Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think the worst modern run baseball team was the Pittsburgh Pirates from 94 until recently. I don't think there's ever been a worse GM in baseball history than Dave Littlefield, especially after that rule 5 fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know how bad of a GM he would have been with proper support but I'll put Allard Baird up against him.

If you want to look at a GM who got support in the same time frame as Littlefield, look at Bill Bavasi. First GM ever to lose 100 games with a $100m payroll. Fucker ruined the farm system in the process too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

Please return Rickie Weeks, Jr. to wherever he came from.

Reminder that Jack Z signed Rickie Weeks to be an outfielder lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sydin posted:

In the same day we had six grand slams and a no-hitter. Talk about running the gambit of extremes.

Did you account for the one Mike Zunino just hit?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pujols hits 600, Volquez pitches a no no and 7 grand slams, not bad for a day of baseball.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The AL outside of the Astros are real bad this year. Oakland is the worst team in the AL and is only 5.5 games behind in the wild card.

This means the Mariners, despite going to hell and putting up starters from AAA and waiver wires still have a chance to be in the playoffs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

*browses 2nd and 3rd round draft prospects*

Haha just kidding I'll probably definitely have never heard of whoever they draft with those picks

This is probably gonna be a bleak draft year all around.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish someone would Nancy Kerrigan the Astros, goddamn

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

You've had your day

(as a Seahawks fan)

I'm a bigger baseball fan than football fan, thohgh. The Mariners haven't been to the playoffs since 2001. I'm tired of the team being the joke of the city, and the Seahawks success made that worse. It just felt that the one season we may have had a chance got ruined by injury and the Astros getting bit by a radioactive spider.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In other Mariners news, they're tired of Canadians coming down, so they doubled the prices of tickets for the upcoming Blue Jays series lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you sure you're not just looking at the price in CAD

It's real: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mlb/seattle-mariners/mariners-insider-blog/article154557519.html#storylink=hpdigest

quote:

When the Blue Jays arrive Friday for the weekend, the price range jumps to $66-175. The range then recedes for upcoming games against Detroit (June 20-22) to $29-72, and first-place Houston (June 23-25) to $33-90.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One thing about Mariner fans is that we pick fights with random fan bases on any given year when their fans invade safeco. For awhile it was Yankee fans, then it was "Red Sox fans from Bellevue", then it was Blue Jays fans. If we played the Cubs on a regular basis at home I'm sure we would do the same to them too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

If I ever go to Seattle again I'll have to make sure it's while the Astros are in town so I can come decked out in orange :getin:

Not one cares about the Astros at Safeco. Case in point: the lowest attended game in the history of that stadium was against the Astros.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Grittybeard posted:

But now the Astros are good and therefore hateable?

Won't matter much if Seattle can't scratch the playoffs. When Seattle has gotten close to the playoffs and missed out, it was usually the Angels or A's that screwed them over.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tony Phillips posted:

Has any team ever immediately released a player in a situation like this? Or, if/when a player has admitted it?

The Mariners suspended Julio Mateo and then optioned him to AAA when he was charged with domestic assault, but that's the closest I can remember. He never pitched in the majors again, but he wasn't exactly released either.

If there's one thing I appreciate about the Mariners it's they get rid of toxic players pretty quickly, sans Josh Lueke because Jack Z had to save face on that terrible trade.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/872889256850501632

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

3/5 of the rotation is on the DL and the pen is completely gassed

Welcome to the Mariners circa 1 month ago!

E: technically we're still on 3/5 of the pen out with Felix, Iwakuma and Smyly on the DL, now that I think about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like colleges should teach a class on querying baseball reference (as well as pro-football/basketball reference since they all do the same platform), cause man I feel like I never get enough out of that site.

Also, I was in Seattle's Chinatown last night. So many Jays fans :sigh:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners picked a 1st basemen that has little power, but is "athletic." I guess they might try to convert him to a CF or something.

e: just saw a pic of him, holy poo poo he's a twig. Hopefully he can gain some mass.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Is the SEC a competitive division for college baseball? Cause drat.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners grabbed Sam Carlson out of the 2nd round, who was considered one of the top prep arms in the country. A lot of people expected him to go in the top 15 but he fell out due to concerns of him committing to Florida. He said he's ready to sign and will report to training camp next week. drat that's a good pick.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

Other concerns I read are quality of competition, since Minnesota isn't exactly a hotbed of high school talent.

