Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the goblin boys got so many am radio waves bouncing around in their skull they cant even muster a tepid flame of a minor radio celebrity before hanging their jaws slack and letting rush limbaughs copy slough off their fetid tongues and onto their computer keyboards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I know what those words mean, but that post makes no sense!

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
npr loves to have intresting stories and programs that I would like to listen to right as I'm getting out of my car but complete garbage as soon as I start my commute.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

berth ell pup posted:

I know what those words mean, but that post makes no sense!

thats prob because youre stupid

e: my monitor is on.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
If you're a passenger in my car you're listening to NPR unless Dr Zorba or The Splendid Table is on, in which case we ride in silence.

mods please change my name to all wangs considered or a prairie homo companion

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm really interested in hearing the specifics of how NPR has a liberal or conservative bias.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Smythe posted:

thats prob because youre stupid

e: my monitor is on.

that's the level of discourse that we're going for on SA these days?

seriously you butchered the gently caress out of whatever you were trying to say there.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

StarDate.

gently caress the night sky.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

seriously, as a man that used to listen to npr a whole bunch for like 2 years i think the worst is the music. always the music

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
NPR has a bias towards corporations and money

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

interwhat posted:

Yep. It's on early Saturday evening and probably Sunday at some point

i know i am totally cursed when it comes to Prairie Home Companion. I could have it programmed into my phone to always alert me when it's on and I would still always have to listen to 5 minutes of it before I realize I'm pissed off and hate it and change the radio to spotify or something

i have always hated Prairie Home Companion. It is one of the most intensely saccharine yet somehow completely insipid radio programs to ever exist to my ears. I find absolutely nothing entertaining about it, and I've felt this way since I've been listening to NPR. Normally, I can just avoid shows and programs that I don't like, but for some reason the universe has decided that I must be presented with A Prairie Home Companion at least a couple of times a month.

A few years ago, I was dating a girl and it was going great; we had a ton of similar interests and hobbies. We were amazing at pub trivia, we loved the same kinds of movies for the same reasons (although we were never really able to make it through movies very often, we would tear each clothes off before it ended) the sex was awesome, we had similar plans and goals in life, and importantly but overlooked, we hated most of the same things too. People underestimate how much of a wonderful bonding experience it is when you realize you hate the same things your partner does. The relationship was going great. The only caveat is that not only did she love A Prairie Home Companion, she had actually performed on the show before. Obviously, I'm not a hosed up enough human being to call things off because she likes a radio show that I hate, especially when I'm head-over-heels for a girl, so she'd listen to the podcasts on her own when she could, which was very sweet, but sometimes there was nothing else to listen to on long trips so I'd shrug and deal with Prairie Home Companion for a while.

And then one day, she had to move away. She met a guy half a year later, and had a kid with him.
I hate Prairie Home Companion even more than I used to, but I'm cursed.
It is always on.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
sorry my dude :glomp:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tumble posted:

It is always on.

:smith:

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

berth ell pup posted:

there was some show or announcer or someone in the triangle area, north carolina when i lived there (maybe it was national) but she must have been about 95 years old and always sounded like she was going to die mid-sentence.

Diane Rehm has a disease that affect her throat muscles (?), and she was a great host and would often press her guests. But yes, sometimes it was difficult to listen to.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Splendid Table is the most pretentious thing

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

my experience with on being:

"so quantum physics means my ancient religious texts are impossible to deny"
*host nods loudly enough to hear over the radio*

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
NPR is made by and for the people who are suddenly experts on federalism because they bought the Hamilton soundtrack.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Flambeau posted:

Diane Rehm has a disease that affect her throat muscles (?), and she was a great host and would often press her guests. But yes, sometimes it was difficult to listen to.

oh, fair enough then, i didn't know that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nut to Butt posted:

NPR is made by and for the people who are suddenly experts on federalism because they bought the Hamilton soundtrack.

