Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't see it happening. They may overpay for a guy with 1-2 years left on their deal, but I do trust that they won't overpay for a rental right now.

Speaking as a fan of a team that wants to rip you off for rentals what do the Yankees need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

Pitching with at least a year left on the contract. Unless Tanaka turns it around and the Yankees look like they can really beat the Astros, I don't see the FO moving away from their "We're not selling the farm for rentals" stance.

I'd offer a strangely effective Jason Vargas but I guess he's a free agent next year, for some reason I thought he was signed through 2018. You can have a probably broken Ian Kennedy if you want him.

I assume Duffy is off the table. In the pen Herrera's the type of guy who it might be worth trading a good amount for but someone will surely be more desperate than you guys if the Royals move him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

Do you mean just in the MLB, because the Knicks have a claim here if you're talking about all sports.

Jets have to be knocking on the door too the last few years I'd think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bewbies posted:

At least they had potential aces, don't make me post the string of royals highly drafted pitchers from that era but I will if I have to god help me

The bigger problem is their criteria for drafting people past the first round or two was "will this guy sign for 1000 bucks?"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

I think the worst modern run baseball team was the Pittsburgh Pirates from 94 until recently. I don't think there's ever been a worse GM in baseball history than Dave Littlefield, especially after that rule 5 fiasco.

I don't know how bad of a GM he would have been with proper support but I'll put Allard Baird up against him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

gently caress Kevin Brown

Huh, looking him up I'd completely forgotten that Kevin Brown was legitimately really damned good his last year he was with the Dodgers. He was even serviceable his first year with the Yankees.

In my memory he died somewhere around 2000/2001 and was never worth anything the rest of his career.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

IcePhoenix posted:

Pujols just got #600 on a grand slam

Good for him, milestones being a little more memorable is always cool.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

The AL outside of the Astros are real bad this year. Oakland is the worst team in the AL and is only 5.5 games behind in the wild card.

I suspect you might have waited until the exact day that the Royals or White Sox weren't in this position to make this observation.

The AL Central will out-suck everyone in the end!

e: I'm actually kind of terrified the Royals will believe they're 'in it' and not try to rebuild the farm.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

(somehow forgetting Yount existed)

How many guys have won an MVP without making the all star game out of curiosity?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

I've literally gone through my last like four iterations of The Show without ever once playing anything but RttS

I almost started a franchise the other day but before even getting to the point of doing anything with it I was like nope, gotta go hit dingers with my ridiculously overpowered RttS guy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrMidnight posted:

Good thing Ichiro can speak fluent English or else he would have sucked in MLB.

He knows how to say the important things.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Not one cares about the Astros at Safeco. Case in point: the lowest attended game in the history of that stadium was against the Astros.

But now the Astros are good and therefore hateable?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

I am legitimately sad Moose is gonna get traded because I think he has a shot at Balboni's record. Jesus the Royals home run record is an embarrassment.

I'd be willing to give him way too much money in an extension solely because he might have a chance to break that record.

Trade everyone else off though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, La Canfora isn't just a bad NFL reporter, he's a bad baseball fan.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/872261342308302849

The Orioles won in the 10th after hitting 3 post 7th inning home runs if you're keeping score.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bewbies posted:

I'm starting to get tentatively excited about the Royals.

Yeah...don't.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/872970016748122112

Baseball is hilarious.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

On an inside pitch.

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/873684017723441154

That's also his 19th of the season.

Aaron Judge is going to kill a pitcher on a line drive up the middle and baseball will have to be cancelled.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

I know we are all salivating over Judge and I admit he is way better and more exciting, but Mike "Moose", Mike "Career High 22 Home Runs", Mike "94 OPS+" Moustakas hit 2 dongs today giving him 17 home runs which puts him well ahead of Balboni's pace.

He's going to go on a ridiculous tear and get traded the day he gets to 35 obviously.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bewbies posted:

Why haven't there been more giant power hitters? It seems like being very big and strong are good things to have as a baseball player.

I think the general idea is if your arms are too long it's hard to compact your swing and get the bat through the zone? I don't know, I just know that there aren't a lot of really tall guys who have been good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

1) Being MLB-level good at baseball is a < 1 in 1,000,000 quality.
2) Being taller than 6'6 is probably like 1 in 200 or so?
3) The intersection of these sets is small.

Being NBA level good at basketball is < 1 in a million

If there were an advantage to being a tall MLB position player you'd think it would have shown up at some point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wish he would have thought 99 was big in Canada because of curling.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chexoid posted:

https://twitter.com/NewsdaySports/status/874340312218558466

Gentle Beloved Baseball Oaf Doesn't Know How Babies Are Made.

Picturing Aaron Judge being born as a chestburster from Aliens now.

I mean they never describe just how the Alien grows to be enormous so that kinda works too, he comes out and two scenes later he's capable of swallowing Altuve whole.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Is the SEC a competitive division for college baseball? Cause drat.

I have no idea, but warm places in the south are generally where baseball players come from so I'd imagine it's a good conference?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The only thing that comes to mind about this guy after looking at this tweet then looking him up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pancakes posted:

Trip report from Citi Field: Scherzer good but he hits batters, Mets fans really hate Daniel Murphy but for the wrong reasons, nice park with great food options but steady diet of overhead airplane noise, lots of dingers and the apple is a stupid gimmick superior only to the Dinger Machine in Miami, specifically because it is less gaudy.

I was surprised just how loud the trains were when I went to a game in Seattle. You hear them on TV now and then but it just didn't stick out to me as much as it did in the park.

