Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Really Pants posted:

how do you pronounce "xrd"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_consonant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Colonel posted:

the running theme i've noticed with unreal is that i generally have a good time with any map that isn't designed by myscha the sled dog

every map generally has a decent flow and isn't too hard to navigate, with even sunspire having a pretty simple rule to follow of just always looking for the next path higher up, but every map this dude designed has been the worst, most loving confusing and samey-looking garbage

I really liked the maps that tried to be a real huge place with the critical path threaded through it, but yeah, they can be a little much without any kind of navigation assistance. Bluff Eversmoking is still great though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I don't know what Flavour Nexus is so I'm just gonna go ahead and assume it's a Guy Fieri MMO.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Which game has the biggest file size (that article says Gears of War 4 is 120GB lol)

I hate it because my PS4 is only 500GB and a bunch of games are like 40-50+GB now. I wish buying physical saved space but I think the disc just installs the game and it's the same size as the digital download basically. idk if the disc is even doing anything after that

After install the disk is not doing anything except confirming that you (or at least someone) paid for the copy you're playing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

I really have never understood why people like EYE. It's like you're playing a video game version of a fever dream.

Some people are just into that sort of thing. See also Suda 51.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best decision Destiny ever made was to prevent voice chat between matchmade randoms. Only players who mutually agree to it can hear each other, which makes it more or less impossible to get screamed at if you don't want to and don't go to the trouble of opting in to public voice. You still see the occasional lonely "xxxWeedNazi420xxx has joined the public chat channel" message, but hardly ever more than one per game so they're still just screaming into the void.

The first time I played Overwatch one guy on my team wouldn't stop whistling and it took far too long for me to figure out how to mute him, weird since the rest of the game is so slick.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good times with dear old dad, hanging out on a chunk of concrete falling out of the sky and trying to kill each other with laser satellites and office towers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFGTJTlozvI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have changed his name to Hercule imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

vermin posted:

You ever want to play a game you've only heard terrible things about?

Yeah but, like, a 2 hour movie, not a huge epic 4X game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Zelda is the first game I've played in a long time that really made me feel like I was exploring and discovering instead of going down a checklist someone else assembled of preplaced stuff. I mean, I know that was what I was doing, but Zelda disguised it much better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

I'm calling the game police.

No point, they aren't allowed to view the download page.

vvvvvvvvv I got kicked from the training mode by spending too long browsing the hero profiles.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 19, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

BOTW is literally the only game ever that made me feel like that.

I can think of two others:

Minecraft, where it's literally true since the entire world is procedurally generated.

Kerbal Space Program, where just getting to a new piece of terrain at all feels like a massive accomplishment. The peak of my playing also happened during a period when the game gave you zero guidance and just let you loose to build whatever and fly it wherever purely for your own entertainment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

That doesn't really for me. All it does is let me know that it's basically impossible for there to be anything interesting to discover since it's all just generated anyway.

Ehh, depends on what you consider "interesting". It's true that you probably aren't going to find anything amazingly useful that transforms the gameplay or a "deep" hunk of content in a Serious Gaming sense, but you could find a cool looking mountain or a village tucked behind a hill or whatever. This won't impress everyone but I found taking long walks/boat rides pretty chill.

DLC Inc posted:

Last of Us definitely would have made a better miniseries than a game

I've watched enough of the Walking Dead to know that this is absolutely not true.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Minecraft benefits from being less representational, it lets the visible aspect correspond exactly to the manipulated aspect.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I mean, it makes it WYSIWYG. You pick up a cube, you get the cube in your inventory and a cube-shaped hole in the world. You put it back down, you get the same cube you picked up. You don't get a lump with smoothed edges or randomized details or blurred boundaries trying to merge with what it's next to or whatever people imagine when they say it should look "better". And doing this with geometry more or less necessitates equally simple textures. A photorealistic perfect cube of dirt or rock would look even more bizarre than a pixelated cartoon perfect cube of dirt or rock.

