rare small numbers RPG that actually handles balance well.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

Mario rpg also owns

It's a great game but the sprites have not aged well at all, emulating it on my phone it looked like a mess and I can't even imagine how bad all those lo-res prerendered sprites are gonna look in high definition on the SNES Mini.

Also gently caress those isometric jumping puzzles forever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I recently found out about David Lynch's aborted multimedia adventure game Woodcutters from Fiery Ships and it sounds like it would have been amazing.

David Lynch posted:

It was called... Woodcutters from Fiery Ships... Ceratin events have happened in a bungalow which is behind another in Los Angeles. And then suddenly the woodcutters arrive and they take the man who we think has witnessed these events, and their ship is... uh, silver, like a 30`s kind of ship, and the fuel is logs. And they smoke pipes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you mind used copies at all? The used hardback copies look pretty cheap!

I love how amazingly cheap physical books are now so long as you don't mind buying them used and/or waiting a couple of weeks for them to arrive. It's rad as hell that I can look up almost any book on Amazon and be able to buy it for 99 cents, and half the time I forget I bought the drat thing so when it shows up in my mailbox it's like a present from Dying Media Format Santa Claus.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
GTA: Vice City's tanks ruled because you could turn the turret backwards and hold down the fire button and the recoil would propel it forward as you drove. And the effect was cumulative so as long as you didn't crash you could wind up zipping across the map at light speed.

You could even combine it with the flying cars code!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

an actual dog posted:

It's way better than the underwater one but not by much...

I loved the underwater level back in the day, the gimmick of having infinite bombs and using them to light up the area in front of you was a cool wrinkle. Shame that the framerate chugged so badly, though.

The sea level that was a mild stealth level by requiring you to shootout the spotlights was good too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Maybe we should lead by example and stop wasting time paying attention to Le Minecraft Babybillionaire everytime he tries to be edgy for Twitter attention.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
July: open beta for August

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

Square: alright alright alright, we'll remake everyone's favorite ps1 classic final fantasy 7, but we're gonna make the gameplay totally different and split it into multiple releases, ultimately taking years to hit the shelves

Naughty dog: huh? oh yeah here's crash 1. uh sure have 2 and 3 while you're here

They've re-released Final Fantasy VII like there times in the past console generation.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Square Enix needs a Square PhoEnix Down!!!

This company are sick.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Erg posted:

July Games Chat: Please stop calling each other pedos

I wonder if ADTRW has a chat thread that's mostly people talking about video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
e. wrong thread

• Locked thread