At least I assume they still have trains running by the stadium blowing whistles, this must have been almost a decade ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

Royals CF stuff

I'm trying to think of who else even stuck around for long enough to talk about. Brian McRae was there for a while, rarely hitting. They played David DeJesus out of position in CF for a long time--good player by Royals standards for the 2000's, but in my opinion never had the range to really play the position well.

I guess you could talk about Bo but his career mostly overlapped with Willie Wilson's and Willie was the better defensive player and took almost all of the starts in center. Well better defensive player but far from the more spectacular one, as is par for the course for anything Bo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

Damon is memorable no? I mean, he isn't as good as any of the other guys, but I would put Damon before DeJesus.

I'd forgotten he played so much center in his career before looking him up, I think of him as a left fielder. Probably my brain recoiling from memories of his arm in center. Yeah he should probably be mentioned before BMac or DeJesus.

Just going by whatever BR lists as a starting CF from 1975 to now and the other notable? names are Tom Goodwin and Mitch Maier. Melky Cabrera too if you want to count his one year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

elentar posted:

Seems like there's going to be an awful lot of sellers at the wire this year.

I'm worried about the opposite in the AL. Seems like the entire league can kinda somewhat reasonably (if you squint) tell themselves they're still in it right now.

e: it's not even teams fooling themselves after looking again. I mean the A's are currently the worst AL team and they're 4.5 back of the wild card in June.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 19, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

First time ever Special blue laced balls that were only being used today. I'm assuming they'd use them again next year but still.

Yeah but he's the guy who will do all sorts of bullshit so he shouldn't have to ask for a ball is the point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete posted:

If you can pull off a bat flip well reaching on a bunt single then you absolutely deserve to bat flip.

Could see it happening against a shift pretty easily.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete posted:

I unironically love bunts, take that SAS.

I'm a fan of most times guys try to bunt for hits (like, as long as it isn't the only way they could conceivably get on base), sacrifices other than squeeze plays are bad though.

Eh...change that to sacrifices other than the suicide squeeze, safety squeezes suck too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Schwarber's Scale posted:

He'll soon be back, and with greater numbers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sydin posted:

Which is super dumb because Verlander himself said he had no problems with it:

That was also just a perfect push bunt, if Dyson was able to do that 1/3 of the time he tried he would never do anything else until the 2nd baseman was lining up on the infield grass against him.

Like, as bunt hits go that wasn't a cheap one is my point I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Batting .400 with 162 home runs would give you a lower ops than bonds ? That doesn't sound right to me but then again.... Barrold

In that specific scenario you're batting .400, never walking and slugging 1.000. So a 1.400 OPS. Bonds OPSed 1.422 in 2004.

Obviously he didn't go about getting there in that way, he walked 232 times which broke his own record by 34, and any other player's record by 52 (Babe Ruth). He was intentionally walked 120 times. That broke his own record by 52, and any other player's record by 75 (Willie McCovey). So add in a few HBP and Sac flies and Bonds managed to have 617 plate appearances but only 373 at bats, getting on base at .609.

On top of that while he only had the 4th best slugging season ever that's obviously still amazing, he slugged .812 for the season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Isn't Chris Young the slowest fastball in baseball now that Jered Weaver is done?

e: Huh his velocity actually went up after the surgery

2010 84.7, 2011 84.6, 2012 84.6, 2014 85.2, 2015 86.4, 2016 87.8

I just went through two solid years of hearing about 'perceived velocity' every single time he took the mound so let me tell you about....

If you listen to the Royals announcing crew it's like he's throwing 98-100. Here's where I note that Rex Hudler is still on the Royals announcing crew and often makes me watch games on mute.

e: In all honesty being super tall and throwing a bunch of high fastballs probably really does make it look like the ball is coming in way faster, and probably made him effective enough to still have a career and actually be pretty good in 2015. I just got really tired of hearing about it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 24, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ha, just found out the Royals DFA'd Chris Young today. So no, he definitely doesn't have the slowest fastball in the majors at the moment.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shadok posted:

I am astounded and awed that Osuna had the balls to be open about this. Now I love him even more.

ESPN said it was anxiety, which I was going to say would be pretty crippling on the field for a closer. But apparently it's just real life that's the problem.

quote:

"This has nothing to do with me being on the field. I feel great out there. It's just when I'm out of baseball, when I'm not on the field, that I feel just weird and a little bit lost."

Glad the Jays seem to be ok with giving him time to deal with things.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Carlosologist posted:

whenever I play the Show I play it with the volume real low and usually listen to something else. if I could, I'd only want the sounds up whenever I hit a homer and let the rest just be ambient noise

You can do this though? Well I still have chatter from teammates and such (hit me a seed! Do I hear that one wrong?), but other than that it's crowd noise and the crack of the bat. I can look up the actual settings later if you need me to.

Oh I guess I don't have announcers talking when i do hit a homer though if that's what you want.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ScottyJSno posted:

Is there a pitching ''Mendoza Line'' ? An era or fip where no matter how many inning a pitcher would pitch in a season as a 5th starter that would not make it worth it?

There's no colloquially corresponding line as far as I know with pitching, but I'd guess if you consistently pitch a 6+ ERA you're about the same as a useless hitter for a ballpark figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Apparently former and current players have challenged him but he won't race them, per the article.

I never thought about it before but now that I've found out it will never happen I really want to see the freeze race Terrance Gore.

• Locked thread