I hope he does well though, I've held a soft spot for the Mariners since the Griffey days.

Is this where I make a Mike Trout from Millville joke? I feel like it is.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Nelson Cruz is going to end up being Jack Z's best contract, weirdly enough. It was pretty panned at the time, too. Oh well, broken clock and all.

E: in other Mariners news, they're no longer extending the naming rights of Safeco Field after 2018. Kinda makes sense since Safeco insurance got bought out by someone else.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 13, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My personal hope is that there's some sort of cool name to replace Safeco and not one of the big 4 of Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon or Boeing getting their naming rights.

tadashi posted:

Robinson Cano has been worth it, so far, too. I'd argue the same broken clock theory, though. He was just the best player with a fit for them at the time.

And those crazy-rear end rumors that the Mariners essentially bid against themselves... which were said to be untrue but you have to wonder where they came from.

I wouldn't disagree, only that I think Cano will age and make the tail end of the contract not great. We only have Cruz for 1 more year after this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

all-Rush mixtape posted:

N: The Astros drafted Trei Cruz in the 35th round.

V: You may have heard of his grandfather and father, Jose and Jose, Jr.

Man, I remember Jose Cruz Jr.'s rookie debut. Can't believe he has a kid old enough to be drafted.

When your favorite team trades away your star player for a couple of no name rookies in one of the most universally panned trades of all time and the other local team goes on a near perfect playoff run to win the championship, I think you'd be a little bitter too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

New Concept Hole posted:

But this is the MLB thread. :saddowns:

Der Meister was referencing basketball, so ya know...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think Yovani Gallardo is cooked. He can't seem to go any game without coughing up several runs in the first inning. Also, Dan Altavilla is super bad. Wanna guess which 2 pitchers have pitched for the Mariners today? :shepface:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently completing the cycle with a walk-off dinger has happened 6 times in history. That's crazy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Some Numbers posted:

Mike Zunino is finally loving fixed. Thank god.

He still strikes out a lot, but he went from 1 true outcome to 3. He's gone from being a laughingstock of a wRC+ of 38 to the 6th best hitting catcher in baseball (with a minimum of 150 PAs).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Let's play guess the umpire!

Answer: CB Bucknor

His eyes were literally closed on pitch #5.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

I'm going to pretend #6 was a called strike

Fangraphs tracks these and picks the worst of the season and IIRC there was a Kershaw pitch that was literally middle middle earlier this season that was called a ball, no clue who the ump was

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-worst-called-ball-on-record/

Cliffs: the catcher hosed up the framing so bad on a pitch down the middle the ump thought it was a ball.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Bunts deserve nothing but derision, hit or not

Incorrect, bunting to beat the shift is cool and good, and the only form of acceptable bunting.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of unwritten rules, apparently a lot of people are upset that Jarrod Dyson bunted successfully to bust up Justin Verlander's perfect game!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Do the Mariners have any chance of beating the Astros this series? I know their rotation is dead, but still...

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis/status/878290920462057472

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tom Gorman posted:

i demand abortion night

this is an outrage

This, but unironically

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish Rob Manfred assigned Mark Buerhle the assignment of making games shorter.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah a lot of the money they spent feels like plausible deniability spending. Like they can say "sure the team sucks but at least we spent money so now time to tear it all down" as if making your big free agent signings J.A. Happ and Kendrys Morales is really going for it.

Getting cast-off Mariners only works a third of the time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Drew Smyly is getting TJS, rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Some Numbers posted:

Well, that was a disaster of a trade, rip Ms rotation.

Well, it's not the end of the season. Jerry could make a trade at the deadline for a starter. With Andrew Moore here, and Iwakuma back soon, the rotation is Felix - Paxton - Miranda - Moore - Gavligo. You'd probably want to replace both Miranda and Gavligo, so Iwakuma replaces one. Get a decent SP in a trade and it's an okay rotation that you can hope will take you to a wild card.

• Locked thread