Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He's considering joining the circus.

No, really.

Unrelated: Apparently, Citroen built their last hydropneumatic suspension car today.

Wonder if they'll return to the tech in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

Ah drat, that is sad. So the C5 was the last car to run that suspension?
Some models, yes, not all of them.

The question is what they'll do as an equivalent next.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 1, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ExplodingSims posted:

Holy gently caress laying down pavers is terrible, terrible work.

Especially when it turns out the soil is a mixture of roots, tile, other pavers, and seashells for whatever reason.
Totally hiring someone to do this if I ever want to do this again.
Do you have a mattock? A combo pickaxe/mattock really lets you tear into that kind of "gently caress it, let's dump all the rubble from building the house in the front yard and put an inch of soil over it" ground, so it's easy to shovel up. I was doing a similar job myself today, and FFS, half-bricks and clumps of old tarmac everywhere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son is scared to go to the Iron Maiden concert next week because he's worried about somebody bombing it.

When he told me this I had no words.
:(

That's a shitter. How are you going to play it? I mean, it's not an illegitimate concern, unfortunately, but at the same time (and without it sounding contrived), they win if we start changing our activities because of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I can't imagine living across the pond having to worry about that poo poo going to every event.
We don't.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Cut it in half and replace your half.
If I understand it right, sharing a bed actually reduces quality of sleep, but because people get used to it and suffer a certain amount of separation anxiety if they then sleep apart, it becomes at that point the "better" option.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My wife and I have joked about double-sized bunk beds.
Quite seriously, it seems some people find separate beds work out really well for them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Sleeping with someone immediately next to you also exposes you to 2.5% of the yearly "safe" allotment of radiation, so there's that to consider
As The Guess Who sang, "Americium woman, stay away from me..."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My 2-tonne long chassis/high lift trolley jack is about 120lbs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've bodged PS pipe back together with JB Weld before. It's not a good idea, but you have a PT Cruiser, good ideas have deserted your immediate vicinity anyway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

Just put an order in for a bicycle through the works "bike to work" scheme.
I've been walking into work for a couple of weeks and it's been nice but it takes a fair while so I figured a bike would be a good compromise between that and going back to driving.
Was originally planning on getting an e-bike and being lazy but at the local bike shop mentioned you are buying the electronics so a £1200 bike gets you a £200 bike as opposed to spending £600 and getting a £600 bike.

Got a Giant Escape Disk on order with mudguards and a rear lugguage rack so I can also use it to lug beer/meat to potential BBQs
How's their scheme interpretation?

Some are very sensible and write down the value of the bike in use, so after a year you pay them a nominal £1 or so to own it, and have made a big saving.

Some are totally useless and you spend as much or more as you would just buying one outright in the first place

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

Ours you pay the cost of the bike over 12 months but it comes out via salery sacrifice so you save 20% tax.
If you're in the higher earning catagory (I'm not) then you can save 40%
Yes, the basics of the scheme are the same, but:

Do they clarify the final payment? When I got my bike they guaranteed the final payment would be the same as the monthly, this year they make no promises, just mentioning "reasonable value" so you could be stuck with a final payment up to 50% of the starting value.
This is the problem with the schemes in a lot of places (including one my place tried to run). Even with the tax saving, you can get a better deal just through regular sales at somewhere like Halfords.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Devyl posted:

Got a new job a few weeks ago. I make bolts and screws for the automotive and aeronautical industry. Great money since I'm the lead on running about 10 heading machines. Those are the ones that take the steel wire from the rolls and use a 2 or 4 die process to form the heads and lengths of said bolts and screws before they get threads. Pretty laid back place too. It's a fairly small factory (20 people on my shift on the floor) and a nice change of pace from the huge 4-500 people per shift I'm used to.
Cool, it's generally not a bad industry to work in. Do you only make cold headed parts, or is there a hot forge section too?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

If not in 12 months there will be plenty of cursing going on
You can just hand it back in (to HR) and see who blinks first about the final payment being negotiable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

To celebrate my last speeding ticket being 4 years old and coming off my license last month I managed to get myself a new one :(

If I'm 4 mph over the 'speed awareness course' limit do I have a £100+ fine to look forward to? Or will this count as my first offence and let me do a course?

Annoyingly I saw the fucker and I was sure that I had slowed down as I was following someone else :(
Are you on Pistonheads? There's a lot of previous threads there, and people who know this stuff, and can give good advice on speeding punishments. Fair number of dickheads too, though.

I think you'll get 3 points and a £100 fine. Did they stop you for a chat at the time, or waiting on a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution, for those following along abroad)?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Anyone have any experience with car dollies? Those tiny casters look like a giant pain in the rear end to move on uneven concrete
I have some. They're ok, but yes, uneven surfaces can be a little tricky, as can changing direction and getting the castors to agree smoothly.

However, the inertia of moving an entire car (which is part of the latter issue) helps them punch over the odd rough spot better than an engine crane etc - once they're moving, they tend to keep going rather than stopping dead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

just got the NIP. 46 in a 30 from a van parked about 400m after the 30 sign (it drops from 60).

I've just looked at the photo online and they got me at 46 from 367.1 metres away! - so pretty much right after the speed limit drop sign :(
The NIP arrived within the 14 day limit, yes? Probably going to get an offer for the fixed penalty with the aforementioned £100 and 3 points.

Edit: Just seen Spog's post. Bit poo poo, but ah well. However, isn't that only when imposed by a court? You could still receive a normal fixed panalty?

Edit 2: Yes, I believe those are purely court guidelines for sentencing. I don't think it changes the FPN situation, and I think you're still eligible for one.

