Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey good news I don't have to worry about my wife finding the title for the Explorer anymore...and after nearly 10 years I took full coverage off this like 3 months ago because it just sits in the driveway!

This doesn't even begin to demonstrate what happened to my neighborhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Your child is adorable.

She is! The oldest is great too, but she is at grandma's

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

Unfortunately I think the "took full coverage off" means he dropped from comprehensive to collision.

Everdave: was that serious wind or rain or some combination of the two or what? We had a massive storm last August that did similar damage here--power was out to our house for two days and I know a lot of people had crushed cars and damaged roofs.

Correct, I took full comprehensive coverage off of it because I felt stupid paying for it all these years and it is literally just sitting in the driveway waiting on a title and me to fix some things to make it easier to sell.

Thankfully we were out of town when it happened, neighbors swear it was a tornado but officially it was 95 mile an hour straight line winds. The picture doesn't do it justice, it literally peeled back a rock lined creek intact with the line of trees like it was nothing. It is a miracle my house is undamaged.

I have been using a chainsaw for the past 3 days I am sitting here typing and my arms are vibrating.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Locator posted:

Shouldn't that be something covered by homeowners insurance, not auto insurance given where and how it happened? Might want to check with your agent.

Yes, more than likely...BUT...I was very fortunate, massive damage all around but house fine. The city even removed all the mega trees on my street from yards (and off the explorer). Small town, nice people. I am not sure if will turn in???

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This. It's too cheap not to have it.

Man I agree, I am
Overinsured in all other areas, just literally thought I'd save $30 a month while it remained stationary. I'm not even upset though with the damage around me I am feeling blessed. But drat this would have solved a problem for me if I had kept it on!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

Rear ended someone on the way home last night in my e46 wagon. I was pissed after three days of straight bullshit at work and stewing over having to head home just so I could spend my evening remoted in fixing someone else's mistakes. Poor description of what happened: SUV in front of me was cut off by a small sedan, which immediately led to the sedan locking her brakes to not hit the stopped SEMI in front of her. SUV locks his brakes. I'm over in la-la land wondering why I put up with the clusterfuck of a job I have and catch the brake lights just as tires start to screech. Que panic braking. The damage to the wagon: A perfect square hitch imprint in my license plate. No damage was done to any of the three cars involved. Shook hands and exchanged apologizes with the SUV driver , mildly cursed at the sedan driver, and went home. Upside: It 100% reset my mood. I'm finding my boss this morning and telling him to either fix the reporting/escalation problems or I'm out.

Did I mention I did my brakes Monday night?

I'm stopping on the way home, buying a nice loving steak and having dinner with my family tonight. Best way to end the week.

Glad that is all that happened. Life is too short for bullshit!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'm going to feed is p/s fluid til it quiets down and not spend another dime on it. I seriously want to make the jump into a newer/better/faster car in April so I'm half tempted to sell both Mazdas and roll in this pile of poo poo til then.

Man I know PT cruisers get a ton of hate but does anyone remember when they came out? People would crowd around one at a gas station. I say kudos for coming out with something like that no matter how bad repairs are.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have two electric trimmers (one corded and one cordless) and they work just fine for my 3/4 acre. If I need to knock down thick brush I use the corded one otherwise charge up 2 batteries and it has worked for years.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Siochain posted:

As to electric chainsaws - anyone used one? Thoughts? I'm looking at a small saw, and have been debating electric.

I have my granddad's old sears electric chainsaw and it is still going, and I have a small one that came with a pole attachment for cutting high branches I got for $99 on Amazon (can get pretty much the same thing for $69 at harbor freight). I wouldn't want to cut a giant tree down but I have used them to cut trees up, and they are wonderful for branches and stuff.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

Didnt want to start a thread so I guess I ll ask here.

My car/truck situation has gotten ridicules so of course on top of all the toys i own I bought a 2005 crown Victoria interceptor. I basically needed a auto for the days my rebuilt knee bothers me.

Can anyone point me to a good resource for these cars namely finding replacement door panels for the rear so I can have functional and locking rear doors.

This is one of the most "parts availability" friendly cars on planet earth. What can't you find? Amazon / eBay / advance auto / your local junkyard should have every part of that vehicle no matter what you are looking for.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

DICK DICER posted:

My tweaker friend who went to the ER about the parasites we both share identical symptoms for just got his results in. Positive diagnosis for an incredibly rare flesh burrowing flat worm from Asia. Total number of cases in the USA per year: 3~5. His lawyer is talking multiple millions in settlements as there has been permanent, irreversible damage done to his body that will leave him in crippling pain the rest of his life, he my randomly go blind if one burrows through his optic nerve, and has a cat scan scheduled for tomorrow to assess brain surgery and treatment options.

