Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
The Ted Radio Hour is the absolute worst of the worst, with the poo poo religious morning show for yuppies who are "spiritual" coming in at a close second. I lol at anyone who claims NPR is leftist. The most cringe worthy bit of radio I've ever heard is when the Ted Radio Hour had on some feminist on who claimed neo liberalism was liberating to Chinese women because it provided them with factory jobs and thus the chance to learn English somehow and become secretaries. That being said I like wait wait don't tell me :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Power Windows posted:

On Point. Tom Ashbrook is one of the most obnoxious human beings I've ever heard. He goes in the complete opposite direction from lobbing softballs; he steamrolls over every guest, regardless of how they're answering. loving let people speak, you jackass.

This is the whole reason On Point is good though. Especially with the callers, they say the dumbest things and Tom retorts with the exact point that you're yelling at the caller from your car. It's gratifying to have him question and probe people's talking points.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
gently caress this American Life.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
ItS tHE DiANe ReHM shOw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

She's the best interviewer in public radio.

neal conan ? ????????

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

neal conan ? ????????

that guy was too good for npr, so they killed his show and threw him into the dumpster
http://observer.com/2013/04/team-coco-npr-throws-talk-of-the-nations-neal-conan-under-the-bus/

unless he has a new program somewhere? i havent heard it anyways

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

that guy was too good for npr, so they killed his show and threw him into the dumpster

like a fetus, by a blm thug

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

http://observer.com/2013/04/team-coco-npr-throws-talk-of-the-nations-neal-conan-under-the-bus/

unless he has a new program somewhere? i havent heard it anyways

yea i remember reading that. bummer. hes still on sometimes, on all things considered tho. talk of the nation owned. rip

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Im Robert seagull

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
we have a local program called Forum with Michael Krasny (i dont know if other PR stations play it) that's kind of similar, it's not bad but not nearly as good as talk of the nation which was amazing. krasny usually comes off as a kind of out of touch and confused old man.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the commonwealth club, lmao

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tom Ashbrook owns sometimes when someone calls in, says something absolutely wrong. He then cites the source that completely contradicts them and moves on. Feels good, man.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When I go home and don't have a satellite radio to listen to howard stern I listen to Rush Limbaugh's show and I think it is pretty much the worst show, especially when it's not elderly people complaining about liberals and whatever conspiracy (which can at least be funny in a way) and he's just giving out advice on home renovations and electrical stuff.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When I go home and don't have a satellite radio to listen to howard stern I listen to Rush Limbaugh's show and I think it is pretty much the worst show, especially when it's not elderly people complaining about liberals and whatever conspiracy (which can at least be funny in a way) and he's just giving out advice on home renovations and electrical stuff.

Cool I wasn't aware Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh were on public radio I should stop donating.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

Cool I wasn't aware Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh were on public radio I should stop donating.

Rush Limbaugh at least is. Would you rather I talk about the local morning show nobody has ever heard of aside from other people who live there?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Why has no one mentioned NPR's best show The World with Marco Werman? Its the only thing on there I like to listen to besides the bbc world service at midnight.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I used to listen to NPR for 8-12 hours a day. Then they moved a bunch of stuff to LA, killed talk of the nation for some dumb poo poo, started caring about a bunch of twee music, and spawned hordes of wannabe Ira Glass shows. Now I listen a couple times a year when I'm flipping through channels.

Thanks for reading my NPR story.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I'm guessing either You Bet Your Garden is a WHYY only program or gbs just has insane reverence for "car talk, but for plants and its dead serious". Anyway I like when people call in with their strange plant problems that I will never have.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Smythe posted:

neal conan ? ????????
I think Gross is better at the one-on-one interview, but TotN was a fantastic show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Why has no one mentioned NPR's best show The World with Marco Werman? Its the only thing on there I like to listen to besides the bbc world service at midnight.
That's PRI, not NPR.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
at least no one has mentioned Says You yet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The best show is City Arts and Lectures.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rush Limbaugh at least is.

No, dumbass, he isn't. Do you know what National Public Radio is? Do you know what PBS is?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

FactsAreUseless posted:

The best show is City Arts and Lectures.

*vaporwave music in background* nexcht thime, on chity artchs and lechtures, on thisch public radio statchion

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

No, dumbass, he isn't. Do you know what National Public Radio is? Do you know what PBS is?

I can tune my radio to his show without paying anything. That's public for me. I don't give a poo poo what pedantic definition the thread is based on, to most normal people, "public radio" means "radio I can listen to without paying for it".

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rush Limbaugh at least is. Would you rather I talk about the local morning show nobody has ever heard of aside from other people who live there?

Rush Limbaugh is not on national public radio. You're very, very confused.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

I can tune my radio to his show without paying anything. That's public for me. I don't give a poo poo what pedantic definition the thread is based on, to most normal people, "public radio" means "radio I can listen to without paying for it".

Uh.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Smythe posted:

Rush Limbaugh is not on national public radio. You're very, very confused.

I can hear him every morning when I'm at home by tuning into 99.9 FM, if that isn't "public radio" I don't know what is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zesty Mordant posted:

*vaporwave music in background* nexcht thime, on chity artchs and lechtures, on thisch public radio statchion
Yeah it owns. It's the quintessential public radio program.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I can hear him every morning when I'm at home by tuning into 99.9 FM, if that isn't "public radio" I don't know what is.
It's private radio.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's PRI, not NPR.

I think we're including pri and prx.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I can hear Howard Stern over public airwaves too!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's private radio.

Maybe the OP should include a glossary if it's super important to stick to exactly what he wanted to talk about. I mean, it's gbs is it really that big a deal

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's like this guy doesn't even get the difference between a radio station that broadcasts over the air and is privately owned and receives funding from advertisers and events, and a radio station that broadcasts over the air and is owned by probably a university but also gets money from a Corporation for Public Broadcasting grant, and is a member station of National Public Radio but also receives programming from other distributors such as APM, PRI, and PRX, and receives its funding from a mix of business underwriting, listener donations, national grants, and support from the state!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Smythe posted:

I think we're including pri and prx.
Fair

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Maybe the OP should include a glossary if it's super important to stick to exactly what he wanted to talk about. I mean, it's gbs is it really that big a deal

It's ok to not know what people are talking about sometimes. No need to try and soon this is some kind of insane way. Take care dude.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like this guy doesn't even get the difference between a radio station that broadcasts over the air and is privately owned and receives funding from advertisers and events, and a radio station that broadcasts over the air and is owned by probably a university but also gets money from a Corporation for Public Broadcasting grant, and is a member station of National Public Radio but also receives programming from other distributors such as APM, PRI, and PRX, and receives its funding from a mix of business underwriting, listener donations, national grants, and support from the state!

It's also like I don't care and just wanted to say his show is bad.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Public Radio is the shambling corpse of what used to be largely government-funded radio. (Some programs still get grants, but it's not like it used to be.) It is liberal in the "Death of the Liberal Class"/"Love Me I'm A Liberal" sense (except for Pacifica, which appears on some public radio stations mostly via Democracy Now and which is actually leftist). When it sucks, which is often, the manner of it sucking will be heavily influenced by this.

Public Radio didn't used to do advertising, but now they do in the form of "underwriting." It's less obnoxious than "commercial radio" but basically the same thing. They do pledge drives to make up the lost government funding.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*rolling eyes incredibly hard* This FUCKER doesn't even understand the extremely complex and interconnected world of regional member stations, larger area networks of reporters and shared resources, universities, private entities, boards of directors, federal money, state money, business money, public enterprise money, money from individuals, and grants from private and public non-profit organizations that makes up public radio!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
I miss Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell

• Locked thread