Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I'm gonna be moving into a new apartment in a couple of months, and since my new place doesn't have as much space as where I'm living now, I need to sell or otherwise get rid of a bunch of things before I move. I'd like to avoid taking stuff to the dump as much as possible, so I'm wondering what my best options are as far as selling stuff goes.

I've never really done this before so I'm hoping A/T might be able to help me out. I know there's a lot of options out there for people selling their old stuff, but I'd like to know which one(s) people have the most success with. Craigslist? eBay? Letgo? Some other app? I also haven't ruled out donating some of it, but since I need money to cover moving costs I'd like to save that as a second-to-last resort before taking things to the dump.

Here's a few of the things I'm trying to get rid of:
- A vacuum cleaner
- A set of kitchen knives
- A Brinkmann grill/smoker
- A glass TV table I bought at Walmart
- A full-size memory foam mattress (this one might be kinda tough since used mattresses can be hard to sell)
- A full-size "low profile" boxspring (unopened in its original plastic wrapping, but, still, mattress-related so might be hard to unload)
- A huge ceramic planter pot
- A dip/pull-up station
- There's more, but it's in storage so I can't list it all right now

Again, I only have about two months to unload as much stuff as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I forgot to mention I live in an apartment now, so I can't really do a garage sale.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Garage sale or craigslist are probably your best options, since it sounds like most of the stuff you're trying to get rid of is heavy/bulky and probably not worth trying to ship.

Or take it all to Goodwill and just write it off on your taxes (except the mattress, pretty sure they don't take those.)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
If you use Facebook, absolutely flood it with links to your craigslist ads, make sure they're set to "friends of friends" visibility and ask people to share the links and that you'll make a deal with people you know. Reshare them every day.
I know this sounds annoying in theory but I've see whole garage sales worth of poo poo get sold just off Facebook from peoples acquaintances.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Has anybody at all used Letgo? I brought that up in the OP because it seemed like it might be easier to use than Craigslist.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Amazon also has a "trade-in" section that you can check out, and it accepts all sorts of things. You won't get great money for stuff, but it's really easy to use.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're on Facebook there's probably a local buy/sell/trade group you can join. Potentially safer and less skeevy than Craigslist too since there's some vestige of a profile attached. Take some decent pictures, throw some prices up and get ready for haggles and probably weird trade offers.

If you haven't gotten rid of everything from that, take it to a thrift store or Goodwill and write it off on your taxes if you think it's worth it. Goodwill does take mattresses from what I've seen (although I'd have to be pretty hard up to buy one from there, I'm terrified of bedbugs after having a neighbor deal with them from a bad hotel).

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Stanos posted:

Goodwill does take mattresses from what I've seen (although I'd have to be pretty hard up to buy one from there, I'm terrified of bedbugs after having a neighbor deal with them from a bad hotel).
They don't take them around here, but they do heat treat and tag any other furniture and even pillows as having been heat treated to get rid of bedbugs.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Actually I was wrong and goodwill doesn't take mattresses at all, I just spaced and forgot that it was the thrift store across the street from my closest goodwill that has them. Probably from people who attempted to drop them off and got told no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Stanos posted:

Actually I was wrong and goodwill doesn't take mattresses at all, I just spaced and forgot that it was the thrift store across the street from my closest goodwill that has them. Probably from people who attempted to drop them off and got told no.

Search around for a local mattress recycler. There is one near my house that will take them for free.

• Locked thread