In short, each and every last one of you can eat a massive, worm loaded pile of dicks

Settlements from whom? Do you have a way to be tested for this? Do you have a lawyer? Man I am on your side and always have been but a bit premature to tell us all f u. Please update us or me on what you find out. FB or text whatever. Also man Dave a lot of us sent you funds f.u. each and every last one of you a bit harsh man. I understand you are in a bad place. Best wishes.

everdave fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 9, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You are supposed to test the lines and stuff with soapy water on a gas grill (lol haven't done it in years) but barring 1 in a millions explosions propane grills are safe

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have a 50" TCL Roku TV in the living room that is new and 1080p but walking to the master bedroom where a 7 year old Samsung 720 32" the Samsung is noticeably sharper and better picture quality.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

I was on the Gulf coast last week and yeah, the storms dump a serious amount of water down.

But worse than that is Florida drivers. Ohio driving is really bad, and Florida made Ohio look like precision dancing. It is really odd to see large clumps of traffic doing 78 in a 70, only to drop down to 64, only to go back to 78... and repeat that cycle over and over without any particular cause for the mass slow downs.

I rented a Prius to see what they were like. I like the premise, and setting the dash to full-on video game mode is kinda fun, but I have never seen a more nagging, nanny-ing car in my life. Backup beeps for those inside the car only, hyperactive lane departure, all kinds of nags. But if the radar cruise thought it was too close to the car in front, it would fully turn disengage cruise without a peep. loving weird and annoying.

So yeah, it was a very Florida trip.

You can turn half that poo poo off in a deep sub-menu and most of the rest off with a Bluetooth code reader and torque or what have you. Also found it funny today on TTAC where a writer had such a poo poo show time with a rented $42k Durango and its start-stop engine (it turns the ac off wtf?) and the little shitbox baby Prius C I bought has near instant cold no motor running AC and it obviously keeps it on non-stop WTF FCA?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

What year? It might be that main relay problem that seems to happen to just about every Accord at some point, something about one of the (circuit) boards getting too hot I think?

MAIN RELAY is always the answer. Unless you have some newish Honda.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Have done that. Twice. Also did the distributor, IAC valve, and all in I've spent almost $2000 on repairs for this problem and it's going nowhere.

Worst of all no mechanic can get it to consistently happen. Even when I tell them it needs to warm up and actually see some use before it does it. So they send me a bill and say "can't make it fail, sorry" and then not two weeks later it fails and leaves me stranded somewhere.

It's incredibly frustrating and if I didn't live in an apartment building with nothing resembling a workshop or even a place I could park it and work on it under I would just start ripping poo poo out and replacing it myself, but gently caress it, at this rate I'm going to spend more than the cost of an actual new warrantied car in throwing money into this thing for no result. I've been driving 20+ year old cars for a while now and I think it's time I finally buy something modern and that I want.

What year car? Have you done that board in the distributor (assuming we are even talking same generations)

Edit OMG if it is a 20!year old Honda indeed and you are on AI please find chassis appropriate forums somewhere on interwebs and your exact problem has been detailed in 1000 posts down to pictures of step by step how to do it if you are new to tools. You have spent $2k?

everdave fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 17, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

'99. Complete replacement of the mentioned parts.

Plus it's a BX7A transmission with 19 years on it so god knows when it's going to grenade itself.

Man I edited my post find a Honda specific forum and dear god don't spend any more money at random mechanics

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah. There's a whole forum for this generation of Accord it seems. Hopefully they have experienced this before.

I'm just getting kind of tired of throwing money at it and having the supposed experts say "yeah it's good now" then two weeks later oh wait it's not good.

I've been fighting with this for five months now and it's getting to the point where I can't even go to the grocery store on my way home to work now because it's a crapshoot as to whether or not my car will start in the parking lot.

Of course nothing is 100% but if a Honda doesn't want to start after its hot or hot outside it is lovely American made solders (really) in a relay or computer or whatever. It boggles my mind that you have thrown 2k at a 99 accord but I am not judging! I am more familiar with previous gen but honestly go to a forum be nice and I have no doubt someone can pinpoint what you need. Been out of the Honda game a while but no hot start is lovely relay/computer somewhere

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
First fix yo car son! But no one gonna be mad if you pick up an 86

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Something like that in Australia would be good. They look to be about $350-400 here but I'll look into them

I haven't shipped to Australia in a long time but I can get new Vostro 1400 motherboards for $50-100 what is shipping from US? Also I understand the love I had one new was a great machine even with Vista, upgraded RAM and HD and eventually Win 7 only reason I sold it someone I worked with saw it wanted it and paid more than I had in it after using it a few years. As far as I know they still have it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fo3 posted:

I've given up on other options so where can I get one from?

I can order from a parts supplier here, message me if you really want to do this but new laptops are cheap these days, but I can help if you want to do a new mobo.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I just got offered a trade on the PT Cruiser.

A fuckin' Festiva!
This may not be appealing to you but I have watched with interest the amount of salvage/rebuilt Focus ST and a few RS's popping up. Wrecked right and fixed right could be a hell of a bargain.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It's appealing as hell but they don't have pictures of the car and as the story goes it's been sitting in a backyard for two years so I doubt it's worth salvaging.

