Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Max Holloway is 25 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Work Friend Keven posted:

It was always weird to me that the UFC appeared to run directly through Dana White and that there wasn't the guy who'd say "ah yeah that all makes sense, that makes sense. Let me take this back to the boss and see what I can do. Ah they said no."

it's also hosed up that they renegotiate all these big fights on a per fight basis. it's honestly a miracle that anything gets done. it's really one of the things that a union could improve is some kind of standardization of pay and stuff because it is all over the place and the overhead is stupidly huge

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

mewse posted:

Yeah I don't think DJ has seen even a hint of what Dana is capable of doing to gently caress over fighters

the idea that he would just get rid of the flyweight division was pretty funny though

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

1st AD posted:

Yeah I can't remember how the points are structured, but you have to clear a certain threshold to get paid on points.

I think Eddie Alvarez was the last one with details of his ppv points that got released:

quote:

A tiered share of pay-per-view revenue, starting at "$1 for each ‘buy' between 200,000 and 400,000 buys, $2 per buy between 400,000 and 600,000 buys, and $2.50 per buy over 600,000 buys."

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

no dude he's right the UFC facebook didn't post any pictures about his streak until fight week. nobody could overcome that lack of promotion

I feel like their marketing has been off a bit since the UFC got bought and they fired all those people but I could be wrong

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Bundt Cake posted:

its a nonsense fight

it's inspired some real effort posting out of keven so it's already a big win for everyone

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

david carmichael posted:

I think dj is great and I understand why he wants tj to prove he can make weight, but I don't understand what makes the UFC more evil than usual here

The hilariously empty threat to close the division stuck out to me but otherwise I think you are right

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Veskit posted:

No no no no no no no

I'm saying that as part of the negotiation itself, you can't say that it's part of the contact itself that you will absolutely not get points as apposed to you won't get points unless you reach a certain amount of buys. The bullshit part is when Dana comes along and says absolutely no way we're giving you points as opposed to when you hit 200k you'll get them. One is being a complete oval office about it and the other is stating the contractual agreement that largely makes sense.

Yes I can read, why would i argue how the chart I said I read earlier works?

i've read this post several times and i have no clue what you are trying to say but im pretty sure it is stupid

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

listening to tj on brett okamoto's espn podcast thing he sounds pretty sure that he can make the weight and is willing to give mm his purse or whatever bullshit he's demanding

wish we would have heard of this about a page ago

also if someone could break down how ppv points work again, i think that'd be helpful

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Zzulu posted:

What's Mr.Leben doing these days? A true legend of the sport

https://twitter.com/ChrisLebenMMA/status/782495060189257728

https://twitter.com/ChrisLebenMMA/status/872322183875395585

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

According to a Dana White video on facebook right now, Conor is going to defend his belt later this year. Huh.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

a chilling warning from WME to chuck liddell, for sure

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm doing similar research but there's so many caveats for this stuff. I've identified bacteria that upregulate expression of a gene that if deliberately overexpressed in mice turns them into endurance athletes, but it also increases the rate of fat cell differentiation

Everything in microbiome research relies on tools and methods that are in such a nascent stage we really have no loving clue what we're doing, and everything needs to be taken with massive grains of salt

This seems like a safe way of increasing athletic performance I think. Are there other side effects of increasing my poop effectiveness?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

You could get more fat or less fat, you could get healthier or become diabetic, your rear end could get stronger or become inflamed. rear end bacteria can affect pretty much everything but we have no way to define "healthy" and the methods we've been using for years might actually just be a proxy measure of whether you have diarrhea or not. It's a fuckin mess

i now understand how/why you were discovering the power of poop as a young boy and dedicating your life to become a poo poo wizard

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Rigel posted:

This probably won't come as a surprise, but Mark Hunt's lawsuit against the UFC is not going well.

https://twitter.com/MMAanalytics/status/879505569895153664

The worst part is that some lawyer is taking advantage of Mark and probably making a lot of money off litigating this ridiculous claim.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

tonya evinger is the ginger woman who lost to gina carano, right?

yeah. this fight is exactly what you think it is.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Scrapez posted:

Is Mighty Mouse getting points or money based on the PPV profitability? If so, he should fight TJ. If not, he should fight a can. If he's making the same amount, there's no reason to take the risk.

