Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
NPR, PRI, APM, Pacifica, local public radio stations...what's the worst show they've got?

I'm gonna have to go with Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Stale news events retold as unfunny jokes as cringeworthily as possible.

also what was the name of that other financial news show...not Marketplace, another one that was around for a while, had a scandal re: the host's conflicts of interests. I remember the host talking to someone who was talking about a market failure, clearly not listening to the guy, and replying "markets! that's great!" Or maybe it was Marketplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

all of the above

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Prairie Home Companion is the loving worst.

I never seem to remember when it's scheduled and I always gently caress up my drive home from work/errands.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Tumble posted:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Car Talk :twisted:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
all things considered

no, you don't consider all things. in fact the exact opposite

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

I will loving fight you

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

VikingSkull posted:

I will loving fight you

How does it feel to be trolled

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

How does it feel to be trolled

:feelsgood:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Tumble posted:

Prairie Home Companion is the loving worst

Yep. It's on early Saturday evening and probably Sunday at some point

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tumble posted:

Thread closed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't know the name but it was some show on Omaha's NPR station where a guy would play about 60 seconds of a piano piece and then complain about how terrible the pianist is and then make incomprehensible philosophical hot takes. As far as I could tell that was it.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
There's one where they talk about words for half an hour that's the most goddamn tedious thing

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
anything Brian Lehrer does

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's loving Q.

It's Tumblrites: The Radio Show

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's loving Q.

It's Tumblrites: The Radio Show

That's the Canadian one complete with outspoken feminist guy who turned out to be a serial date rapist, right?

Outspoken male feminists committing rape is this decade's closeted Republican politician getting caught sucking dick in public, I swear.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Excepting the shows themselves, there's a health correspondent for NPR news that sounds like he's talking through a pint of mucus-laden saliva and it's foul to listen to him pronounce things like words with hard consonants

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
There's a thing called "The TED Radio Hour" or something like that. I can't vouch for how bad it is because the name itself makes me avoid it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Car Talk was poo poo

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

No. 6 posted:

Car Talk was poo poo

yup. two unfunny dads talking in the worst boston accents ever (and boston accents are the worst accents in the world)

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've never listened to NPR, but years ago on Halloween, I met a guy who explained to me that he was wearing an Ira Glass costume.

I didn't know who Ira Glass was, and I wish I still didn't. That's my story, voted Ira Glass.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

for someone whose job it is to speak on the radio, ira glass's enunciation is shockingly bad. it sounds like he can't be bothered to lift his tongue from his lower palate

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Capitol Steps makes me turgid with Blood Rage.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

No. 6 posted:

Car Talk was poo poo

Car Talk owned so hard and you are bad. Tom Magliozzi is a god.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tumble posted:

I never seem to remember when it's scheduled and I always gently caress up my drive home from work/errands.
its on weekends here, which makes weekend NPR suck since its loving PHC and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me seemingly non-stop all weekend, with the occasional Car Talk thrown in. I imagine the audience for WWDTM is all like 60 year old skinny-type aging grey haired women with a sea of grey as far as the eye can see

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Xaris posted:

its on weekends here, which makes weekend NPR suck since its loving PHC and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me seemingly non-stop all weekend, with the occasional Car Talk thrown in. I imagine the audience for WWDTM is all like 60 year old skinny-type aging grey haired women with a sea of grey as far as the eye can see

my brother in law is 30 and loves that show

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
:rip: Neil Conan, Talk of the nation was too good for npr i guess

except when he did that really embarrasingly cringey video game episode and he clearly had no loving idea of anything

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Prairie Home Companion can have some really awesome musical guests.
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me has a few good guests sometimes too.

Ask Me Another is irredeemable.
The Splendid Table is a close second.

gleebster posted:

There's a thing called "The TED Radio Hour" or something like that. I can't vouch for how bad it is because the name itself makes me avoid it.

Guy Raz does a petty good job with the show. He cherry picks the best parts of the best talks, and interviews the speakers too. Each show has a theme with several talks, and some have talks with conflicting messages. It's much more palatable than plain TED Talks. Some are also insufferable because they still TED Talks.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tumble posted:

Prairie Home Companion is really good actually, sorry you are too much of a broke brained misanthrope to enjoy something that's not super edgy, bitch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
also radiolabs is poo poo. they had a few good episodes like patient zero with aids or typhoid mary, but everyhthing else is just wacky overproduced sound effects

brzzzz BING wong ding ding brrrumph This is zshhhhh Radiolabs shhzrrrr from clink clank WNYC bling blinkg BRRR studios

RiperSnifler
Aug 19, 2005
Well shit
the peoples pharmacy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the worst show on npr is On Being, formerly known as Speaking of Faith, with Krista Tippett

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Prairie home companion only has like bluegrass artists on. gently caress bluegrass

Also gently caress Lake wobegon gently caress Guy Noire and gently caress Garisson Keilors soporific fuckin voice.

I had to listen to way too much of that poo poo as a kid.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me is obviously the worst, but everything else is still very, very bad. I can't believe I used to enjoy it.
Runners up: Ask Me Another and Hidden Brain.

The only good show on public radio where I live is a ~1-minute segment where a confused-sounding local biologist identifies things for dumb NPR listeners who send him photos. And the occasional music bump.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mystery fluid posted:

Prairie home companion only has like bluegrass artists on. gently caress bluegrass

Also gently caress Lake wobegon gently caress Guy Noire and gently caress Garisson Keilors soporific fuckin voice.

I had to listen to way too much of that poo poo as a kid.

Garrison retired you philistine. The new guy owns, though.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

Smythe posted:

the worst show on npr is On Being, formerly known as Speaking of Faith, with Krista Tippett

Yikes how could I have forgotten On Being.
So terrible.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll tell you what the best show on public radio was, Ask Dr. Science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRLstHNRsdU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

B. Birdsworth posted:

Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me is obviously the worst, but everything else is still very, very bad. I can't believe I used to enjoy it.

The only good show on public radio where I live is a ~1-minute segment where a confused-sounding local biologist identifies things for dumb NPR listeners who send him photos. And the occasional music bump.

all of these shows are extremely good and another good show that doesnt get posted about is science friday with ira flatow which is extremely good. he has a new gal who hosts sometimes now and she is very good too. i was skeptical about her at first as a big flatow fan, but ive come to accept her into my heart.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

B. Birdsworth posted:

I like Fresh Air and 1A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

Smythe posted:

all of these shows are extremely good and another good show that doesnt get posted about is science friday with ira flatow which is extremely good. he has a new gal who hosts sometimes now and she is very good too. i was skeptical about her at first as a big flatow fan, but ive come to accept her into my heart.

On the other hand, whenever NPR tries to report on science it does a terrible, dumb job.

• Locked thread