Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I took the Focus in for a couple of stupid recalls a couple weeks ago. Went in on Wednesday morning, and they needed the car all day since one of the recalls was replacing all the door latches and was a 4 hour job. The other recall was reprogramming the Body Control Module (BCM) to stop the rear hatch from opening if I hit the hatch release button while moving under 4mph. I decided to let them go ahead and change the oil since I was planning to drive the car into Mexico over the holiday weekend, even though I have all the stuff to do it myself and have been since I got the car.

Call from the dealer around 2pm, so I figure it must be done... umm.. nope. Everything is done except the BCM, which about half-way through the re-program became unresponsive and apparently is now an electronic brick. They are getting a replacement sent in next-day. Not a huge deal for me since I am working from home on Thursday too. Thursday comes.. The dealership has the new BCM, but Ford won't authorize the installation without doing a bunch of testing, so they get me a rental car.

The only rental available that is a "Ford" which is required under their warranty rentals is a full sized F-150. Yay for doing my 110 mile daily commute in a gas hog and no way to fit it in my garage now that temps are hitting triple digits. Luckily the rental place was cool, and on Saturday morning they swapped me into a new Focus, and gave me a full tank of gas and marked the form to bring it back empty, so that was nice.

Anyway, crap goes back and forth between the dealership and Ford until Monday afternoon they call me and tell me that Ford has flown an engineer out to work on my car. Finally, on Wednesday afternoon, the day before I'm leaving on vacation, they call and say it's ready, so I go down to pick it up and drop off the rental. The dealership gives me the oil change for free, which I thought was a nice gesture, should have included a new cabin air filter on that service!

I drive off on Thursday, and around 2pm I get a call from a Ford regional CS Rep. The dealership had escalated the problem at Ford, and she wanted to 'Make up for my inconvenience' by offering me free service calls for some long period of time (I don't remember how long), but I told her that I do all the maintenance on the car myself, as I don't like dealing with the hassle of taking it into the dealership. So.. she shocked me a bit, and told me that they would be attaching a 5yr/100,000 mile ESP+ warranty to the car, and I would be getting the paperwork in the mail in about 6 weeks, but it would be active immediately.

TLDR - Ford took 8 days to do a 1 day recall, so gave me a free oil change and an extended warranty for the hassle.

My car has almost 61k miles on it and has been out of warranty since 36k, so that's kind of cool, and my car will once again be under warranty, at least for the next 18 or 20 months until I top 100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

everdave posted:

Correct, I took full comprehensive coverage off of it because I felt stupid paying for it all these years and it is literally just sitting in the driveway waiting on a title and me to fix some things to make it easier to sell.

Thankfully we were out of town when it happened, neighbors swear it was a tornado but officially it was 95 mile an hour straight line winds. The picture doesn't do it justice, it literally peeled back a rock lined creek intact with the line of trees like it was nothing. It is a miracle my house is undamaged.

I have been using a chainsaw for the past 3 days I am sitting here typing and my arms are vibrating.

Shouldn't that be something covered by homeowners insurance, not auto insurance given where and how it happened? Might want to check with your agent.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darchangel posted:

They don't stay put all that well when your eyes keep drying out. I apparently don't make enough tears.

I have that problem, constant dry eyes sucks.

About a year ago after trying all the usual drops, the doc prescribed me a drop called Restasis. The drops are expensive as gently caress and take 4-6 months to start showing results as they work with the normal cycle of tear duct replacement.

I can say that after a year though, it has nearly eliminated my dry eye symptoms and I am glad he prescribed these.

The doctor ran the visit and the drops as 'medium', not eye check up so that my insurance would cover things. The drops cost me $75 for a 90 day supply, but the doctor said to ignore the medication instructions to use the vials once and discard, and instead to use a vial until it's empty as long as it's not been open for over a week. This means that a vial lasts 1.5 or 2 days, instead of using a vial each morning and evening, so the 90 day supply actually lasts me over 9 months.

The cost for Restasis without insurance appears to be $1200 for the 90 day supply.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I kind of want to keep it until it dies.

So for a week or two then?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Perfect in every w... holy poo poo, $100! Ok, not quite perfect.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mungtor posted:

Not really amazing. "1%-er builds cool toy with unlimited capital and family connections. Uses extra time to learn to drive.". Hardly inspiring for people without $100k in machine tools and other demands on their time.

Appropriate avatar/text post combo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

DICK DICER posted:

My tweaker friend who went to the ER about the parasites we both share identical symptoms for just got his results in. Positive diagnosis for an incredibly rare flesh burrowing flat worm from Asia. Total number of cases in the USA per year: 3~5. His lawyer is talking multiple millions in settlements as there has been permanent, irreversible damage done to his body that will leave him in crippling pain the rest of his life, he my randomly go blind if one burrows through his optic nerve, and has a cat scan scheduled for tomorrow to assess brain surgery and treatment options.

I haven't followed this saga very closely, so maybe this is obvious to you and everyone else, but who is getting sued, and for what?

I hope that the treatment options are good, and can make you better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know we've had this discussion but what is everyone's commute? Currently I'm 21 miles, ~30 minutes

52 miles, anywhere from. 60-90 minutes.

Telecommute 2 days per week.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

I haven't seen GOT but I also don't really watch any TV and read the first few books like 8-10 years back

So you are up to date on the book series then? :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

:words:From before talking about commute length and stuff... Ever find a nearly perfect house in the worst area? We love the house and the distance from work isn't a deal breaker but gently caress I just can't picture living in the city like that. If it was out a ways we would have put in an offer by now but we're just not sold on it. Maybe we'll throw a low offer but I don't know. Garage ceilings are low (9'2") but quick math shows I could squeeze 10 E30's in there if they were mirror-to-mirror and bumper-to-bumper. There's almost no other detached garages for sale, especially in our price range, since no one has garages in the south. Have thought about buying the perfect house with a 2+ car attached then just building my dream detached but then we're almost better off staying where we are. :words:

Why is being detached vs. attached so important for you? I'd personally rather have attached, all other things being equal, so I can wander into my garage in my undies or whatever without worrying about neighbors or the weather if I want to. Plus carrying in the groceries is pretty nice in an attached.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh that's cool, I'll have to watch out for those fiance would be amazed.

