Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I wish it worked out like that.

I tried the ATF and acetone mix and I can't believe how well it works. I found some old dexron 3 I've had since 1997 so it's no good for anything else, and bought some acetone yesterday. Mixed it up in an angry lady chilli oil jar and brushed it on the exhaust studs and nuts. (When I tried to undo the downpipe from the extractors the whole stud with nuts came off the extractors rather than just the nut, so the nuts are pretty well stuck on there even though I've tried wd40 and rp7 on them)

After applying the atf/acetone mix and letting it sit for an hour I just held the stud with locking pliers and it was easy to crack the nut loose and just unscrew it the rest of the way by hand. On a stud and nut covered in the surface rust that a 12year old car exhaust joint gets!
Pretty amazing , I read about it years ago and always thought it was BS, and didn't want to spend the money on ATF and acetone to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Cross post from the bmw thread, but has anyone on the UK ever bought anything from JJC race and rally? Freight UK-AU usually much cheaper than US-AU, plus the exchange rate better in the UK.
My e34 needs front struts so rather than chuck them onto a USA order I got the actual bilstein part number and searched. JJC r&r can send me a pair for au$325inc.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

The leak on the PT appears to be the pressure line. New part is $40 but gently caress that I'm gonna grab a used one at the JY. Should be like $5. Repair appears to be doable without dropping the engine as well. Gonna get this bitch rolling.
Don't they all leak though?
(What I'm saying is unlikely to fix with s/h parts)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Just be glad you don't have to use special snowflake fluid like my old bmw does like pentosin chf 7.1. I needed 1.5l and it's $28/l for the modern semi synth equivalent. Even though it's pricey for the fluid, I rather pay that than risk a pump failure in it and a fluid change from old atf to that stuff seemed to have quit the complaining.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
My laptop died again, (Dell vostro 1400). I was watching a le mans stream while my desktop was stuffing around with a windows update and the screen just started flickering and then it locked up.
It first died (onboard GPU) over easter this year. I feel like my little buddy has died. I've had it nearly 10 years and it's been with me everywhere.
I bought it when I started my first business in HVAC and lugged it around daily for service manual referencing. It was my only link to the outside world when I went sadbrains, mute and lived in a storeroom.

Anyone know how to fix it proper? When the display died over easter I reflowed it in an oven but that only gave it another couple of months. I was looking at replacement used/refurbished mainboards but they only seem to be in the US and don't ship for under $200.
I don't want another laptop, I want my little buddy back :(

I haven't been impressed with any new cheapies anyway, this one did everything I wanted and was good for about 10 years. The woman here bought a $500 lenovo edge e520 a few years ago and I still think my dell vostro 1400 was better.
E: When I split with the woman and move out I doubt I'll take or have room for the lian li tower and 24" samsung monitor desktop system, and I hate smart phones, so a laptop is probably going to be my only connection to the outside world.
What should I do? Any way to repair it properly? Any good ones that I should look out for s/h for ~$200? Budget is tight due to moving and spending everything on cars at the moment. Would obviously prefer to repair my buddy but only if it was a long term guaranteed repair.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 17, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It did everything I wanted though. My cars are older...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Something like that in Australia would be good. They look to be about $350-400 here but I'll look into them

BraveUlysses posted:

So I have a potential buyer for my e30 track car but he wants to put money down on it to hold it till he has money for it in a couple of weeks. I would never consider a payment plan but a contract with a non refundable deposit seems low risk to me

It's my experience that people who back out of a purchase never consider their deposit non refundable. So I would go into it as fine, take the deposit, but never unlist it. If any new buyer shows up with cash up front sell it to the new buyer and jst refund the deposit to the other guy.
So many people treat it as lay by or a refundable deposit it's lost all original meaning/intention. When I sell stuff the deposit only covers a reasonable time to get to a bank, like 1-2 days, and even then I only take one if I know they are serious - I've refused many times to take one as it works against my best interests.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 17, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It's a shame they are no more as well. Australia declines into irrelevancy with the demise of the commodore and falcon.

everdave posted:

I haven't shipped to Australia in a long time but I can get new Vostro 1400 motherboards for $50-100 what is shipping from US?
It's usually pricey but it would be worth it for me. It would depend on courier account or usps flat rate boxes I think. I just got a decent size box from pelican parts full of gaskets and stuff that would easily fit it and a whole lot of bubble wrap and that cost me $50 fedexed. But that would be because they get a good rate and have an account with them. USPS regular shipping would probably be more unless there was a flat rate box that fitted perfectly

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 17, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I think it's awesome you still have the GTX, keep fighting the good fight. I completely forgot about the forgotten rally car even though they were available here as an import for ages and also the gtr.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

everdave posted:

I haven't shipped to Australia in a long time but I can get new Vostro 1400 motherboards for $50-100
I've given up on other options so where can I get one from?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

everdave posted:

I can order from a parts supplier here, message me if you really want to do this but new laptops are cheap these days, but I can help if you want to do a new mobo.

New laptops not so cheap here. For $500 I would have to get a smaller screen (I like the 14"), or have something non upgradeable/repairable and just built real cheap. I'd need to spend $700 for something equivalent, and even then, that's what the lenovo e520 cost and I don't like it as much as the vostro. Send me an email at gmail

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 20, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Early festivas here were proper mazda 121s, only the later ones were KIAs which were terrible except for the 2 stroke piston orbital based fuel injected ones.
E: yeah these later kia designed ones are the ones you guys are calling aspires, they were just called 2nd gen festivas in AU which why no one likes festivas here.

the split between the festiva and mazda was when mazda went with the autozam "bubble car" or "jellybean" 121, and ford went their own way with KIA to make the 2nd gen festiva which ruined the name.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 20, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Enourmo posted:

Sooooo... 16s?

E: also no honest man needs more than rwd with a solid axle and open diff. :colbert:

I see where you're going with this, like everyone should have a falcon ute with a barra, but an LSD is good to have as well because one wheel burnouts are less entertaining.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

cakesmith handyman posted:

That looks like it should tip rear end over tea kettle when you step on the brakes.

I very much want to build a reverse trike and one-wheel superbike-powered burnouts sound pretty drat awesome thanks.

Well if you've only got one at the back that's different to a wheel at the back doing nothing :(
In other sad news, has kevbarlas forgotten us?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

cakesmith handyman posted:

Are you saying that they would indeed, temporarily at least, belong to me?

Nerd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Rains coming probably. It's been dry in Perth too with 24C days and 5C nights all winter until a few days ago. Now it's wet and windy.

E: BoM looks like you are going to get a little of it your way (though no where near as much as we finally got)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 23, 2017

• Locked thread