Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

You have a lovely voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Still too expensive; I'll pass.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

VideoTapir posted:

I liked KUAC in Fairbanks, AK. They had the typical NPR jazz and classical shows, but also a wide variety of other stuff. Vs. most NPR stations I've heard which are ALL JAZZ AND CLASSICAL ALL THE TIME.

Combine that with the at-the-time-excellent college station and radio in my home town was pretty good.

Oh, and on the subject of NPR's rich white audience/donor base: In my limited experience attending live performances of such, there's one sure way to tell if a jazz performance is going to suck. If the audience has zero black people in it, it is going to be awful.

Now that I know the OP is another AK goon, maybe someone will understand what I'm talking about when I say Hometown Alaska is the loving worst

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Why has no one mentioned NPR's best show The World with Marco Werman? Its the only thing on there I like to listen to besides the bbc world service at midnight.

your mom gets the bbc service at midnight too

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

cda posted:

You have a lovely voice

kojo is the best thing about wamu

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Now that I know the OP is another AK goon, maybe someone will understand what I'm talking about when I say Hometown Alaska is the loving worst

Sorry, I left a long time ago.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

for real, ATC is perennially awful. every time I tune in they're playing some blatantly scripted interview that promotes Right Ideas. Pacifica's not perfect but I'd take it any day
ATC often has some good reporting, but both ME and ATC are terrible at interviews. Some of NPR's foreign reporters are fantastic, I love Elise Hu a lot.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Marketplace is all about listening to Kai Ryssdal get facefucked by global capitalism.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

ATC often has some good reporting, but both ME and ATC are terrible at interviews. Some of NPR's foreign reporters are fantastic, I love Elise Hu a lot.

and their music recommendations are uniformly awful

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CAN U FEEL IT YEAH posted:

and their music recommendations are uniformly awful
All Songs Considered has some okay stuff sometimes but they're way too afraid to turn the audience off with anything challenging or noisy.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CAN U FEEL IT YEAH posted:

your mom gets the bbc service at midnight too

:mmmsmug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BONGHITZ posted:

the commonwealth club, lmao

gently caress you, any show announced my Linda Hunt is Good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe the OP should include a glossary if it's super important to stick to exactly what he wanted to talk about. I mean, it's gbs is it really that big a deal

you're a loving moron, like dumber than the average Limbaugh listener

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

Around here we get The Retro Cocktail Hour which is pretty dope and I'm a big ambient nerd so Night Tides and Hearts of Space are cool, otherwise NPR is p meh. Also listening to them try to sports reporting is just amazing

gently caress Hearts of Space. I have to listen to that horseshit every Sunday and it makes me mad that there's never any good ambient playing.

Even the one time there was a dark ambient hour, it was just the sound of low winds and the occasional bell chiming. The whole hour.

gently caress Performance Today, too. Just because of the way old dude says it:

"Pehrfehrmunce tuhdauhyyyy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

FactsAreUseless posted:

All Songs Considered has some okay stuff sometimes but they're way too afraid to turn the audience off with anything challenging or noisy.

Bob Boilen turns me off of the show.

I used to listen to the show regularly around 2009-2012 and hadn't really listened in a while and started listening again recently.
Bob has become pretty insufferable to listen to. Especially when he gets even more passive aggressive then he did in the past when he doesn't like something that someone else likes.

Lord forbid something has synthesizers in it.

• Locked thread