Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
HOLY poo poo THE JUNE THREAD POSTED IN JUNE WTF

For those that are late;

This is a chat thread for anyone who reads AI. We talk about computers, life, how much alcohol we drink (I worked out 1/5 of the May thread was alcohol related. I think that says something), how much weight Rhyno has lost, where it's finally getting loving cold in Australia and hot in the asscrack of Satan aka Arizona and STR fixes air conditioning, Mad Max fan fiction and shipping Furiosa and one of the Wives, COMMIEGIR occasionally slam truth bombs while CAT INTERCEPTOR infects our minds and sends us all to the cycle asylum - leading an army of AI cyclists to slaughter hipsters on fixies, WE DONT TALK ABOUT GUNS, cry over the Trumpocopypse, wonder how the gently caress *insert idiot here* hasnt been reprogrammed with a baseball bat, we post cat pics, whatever! Just imagine this as one large garage and we are all pretending to work on some broken rear end Falcon Coupe or Subaru while talking poo poo about anything that comes up. Anyone who is just wandering by, stop and say hello! We don't bite and we're a pretty chilled out bunch of normal people. Except apparently when [list of topics you already know to avoid] comes up. anyway.

Either that or get engaged or get married. Seems to be a lot of that going round.

NOW STEP INTO MY GARAGE AND HELP ME FIX A BROKEN rear end SUBARU. OR CHAT. OR SINK PISS. I DONT CARE JUST HELP ME FIX THIS SUBARU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Isn't the usual plan to post the new thread before the old one gets closed?

And that's exactly what happened :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So uh, my boss told me today that the he and his brother (owners of the store I work at) want to give us money towards our honeymoon.

I think I'm crying a little bit.

Good bosses are rare as gently caress. Good on ya

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Do you think dinosaurs tasted more like chicken or alligator?

Well given chickens ARE Dinosaurs ( as are all avids)..... there is you answer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

But like, aren't alligators the dinosaurs that decided not to become chickens?

No alligators may have been around at the time but they are not dinosaurs and never related.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

spog posted:

Transit vans are getting some really bad press in the UK right now.

When has that been any different tho?

Edit : Ah. Didnt know there had been an attack when I first posted.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 4, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I have a huge yard and I much prefer electric. I have corded hedge trimmer (600w) that will mangle just about anything you choose to put in it's path and electric trimmers (battery and corded) otherwise. Electric garden tools really have gotten so much better over the last few years. I'm honestly surprised just how good even the cheap Ryobi stuff is these days. I'm considering electric lawn mower next but for a yard that takes a good 1.5 hours just to mow...... maybe not.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am getting the itch to buy a new lens for my camera to tinker with. It is a crop sensor Canon. I have a 50mm/f1.8 which gets a lot of action now. I am considering a pancake lens, the 24mm looks fun and cheap. I am wanting to mainly do portraiture and take pics of cars. Should I go that path? I am not ready to hurl $700+ on lenses until I master my crop sensor camera and equipment. I will one day like to go bonkers with L glass and a full frame camera. I just am not there yet.

L Glass makes mastering the camera more fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mungtor posted:

Not really amazing. "1%-er builds cool toy with unlimited capital and family connections. Uses extra time to learn to drive.". Hardly inspiring for people without $100k in machine tools and other demands on their time.

So go suggest to the narrator he speaks to a very small privateer WRC/APRC/ARC team that built their car in a fibro and asbestos shed with tools from Cash Converters and next to no budget..... who think the guy in this video is loving cool as gently caress

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DICK DICER posted:

My tweaker friend who went to the ER about the parasites we both share identical symptoms for just got his results in. Positive diagnosis for an incredibly rare flesh burrowing flat worm from Asia. Total number of cases in the USA per year: 3~5. His lawyer is talking multiple millions in settlements as there has been permanent, irreversible damage done to his body that will leave him in crippling pain the rest of his life, he my randomly go blind if one burrows through his optic nerve, and has a cat scan scheduled for tomorrow to assess brain surgery and treatment options.

