Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Haven't posted a doggo picture in awhile. He was not amused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think he can be contacted via Facebook if you're friends with him

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

spog posted:

You can always run the numbers and show how statistically, he's n times more likely to die in a car accident than at a show.

While this may be true, it's not necessarily comforting to everyone.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone own project cars? I saw that it was on sale on steam so I thought about picking it up.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

morothar posted:

Hey guys, am I blind, or do we not have a generic pickup truck thread?

It looks like we will be moving to the US come July, so I am kinda looking at buying a pickup truck (where, if not in the US).

We don't have a pick up thread (as far as I know) but these guys can help you:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is he just looking to cruise around? NC Miata might fit the bill. Maybe a convertible Mustang or Camaro?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My dad and I went car shopping the other day. One of the dealerships seemed to have a lot of cars that haven't moved in awhile. There were a lot of vehicles with rust on the rotors, some cars seemed to have more rust than not rust.

That's probably not a good sign is it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My commute is about ~21 miles each way and about 40 minutes.

If anyone is looking for a wii u, I would check to see if Nintendo has any refurbished. Easiest way to get one IMO. Besides that, it always looks like someone is trying to sell one on SA Mart

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

TV chat -- I have a 65" Costco Vizio in my family room. It's running 1080p fed by a Tivo Bolt using a cablecard though an HDMI cable after going through a Yamaha HDMI receiver.

I was on vacation last week and the hotel had a ~50" LG fed by a coax cable showing about 60 channels.

That LG was brutally sharp. Sharper than what I have at home by a damned sight.

So... is the LG screen better because it's got a better pixel density? Is the Vizio just crap? Is the coax line feed better than what I'm using? I've seen sharpness improvements using over-the-air signals, but not from a cable feed...

How old is your Vizio? Vizio TVs now are pretty good but I don't know about in the past. In short, I don't think there's an easy answer to why the hotel TV looked so much better. LG makes pretty good TVs these days too. Your TV could be a LED and the hotel TV is a OLED (it's the new hotness). It could be the difference between the source materials. It's hard to compare TVs when you're not using the same source material/hardware.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

the spyder posted:

Anyone need a used laptop before I list them in Goon Mart? I've got a Lenovo W520 and X220 I don't use anymore.

Car related: Tracked down one of the Celica's owners... from 1994. Owns a DJ business in Cali. Going to give him a call today and see what he knows about the car.

Depending on the specs and price, I might be interested in the x220.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Fo3 posted:

My laptop died again, (Dell vostro 1400). I was watching a le mans stream while my desktop was stuffing around with a windows update and the screen just started flickering and then it locked up.
It first died (onboard GPU) over easter this year. I feel like my little buddy has died. I've had it nearly 10 years and it's been with me everywhere.
I bought it when I started my first business in HVAC and lugged it around daily for service manual referencing. It was my only link to the outside world when I went sadbrains, mute and lived in a storeroom.

Anyone know how to fix it proper? When the display died over easter I reflowed it in an oven but that only gave it another couple of months. I was looking at replacement used/refurbished mainboards but they only seem to be in the US and don't ship for under $200.
I don't want another laptop, I want my little buddy back :(

I haven't been impressed with any new cheapies anyway, this one did everything I wanted and was good for about 10 years. The woman here bought a $500 lenovo edge e520 a few years ago and I still think my dell vostro 1400 was better.
E: When I split with the woman and move out I doubt I'll take or have room for the lian li tower and 24" samsung monitor desktop system, and I hate smart phones, so a laptop is probably going to be my only connection to the outside world.
What should I do? Any way to repair it properly? Any good ones that I should look out for s/h for ~$200? Budget is tight due to moving and spending everything on cars at the moment. Would obviously prefer to repair my buddy but only if it was a long term guaranteed repair.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/472308/Latitude_E6430_140_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black

I would buy something like this and throw a ssd and more ram into it later.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

I think my gaming days are over for real now. I can't keep up with hardware.

I downloaded the new DooM today on the steam sale. 78 gigabytes. I did a double take. I might have to move it off my SSD if I run out of space in the future, or if I want to buy a second modern game.

I feel you. Games are getting huge these days. I downloaded Wolfenstein The New Order a few weeks back, ~50 gb, and then found out the game wouldn't start because it doesn't play nice with AMD gpus (I have a 7950).

I guess I'll try again in another few months when I get a new GPU.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Anybody have opinions on the new civic hatch vs a '17 Mazda 3? I'm gonna buy one or the other, but after test driving both I'm having a hell of a time deciding between them. I'd be getting the top trim in either model so they'd be 99% equal on features and amenities. They're both really fun to drive, so I'm just torn.

Do you think you could live with either? Go test drive both again, preferably longer than last time. If you still can't decide, go with whichever gives you the better deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How much space does the new Civic Hatch have compared to the sedan? It doesn't look like it's that much more.

• Locked thread