Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mackson
I don't know if you guys heard about this article on New York Times about honeybees vanishing?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/15/opinion/bees-and-colony-collapse.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
good

slumpy

Big Mackson

What? Noooooooo.

Slumpy
i hope more die im gonna go kill some right now

slumpy

Big Mackson

Slumpy posted:

i hope more die im gonna go kill some right now

*looking upset*

Cheese and Crackers...

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
mark wahlberg said in the happening that we should just accept this as an act of god that we weren't meant to understand

FactsAreUseless

Colony collapse is no longer an issue, but nice article from 2014. It vanished as quickly as it appeared. The big challenges facing honeybees right now, in descending order: varroa mite, lack of good forage, trouble safely wintering. Varroa mite's pretty scary though, it can cause major die-offs.

FactsAreUseless

You may be wondering why I know a bunch of bee facts, however, *a single bee crawls out from under my eyelid before I manage to adjust my skin*

Robot Made of Meat

Counterpoint: Bad.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i would agree, the new york times is the greatest menace to bees yet. we must stop these monsters who are hell-bent on their bee-killing-rampage with a-lot-of-hyphenation-happening.

FactsAreUseless

A good start: https://www.epa.gov/pollinator-protection/colony-collapse-disorder

This page hasn't been Trumpified, the info's the same as it was a year ago. Certain pesticides are also an issue, but the research is still coming in w/r/t their impact. A certain amount of pesticide is needed to kill varroa mite. It's why the only organic honey you'll find is from Mexico or the southern US. "Africanized" honeybees were real - an African subspecies of Apis m. (American honeybees are all Italian, and importing new bees is illegal due to disease concerns) interbred with many North American hives. But they don't like cold weather, so they didn't get far north. They're more aggressive and harder to care for, but also resistant to Varroa mite, so they don't need as many pesticides. They're less popular due to the difficulty though, but they were so successful at breeding that the Italian honeybee line no longer exists once you go south too far. Unfortunately, interbreeding bees for specific traits is very difficult, because honey bee genetics is completely insane.

cda

by Hand Knit
the biggest threat to bees is theyre bullshit little fuckers

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit

Infrateal posted:

Constellations Rearranged
SKY: looker-uppers report that someone moved all the stars into new shapes. "The big dipper is now a big dick," says a man with his face craned heavenward, "Orion's Belt now has a buckle that says "gently caress you." Many talkers are saying that bees did it. "There's a big constellation that's a picture of a bee flipping us the bird with all six limbs," says a flopping mouth. When asked for comment, bees stung us. It hurt real bad.

----------------

Slumpy

stopped reading

slumpy

jazzyhattrick

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Colony collapse is no longer an issue, but nice article from 2014. It vanished as quickly as it appeared. The big challenges facing honeybees right now, in descending order: varroa mite, lack of good forage, trouble safely wintering. Varroa mite's pretty scary though, it can cause major die-offs.

What if we developed some kind of virus that specifically attacked the varroa mites? Would africanizing more bees help at all?

cda

by Hand Knit
What if we told bees to suck up and deal. What if we told those little bitches to learn to handle their poo poo, get their attitudes straight, and stop counting on us to bail them out every god drat time

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
what if bees were Jerry Seinfeld

Macnult

jazzyhattrick posted:

What if we developed some kind of virus that specifically attacked the varroa mites? Would africanizing more bees help at all?

developing a virus is a waste of time what we really need is a gym for bees to train against varroa mites and outdated articles

Macnult

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what if bees were Jerry Seinfeld

if there were no bees there would be no Jerry Seinfeld

FactsAreUseless

jazzyhattrick posted:

It's extremely hard to breed a virus that wouldn't mutate and start killing bees. By their nature, viruses change quickly.

The issues with using the African subspecies to breed for varroa resistance are twofold: 1. That same subspecies is vulnerable to cold, hence why it didn't naturally spread north, and 2. they're more aggressive and harder to keep and use.

The latter matters because when we talk about honeybee sustainability, we aren't talking about the survival of the species. Honeybees, like most animals we raise domestically, are a fast-breeding, highly efficient exotic species. They're essentially an invasive species. Some bees are threatened, but not honeybees. In North America it's largely solitary wild bees of various sorts, like bumblebees, which don't hive or produce honey.

Instead, it's a question of economic sustainability. There's a lot of money to be made in beekeeping, but it's a big initial investment and a huge risk. It's normal to lose about 40 percent of your bees annually. That's just built into the costs. But bad year can ruin a beekeeper financially: the bulk of their income isn't from honey, but from renting bees out to farms as pollinators. By far the biggest time of year for that is the California almond bloom, and that hits very soon after winter. A bad winter means a beekeeper might not have his bees ready to rent out in time for the almonds, and that's a huge income loss. Varroa mite weakens bees and makes them more likely to die in winter.

This all means younger people aren't getting into beekeeping. Beekeepers are increasingly older, and many are aging out. It's a particularly brutal job even for agriculture: one keeper told me that it's routine to barely sleep for two or three weeks at a time when things get rough, because bees need so much attention.

That means fewer bees available to rent as pollinators, and that drives up rental costs, which in turn drives up food costs. Honeybee extinction isn't going to happen, no matter how hysterical the report, but honeybee health problems mean potential price jumps for both producers and consumers.

alnilam

we should permaban varroa mites, imo

cda

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLJvPEa6gI

----------------

Darkman Fanpage

alnilam posted:

we should permaban varroa mites, imo

okay we'll start with you :D

cda

by Hand Knit
I'm going to murder millions of bees with a bazooka

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
you cant spell hive without HIV

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
pollinate my rear end with hate

----------------

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
i can,t believe that nobody has made a wicker man joke yet

alnilam

Darkman Fanpage posted:

okay we'll start with you :D

:doh:

Big Mackson

cda posted:

alnilam

cda posted:

good luck setting off the impact trigger on their tiny bodies!!!

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
just when you thought there couldn't be any more evil that can be invented

Big Mackson

Sham bam bamina! posted:

just when you thought there couldn't be any more evil that can be invented

:stare:

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
can you believe how crappy people are?!

Big Mackson
Jared: Got kids?

cda

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

good luck setting off the impact trigger on their tiny bodies!!!

I'm going to squish them with it

Slumpy
sorry guys im back, im pretty sure they're all loving dead now :twisted:

slumpy

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

Bees!? Why, o' bees?? :(

Macnult

The day I realized my PlayStation memory card corrupted due to a bee infestation was the day I knew

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is sad because 🐝 is my 🐝 favourite 🐝 emoji 🐝

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.

everyone always makes bees look cute and stuff but have you ever realized they will just kill themselves just to let you know they are piossed off? super metal

• Locked thread