In short, each and every last one of you can eat a massive, worm loaded pile of dicks

So you should have no problem proving yourself

A official court reference to the lawsuit will do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

LOL at the UK election. Tory cunts got bollocked

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

More fun UKIP news. Lost their only seat and Nutall resigned. Good loving riddance you racist waste of sweaty pork.

Even better - their voter base just completely vanished. They pretty much ceased to be a party in any meaningful way.

BigPaddy posted:

No doubt, the Tories just don't want to run a minority government that will be ineffective like the Major government and then collapse in a heap before Corbyn gets a third bite of the cherry and manages to get his own majority to which he can do... something I guess. That said if he had gotten in he would be hosed since he promised to scrap tuition fees which I support but where would the money come from?

The big thing is that the Torys are going to be left holding the Brexit turd and will now not get any kind of deal acceptible to the electorate. Let alone they just will not be able to do jack poo poo in Parliment - Corbyn can leave them to stew in their own poo poo. Sure you could say the Torys didnt lose power but how could this have gone any worse for them? All Corbyn has to do is support a Queens Speech and let the Torys implode.... he will have a huge majority next time around AND be clear of any kind of responsibilty of a bad Brexit.

He did promise to tax the rich more so there is where the money was coming from. But anyway I really just dont see how the Torys could be in more of a world of well deserved hurt.

Murdoch must be loving furious :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

This is loving amazing:

https://twitter.com/me_stafford/status/873209534885617664

I am very excited to see how long a government relying on the turbo-homophobic DUP and the lesbian-lead Scottish Conservatives lasts. :allears:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh Lord, this just gets better and better.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Alternatively to lose more weight, do zero exercise and lose useful muscle instead. It seems to be the process of choice for most instagram models.

I've been lifitng heavy things for a bit and..... godamnit I'm in the trap of putting on muscle rather than losing fat. Even with the added on cycling.... I want to get down to race weight. 81kgs doesnt sound like I'm overweight buuuut..... 73 is where I race at.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Bicycle people, I call on you again. My wife has tried some new bikes and we're thinking of going that route. The two she likes best are:

Diamondback HaanJenn Metro, $550 at REI which means we'll get $50 back at the end of the year (https://www.rei.com/product/108765/diamondback-haanjenn-metro-womens-bike-2017)

Cannondale Quick 4, $500 at the local Trek store down from a normal ~$700 (here's the bike at REI https://www.rei.com/product/108565/cannondale-quick-4-bike-2017)

The Diamondback has disc brakes while the Cannondale has rim brakes. The Diamondback is 1x9 gearing while the Cannondale has 3x7. They're both quite light and comfortable. Is there a reason to go with one brand over the other? Are the disc brakes a big enough enticement to pick the Diamondback?

Discs certainly would be a positive to say the least tho the Cannondale has better other equipment (Not by much tho). Test ride both and whatever the preference will work. Also get fitted properly, it makes riding soo much better

quote:

What's up with 3rd gen Supras?

Someone isnt going to like this.... buuuut (apologies in advace )

Fat heavy turds in their day, years have not been kind to them to say the least.

Adiabatic posted:

Cant wait for the stories.

I want to know more too.

---

I'm not sure what beat the poo poo out of me more today - an hour lifting heavy poo poo at the gym or two hours whaling on a crashed WRX with a slide hammer to straighten it enough to disassembe. I'm going to be sore as gently caress tomorrow

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'd stab myself in the eye with a rusty screwdriver before buying anything with an automatic gearbox

Mostly I'm with you on that but the gen 4 Spec B Liberty's auto is ....... actually not bad. Given my hatred of autos that's probably saying something

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freelop posted:

Got my bike yesterday.
The short gentle ride from the shop back showed how unfit I am so I'm looking forward to a bit of excercise going to/from work

You are now one of us. Ride dat bike

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I woke up the cats laughing so hard at the engine reveal. How loving epic

And yes, you can genuinely use the stock bottom end for that hp easily, they are utter torque monsters too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Being kicked out at 10.5 wasnt about the car, it was about Marty not being licenced to go that fast

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I know in the US there are rules about what safety kit you need at certain ETs, I assumed it was something like that. I'm not actually sure what the UK rules are.

