Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DJ Commie posted:

I ran one through a Noco Genius in conditioning mode, and it seems to have come back. I'm less optimistic about the Yellowtop, its life has been rough even before this.
It's a bit of a bodge, but "jump" it from a good battery and start the conditioner off on that, that's what I do with the "my, that's a funny-looking housebrick" cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have five yellow tops that I keep on a smart tender, and two have swollen/exploded/vented egg fart smell after just a year and have been replaced. And this is with a ctek charger tender that has done nothing wrong otherwise.

I think Optima batteries are dogshit now.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkfmrhLUPlo

Wasn't she a poster here? E55 AMG with hand controls sounds awfully familiar.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure she is/was, yeah. I can't imagine there's too many hand control AMGs out there.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I think Optima batteries are dogshit now.

Hasn't this been the consensus since Optima/Johnson Controls shut down the US factory in 2009?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Johnson Controls makes those batteries? They also make Air Conditioners that no one likes! :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

opengl128 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkfmrhLUPlo

Wasn't she a poster here? E55 AMG with hand controls sounds awfully familiar.

was she the lady that couldnt stop talking about speeding all the time everywhere?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

rdb posted:

And all of this is such a first world problem that its wrong to even rant about it, and that adds to the misery to the point where it kinda boils over.

Flying in the modern age is so loving miserable if you're a big dude. I have driven 18 hours to avoid a 3 hour plane ride on Delta, because being six and a half feet tall and overweight means I'll be drat near crippled the day after from ramming my bad knee into the seat in front of me.

NM's got it right, Southwest are the only air carrier I'll willingly fly these days. They don't charge me $50 to check a suitcase, and haven't succumbed to shrinking their legroom the way AA and Delta have.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Got a dude on the hook for the Mustang wheels. I may actually get rid of these fuckers!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i might've accidentally bought an aw11 that's been sitting for 5 years.

it's legitimately rust-free which is why i pulled the trigger. like i checked every inch of it and there's literally nothing other than a small amount of surface rust under the trunk carpeting.

400 bucks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man this coding class is an elective, why is it more intuitive and enjoyable than the vibes class I need to graduate? I thought coding was supposed to be an indecipherable and arcane majyyk.

Vibes exam tomorrow got me hella nervous to where I can't even focus on studying for it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Urgh something I ate in the last 24hrs has seriously disagreed with me.

Im off work today and seriously starting to work out the logistics of how to use a cloud to wipe my arse with cos toilet paper feels like 40 grit right about now

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hey, my back popped during my deadlifts, so I cut my workout short. Feels a little stiff, but no pain. Not like previous back injuries, like when I adjusted the bedskirt and it popped and I couldn't move it hurt so bad...

Wife loves the vending machine car a bunch. I dig it, too. It's a 2014 Hyundai Tucson SE, so fancy with heated leather seats.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

Man this coding class is an elective, why is it more intuitive and enjoyable than the vibes class I need to graduate? I thought coding was supposed to be an indecipherable and arcane majyyk.

Vibes exam tomorrow got me hella nervous to where I can't even focus on studying for it.

Coding is fun and great until it's 2a the morning before your deliverable is delivered and you can't figure out why your code compiles fine on this machine but not that one and also why the hell did you use a goddamn motherfucking switch statement to handle that you loving dipshit

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

But I digress

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ferremit posted:

Im off work today and seriously starting to work out the logistics of how to use a cloud to wipe my arse with cos toilet paper feels like 40 grit right about now

Baby wipes

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey Rhyno your message box is full I'm trying to give you money for things :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rdb, you have my sympathies. :glomp:

Do CRJs have something like an exit row that you'd find on a larger plane? Wouldn't help with width, but would help with legroom.

cursedshitbox posted:

And they fly those goddamn things like fighters.

Goddamn you aren't kidding. Anytime I fly anything other than Southwest I'm wondering why they're taking so long to climb or descend. Southwest pilots don't waste a goddamn second getting up to altitude or getting down to the ground.