Smaller cubes might look better but the 1-meter size means that large-scale construction is faster and easier, if they were smaller it would take that much longer to build something substantial.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

Yeah but dragon quest builders did literally the exact same thing but didn't look like rear end is my point.

OK, I hadn't actually looked at DQ Builders before and yeah it does look good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I did enjoy the gradual dawning holy poo poo they're ACTUALLY DOING THIS FOR REALSIES feeling from the BG&E2 trailer (even if the chances the game is finished and comes out and is good remain low).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

Why? They still haven't shown any gameplay, previous trailers for the sequel showed more than this one. One of the most fishy things that can happen to a game stuck in development hell is a CG trailer.

Well, yeah, that feeling didn't last long beyond the trailer itself, but it's still nice to hear from it for the first time in 9 years. If it's a poison pill I hope it succeeds at that too.

There's a behind-the-scenes video floating around with in-engine footage so it's not like the project doesn't exist at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

The Beyond Good and Evil 2 trailer just made me want a full movie like that trailer instead of an actual game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcIlQFPbPnM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ostentatious posted:

what does 'powered by pc technology' mean anyway isnt every console powered by pc technology

The Switch is powered by mobile technology!

The others are at least slightly customized, Atari probably means that they're literally PCs with off-the-shelf parts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

Beat rez infinite. The new area is drop dead awesome.

Now do it in VR :getin:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waroduce posted:

my buddy has one of the original PS4's im thinking about taking off his hands for like $150. is there anything wrong or lovely or limiting about the original ps4? Is it worth it to spring for a newer model? if so...why?

The launch PS4 is worse than the Slim in these ways:
-Louder
-Worse wifi (not that the slim is necessarily good but the launch model is really bad)
-Sometimes the capacitive buttons malfunction and cause annoying problems like spontaneous disk eject

$150 is a bargain though, especially if you don't have a 4K TV.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can see ROTTR to 1080p60 on a Pro but then you get graphics equivalent to a non-pro.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Honestly surprised nobody has said Knack yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

rocket league
destiny
titanfall 2

maybe:
horizon zero dawn
uncharted 4
prey

I love Destiny but there is no universe in which it's a stronger recommendation than those three. Especially now that it's been basically put out to pasture and the sequel comes out in three months.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

One day, Reboot will get a proper ending.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

Your cat looks like my cat only much smaller.

I got a big ol' fat cat is what I'm saying.

I dunno, we're gonna need some evidence of this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Seize those cheetos

They're radicool

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Surely the patents on that should be expiring soon?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It may end up being a good game but it'll never be a good use of the Metal Gear IP.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

Why not? Like is it any more a poor use of the IP than a game where you play as a cyborg ninja cutting robots in half

That sort of thing happened in the earlier games, you just get to control it now.

quote:

or a collectable card game?

True, I've never played the Acid games. But here it's too blatantly obvious that they slapped a valuable name on an otherwise unrelated project.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My commute used to take me past Federal Hall and sometimes I'd look into the alley where president solidus made his last stand and remember the good times

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Alley? I thought it was on top of the building? (I only watched the game)

Yeah, you may be right, I think the alley was occupied by bits of Arsenal Gear. It had to be on the roof so he could fall near the statue.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One of the classic symptoms of PTSD is an uncontrollable urge to become a sexy murder cyborg, check the DSM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

I like Deus Ex's inventory tetris

I like RE4's inventory tetris, especially trying to make room for a fish larger than a shotgun because the merchant will buy it for like 3000

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
First person Uncharted would be a close-up view of a brick wall 90% of the time.

First person Platinum game :barf:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Riddick game did good first-person melee

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chumbler posted:

Wait I thought Star Citizen was releasing .mp4s of spaceships now rather than .jpgs. Surely they are 99% done?!?

an mp4 is a batch of jpgs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

i think this is an okay time to remind everyone that Discordian UK band The KLF (aka The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu aka The Timelords) burned one million pounds of british money (that they had made off their hit singles)

so i mean, compared to that, what's 80 bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Leaked video of GameCube Classic prototype

• Locked thread