Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

canadianclassic posted:

I'm not an Angels fan in any way but god drat if I'm not depressed for Mike Trout

He's never going to win another MVP again, is he?

He's gonna come back August 1st and mash for two straight months and end up with 30+ dingers despite missing two full months. It's going to rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Johan v. Jaime

I wasn't at the game, but I fuckin' watched it :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Waino is the first Cardinal in the modern era to homer in a victory and have his RBI tally equal the team’s total runs scored (also a shutout). Cool stat! Pitcher dingers!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

Dex with the subtle "W" on his shoes, I feel like a certain Twitter feed is going to be a gold mine this afternoon.

Maybe he'll decide to just stay here?

Pretty sure it says something down the tongue of his shoe, but not sure what. There is a T at the top and an S at the bottom, or that's what it looks like.

E: lol its TWO3, jordans number. Not a Cubs W. :D

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 2, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Blackmon is on pace for a whole lot of triples :stare:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

Speaking of painful trades, Freddy Garcia and Jose Guillen for 3 months of utterly dominant Randy Johnson BUT no playoff wins and he left immediately :negative:

lmao i totally forgot about 1998 playoff randy johnson, i'm so glad he got a ring.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

no, nobody here actually thought he was shouting out the symbol of his old team's victory, don't be idiotic. it's a blue W in almost exactly the same font and made for a good photo.

people absolutely thought that though, lol

Sydin posted:

:unsmith:

He's gonna hit a lead-off homer, and I won't even be mad.

also lol

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

by 'here' I mean the front office, not SAS or twitter

Ahhhhhhh I forgot you work there. Yea, I would hope not, haha. Good way to troll the twitter feed though, I like it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

Without looking it up iirc he got zero runs in support in his two starts. gently caress Kevin Brown

e: I was wrong he had one run each game

1 run in game 4. 1.93 ERA, 14IP, 11 K/9, and he was 0-2. Astros Randy Johnson owned. He took 7th in the cy young that year with 84 innings pitched.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Kevin Brown was legitimately great for like 7 straight years in the heart of the steroid era.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

iospace posted:

Also, while there's probably some shitheads around here who will defend Braun as the greatest Brewer ever (somehow forgetting Yount existed), one gets the feeling he's sort of... there for a lot of fans. He's not the face of the franchise anymore (it went from him to Lucroy, and now Thames is), he's always hurt, and his performance has fallen off big time.

lmao at Thames, a 30 year old guy who is signed for three years and had one great month, being the face of the franchise.

Ryan Braun, 127 OPS+ since the PED incident has had his performance fall off big time. I don't defend him as a person, but dude can hit.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

not when he's missing 100+ games due to injury he can't

He has 1,700+ PA's the last three years. He has a top 6 outfielder wRC+ with a minimum of 1700 PA's from 2014-2016. Only 25 other players have 1700+ PA's for the outfield position in that time period. (I know I know arbitrary cut off point in a sense, but he plays a decent amount of time)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I feel like you're missing the key point and that is gently caress Ryan Braun.

I know I know. But all I ever hear is "gently caress Ryan Braun he loving sucks." And the second part just isn't true, at all.

Poque posted:

that's fine but we're talking about comparative performance for a single player. When healthy he is still an extremely impactful player but you can't just laugh off injury concerns, they add up

And I'm arguing the injury concerns aren't as big of a deal as a lot of people make them out to be. Literally only 25 other players got the PA's in the outfield he did. So much for being injured constantly.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kirios posted:

no one is saying he loving sucks as a baseball player

he loving sucks as a human being

how is this difficult to understand

"he's always hurt, and his performance has fallen off big time"

Also, I'm from in between Milwaukee and Chicago and can confirm that I hear all the god drat time that "Ryan Braun sucks at baseball" from both Brewers and Cubs fans. Which is why I go on and on about how I think Ryan Braun is actually a pretty drat good hitter. Sorry for the derail. He sucks a bunch (as a human).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Astros (13.5) and Nationals (10.5) are a combined 24 games up. The NL East and AL West are hot garbage. The Braves are in second place with 24-30 :stare:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kirios posted:

We may be forced to trade for a starter...

That's not a great position to be in.

With the way the Cardinals have been playing, Lance Lynn should be available at some point. Along with Rosenthal and Oh.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I dunno, he was a top 5 prospect. I don't think the businesses that are MLB teams would just give up on that because of domestic violence. It's a lovely business. He's 23 and literally got MVP votes last year.

Not trying to downplay domestic violence, at all, but I think you forget that a lot of rich people don't give a poo poo and want to win.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

The Astros aren't a team that makes big splashes in the trade market. They won't be going for a Gray or Archer or Quintana.

Hot take: Lance Lynn is better than all three of those pitchers, and will probably be available. Although only a ~2 month rental, while the guys you mention would be longer term trades.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Abel Wingnut posted:

cards might be firing matheny. they're hosting a conference to announce 'coaching changes'.

Wishful thinking. Maloney reassigned. Jhonny DFA.

I'm getting the things I asked for finally, (Jhonny gone, Adams traded) but it's too bad the club couldn't see this in say, November, like any other rational thinking fan saw. This team is run very poorly :(

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 9, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

cis autodrag posted:

Or am I just getting wooshed on a run of deliberately disingenuous posts?

Just some jokes. They know he is adopted and his mother actually loves him.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Nelson Cruz contract was extremely good.

