Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

He's a cheating fraud gently caress who stole the MVP from Matt Kemp by shoving needles up his rear end, then wiggled out of it because of a dumb technicality around the delivery of his urine sample. He's also a huge rear end in a top hat who does cool things like openly make fun of a mentally handicapped bat girl while the camera is on him in the dugout.

Basically gently caress Ryan Braun.

whoah, i didn't hear about this one. link? either way what a loving dick. i can tolerate drug use if it makes my team better cuz that's his body and his choice, but absolutely gently caress anyone who mistreats the disabled or fucks with someone's job to get out of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Timby posted:

Braun got popped in 2011 for elevated levels of testosterone. In February 2012, he challenged the test on a chain of custody issue (the guy who took the sample, instead of immediately shipping it to the testing facility, kept it in a refrigerator in his basement over the weekend before taking it to FedEx), and actually suggested that the sample-taker was an anti-Semite. Ultimately arbitrator Shyam Das upheld Braun's challenge, saying there was enough validity to the appeal that his suspension was to be overturned. MLB was absolutely livid about it, and actually fired Das over the decision.

Anyway, Braun held a press conference after his appeal was upheld, and had the balls to say this:

A year later, his name popped up in connection with Biogenesis, and he wound up being suspended for the last third of the 2013 season plus the playoffs.

Wasn't there also something about how the cup had a crack or the bag had a tear or something and he put it in a second bag?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He also tried to say he was framed by an anti-semitic lab worker who was then fired because of Braun's accusations even though it wasn't true.

So yes, gently caress Ryan Braun.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

cis autodrag posted:

yeah, i was yelling all last year how stupid it was that they weren't trying to sell him off when he had like 3 months of uninjured high-performance baseball. his trade value hit a high watermark somewhere around last August and they just did nothing with him. probably because his contract is really fuckin big and he's a dick with a reputation for being injury prone.

it shouldn't be any surprise that they're pushing guys like Thames, Arcia, and Peres as faces of the franchise now because braun is toxic even among brewer fans. we ignored what an rear end he was through the steroid thing because he was good and helped our team. but now he's just sitting with dumb injuries all the time and he tried to murder jean segura with a baseball bat so we're all just kind of over him now.

Uh, what?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Wasn't there also something about how the cup had a crack or the bag had a tear or something and he put it in a second bag?

No, it was that the guy put the piss cup in a plastic container when he stored it in the fridge; Braun suggested that could have contaminated the sample even though the seal was unbroken when the testing facility received it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kensei posted:

Uh, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7ocRVI7AI

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Intruder posted:

And then Aaron Rodgers bet to give a fan his salary if Braun had actually taken PEDs, so sure was he that it wasn't true

No word on how that went

Rodgers was so pissed about what happened that the restaurant they opened together, named "8-twelve" in the MKE suburbs almost promptly got renamed. https://www.eater.com/2013/9/20/6367519/ryan-braun-aaron-rodgers-wisconsin-restaurant-8-twelve-gets-renamed

Popete posted:

So yes, gently caress Ryan Braun.

I was so hoping he was going to get traded last year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Who the hell does warm up swings in the dugout?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Who the hell does warm up swings in the dugout?

Not A Team Player

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Three top 100's and 3 of the top 6 prospects, including the #1 for the Astros wouldn't be enough?

No way in hell I'd want Quintana for that. Maybe someone like Daz Cameron would be added as a high risk / reward prospect

Regardless, Martes is doing.... not well, this season so far

I'm thinking it would cost something like Paulino/Fisher/Tucker and then a B prospect or two

Maybe sub Tucker out for Whitley

e: lol if you think Daz moves the needle on any trade at this point as well

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 5, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, while there's probably some shitheads around here who will defend Braun as the greatest Brewer ever (somehow forgetting Yount existed), one gets the feeling he's sort of... there for a lot of fans. He's not the face of the franchise anymore (it went from him to Lucroy, and now Thames is), he's always hurt, and his performance has fallen off big time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Prince and CC were the greatest Brewers by the strictest definition of the word

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

(somehow forgetting Yount existed)

How many guys have won an MVP without making the all star game out of curiosity?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
The thing that owned the most about Prince Fielder was when he hit an inside-the-park homerun and the graphic of his baserunning path for it was just a circle.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
That Stan Ross guy almost got 3,000 hits.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

How many guys have won an MVP without making the all star game out of curiosity?