The Fresh Air interview with the guy who made Hamilton was pretty interesting when he talked about ways to write raps with fast cadences that the actors would be able to consistently deliver.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Flambeau posted:

Adductor Spasmodic dysphonia :eng101:

Basically her vocal cords slam together involuntarily. Whenever "Diane is away for a voice treatment," she's getting her vocal cords botoxed

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Every Car Talk episode ever:

https://youtu.be/12RCEUsLPMQ

And I love it.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
This morning driving to a drs appt, a one hour drive

Turn on the radio

Black female academic talking about collective trauma and how slavery is the cause of all the gun violence in chicago, accompanying her is the pastor of an inner city black church in Englewood (a bad neighborhood in chicago)

Turn off the radio before he gets a chance to talk

listen to music for 45 minutes

Turn radio back on

Interview with Pigeon, who is explaning how she questions why she feels she is asking too much of people when she corrects them on her gender

she is non binary, asexual, but only asexual when she isn't feeling asexual. she described the tshirt she wore to her radio interview. it said something about being non binary. Also, she hates the childrens hospital in chicago for some reason

npr; lame and dumb

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Neukoln19 posted:

Turn on the radio

Black female academic talking about collective trauma and how slavery is the cause of all the gun violence in chicago, accompanying her is the pastor of an inner city black church in Englewood (a bad neighborhood in chicago)

Turn radio back on

Interview with Pigeon, who is explaning how she questions why she feels she is asking too much of people when she corrects them on her gender

she is non binary, asexual, but only asexual when she isn't feeling asexual. she described the tshirt she wore to her radio interview. it said something about being non binary. Also, she hates the childrens hospital in chicago for some reason

npr; lame and dumb

yes this exactly.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV posted:

The Fresh Air interview with the guy who made Hamilton was pretty interesting when he talked about ways to write raps with fast cadences that the actors would be able to consistently deliver.

He should've just cast Immortal Technique as the lead instead of handicapping his craft simply to avoid being consistently delivered to the garbage can again.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This thread is sponsored by Powdermilk Biscuits.

Pardon me while I go take a crap in Lake Woebegone

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Neukoln19 posted:

Turn on the radio

Turn radio back on

npr; lame and dumb

people wonder why the gop wins basically always

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Three-Phase posted:

Every Car Talk episode ever:

https://youtu.be/12RCEUsLPMQ

And I love it.

Yeah Car Talk is almost as good as Ask Dr. Science

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like to car talk when my uncle & me were driving me home from construction sites he would tell me the car problem before the hosts did. On the other hand one time I tried to listen to NPR and it was that table show and people are making noises like lipsmacking in eating noises and I nearly pulled over the car and vomited my lunch !!!!!!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

The saturday jazz hour on vermont public radio

All the jazz, all the whitest people on earth

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Probably some true crime podcast spinoff. I work next to some women who mainline that poo poo all day long.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
This... is Marketplace.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How does NPR make everything seem to boring?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
For all the Car Talk defenders here, how does it feel to be turning into the Lawrence Welk crowd?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Car Talk would suck if you don't care about or know jack poo poo about cars.

Fun fact: You know how Tom was always forgetting poo poo in the last couple years of Car Talk? That's because he was dying of Alzheimer's.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

butt dickus posted:

If you're a passenger in my car you're listening to NPR unless Dr Zorba or The Splendid Table is on, in which case we ride in silence.

came in here to poo poo talk Dr Zorba. was wondering if he armchair doctored outside of wisconsin listening area

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

butt dickus posted:

That sounds awful. Do you at least put a little music on when you're cruising down the highway?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I have sunburned in the rain and I'm not white enough to enjoy prairie home companion.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Democracy Now is bad in a hilarious way. I think the last time they mentioned Venezuela was when they had some Venezuelan government official on in March or April and they just lobbed him softballs the whole time, and now literally dozens of people have been violently killed by both government and paramilitary forces as part of a crackdown against protests against a slowly entrenching dictatorship and not a fuckin' word on it. This on a show titled "Democracy Now"

They're absolutely terrible at interviewing people, half the time they can't even be bothered to formulate specific questions or guide the interview meaningfully and instead just say something along the lines of "a thing happened/someone said something, respond" and just let the guest ramble on endlessly. I'm not entirely sure whether the Noam Chomsky shows are a way for Amy Goodman to basically take a break or if she just can't abide the thought of not letting him mumble on air as long as absolutely possible, because they basically just give him the floor for the entire show after the headlines.

That said it's not the worst in a public radio spectrum that includes dogshit like Planet Money.

Oh also since we're having fun slamming on NPR and Frank Deford's death is recent, anyone else remember when he got pushed to once a month last year? He really did not sound happy about that change at all at the time, I half wondered if he was drunk when he recorded the segment where he announced that change. You know there had to have been at least a few people at NPR that wanted him gone entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh since we're including local public radio, I think at least honorable mention has to go to Air Cascadia, which is basically an old super-granola hippie lady that incoherently rants about the world for fifteen minutes. It's not even a half hour program!

• Locked thread