Attached vs detached doesn't matter at all but no one down here has a 4+ car attached in our price range. Even McMansions down here are lucky to have an oversized two car attached. We want an attached to park the daily drivers and have space for the gym stuff. Right now weights are garage, cardio is 2nd bedroom and we can't park daily drivers in the garage. With a 2nd garage I'd have a place for projects and the M-cars. Right now I have three in the garage and four cars outside which isn't ideal but I live in the country so no one complains.

I know selling off a bunch of cars would fix all this but that isn't likely to happen unless I leave the country
trying to decide if it's worth renting storage for a while to build a garage on a great home...if my insurance will even let me

Gotcha, makes perfect sense. You need the house a buddy of mine had up in North Scottsdale, but it was stupidly expensive I'm sure. He had a 4 car attached, with room to fully open the doors between every car even if they were all Expeditions, with 6'-8' in front and behind of said Expeditions, and the 4th bay was long enough to get a largish Scarab racing boat & trailer fully inside.

Oh, and in the backyard was the detached garage with a full workshop on the side with the office over it, and a 4 post lift easily fit in front of the Class A motorhome on the other side. I drooled a bit every time I went over there to work on something with him.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

EDIT: CLOTHES CHAT

I was wearing 38x30 pants and I just bought a pair of 34x30 for the first time in loving forever and they're a bit loose!

Good for you man. I really need to get off my lazy rear end and lose some weight myself. Glad to see someone doing it!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's about what I pay for my Saturn's insurance. :smith: I could probably knock a bit off if I dropped collision, but I'd rather pay a bit more per month instead of having to go "ohshit" and find another car if I gently caress up (or, as with what happened last year, someone with insurance hits me, but their insurance drags it out for 9 months).

My Focus ST was just a hair over $80/month to insure when I bought it new in December of 2014. It is currently right at $112/month. Other than me and the car both getting older, nothing has changed in regards to my driving habits or record. Almost a 30% increase in 2-1/2 years is kind of bullshit, but it's not like I really have a choice about it. /sigh..

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I haven't moved in 12 years since I bought this house. Literally the only thing on my end that has changed is that 2.5 years have passed. There must be some real winners out there wrecking the poo poo out of ST's on a pretty frequent basis.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Ebay update: Buyer does want it, other guy not happy, says he'll "escalate it to Ebay". Good luck with that, chap.

I don't use Ebay much, so this is just a curiosity question. Does Ebay give you the ability to create a sale listing like you did, but make it 'private' so that it won't show up on searches in order to prevent that from happening (like unlisted Youtube videos for example). That would be a good solution if it was possible, then if the person you listed it for flaked, you just unhide it and leave it there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I know my weather station reads a few degrees high because it's in direct sunlight and the small contained units just don't manage the sunlight properly, but...

My home weather station high temperature today was 126. It is currently 123 and I just had a brief power outage. I am currently extremely thankful that the power only stayed out for about 15 seconds... an extended outage right now would... suck. A lot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Most of the time when people say "the transformer blew up"....it isn't. Like, hardly ever. But when it gets abnormally hot or cold? Yeah them sum bitches will blow the gently caress UP.

Good luck friend.

And.... the power outage apparently took out the compressor unit... FML... going to be so loving hot tonight.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Prong Song posted:

motel motel motel

120-ish degrees is no way to live your life.

Temp overnight got down near 80, and I slept surprisingly well with the fans blowing air around. The service guy is supposed to be here sometime later this morning, so I have to just suck it up and tough out the likely 90+ temps the house will be up to by the time he arrives.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Hopefully it's just a bad cap, and/or the compressor went out on thermal overload from short cycling due to the abnormal heat.

Bad cap, AC working again. Holy gently caress I got bent over a rough log... $250!

I just ordered a new 40/5 run cap from Amazon for under $15 and it will be sitting on the shelf waiting for the next cap to fail in a couple years, at which time I will go outside and replace it myself in about 10 or 15 minutes.

I made the obviously bad assumption that since the original cap lasted 10 years, the one that replaced it a couple years ago would be good for another 10 or so. Nope. AC guy said that 95% of his calls are for this, he must be making loving bank this week. If he can hit two houses per hour he is making over $400 per hour right now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Temp chat.. heat wave in Phoenix is over...

Today's high temp on my weather station only 120, down 6 degrees from yesterday's 126.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

angryrobots posted:

The AACA museum in Hershey PA is a pro visit.

Huge variety of vehicles in all manner of condition, mostly unrestored but well preserved, but quite a few in rough "as found" shape. Most had stories about how they came to be in their current state - the above was my personal favorite.

Also a huge Tucker exhibit with 3 complete cars, 2 test chassis where you can see the unconventional design laid bare, and about 6 engine prototypes along with a pile of memorabilia and original drawings.

This is awesome and did not get the love it deserves. The story about the White Sedan is amazing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I don't even know if this is a cyst yet. That's the problem. The bump is tiny.

You were bitten by an previously unknown venomous spider and are going to die.. or turn into Spiderman. I suggest finding a tailor that can make you a suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darchangel posted:

poo poo. Closest to me is like 9 hours away.

About 14-15 hours for me, so even though it's on my birthday, I won't be celebrating by viewing the eclipse in person.

• Locked thread