See what happens, I guess.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 7, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat they're pretty serious about speeding over there
Yes. Four kittens and a small infant literally exploded when Tomarse went past them, and he must be punished for it.

Basically, there's an incessant ideological push toward "speed is dangerous, full stop".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

As I said - they got me at 367 metres. Judging from the picture quality I would guess that on a long straight road they could get you from a lot further away.

However - you cant see the driver or read the plate in the one that I was clocked at in the distance, they have used 2 later closeup photos for that - I could have turned off and been free - so if you see a van in the distance and think it got you then turn off immediately before they can see you!
Remember kids, failure to correctly display a numberplate is £100 and no points.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

Someone should carefully alter that to "REVENUE CAMERA".
Sometimes referred to as "scamera".

Contraction of "safety camera", clearly...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Its gonna be a long and sleepless night for a lot of us in the UK!
Can't do much about it now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That won't change the result, just how tired you are.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
May as well make this an annual event now. Every June, the UK government asks the public a question and find out the didn't predict the answer anywhere near correctly.

DICK DICER posted:

In short, each and every last one of you can eat a massive, worm loaded pile of dicks
Is that what got you into this mess?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Every K-12 teacher I know either drinks heavy, smokes mountains of weed, or both.

I don't think my liver would last 6 months.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's for his X1/9, that's actually better, they're something like ET35 standard.

Edit: I am wrong

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 10, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Evenly coat the entire spot with used oil, making sure you get right up to the edges for a nice consistent colour.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can save the time/labour of doing it by buying a Land Rover.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

~~real poo poo~~ post incoming, heads up.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If you gotta vent, we're here for ya, man. What you need to do is be there for your sisters.
Basically this.

But remember, they're actively looking for this with them both now, so straight away that's better than just coming into this cold, and hopefully means if they do find anything, they'll find it much earlier.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hah, watching the latest episode of Mighty Car Mods, and I bet there's going to be teeth gnashing from certain quarters about them building a straight-6 turbo Toyota drag car that isn't a TWOOO JAAAY ZEEE SWAP BRAHHH.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Their entire engine build probably cost similar to what it'd cost me to get a standard but refreshed 2JZGTE and gearbox, too, so it makes perfect sense, but there's a real cult around them with people thinking they're the only big-power iteration of the engine format.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Being kicked out at 10.5 wasnt about the car, it was about Marty not being licenced to go that fast
I know in the US there are rules about what safety kit you need at certain ETs, I assumed it was something like that. I'm not actually sure what the UK rules are.

nm posted:

Uhm, am I really arguing with a guy that thinks Fiats are reliable in the recommend a car thread?
Relative to what, though? That's always the question.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Gamechat: Just found out there's another Wolfenstein out in October. Hope it's good.

My parents are in Japan this week, and took a trip to the Toyota Megaweb in Odaiba today. At the Heritage Garage cafe, my dad was showing someone pictures of his current restoration projects, and got invited into the workshop to have a chat with the old guys who do the cars there:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ferrari's old attitude was always correct: ONE less than the market will bear is optimum for desirability vs revenue.

Remember when Renault made more Clio Williams variants, and the investment types got all upset about it? :laugh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
But that's the "halo product" approach, which is like selling high end cars.

With Nintendo, they're limiting supply and meaning huge numbers of people who want exactly that item can't have one.

They don't want the other product(s) available, they don't gain a favourable brand perception. They want that item, they don't get it, it annoys them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

In other news whilst flicking through instagram whilst taking a poo poo at work I come across a picture about 'cleansing your colon' and in the comments an argument about whether it's required or not. One guy going full ham suggesting that your butt has old poop in it and gets blocked so you need to cleanse it. How do people not know how their butts work?
"How else do I get the hamster out of there?"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I'm going to take my panda down the track against my little brothers 1500 spitfire. He should win but if he doesn't I'll give him poo poo for it forever :v:
That's enough time to fit a nitrous kit...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

My money is on the panda :v:
No joke, one of my life goals is to have an 80s Panda with a truly ridiculous amount of power, just for a laugh.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

I would drive the gently caress out of a Fiat Panda 4x4 from the 1980s
Hah, I own two of them.

Edit: I really need to get round to putting one of them back together and driving it again.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 13, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

have you seen one at a 4x4 funday? - you don't need the power! ;)

Also, I have just noticed that 2nd gen 4x4 panda's appear to be now under the £1500 point...

I wanted one 3 years ago when I got my Aygo but they were too expensive. They are not now!

What do i need to be aware of on 2005-2008 4x4 pandas with 70-90k miles on? I love the Aygo but after 140k the drivers seat is hosed and hurts my back and I want aircon and a sunroof and 5 doors...
Ah, no, I don't want a 4x4 Panda with more power (I've been the guy at a funday in one), plus they're a bit rare to tit about with now - I cancelled my original plan to modify one of mine with big tyres and a diesel, as it's a bit too good to do that to.

What I want is probably something close to a silhouette racer. Definitely Panda shaped but loony power.

I don't know a huge amount about the "new" Pandas, but be aware the 4x4 system is now a viscous based one, not the mechanical spline engagement of old, and they don't quite have the same off-road capability. Probably a much better daily driver though.

The engines are the venerable FIRE units that started in the mid-80s Panda, and they're very well proven, I doubt there's anything to be particularly concerned with there, plus seeing as they also put the 1.3 Multijet diesel in them, the gearbox shouldn't be at all troubled by the petrol engine's output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Today marks ten years hanging out with you bunch of reprobates. :toot:

• Locked thread