Ty Cobb didn't make the all star game

Of course, they didn't have it when he won MVP

ThePeavstenator posted:

The thing that owned the most about Prince Fielder was when he hit an inside-the-park homerun and the graphic of his baserunning path for it was just a circle.

I totally forgot he did that :allears: I remember the outfielder being pissed saying it got stuck under the fence while Prince just trucks around the bases.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Checked Terry Pendleton on a hunch, and he makes the list.

Edit : There's been a few.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/mlb/the-mvp-s-that-weren-t-all-stars.aspx

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

Off the top of my head, Chipper in 1999, Morneau in ... 2006?, and I'm almost positive Kirk Gibson got jobbed from the ASG in 1988.

And I think Juan Gonzalez sat at home in like 1996 because Brady Anderson had that bonkers "no sir, I absolutely am not juicing" season where he hit 50 dingers out of nowhere.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cis autodrag posted:

whoah, i didn't hear about this one. link? either way what a loving dick. i can tolerate drug use if it makes my team better cuz that's his body and his choice, but absolutely gently caress anyone who mistreats the disabled or fucks with someone's job to get out of trouble.

Of course now that I'm looking for it I can't find it. I swear I remember us remarking on it in a GDT last year but I can't find a video or even an article and you'd think that would have raised something of a fuss. Maybe I'm misremembering the situation/player. :shrug:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poque posted:

Heyward still in third among outfielders :c00l:

CATCHER
1. Buster Posey, Giants: 917,359
2. Willson Contreras, Cubs: 511,029
3. Yadier Molina, Cardinals: 478,406
4. Matt Wieters, Nationals: 300,980
5. Yasmani Grandal, Dodgers: 241,497

FIRST BASE
1. Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals: 670,671
2. Anthony Rizzo, Cubs: 657,702
3. Freddie Freeman, Braves: 401,982
4. Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs: 363,431
5. Matt Carpenter, Cardinals: 214,324

SECOND BASE
1. Daniel Murphy, Nationals: 1,149,130
2. Javier Baez, Cubs: 715,928
3. Brandon Phillips, Braves: 185,862
4. DJ LeMahieu, Rockies: 175,435
5. Kolten Wong, Cardinals: 171,848

THIRD BASE
1. Kris Bryant, Cubs: 895,752
2. Nolan Arenado, Rockies: 613,571
3. Justin Turner, Dodgers, 362,952
4. Anthony Rendon, Nationals: 295,369
5. Jedd Gyorko, Cardinals: 275,281

SHORTSTOP
1. Corey Seager, Dodgers: 604,783
2. Zack Cozart, Reds: 547,750
3. Addison Russell, Cubs: 537,688
4. Chris Owings, D-backs: 328,217
5. Trea Turner, Nationals: 323,751

OUTFIELD
1. Bryce Harper, Nationals: 1,459,235
2. Charlie Blackmon, Rockies: 979,961
3. Jason Heyward, Cubs: 498,079
4. Ben Zobrist, Cubs: 472,114
5. Matt Kemp, Braves: 457,586
6. Kyle Schwarber, Cubs: 423,394
7. Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins: 398,569
8. Marcell Ozuna, Marlins: 392,973
9. Yoenis Cespedes, Mets: 327,116
10. Dexter Fowler, Cardinals: 268,545
11. Jay Bruce, Mets: 245,634
12. Jayson Werth, Nationals: 236,367
13. Adam Duvall, Reds: 234,099
14. Yasiel Puig, Dodgers: 206,743
15. Ryan Braun, Brewers: 188,192

Just realized the Cubs put 3 corner outfielders on the ballot. Kind of a dick move but I guess there's no :airquote:rule:airquote: you have to put 1 each of LF/CF/RF on the ballot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

Also

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/842500432031186944

:jerkbag: sorry for wasting your time, guy who makes like 19 million a year

Honestly I am kind of into this. Get to the meaningful games!

(Unless you're Greg Bird or Masahiro Tanaka, then stay in Spring Training forever.)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

iospace posted:

Also, while there's probably some shitheads around here who will defend Braun as the greatest Brewer ever (somehow forgetting Yount existed), one gets the feeling he's sort of... there for a lot of fans. He's not the face of the franchise anymore (it went from him to Lucroy, and now Thames is), he's always hurt, and his performance has fallen off big time.

lmao at Thames, a 30 year old guy who is signed for three years and had one great month, being the face of the franchise.