296/368/560 152OPS+ 11.7bWAR through 2.5 years of a 4/57. My goodness.

His WAR value is basically the same it was with 8 years of Texas.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 13, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/874692234544852992

This man needs to be traded for cash considerations at some point in the future.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm ready for the next Jim Abbott.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I didn't realize Abbott was the 8th overall pick. What a loving badass.

An even more fun fact is he went straight to MLB. No minors.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I'm too afraid to ask what happens during Christian Day and what role Lance Berkman plays in it.

He's going to make a speech about how nice Christians are and his experiences being Christian in a public setting.

Also, STL is doing a pride night this year, the team announced. Of course, there is controversy and horrible things being said about this.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

cis autodrag posted:

:yeah:

if they succumb to Attanasio's "win now" sickness this year I will be hecka upset. I just want to watch rookies play good and find their stride and worry about playoffs a couple seasons down the line.

Hopefully, for the Brewers fans sake, his "win now" sickness turns into actually spending good money on good players instead of allowing the team to trade the farm and spend lovely money like last time.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Beltran never led the league in anything. But to be fair, he certainly should have had an MVP-2 in 2006. Beltran is a really, really, really good player. I think he should be in the hall, but if he just plays three more years he will be a lock with 3k hits :)

Also, Carlos Beltran has more games and PA's with the Mets than the Royals and was probably the best part of his career.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 19, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

Watching the Cardinals continue to fail miserably makes me wonder, do they have any pieces that they could sell at the deadline for a decent return? Oh, Rosey, Lynn or Gyorko seem like the possible candidates but I have no idea what their demand could be.

Lynn, Rosey, and Oh certainly. Please don't get rid of Gyorko. He still has a 3/29 left and has been one of the better players the last year and a half. They desperately need to revamp the bullpen. Waino is certainly dead, but Reyes is back next year and Flaherty seems to be performing very well this year. Everyone that should be hitting IS hitting right now, it just happens that the whole pitching staff also decided to suck, real bad (besides C-Mart). I don't think they are winning anything at all this year, so I'd rather get rid of those three guys sooner than later for maybe some random lucky prospects.

Mike_V posted:

Do you think Mo views the Cards as sellers? Would ownership allow ~THE CARDINALS~ to be sellers?

I sure as hell hope he does in his own mind. But not a seller as in "we need to rebuild" sellers. The Cardinals are sellers that need to rebound next year by preferably firing Matheny and revamping the pitching.

The Cardinals as a team OPSed .900 the last 7 days and went 2-5

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 19, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Do a lot of the Japanese players, or Asian players, bring along their own translator still? I remember Ichiro having his own and I think he was a good friend of his too.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Of the top 40 or so game scores for pitchers this year Scherzer will be the only one on that list with a loss :lol:

lmao this picture owns

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 21, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's probably about trying to win the division and Schwarber certainly isn't helping the team win games at this point in time.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Probably a lot of "hey this guy gets on base at an extraordinary rate at all the levels he has been at" too. I wouldn't really call it a breakout season, as he did pretty much the same thing OPS wise in 2016 as well. Also he was a 3rd round draft pick, so he is obviously highly thought of with the Cubs. Also, 24 years old isn't "old" for AAA. Also he's the Cubs 6th ranked prospect.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

He was stupidly good in the Cubs two previous post seasons though, and since he was knocked out of the 2016 regular season more or less immediately his post season results stick out the most.

Stupidly good as in he hit 6 singles and a double in the WS last year?

He certainly did mash in the 15 PA's he got against PIT and STL though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/878272228072095744

Read replies at your own risk.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
To be fair this happens everywhere when they announce a pride night. Even the Seattle twitter had some hot takes when they announced pride night (which was last night).

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/873662569717936128

The internet is a bad, bad place for hot takes about social issues that largely don't affect others. :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

BGrifter posted:

I don't know how to cope with a world where the Mariners have a winning record. :psyduck:

38-37 :stare:

Mariners 38-37, 12.5 games back of first, 1 game back of the wild card.

Cardinals 33-38, 5 games back of first, 12 games back of the wild card.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That might be the winner.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I was going to say the Cubs could use Granderson :shrug:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

tadashi posted:

Also, browsers suck for watching MLB.TV, in the experience of me and many people I know. There is an app for MLB.TV available for PC and Mac and I recommend using that instead of your browser.

This app is HORRIBLE this year for me. Is it just me? I constantly get errors, I can't even choose the broadcast team without getting errors. The best app is the phone app, it works flawlessly. My LG tv app and Xbone app also suck. Lots of lag and pausing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I was looking into back to back RoY performances from the same team, didn't think it happened much, but I was wrong.

1992: Eric Karros LAD
1993: Mike Piazza LAD
1994: Raul Mondesi LAD
1995: Hideo Nomo LAD
1996: Todd Hollandsworth LAD

:stare:

Athletics and Dodgers also hit three in a row. Several teams have hit back to back RoY's.

Sasaki and Suzuki were back to back for the Mariners. Totally forgot about Sasaki, he owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

So was Montero DFA'd because of his comment? He was actually hitting pretty well this season so I'm kinda confused why they did it.

Uh yea?

He blamed his teammates for himself sucking at his job and said these things to the media in a long rant. I don't think the Cubs care about his 800 OPS in 100 PA's which most of stemmed from him getting hot for two weeks.

Also, they literally have another guy, that CAN throw runners out, with the same pitchers! It was a death rant.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 28, 2017

• Locked thread