They offered him Ray Borg on Fox or FS1 (no points) and then they decided that fighting TJ would be a bigger fight and on a PPV (with points). He doesn't want to fight TJ:

quote:

Johnson said no. Johnson said he wants to preserve the integrity of the flyweight rankings and not fight someone who has never competed in the division. Dillashaw has never made 125 pounds and if he misses weight then the fight won’t be a title defense, so Johnson won’t be going for the record.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Tyree posted:

This is omitting a lot of what DJ has said, which I am inclined to believe.

In any case, how many buys was the DJ/TJ fight going to get? Maybe 300k. So if DJ got points he would make an extra 100k on top of his 350k? Whats the point.

The only way this would make sense for him would be if he told dana, give me a million and I don't even really care about points.

What is being omitted except him complaining that they didn't market him enough? His Facebook post doesn't really say much more except that he felt like he was being bullied.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

According to DJ, he wouldn't get PPV points, that was one of the reasons he turned it down.

quote:

The UFC did promise to give him pay-per-view points against Dillashaw. But Johnson doesn’t plan on backing down. He believes he’s doing the right thing for himself, the division and the sport, trying to make the rankings matter.

quote:

Dana and Sean have told me that they have no interest in marketing me or the smaller divisions, so when they say that I will make PPV money vs. Dillashaw, they leave out the fact that I have to hit certain numbers of buys, which will not be hit if they fail in marketing me like they have in my previous fights.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Rigel posted:

Also he agreed to fight TJ, on the condition that he still gets paid if TJ fails to make weight and the fight is cancelled.

Also TJ agreed these terms but I don't know legally if they stand up or what:

quote:

Asked about DJ's request/demand that he receive full pay and Dillashaw's purse in case weight is missed - TJ states he has no problem with this, is happy to include the clauses and he has no doubts about making the flyweight limit. Says the clause won't mean anything. Later in the interview TJ happily says he will personally pay Demetrious if he misses weight, "no problem".

Snowman_McK posted:

Still, doing it for performance based bonuses that are largely dependent on the employer are bullshit. That's true whether it's retail or professional fighting. Promising PPV points to a fighter you refuse to promote is essentially promising money you know you won't have to pay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-R2p6DdK8M

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Rigel posted:

The UFC told DJ that if TJ failed to make weight, he'd fight Borg. So, they aren't confident enough in TJ's ability to make weight to offer a guarantee, and DJ didn't want to prepare to fight 2 opponents.

Right, but there are some legal questions about a clause that says "if I don't make weight, my opponent gets all my money and I fight for free" so that is probably why they didn't try to make that guarantee anyway. Also if DJ wanted to make some real money, he'd agree to all that anyway and if TJ didn't make weight, they'd offer him Borg and he'd be like "nah" until they backed up a truck of money to his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Rigel posted:

I don't see the confusion. If you fail to make weight, your opponent always has the right to decline the bout, and then you don't get paid poo poo. What DJ wanted was a guarantee that if TJ failed to make weight, as he suspected, then DJ would still get paid under his contract even if he refuses to fight at a catchweight. TJ is not entitled to poo poo if he fails to make weight, these catchweight bouts only happen when the opponent says "ok fine, damnit, I'll take the 20% bribe, lets fight". Things are different for DJ when he's looking at both a title fight and a record-breaking title defense hanging on TJ's ability to make 125

What DJ wants is both his and TJ's purse if TJ fails to make weight.

What if TJ doesn't make weight, then doesn't want to fight? Without getting into compelling specific performance laws or legal consideration, the UFC is paying out for 2 fighters and getting 0 fights. Is the commission going to sanction a fight where only one party gets paid? Traditional combat sports contracts have a show and win reward to incentivize both sides to perform, and without either TJ could just tap out at 4:59 of round 1 and be no less richer, and it is the commission's duty to ensure that all contestants compete honestly and to the best of their skill and ability. Also the UFC is wary of adding a lot of this weird stuff to its existing contracts for one-off bouts because they want them to be scrutinized as little as possible.

• Locked thread