Quote from Mechanical Stig -

Car's also not passed tech inspection to go past 10.5 yet. So whie it's got the gear, it hasnt got the sticker to say it's fine

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

In other news whilst flicking through instagram whilst taking a poo poo at work I come across a picture about 'cleansing your colon' and in the comments an argument about whether it's required or not. One guy going full ham suggesting that your butt has old poop in it and gets blocked so you need to cleanse it. How do people not know how their butts work?

I'm just flat out sure that Facebok is the more intelligent social media platform (like that's saying much given the volume of purestain retarded bullshit it has) and it just gets more outright loving stupid down from there. It's weeeeell past the point of just "old man yells at clouds", social media is just genuinely toxic

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

91kms one way. Mostly by train and cycle. gently caress commuter driving.

Plus getting in at 6am is nice to GTFO before 3pm. Out the door at 430am does get old tho

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Ride a drat bicycle.

I seem to recall he said a while ago that would be a death wish.

After the shitfight of idiots AND a truck breaking a giveway sign yesterday.... I see his point. Cycling is fun but sometimes it's just dangerous as gently caress with the dickheads out there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

I bet that a route could be found if one looked carefully, particularly at strava heat maps.

Heat Maps suggests on some of my route home that I should take a certain road that I know is a three lane highway with not verge or breakdown lane and not in your loving life will I dare ride that on a weekday. The heat maps glows red because it's a good route.... on a early Sunday morning with no traffic to be seen and hence group rides.

Also the route that's the faintest there is actually the safest - Not exactly a unique occurance either. Five Dock Road in Syd is a great example of big packs on weekends skewing the data that Nooooope gently caress that on a weekday while the actual safe route is pretty faint as I'm about the only person who uses it regularly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

GG that tower fire in London is horrifying. Esp. when you see the protest group have been screaming about the place being a death trap 4 goddamn years ago.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: watching that Bourne clip back again just shows up how awful those movies are in terms of action, wow. Also the sound editing is utter poo poo, love those cheap stock sound samples used everywhere.

I'm glad we are getting long cut steady cam action once again. Quick cut shakey cam can go right the gently caress to hell - John Wick and The Raid is the greatest and best gently caress you to Bourne and Taken type crap. Still want to know how the gently caress they shot the mirror hall scence sin Wick 2, that was simply gorgeous

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The problem is in FL, especially inland, thunderstorms pop up at random during the summer and it almost impossible to predict. And it's not just rain, the lighting is horrible and kills people every year.

Commuting on a bike during the summer in FL is dumb not only because of the brutal heat, but because of the unpredictable storms as well. I can't count how many times I've ended up at a 7-11 or something waiting out a storm in the summer it's a pain in the rear end.

I have to laugh as the woman who just broke the world reord for kms on a bike did it all on Florida and is right now riding to break the the 100000 mile time record... 400kms a day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 14, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Raluek posted:

Or are you that kind of rear end in a top hat? :crossarms:

Did you loving read this thread - just the last bloody page in fact - where I directly suggested someone should be given the benefit of the doubt where it comes to dangerous riding conditions or were you too keen to dash off your post to see the context correctly? And I have a long history of saying bikes are fun but dont loving die riding?

Now go back and this time RCP the concept of "She's absolutly loving crazy"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

When you are setting the most miles in a year you don't really get to not ride in a season. Same for fastest to 100,000 because that takes more than a year.

On her year attempt she only dipped below 350kms a day once due to a hurricane. And even then is she did something like 160kms.

Crazy woman beat the women's year record by 80,000kms and the outright one by 17,000kms. Looking like she'll beat the 100,000mile record by 90 days.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I can't watch GOT, or The Walking Dead for that matter. It just got too brutal for me.

Real life is bad enough for me.

Doesnt bother me. Personally I think it's rather interesting and in a lot of ways, reflects the absolute brutality of what GRRM took inspiration from - The War of the Roses. - and how the good guys actually don't win most of the time, they get a sword through the guts. And rulers in the Middle Ages were pretty drat hosed up.

To me GOT suffers from the fact that until the Red Wedding, the source material was pretty good (with some notible exceptions). After that point.... GRRM clearly loses the plot and has no idea how to rescue it. He just throws more and more poo poo at the wall, creating needless bullshit too hard to work out that is written by a toddler with crayon. The TV series follows the same decline in quality.