I've been on Southwest for probably 99% of my flights, so the 45 degree climb/descent just seems normal and everyone else has me mentally screaming "WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG"

Ferremit posted:

That was me all day yesterday. Today wasn't nearly as bad, even managed to work a bit today. But I still feel pretty crappy. Didn't even drag myself out of bed until 2pm today. :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 29, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Hey Rhyno your message box is full I'm trying to give you money for things :colbert:

I emptied it and PMed you!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Drunk and updating my resume at midnight. I'm still employed but after only 11 months I'm pretty fed up with my current job and ready to move on. Which is saying something, I've never quit a job before. But I'm only going to quit if I get something new, I HATE being unemployed.

As many of you know I'm a single dad, I have my daughter thursday to sunday every week. Everywhere I've worked for the last 10 years has been very accommodating in terms of me wanting a weird schedule. My daughter gets out of school at 2:30, so all I ask for is to leave at 2:00 on Friday, and I work extra the rest of the week to make up for it. When I started here they said the schedule is flexible, which was great because they didn't budge at all on salary or any other benefit I tried to negotiate. The two owners don't like to be involved in details so they left my schedule up to the engineering manager, who had no problem with my request.

Fast forward 10 months, and they fire my manager. One of the owners has to temporarily manage us, so he finally notices that I've been leaving at 2:00 on fridays and decides on a whim that it's unacceptable. So now I have to loving find someone to take care of my daughter every friday for basically three hours, because they force my commute into rush hour which will add an hour to it. So now instead of getting home around 4:00 on fridays it'll be around 7 pm. And they can't give me a reason outside of "we just want it that way".

The dumb part is that I only need this schedule for another year, after which my daughter will be able to drive herself. Of course it's more than this one issue, it's a lovely place to work in general so having a couple little perks made it tolerable. Well it just got a lot less tolerable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Goddamn you aren't kidding. Anytime I fly anything other than Southwest I'm wondering why they're taking so long to climb or descend. Southwest pilots don't waste a goddamn second getting up to altitude or getting down to the ground.

If you really want to see them have fun, fly out of SNA sometime. The rich folk surrounding the airport have crazy noise restrictions. They taxi onto the runway so they start as far back as possible, lock the brakes, hammer the throttle, and wait for the engines to spin up before they release the brakes. They climb out of there hard to 1000' or so. Then they pull the engines back to near-idle and glide out to sea as quietly as possible until they can get far enough to resume a normal climb.

LloydDobler posted:

Well it just got a lot less tolerable.

"But this managerial course we took says we have to have people in the office from 9 to 5! It's important!"

That's a load of horseshit. I can't stand management that doesn't seem to understand that a big part of the reason people work is because they have families to take care of, and might actually need to spend some loving time with them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is there anything in employment law that either makes a schedule contractually locked in after being defaulted to for a given period, or requires notice for them to impose this stuff on you?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

InitialDave posted:

Is there anything in employment law that either makes a schedule contractually locked in after being defaulted to for a given period, or requires notice for them to impose this stuff on you?

Well, assuming a small enough operation where the owner takes on responsibilities after losing a single manager, "the owner said so" is basically the only applicable law in this situation.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Welcome to America, land of at-will employment.

You might have some tiny chance of fighting it if you had a written contract and were willing to go to court. Otherwise, you work the hours you're asked to or effectively resign via job abandonment.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

financially racist posted:

it's legitimately rust-free which is why i pulled the trigger. like i checked every inch of it and there's literally nothing other than a small amount of surface rust under the trunk carpeting.

400 bucks.

You bastard! :D

T-top?

The AW11 was the favourite out of all my past cars. You'll have fun.

(celica alternators also fit if yours has rusted to death)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

meltie posted:

You bastard! :D

T-top?

The AW11 was the favourite out of all my past cars. You'll have fun.