I'm talking about fully rebuilt ones on eBay that go for $12-18k, 2016's with 5k mikes

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fo3 posted:

New laptops not so cheap here. For $500 I would have to get a smaller screen (I like the 14"), or have something non upgradeable/repairable and just built real cheap. I'd need to spend $700 for something equivalent, and even then, that's what the lenovo e520 cost and I don't like it as much as the vostro. Send me an email at p.hough7 at gmail

I will follow up with you tomorrow

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

?? The festiva was only around for a few years in the early 90's. It's a captive Mazda or Suzuki IIRC

I am talking about 2016 Focus not anything about Festiva which I am very familiar with as I once rode home 500+ miles in one from Panama City

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

LoL, we got our wires crossed. Somebody offered me a Festiva in trade for the PT.

I would rather have a Festiva than a PT and they actually went for good money (relatively) during $4 gas. Go ahead and throw a Fiesta in there too. Just no Aspire (shudder). Though there are plenty of PT's in my small town and I know these people don't maintain them so some last. They are everywhere.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Well we're gonna see if this PT power steering issue can be easily fixed (patched with JB weld lol) on Saturday and then decide if I keep driving it or put it up for sale. It really is in great shape, year old tires, 18 month old shock and the heat and AC both work so I figure I can get at least a grand out of it. Then I'll buy my friends that gave it to me lunch and feel cool with it.

Why are you messing with that? Just get a new hose drat son.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It's not easy to swap, you have to take out the grill, drain and remove the radiator and a few other things. It's a loving PT Cruiser.

Assume the service position come on! Ha hope it works.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

aaaaand I just found out there may be a harbor freight coming into my neighborhood potentially in the next year or so. I'm afraid for my wallet.

My experience has been the opposite hello $12 after coupon nailer that I have already shot 1k plus brads/nails through and is awesome. $9 air comp acc kit. Free volt meter that let me diagnose my water heater. Have only had it a few months I am saving money. And so many free tarps/screwdrivers/whatever

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

My wife and I are waiting on the paperwork to go through so we can buy a car from a vending machine. Truly, this is the future.

Are you getting it from the one in Nashville? Are you going to go and pick it up out of "the machine"?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I haven't either, mainly because modern OS's are supposed to handle that poo poo for you.

Key phrase being "supposed to".

I doubt I'll see any real performance boost, since the big drive is purely movies/tv shows/music, but the 1TB has some applications on it, along with my Plex database.

I have worked on at least 1-2k computers the past 2 years. You don't need to defrag anymore. Don't overcomplicate your life.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I hope my freebie top loading washer and accompanying dryer never die. My neighbors gave them to me, they work great and have no problems, and I'd hate to have to replace the drat things.

FTW mine that got thrown in with the house (maytag) 9 years ago and they were probably 5-10 years old at that point. Please keep going. I can afford new just don't want.

Other chat my auger that has set a month with a full tank of tru-fuel would tn start today. Of course I only tried after 8-10 hours of fence work today but I am out of business on fence unless I can dig more holes and I gotta go down 3-4 feet.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I know I may be insane but I think the new civic hatch looks awesome in white.

I finally got a used led tail light shipped from Canada for a reasonable price and installed a curt trailer hitch on my wife's Prius c for an upcoming Florida trip where I want to use a cargo carrier. The hitch install could not have been simpler if I had listened to the instructions and actually supported the inner bumper like they told me to. Instead two hours of micro adjustments alone on my back in the gravel with mosquitos feasting on me. But it is done. (Follow instructions)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Midniter posted:

Was this a dick move? We're the customers and buying a car is a big decision and a major purchase, so I feel like we were within our rights to do this. What does AI think?

You did the exact right thing. It is your money, and you are in control.

I was ready to buy a new Hyundai last year and fulfilled everything I said I would do except I had clear instructions not to call me, not to pull normal car dealer poo poo. And the bumbling idiot salesman couldn't resist and called me multiple times a day. So I told the dealer forget it and to never contact me again. In hindsight I am glad it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

Where are you going to be Aug 21 for the Eclipse?
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

I'm a few (OK, 6 or so) hours from seeing possibly the best chance at a total eclipse in my life. Mrs Slidebite and I decided we'd best try to see it.

Best/closest area is in the middle of butt-gently caress nowhere, Idaho, only to discover hotel rooms solidly booked for Pocatello and Idaho Falls already. Being the height of summer probably doesn't help matters much. Ended up just booking Butte, Mt which is 3 hours North from the main path of totality but works well because we can take in Lewis and Clark caverns the day before and just need to leave the room by 7AM to be ~somewhere~ in the path to see it.

Those of you in the US and SW Canada, are you going to try to see it?

Passing almost directly over my town, I will be in my backyard with beer

• Locked thread