The other issue goes back to the notable exceptions part. There is some complete loving poo poo GRRM rear end blasted onto paper that the TV series has to follow as it's important to other plot threads, like Daenerys esp later in her wanderings. We cant skip that because dragons are obviously important vs White Walkers.. and yet it is dire writing and how bad it is is reflected on the TV.

However all that I suspect wont mater jack poo poo for season 7 as the TV writers have only the main plot points to work with now and hence a vastly narrower scope of story to base from. This is a good thing as it will allow a tight focused story without ridiculous side steps.

One thing that both GRM and Robert Jordan never learnt from Tolkein was don't loving plot bloat. Keep it focused - in all honesty Tolkein started to have this problem about the point Faramir was introduced int he Window to the West chapter but he managed to refocus and also turn the love interest trope that Eowyn looked like being into Eowyn the epic bad guy slayer and Faramir the love interest of said epic warrior.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Say there dol, merry dol, your truck is stuck-a-dillo in a field ahum-brum

Answer me this please then to decide the ever aged argument.... what the everliving gently caress are you exactly?????

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Thats only third party bodily on your rego, so if you prang into someone and put them into the hospital and a lifetime of disability your not on the hook for millions in compensation.

Doesnt cover you for any form of property tho, so if you prang into a Rolls, your well and truly up poo poo creek and will be paying that one off the rest of your life.

Third Party Property is pretty cheap tho. Altho not as stupid cheap as the Forester's comphrensive... the Liberty costs me 68 bucks a month but the Forester is only 30.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Mmm. Road car AWD should preferably behave like slightly more docile RWD, not I Can't Believe It's Not FWD.

Disagree. A good AWD system isnt RWD biased at all. The best is the way of the EVO and do a 50:50 natural spilt or have this ridicoulously complex 0:100/50:50 setup of ATTESA. Subarus work best closer to 50:50 as well and definatly do not behave like RWD nor should they. A good AWD system should allow you to AWD drift, which is where the true speed of AWD can be reached - that needs to be a bit understeery to be initially generated

I personally dont think much of AWD's that are in reality FWD's that transfer power to the rear on quasi demand but I'm also no fan of the reverse either unless it's the aforementioned ATTESA

quote:

(exaggeration, going slower and more controlled weigh transfer leads to balanced driving)

Again disgree. Doing your initial thought of beng aggressive and grabbing it by the scruff of the neck can give you the best balance. Not ham fisted stupid aggressive of course but the truth is that a AWD chassis isnt for being subtle.

quote:

I don't much like my WRX on road, on dirt it's not bad but you really have to grab it by the scruff of the neck, throw it around, and keep the throttle planted for it to not understeer

Which is why I love them on road or dirt. Attack, attack, attack :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

is about planting your foot and letting the computers sort it out.

First part is right.

Second.... EEWWWWW NO. EW. Turn the computers off, thats fun police!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oh they're only Cobalt 3s? You cheapass...

Also here's me thinking you'd done something cool and bought an old Ritchey frame instead of a 29er painted up like the oldschool.

Next he's gonna remove the freehub and go vegan

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Anybody have opinions on the new civic hatch vs a '17 Mazda 3? I'm gonna buy one or the other, but after test driving both I'm having a hell of a time deciding between them. I'd be getting the top trim in either model so they'd be 99% equal on features and amenities. They're both really fun to drive, so I'm just torn.

Mazda 3. Just simply because the new Civic is soooo godamn ugly it's offensive to bystanders

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

1st question: Can you left-foot-brake them?

Apart from the aforementioned DBW issue, the stabilty controls and other fun police can kick in and try to actively spit you off the road. I would be very leery about trying to left foot brake any modern car with the fun police switched on.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Worst case you have to swap an LS1 into it, ohhh noooooo.

RADL coming to knife you

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Would the RADL rather have an FD with no motor or an FD that's going around harassing the public, albeit with the wrong engine?

You should be ashamed you even thought about asking that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress you June I'm glad you are nearly about to gently caress off

• Locked thread