(celica alternators also fit if yours has rusted to death)

nope, sunroof since it's an 86. it's ok my sw20 already has t-tops so i got that covered.

i'll have to get it running before i worry about the alternator or anything else. gonna start by replacing the fuel filter and checking the relays, hopefully the fuel pump isn't bad (it's gonna be the fuel pump i already know it). will make a thread as i work on bringing it back to life over the weekend.

it's just a dumb summer project, i will prolly sell it once college starts back up in september for a lot more than 400 since finding a rust-free aw11 is rarer than finding a unicorn. or alternatively i'll fall in love with it after i get it on the road and not be able to bring myself to sell it and end up owning a second mr2 and just switch which i drive day by day.

the aw11 is a car i've lusted after for eons, back in 2011 i test drove one but it was a basket case and ended up with an rx7 fb. love that rx7 so much i tried finding anotehr when i moved across the country, ended up with an sw20 instead because it was cheaper than a good fb (wtf the prices out here are weird). now i finally got an aw11. guess it all worked out in the end in a really convoluted way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

400 bucks.

loving hell, bargain. I hate you a little.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, it's Edgar Wright, so I'd hope he'd be on top of that.

No spoilers!

Spoiler: it's super fun and the soundtrack is so good. I had to get them to turn it up though as it was too quiet during the opening scene.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

Just don't go buying any carnivorous plants from old Chinese men.

I grew up in Surrey, it is too middle class for any foreigners.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Fast forward 10 months, and they fire my manager.

Sounds like they're quickly going downhill. Rarely is it a good idea for a business owner to fire management and assume their responsibilities.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You may also be subject to "hmm yes that's a perfectly good justification for this inconsequential compromise you've requested however I've already said no and I can't be seen to change my mind"

Which is great fun. Best of luck Lloyd hope you find something suitable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

You may also be subject to "hmm yes that's a perfectly good justification for this inconsequential compromise you've requested however I've already said no and I can't be seen to change my mind"

Which is great fun. Best of luck Lloyd hope you find something suitable.
Having several large drinks and rewatching Office Space is always the best cure for concerns about office politics.

If you're useful enough, don't really care, or just have big enough balls, you can always simply ignore what they think your schedule should be and carry on with what you're doing.

A lot of managers have trouble with the idea that a big part of their job is to consult and be advised, not just to dictate. "I want" has little value: Businesses function on "we need".

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

400 bucks.

gently caress you so hard I love you

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ferremit posted:

I'm confused. I thought The Cloud *was* "my butt". How do you wipe your arse with your arse?
Ohhhh, you mean an actually cloud.

Get thee to the grocery store/Walmart/etc. On the TP aisle will be products called "sanitary wipes". They are baby wipes for adults. Buy them, wipe in more comfort, if not comfort. there's even a brand called "Man Wipes" or something.

nm posted:

Baby wipes

Or, yeah, actual baby wipes will do the same thing, but you'll smell like a baby.

IOwnCalculus posted:

"But this managerial course we took says we have to have people in the office from 9 to 5! It's important!"

That's a load of horseshit. I can't stand management that doesn't seem to understand that a big part of the reason people work is because they have families to take care of, and might actually need to spend some loving time with them.

It's amazing how often management doesn't seem to realize how many of use don't actually *want* to work, but have to because we like to eat and provide for our family. Or maybe they just don't care, because they could replace you easily. Probably that last one. "Hey, why can't we seem to keep talented, reliable employees?"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Or when they promote and enable terrible employees that they like personally, but wonder why they have trouble getting people to work with the supervisor(!) with more than a decade of experience who cannot do their own job

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Someone at delta must have read my rant yesterday. They were awesome enough to cancel my flight, book me through a hub farther away and give me some sweet middle seats.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

People in Maine hate:

-non locals
-Maine
-themselves

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

Then you need Sandy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpC1vAlBULg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The thing in my back ruptured, I'm probably leaking spinal fluid, rip rhyno

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Got some sort of gift box at work from some unknown client who sent 50 of these to the execs here, for once random free crap from work has something interesting in it.

Alas, poor Yorick's sphincter... I knew his hot sauce supplier, Horatio

(this weighs like 10 pounds)

(Trumphand for scale)

Rhyno posted:

The thing in my back ruptured, I'm probably leaking spinal fluid, rip rhyno
RIP rhyno, at least *I'll* have hot sauce forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)