Ryan Braun, 127 OPS+ since the PED incident has had his performance fall off big time. I don't defend him as a person, but dude can hit.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I don't defend him as a person, but dude can hit.

not when he's missing 100+ games due to injury he can't

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Which he did one time.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Lol at that player for getting injured. What a loving loser ahahaha.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

When that player is Ryan Braun, I am at peace with this

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

not when he's missing 100+ games due to injury he can't

He has 1,700+ PA's the last three years. He has a top 6 outfielder wRC+ with a minimum of 1700 PA's from 2014-2016. Only 25 other players have 1700+ PA's for the outfield position in that time period. (I know I know arbitrary cut off point in a sense, but he plays a decent amount of time)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

I don't think it's irrelevant to bring up his injury concerns over the past four seasons or so. OPS+ is an average stat so it is only impactful in the games he's able to play. I don't remember exactly when the PED event was so I was just looking from 2014 to present (couldn't remember how much of his 2013 was missed due to injury or suspension). 27 + 22 + 27 + 27 is a significant number of games per season to miss when you're supposed to be the big bat in the lineup.

his OPS+ has been fine but his highest bWAR in the past four seasons was 4.4 last season. His overall impact has definitely "fallen off big time" when he's sitting at 9.2 combined bWAR across the last 3 1/3 seasons

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He has 1,700+ PA's the last three years. He has a top 6 outfielder wRC+ with a minimum of 1700 PA's from 2014-2016. Only 25 other players have 1700+ PA's for the outfield position in that time period. (I know I know arbitrary cut off point in a sense, he plays a decent amount of time)

that's fine but we're talking about comparative performance for a single player. When healthy he is still an extremely impactful player but you can't just laugh off injury concerns, they add up

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He has 1,700+ PA's the last three years. He has a top 6 outfielder wRC+ with a minimum of 1700 PA's from 2014-2016. Only 25 other players have 1700+ PA's for the outfield position in that time period.

I feel like you're missing the key point and that is gently caress Ryan Braun.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I feel like you're missing the key point and that is gently caress Ryan Braun.

I know I know. But all I ever hear is "gently caress Ryan Braun he loving sucks." And the second part just isn't true, at all.

Poque posted:

that's fine but we're talking about comparative performance for a single player. When healthy he is still an extremely impactful player but you can't just laugh off injury concerns, they add up

And I'm arguing the injury concerns aren't as big of a deal as a lot of people make them out to be. Literally only 25 other players got the PA's in the outfield he did. So much for being injured constantly.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I know I know. But all I ever hear is "gently caress Ryan Braun he loving sucks." And the second part just isn't true, at all.

From what I'm reading, he happens to suck at being a decent person.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

no one is saying he loving sucks as a baseball player

he loving sucks as a human being

how is this difficult to understand

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Poque did.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kirios posted:

no one is saying he loving sucks as a baseball player

he loving sucks as a human being

how is this difficult to understand

"he's always hurt, and his performance has fallen off big time"

Also, I'm from in between Milwaukee and Chicago and can confirm that I hear all the god drat time that "Ryan Braun sucks at baseball" from both Brewers and Cubs fans. Which is why I go on and on about how I think Ryan Braun is actually a pretty drat good hitter. Sorry for the derail. He sucks a bunch (as a human).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol all I did at the start of this was say he can't hit when he's injured

as a joke, because you brought up OPS+ to prove that he is effective

the joke is: when he is hurt he literally can't swing a bat

jesus christ

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I don't think it's irrelevant to bring up his injury concerns over the past four seasons or so. OPS+ is an average stat so it is only impactful in the games he's able to play. I don't remember exactly when the PED event was so I was just looking from 2014 to present (couldn't remember how much of his 2013 was missed due to injury or suspension). 27 + 22 + 27 + 27 is a significant number of games per season to miss when you're supposed to be the big bat in the lineup.

his OPS+ has been fine but his highest bWAR in the past four seasons was 4.4 last season. His overall impact has definitely "fallen off big time" when he's sitting at 9.2 combined bWAR across the last 3 1/3 seasons

holy loving poo poo stop the presses

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros are good and likable unlike Ryan Braun who qualifies for only one of those

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

The Astros are good and likable unlike Ryan Braun who qualifies for only one of those

Hey man we already talked about this he's not likable

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Astros (13.5) and Nationals (10.5) are a combined 24 games up. The NL East and AL West are hot garbage. The Braves are in second place with 24-30 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ryan Braun using allegations of anti-semitism to help his team win by staying in the lineup while jacked up on dinger juice is the ULTIMATE TEAM PLAYER, it's like the legal version of sliding head first into first base while down by 4 runs in the 9th.

• Locked thread